Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > It's you're...not your

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

The difference between your and you're is audible.  Listen carefully.  They do not sound alike.  (This is assuming that you can enunciate.)

"Your" sounds like "yore."

"You're" sounds like you're compressing (or abbreviating) "you" and "are."

Same goes for thier/there and they're.

Of course this takes more careful listening skills than scansion of a line of dactylic tetrameter.

Mar 10 06 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

So I'm a word nerd.  Shut up.

Mar 10 06 05:29 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
So I'm a word nerd.  Shut up.

LOL... Brian, your awesome...Oooops wink

♀
p.s. I know you still love me...

Mar 11 06 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

elisaveta ♀ wrote:

♀

Don't worry, dear; I've covered my bases.

In my profile, I wrote:
...It will take someone really special for me to respond to someone who abuses my language with Internet slang in a professional setting.

I think you count as someone really special.

Mar 11 06 04:29 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

elisaveta ♀ wrote:

♀

Don't worry, dear; I've covered my bases.

I think you count as someone really special.

Wow, I feel so honored BD!!
Can I date Pie Bear now?

♀

Mar 11 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

elisaveta ♀ wrote:
Wow, I feel so honored BD!!
Can I date Pie Bear now?

♀

He doesn't know any vegan recipes for date pie--too much butter and milk and eggs and whipped cream... wink

Mar 11 06 05:34 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

He doesn't know any vegan recipes for date pie--too much butter and milk and eggs and whipped cream... wink

Oh, not to worry, I know substitutes for ALL those!! smile

♀

Mar 11 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

theedge

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

how about this instead of you're hot..

Frasher Crane speak:

The way this photo best represents the contemporary look into the 2000's is breathtaking, and that's not a overstatement....the way coloring  & the use of light was established with recklessness glory can only be a photo of fine taste and be enjoyed for generation to come and scholars to study and debate about...

Mar 11 06 07:47 pm Link

Model

Alcy

Cambridge, Massachusetts, US

i've learned so much today...yay...i almost forgot that i am no longer in high school...

Mar 11 06 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

I loathe such mistakes too. As I have copy-and-paste posted many times in other forums, if you are one of the unfortunate souls with a lack of understanding the language you speak, please get "Hooked On Phonics" or, drop out of public school and enroll in a private educational learning facility immediately.

For those of you who replace the possession of intelligence with a flippant, lackadaisical apathy and think, "Who cares? What difference does it make?" I can tell you in three words - Mars Climate Orbiter. That is the $125 million spacecraft that was lost by NASA engineers on 23 September 1999 because some numbnuts confused metric and non-metric measurements in programming the maneuvering system. Inaccurate communications can produce dire consequences. To quote Mark Twain, "The difference between the right word and almost-the-right-word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug."

However, one last note, if you're (that's YOU ARE) as sharp as a sack o' wet mice, like Paris "I-May-Be-Hot-And-Wealthy-But-I'm-An-Asshat-Moron" Hilton, feel free to use the words incorrectly:
https://www.defamer.com/hollywood/paris-hilton-yournot.jpg

Mar 11 06 10:05 pm Link

Model

K-A

Healdsburg, California, US

"you're...not your"

gary, are you reading this?  wink

One of my grammar peeves is the misuse of the word "myself". From http://www.drgrammar.org:

Me, Myself, or I?
According to The Oxford Dictionary of American Usage and Style, "Myself is best used either reflexively (I have decided to exclude myself from consideration) or intensively (I myself have seen instances of that type). But myself shouldn't appear as a substitute for I or me. Using it that way is thought somehow to be modest, as if the reference were less direct.
John and myself repaired the copy machine. (incorrect)
Jane drove Sherry and myself to the movies. (incorrect)
They should read:
John and I repaired the copy machine. (correct)
Jane drove Sherry and me to the movies. (correct)
This problem most often occurs when someone substitutes the singular, first-person reflexive pronoun myself for one of the singular, first person personal pronouns I or me.

Mar 11 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Merlyn Magic Photo

Long Beach, California, US

kateyourface wrote:
oh lord. didnt they teach over and over every year since, what, third grade?
now if we were having a math debate......i'd be screwed.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't!

