Forums > Photography Talk > External Hard drives

Photographer

DeputyDawg

East Peoria, Illinois, US

Looking for a reasonably priced external hard drive somewhere in the range of $150-$250. Around 200GB.

The number of manufacturers are mind boggling.

Any recommendations of one make over the other?

Thanks to all that respond.

Mike Miller

Jun 27 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

*2E*

Yorba Linda, California, US

mike..

e mail me direct!
i'll fill you in ...you can get them MUCH cheaper

smile

2e

Jun 27 05 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Picked up a TEAC 200 gig for $135 2 weeks ago on buy.com

Jun 27 05 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

DeputyDawg

Thanks, Kev.

M

Jun 27 05 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

DeputyDawg

Thanks, Robb.

Mike

Jun 27 05 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

big fan of the LaCie D2 series- cast aluminum housing, pretty solid.

Jun 27 05 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

DeputyDawg

Thanks, Justin. I saw that.

Mike

Jun 27 05 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Last week, OFFICE MAX had a 120gb USB 2.0 hard drive on sale for $39 (out the door - no rebates needed).

One of the store managers said that a similar deal will be coming up soon, a manager at a different location said that it was a mis-print, and was supposed to be $39 after rebates.  I don't know who is correct, but I do know it was a great deal (they sold out instantly).

Jun 27 05 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Been using Maxtor Externals for 4 years - no problems..

Will hopefully be upgrading soon to some kind of NAS (Metwork Attached Storage Unit)

Jun 27 05 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

is there one that is more compatible with Macs? I know that fry's always has the best deal, but which should you get?

Jun 28 05 02:05 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

300GB Maxtor / USB2.0 - Firewire / 7200 RPM / 16MB Cache

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications … 01&CatId=0

Jun 28 05 04:32 am Link

Photographer

Ed Nazarko

Lebanon, New Jersey, US

There's a point where the stack of external drives will be completely overwhelming.  Wish I'd have thought of that before.  I've currently got about 1.5 terrabytes of external drives humming away heating my house.  I'd have been so much better off buying a RAID array last year instead of buying the last four externals.  Just a thought.  The longer you buy individual drives, the higher the barrier to a realistic long term solution gets.

Seems to me that digital files aren't going to get any smaller...

Jun 28 05 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Ed Nazarko: 
I'd have been so much better off buying a RAID array last year instead of buying the last four externals.

$3000 per TB.  Damn, if you have the money, then I say go for it.

Jun 29 05 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

LaCie Porsche design - 200GB / $200 USD.  Nice design and work well with a Mac.

Jun 29 05 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Ed Nazarko

Lebanon, New Jersey, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

$3000 per TB.  Damn, if you have the money, then I say go for it.

Nope.  Around $1200-$1800 for a TB if you don't get real fancy internals, just disks and internal connections, running either firewire 800 or USB2.  Yes, the SCSI units are a bunch more expensive, have more RAID options.  But if all you're doing is using the disks as straight storage, not as mirroring fault tolerant, you don't need fancy internals nor do you need the speed of SCSI (which on widoze is subject to so many screwy conditions that it's hardly worth it.)

What a fantasy - one cable to the computer, one power cord, one box.  Right now I have 7 boxes, which means 7 power cords, 7 cables using up 7 ports.  My air conditioning bill is directly proportional to my editing time.

My last external drive purchase was a seagate 300gb for $198 at Best Buy.  It's a slow spindle speed, but I use it for backing up at night, and as long as it finishes by morning the speed is just fine.  Four of my other drives consist of 4 drive boxes firewire/usb2, all purchased at once, and then hard drives purchased separately as they come on sale.  That way they stack, and I can take out the drive and use it for backup when I can afford to drop a bigger drive inside.  Had them all running via daisy chained firewire until service pack 2 for windoze xp came out, then everything got massively unreliable.  now all usb2.

Jun 29 05 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

cosfrog

I agree with the Maxtor 300gb one touch II, have a couple firewired up. Had an isue with the first version but they replaced it no charge/no questions and have no other problems. Setting up a Maxtor NAS next week to keep all the shared files on for the home.

Jun 29 05 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Maxtor is a good brand. Important things to look for are the USB upgradeability for future ports. Also the RPM speed is important, start at the 7200 rpm speeds and dont even bother with the slower ones, 10,000 are good and reliable by maxtor.
Personaly i would not waste money on a large size drive. Alot of stuff to lose if you lose it. Invest in a burner and put all your stuff on CD's or DVD's that way if you lose the drive you dont lose the data, plus you can use a CD or DVD in any computer these days.
Dont get a burner that is faster than 48, most CD's available to the public are not made for that speed. They blow up and trash your computer. Professional CD's will handle the faster 56 speeds of burners if you use professional grade cd's/dvd's.

Jun 29 05 10:53 pm Link