Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

This is why many internet conversations are peppered with emoticons, lol's and the other bastardizations of the english language that are NEEDED in many cases as it is often hard to detect tone.

I am more ironic than sarcastic I guess, since I do not usually 'attack' someone, it is usually to amuse myself.

However, sometimes I am sarcastic, and yes, it is annoying when no one gets it. Even though I am just doing this for me....yeah, that's it.

However, I can be so dead pan in RL that people still don't get that I am 'joking' so I am used to it.

That is one thing about being a mega-poster, is that with knowledge of the history of a persons posts, it is easier to judge the tone.

Mar 11 06 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I wanna know what Lapis said.

Mar 11 06 06:16 pm Link

Model

Emily L

New York, New York, US

I agree. I'm part of the national sarcasm society. You should join... because we REALLY need your help... wink

Mar 11 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:

Too subtle?  Not sarcastic enough?

I was being ironic in suggesting that Keanu Reeves is a "TERRIFIC" actor.  Your answer was matter-of-fact, so I could not tell if you got my irony.  I apologize for not immediately grasping that you got it.

Mar 11 06 06:37 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

William Coleman wrote:

I was being ironic in suggesting that Keanu Reeves is a "TERRIFIC" actor.  Your answer was matter-of-fact, so I could not tell if you got my irony.  I apologize for not immediately grasping that you got it.

I also think he was making his point of how it can be confusing.
Brian Diaz is a strong proponent of oversmilification....
winkwinksmilewinkwinksmilewinkwinksmilewinkwinksmilewinkwinksmilewinkwinksmilewinkwinksmilewinkwinksmilewinkwinksmilewinkwinksmile

Mar 11 06 06:40 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

which reminds me, should I go back to Lapis, or stay lapis? my name was inadvertantly changed a few times last night.

Mar 11 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

lapis wrote:

Brian Diaz is a strong proponent of oversmilification....
winkwinksmilewinkwinksmilewinkwinksmilewinkwinksmilewinkwinksmilewinkwinksmilewinkwinksmilewinkwinksmilewinkwinksmilewinkwinksmile

Thanks, Lapis.  Confusing ain't the half of it!

Mar 11 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

Get what? Word that are so clandestine...gooooosh!

Mar 11 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Just as a point of clarification, sarcasm isn't always an attack on the person being addressed.  The Keaneau Reeves joke was a perfect example.  Reeves is (presumably) not among the intended audience, but he was certainly the butt of the joke, and the wittiness of the delivery relied on irony.  I rarely (but not never) direct my sarcasm at the person to whom I'm speaking.  That would be rude (which I'll admit I sometimes am ... and I sometimes get a sadistic pleasure from it ... but that's a different s word ...).

Mar 11 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Tim Hammond wrote:
Just as a point of clarification, sarcasm isn't always an attack on the person being addressed.  The Keaneau Reeves joke was a perfect example.  Reeves is (presumably) not among the intended audience, but he was certainly the butt of the joke, and the wittiness of the delivery relied on irony.  I rarely (but not never) direct my sarcasm at the person to whom I'm speaking.  That would be rude (which I'll admit I sometimes am ... and I sometimes get a sadistic pleasure from it ... but that's a different s word ...).

Mr. Hammond, kindly give the class an example of sadistic, sarcastic irony.  Please distinguish from sadistic, sardonic - but not sarcastic - irony.  Then, please an example of ironic, sardonic, sadistic sarcasm.  Explain your answers.

Mar 11 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

lapis wrote:
sarcastic? me? never!

i second that statement.

Mar 11 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

People who don't get it are the same that take golf serious...

think about it, you hit a little ball away, go look for it, and once you find it, hit it away again...Oh yeah, you do it in as few strokes as poss.

Mar 11 06 07:07 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ian Weintraub wrote:

i second that statement.

IAN! oh goodie. Now I am going to have some real fun....

Mar 11 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Tim Hammond wrote:

Good advice - if I had followed it over the years, I'd have much less scar tissue!  (Writes down, do NOT direct sarcasm at the person to whom you are speaking.)

Amanda Schlicher wrote:

Actually, it could be considered sarcastic because there's no implication of irony in the etymology.  It's a common use sort of thing.

Irony implies incongruity which can be for the purpose of humor, harm, or dramatic effect.  It's only sarcastic if it is meant to harm.

Wow, gotta love a woman who has a vocabulary!  I suspect you sent a couple readers to the dictionary on those sentences.

Mar 12 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

lapis wrote:

Lapis is a goddess -- she gets me.  She really gets me.

For me, speaking in a straightforward manner saves a lot of time & avoids misunderstandings.  I also like the challenge of finding ways to be as clear as possible.

Mar 12 06 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

William Coleman wrote:
Mr. Hammond, kindly give the class an example of sadistic, sarcastic irony.  Please distinguish from sadistic, sardonic - but not sarcastic - irony.  Then, please an example of ironic, sardonic, sadistic sarcasm.  Explain your answers.

Ooo -- let me try.  I'll step out of character, just this once:

-- sadistic, sarcastic irony on --
Mr. Coleman.  I'm pleased to meet you.
-- sadistic, sarcastic irony off --

I apologize for being sadistic, sarcastic, and/or ironic.

Mar 12 06 10:03 am Link