Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > How do you do it?????

Model

Kylie Alexandra

Geelong, Victoria, Australia

So how is it that now days so many split from there partner/spouse whatever?
How do you stay in to your partner for the test of time?
Is it out of comfort or love?
How do you do it ??????

Mar 11 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

I just feed mine puppy chow, throw the rope and let her sleep on the bed and she is happy as pie.

Other than that-no idea.

Mar 11 06 10:39 pm Link

Model

Kylie Alexandra

Geelong, Victoria, Australia

WhiteBears Visions wrote:
I just feed mine puppy chow, throw the rope and let her sleep on the bed and she is happy as pie.

Other than that-no idea.

LOL

I could try that but my puppy may get mad

Mar 11 06 10:42 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

KylieD wrote:
How do you do it ??????

Very simple Kylie.  Eventually, your only joy comes in knowing. . .without a doubt. . .that eventually. . .they will die.  This said by my Grandfather, husband of 58yrs.  In jest of course.

I think that the glue that holds them together is the fact that they know that they each have one another's back.  No matter what.  There will be a LOT of ups and downs in a relationship.  That's the thing that kills a lot of relationships. . .people aren't willing to take the bad with the good.

Mar 11 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

I have been with my husband for 13 years now and for a couple of years I was really questioning bein married to him and was in a real funk for a while...But now I can say with all my heart that I love him more now than the day is long!!! He is my comfort, he is my LOVE, he is my LIFE, he is my support, and lord knows I need a lot of that!! He took on a ready made family and has never questioned his choices. My life is great and I think that if you find true love you are one LUCKY person! I do not ever see myself without him by my side. And knowing in all honesty that he is faithful to me and I am faithful to him we are like one!!! OK I seriously sound like a big ball of mush!!! Enough!!!

Dee

Mar 11 06 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

KylieD wrote:
How do you do it ??????

Love? Love is just a biochemical reaction in the body.

Like farting.

Mar 11 06 11:59 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

Love? Love is just a biochemical reaction in the body.

Like farting.

Leave it to Eric :-)

Mar 12 06 01:28 am Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

KylieD wrote:
How do you do it ??????

No partner.  We split.

But here's how to keep marriages together.  It's easy.

1.  Get a time machine.
2.  Go back to when women couldn't get educated, couldn't work, couldn't support themselves without husbands, when unmarried women were greatly disapproved of, and when food took all day to cook, so men needed women to stay home and do that.
3.  Find a mate back then and marry him/her.
4.  Destroy the time machine.

See?  Nothing to it.

Mar 12 06 01:47 am Link

Model

Knows how to Pose

Olathe, Kansas, US

I don't really know to be honest. I'm so young and so confused about love that when I'm with anyone over 6 months I kinda freak out and try to break up with them cause I feel like I am married or headed that way, I'm sure alot of people felt this way at 19 too.

Mar 12 06 01:48 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I'm married and we're happy.  Can't imagine parting with my husband anytime soon!  It's just a matter of whether a couple can decide and commit to facing the future together or they will crumble into prioritizing their own egos or interests IMO : )

Mar 12 06 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Sascha wrote:
I'm married and we're happy.  Can't imagine parting with my husband anytime soon!  It's just a matter of whether a couple can decide and commit to facing the future together or they will crumble into prioritizing their own egos or interests IMO : )

I particularly like the "anytime soon" part ...

Mar 12 06 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Fortson

Los Angeles, California, US

I blame the rise in divorces on John Cusack.  Yes, you read that right.  Before him, everyone's goal with their relationships was just to be better than their parents.  But he had to come along and fuck shit up with his movies and now everyone expects a movie-like romance.

Mar 12 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Eighteen and a half wonderful years of marriage in which we raised three kids.  Five and a half years breaking up.  If I had it to do over again, it would be exactly the same.  The Ex is my best friend and we still have the grown kids in common.  And alimony.  Now she's got her life back and I've got mine back.

I believe that it is important to be married to someone you love at least once.  Maybe at most once.  I believe that an institution that came into being when lifespans were around 30 years doesn't work the same way now.  It's still a good thing, but it is seldom forever.

-Don

Mar 12 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Eli Badger

Ashland, New Hampshire, US

How, the age old question, does one stay married (involved)....... Do unto others as you would have them do unto you ...... it has worked for 35+ years......

Mar 12 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Eventually, your only joy comes in knowing. . .without a doubt. . .that eventually. . .they will die....

One Sunday the Devil Himself goes out strolling and walks into a little country church. The pastor and all the parishoners but one run screaming out of the church. The sole remaining person is an old man who stays sitting in his pew reading the Bible and ignoring the Devil.

The Devil walks up to him and says, "Do you know who I am?"

The man says, "Ayup."

