Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > promises promises

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

is anybody (besides me) over all the "pie crust promises"  (10 points to whomever knows where that quote came from) from photographers on MM. I mean a test is a test regardless, just be straight with me. I cant tell you how many emails I get from mediocre photographers claiming to have these AWESOME connections or these small time promotion people trying to get me to do makeup for a 4 member-half naked-no record deal group of girls who are sure to be the "next big thing".

The way I see it is if your connections haven't done anything for YOU, why should I except them to do anything for me? If you know all these people at magazines and in production companies.. why don't you have tears and credits?

I mean, I message photographers and models a lot to set up shoots, but I am straight with them: "i like your portfolio, i am setting up a tfp shoot with this person- take a look at my book and his book, then let me know if you are interested".

Just send me info about the shoot, your budget and pictures of the models and I will make my decision.

Sorry, I just had to vent. I can't be the only mua/hair stylist/wardrobe person who goes through this.

Mar 09 06 08:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Mary Poppins?

Mar 09 06 08:32 pm Link

Model

Models go through it too

I wouldn't be surprised if photographers do too

I came across a recommendation (can't claim it as my own and it was posted anon on another site) to charge your rate and then promise a refund or % returned once their promise pans out

It's tempting - jee you get your money back when I get my photos back from our TFP - or I sign the release when I get the CD - or you get X % back once I get that promised tearsheet - BUT I think most would pass over for the next one willing to take it no questions asked / no qualms... I experienced that first hand this week when I was asked to represent a well-known alcoholic beverage but I had a few questions about the contract, "Everyone just signs it" hm ok Does anyone read it first? sad

Mar 09 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:
Mary Poppins?

dang. ya beat me.

Mar 09 06 08:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I have had this problem before and am currently having an issue with a model she "booked" me to work on 2 differnt dates and then  I booked the date off said no to another test situation and then she said ohh I have another make-up artist for that date. and blamed the photographer for  booking another person to do her hair and make-up. What ever. So I agreed to do these tfp's but I charge a small kit fee. Now she is saying that she cant pay me even after she agreed too it. SO i told her to find someone eles I cant stand people who go back on their word or get you to do things you wouldnt normally do (like give a discount or what ever) and then nothing comes of what they say they can do for you.
ahhh its life , live and learn smile

Mar 09 06 08:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Whenever someone comes to the table with "where they can take you in the future" I know they are selling snake oil, but if it's a great photographer and a great model and there are scheduling problems I will jump through hoops to get a great picture for my portfolio.

Mar 09 06 09:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Jessica Steele wrote:
Whenever someone comes to the table with "where they can take you in the future" I know they are selling snake oil, but if it's a great photographer and a great model and there are scheduling problems I will jump through hoops to get a great picture for my portfolio.

totally agree. if i love the model and the photog, i will do everything in my power to make it happen.

Mar 09 06 09:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

and ashley gets 10 points!

Mar 09 06 09:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

That's why we must all live and work by this wise quote:

"You must benefit one of two books--my look book (portfolio) or my pocket book!"

(That's Faith B., circa 2005, tee hee)

Mar 09 06 09:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

faithb wrote:
That's why we must all live and work by this wise quote:

"You must benefit one of two books--my look book (portfolio) or my pocket book!"

(That's Faith B., circa 2005, tee hee)

I love that!  Can I use it?

Mar 09 06 09:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

rachelrose wrote:
The way I see it is if your connections haven't done anything for YOU, why should I except them to do anything for me? If you know all these people at magazines and in production companies.. why don't you have tears and credits?

this is the best reasoning I have heard to date to give these people that throw names around and puff about how they can help your career......The people that say stuff like that are always at the very rock bottom of the industry food chain

Mar 09 06 09:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Mary wrote:

this is the best reasoning I have heard to date to give these people that throw names around and puff about how they can help your career......The people that say stuff like that are always at the very rock bottom of the industry food chain

totally, thats almost as bad as the photogs with "fake" photoshop tears.

Mar 09 06 09:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:

I love that!  Can I use it?

I want to use that too- poor photographers and models are gonna hear that line so many times they'll want to scream.

Mar 09 06 11:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

OH I know exactly what that is!!!  I had a photographer who asked me to be the MUA for a calendar shoot.  Said that it would make great for a tear sheet and his huck of bull.  He said that the first girl would be TFP and then I would get compensation for the rest.  Did the TFP work, he loved me and asked for my rates, emailed him with my rates then all of a sudden, he "can't" do the shoot anymore because of "personal problems with his wife".  He took both his MM page down and his MP (Model Place) page down.  Haven't even gotten the CD from the shoot either.

I hate Photographers with "promises promises"

Ok I feel better now

Mar 10 06 10:30 am Link

Makeup Artist

benson

If all of the broken promises made to me by photographers had been oral sex I could have died happy!

Mar 10 06 10:44 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

benson wrote:
If all of the broken promises made to me by photographers had been oral sex I could have died happy!

OHH Good one LMAO

Mar 10 06 04:17 pm Link