Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Never Judge a book by its cover!

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER....

Question 1:
If you knew a woman who was pregnant, who had 8 kids already, three who were deaf, two who were blind, one mentally retarded, and she had syphilis, would you recommend that she have an abortion?

Read the next question before looking at the response for this one.

Question 2:
It is time to elect a new world leader, and only your vote counts. Here are the facts about the three candidates.

Candidate A.
Associates with crooked politicians, and consults with astrologist. He's had two mistresses. He also chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 martinis a day.

Candidate B.
He was kicked out of office twice, sleeps until noon, used opium in college and drinks a quart of whiskey every evening.

Candidate C.
He is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian, doesn't smoke, drinks an occasional beer and never cheated on his wife.

Which of these candidates would be your choice? Decide first... no peeking, then scroll down for the response.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Candidate A is Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Candidate B is Winston Churchill.
Candidate C is Adolph Hitler.

And, by the way, on your answer to the abortion question: If you said YES, you just killed Beethoven.

Pretty interesting isn't it? Makes a person think before judging someone.
Wait till you see the end of this note! Keep reading...

Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

And Finally, can you imagine working for a company that has a little more than 500 employees and has the following statistics:
* 29 have been accused of spousal abuse
* 7 have been arrested for fraud
* 19 have been accused of writing bad checks
* 117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses
* 3 have done time for assault
* 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
* 14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
* 8 have been arrested for shoplifting
* 21 are currently defendants in lawsuits
* 84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year...
Can you guess which organization this is?

Give up yet?
It's the 535 members of the United States Congress. The same group that crank out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line.

Mar 11 06 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Marcel

Fussa, Tokyo, Japan

Great post.

Mar 11 06 08:07 am Link

Model

Sxy6ftr

Springfield, Virginia, US

dude, I didn't know adolf was so straight laced, they say watch out for the goody two shoes...just like the preacher's daughter scenario!

Mar 11 06 08:19 am Link

Photographer

theedge

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jesus Christ & positive icons of any faith, never judge either...

Never judge a book by it's cover......

Mar 11 06 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

Great Post but could i ask were this data of information is from?

Mar 11 06 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

Malchow Photography wrote:
NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER....

e last year...
Can you guess which organization this is?

Give up yet?
It's the 535 members of the United States Congress. The same group that crank out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line.

so people aren't perfect ?

Gosh

Mar 11 06 08:52 am Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

This is very Myspace.

Mar 11 06 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Ron B Blake wrote:

Source unspecified.

The first part has been floating around the 'net since before the web, and discussions about the veracity can be found on truthorfiction.comsnopes.com, and elsewhere. Snopes notes (among other things) that "It has some good points, namely that by selectively choosing which facts to report, you can make just about anyone look good or bad."

The part about Congress dates back to at least 1999, and snopes debunked most of it in 2002 (with updates since then).

Mar 11 06 10:35 am Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

The cover??? wink I thought you were talking about it's content...this post goes deeper than the cover and into the typing on the pages...actually read between the lines too!!!!

♀

Mar 11 06 10:47 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ron B Blake wrote:

I have seen all of this going around the net for YEARS. never bothered to check it out for myself though...too apathetic. And, to misquote 'Lenny' from Spinal Tap, "I believe virtually everything I read which I believe makes me a more knowledgeable than those who believe nothing"

Mar 11 06 10:51 am Link

Model

Angie Borras

Kissimmee, Florida, US

I've heard this before  at school. Is  so cool  how we all thought the good  people were really the bad ones.

Mar 11 06 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Nerlande wrote:
This is very Myspace.

It may be vey myspace, Nerlande, but that is not the issue here.

The whole point of this post was to bring up a point.

And that point is don't judge people. Give them a chance. Give them an opportunity to prove their worth or ability.

Some people here on MM have yet to grow, or show their true potential. Don't judge them before you have met and worked with them.
Try to see what potential they have or are capable of achieving.

Mar 11 06 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Christopher  Marcel wrote:
Great post.

Thank you.

Mar 11 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Sxy6ftr wrote:
dude, I didn't know adolf was so straight laced, they say watch out for the goody two shoes...just like the preacher's daughter scenario!

Actually he was until he came into power.

~Absolute power corrupts absolutely.~

Mar 11 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Kevin Connery wrote:

Source unspecified.

The first part has been floating around the 'net since before the web, and discussions about the veracity can be found on truthorfiction.comsnopes.com, and elsewhere. Snopes notes (among other things) that "It has some good points, namely that by selectively choosing which facts to report, you can make just about anyone look good or bad."

The part about Congress dates back to at least 1999, and snopes http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/c … most of it in 2002 (with updates since then).

Thank you! I didn't have any idea as to where the info came from.

Mar 11 06 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Malchow Photography wrote:
The whole point of this post was to bring up a point.

One extremely valuable point to be learned from the post is that selective reporting can make black seem like white or ignorance seem like bliss. smile This is particularly true if the claims aren't investigated, but even with only valid claims, one-sided reporting can still misrepresent the overall situation. (Take the recent example of the Cheney hunting accident. Someone could write "Dick Cheney went out in the woods and shot Harry Whittington in the head"--which is verifiable as true, but misleads because it doesn't tell the entire story.)

Less critical, but still important, is being aware of common debunking/evaluative sites like snopes.com and truthorfiction.com, and checking out suspicious claims, especially those without dates. (For example, the numbers given in the congress example and stated as 'last year' are identical to the ones cited in 1999--coincidence?)

Darrell Huff's How to Lie with Statistics, a tiny book with cartoons that's in its gazillionth edition, discusses many tricks used to distort with numbers, and how to spot when they're being used.

Mar 11 06 12:06 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

Kevin Connery wrote:
Darrell Huff's How to Lie with Statistics, a tiny book with cartoons that's in its gazillionth edition, discusses many tricks used to distort with numbers, and how to spot when they're being used.

I heard that book was on the Enron bestseller list..... ;-)

Mar 11 06 12:30 pm Link