The Devil says, "You realize that I am the Adversary of God, the Prince of Darkness, and I could devour your soul with just a thought?"

The man says, "Ayup."

The Devil, now genuinely curious, asks, "Then why aren't you afraid of Me?"

The man calmly replies, "Been married to your sister for forty-six years."

M

Mar 12 06 11:47 am Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

been married for over 8 years.

when they are not looking, you hide the knife. wink haha...

you learn the real meaning of "through good times and bad"

Mar 12 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Once you get over the the fantasy of how a marriage is supposed to be and break the woman from trying to hold you to the princess fantasy she grew up beleiving, and actually take a look at REALITY, it's not very hard.

Most people are disallusioned because they somehow beleive the "fantasy" of what a marriage is supposed to be like.

I've often said that the whole idea of allowing a bride to be to spend 6 months to a year to plan a 4 hour wedding ceremony right down to the color of the napkins and the script on the invitation, is to teach her the lesson that if you can't pull off a perfect 4 hour ceremony with 6 months of planning, you probably arent going to pull off the perfect  marriage.

My wife can leave the keys on the coffee table and walk out the door anytime she pleases.

I don't allow her to "threaten" me with leaving and I don't threaten her with leaving.

Marriage isn't a power struggle (although most people try to make it so).

It's not about power, but about choice.

It's not about "happiness" either.

It's not different than the "career" fantasy many men and women have when they are in college.

Getting up and going to work every single day can be hard at times.

So can a marriage.

You take the good with the bad and make the best of it.

As if you would be "happier" alone or without your spouse.

When you start thinking that way, you are doomed.

I've been married for 16 years.

Reality can be harsh.  So can marriage.  So can singlehood.

When you look to the other person for all happiness, then you find find fault with them everytime you aren't happy.

I would suggest it is the other way around.

Most people can't make a marriage work because they themself are the fault, not the other person, but it's easier to blame the other person.

And this is the part where someone will come back and talk about the abusive husband, the slutty wife, etc. 

The reason MOST divorced people are miserable is that they were miserable while they were married and they are still miserable after they got divorced and then have to face the reality that their misery is of their own making.

Who do you blame for your misery once you are divorced?

Once you get past trying to control the other person, and realize there is freedom and love on the other side of having absolutely no control over the other person, it gets a lot easier.

Mark

Mar 12 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

KylieD wrote:
How do you do it ??????

We discussed this in my biology class once cause we got bored while pulling DNA strands, we came to the conclusion that it's because of the amount of different scents people wear.  Body spray, deodorant, perfumes, stuff like that.  They actually interfere with natural pheromones that the person's body releases.  And you should get the rest.  Too many people are with people that have a signature that is not an opposite of their's usually.  Thus the divorce.  They don't lie when they tell you that opposites attract.

Edit: there are also several studies on this that prove it to be true.  smile

Mar 12 06 12:24 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Gunfitr wrote:
Once you get over the the fantasy of how a marriage is supposed to be and break the woman from trying to hold you to the princess fantasy she grew up beleiving, and actually take a look at REALITY, it's not very hard.

I am so sorry. I really do not mean to negate the rest of your post, but I have read this line 3 times, and laughed out loud each time. (still laughing)

is that like breaking the puppy from peeing in the corner?

LMAO...still laughing...

Mar 12 06 12:38 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

It's simple, people find the time, the energy and the resources for what's important to them... If that's your relationship, and that's how your partner feels too, your relationship will last

Mar 12 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

Been married 33 years and still lovin it, we suppurt each other on everything .......she still wont pick up a camera though  LOL, and I dont touch her jewelry box  LOLOL

Mar 12 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

wolff wrote:
Been married 33 years and still lovin it, we suppurt each other on everything .......she still wont pick up a camera though  LOL, and I dont touch her jewelry box  LOLOL

good for you! but do you fill her jewelry box??? big_smile LOL

Mar 12 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Even if the puppy pees in the corner, you still love it don't you?

Marriage is the same way.

Getting rid of the puppy is one way to not have to deal with the puppy pee, but doesn't really solve the problem, now does it.

If you are committed to the puppy, you work with it, you invest time,

LOL

Mark

Mar 12 06 12:55 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Gunfitr wrote:
Even if the puppy pees in the corner, you still love it don't you?

Marriage is the same way.

Getting rid of the puppy is one way to not have to deal with the puppy pee, but doesn't really solve the problem, now does it.

If you are committed to the puppy, you work with it, you invest time,

LOL

Mark

LMAO...yeah you still love the puppy. Just don't spank it...bad for puppies, but not so bad for ma...errr, nevermind!

big_smile

Mar 12 06 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Angel Tara wrote:
you still love the puppy.

With ketchup!

Mar 13 06 12:05 am Link