Mar 11 06 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
If I see one more "your beautiful" or "your hot" on this website I might have a brain aneurysm. Your is an adjective...you use it to describe something that belongs to someone as in "your face is beautiful." You're is the proper word..."you're hot" You're = you are. It's an extra two characters...it's not that much of a hassle. Does this drive anyone else nuts?

Yes, it drives me nuts!!! lol Their there they're you're your buy bi bye It's confusing, but if this is your language, learn it!

Mar 11 06 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

since your speaking with red pencil mentality and i some what agree

the below was written and posted by a photogenic 16 year old

still exists name with held

Sincerely
Ron Blake

Stats
Age    16        Height    5' 5"
Hair Color    Black    Weight    100 lbs
Hair Length    Long    Bust    33"
Eye Color    Brown    Waist    25"
Shoe    5    Hips    35"

Experience & Availability
Some Experience
Will travel nationally

Fashion
Hair/Makeup

Other Information
I am from Belarus,I am speak russian and a little english.i am learn english.I live in Texas 6 month.I like take a picture.All peoples told me that i am pretty girl.When I live in Belarus i was going in model agency.I want to be a photo model.i live with my mom and my stepdad(he is american).I like USA,i want something to do here.Something its take professional pictures!!!!!

Mar 11 06 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

All peoples told me that i am pretty girl.  smile   lol

Mar 11 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

Ron B Blake wrote:
All peoples told me that i am pretty girl.  smile   lol

I like USA,i want something to do here

Mar 11 06 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Kristin Anne wrote:
"you're...not your"

gary, are you reading this?  wink

One of my grammar peeves is the misuse of the word "myself". From http://www.drgrammar.org:

Me, Myself, or I?
According to The Oxford Dictionary of American Usage and Style, "Myself is best used either reflexively (I have decided to exclude myself from consideration) or intensively (I myself have seen instances of that type). But myself shouldn't appear as a substitute for I or me. Using it that way is thought somehow to be modest, as if the reference were less direct.
John and myself repaired the copy machine. (incorrect)
Jane drove Sherry and myself to the movies. (incorrect)
They should read:
John and I repaired the copy machine. (correct)
Jane drove Sherry and me to the movies. (correct)
This problem most often occurs when someone substitutes the singular, first-person reflexive pronoun myself for one of the singular, first person personal pronouns I or me.

As to "me" and "I":  Another common error is what grammarians call hyper-correction, as in "Between you and I..."  Students, having been told repeatedly not to use "me" when the subjective pronoun should be used ("Me and Pete were surprised"), wind up eschewing use of "me" when they should use it, and incorrectly use "I."  If anything, the effort to be correct results in arguably worse English than if they had never been taught grammar at all.  I'm not sure if the teacher or the student is more to blame.

I ranted about "comprised of" in another forum, so I'll omit that rant here.

::taking granny glasses off and having a lovely cup of tea::

Mar 11 06 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Rudder

Costa Mesa, California, US

"it's" versus "its" and a few others are minor annoyances, but "definately" has been a non-stop, constant, source of irritation for me for over 15 years on the NET. I don't know any Nate and I'm sick of seeing him in words he doesn't belong in! Doh!

Mar 11 06 11:53 pm Link

Model

gsvb

New York, New York, US

lets face it
if your doing that well
it doesnt really matter how good your english is...
your not your'e

Mar 12 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Merlyn_Magic Photo wrote:

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't!

Just want you to know I got that, Merlyn.

Mar 12 06 12:06 am Link

Model

K-A

Healdsburg, California, US

gsvb69 wrote:
lets face it
if your doing that well
it doesnt really matter how good your english is...
your not your'e

you're not your

Photographer

Sponge Studio

Waltham, Massachusetts, US

Oh, it drives me nuts too, but it's so commonplace that we'd have to send people back to schools to fix it.

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

how about "LA" versus "L.A."?

i've seen a number of posts - (I work both in New Orleans & Los Angeles) - written with "LA", only to read into the msg & see references to Santa Monica, Hollywood, etc.; just wanna keep my destinations straight ...

fml

Mar 12 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

FML-Photography wrote:
how about "LA" versus "L.A."?

i've seen a number of posts - (I work both in New Orleans & Los Angeles) - written with "LA", only to read into the msg & see references to Santa Monica, Hollywood, etc.; just wanna keep my destinations straight ...

fml

Yeah.  And don't get me started about Iowa and Idaho.  They should re-name one of them.

Mar 12 06 12:31 am Link