Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > What are your rates for photo shoots?

Hair Stylist

AyannaMarieHair

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I'm a freelance hairstylist getting to a point where I do not wish to do TFCD or TFP shoots anymore.  Just curious about what other people's standard day/hourly rates are for shoots.   Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Mar 12 06 02:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

HoneyHair wrote:
I'm a freelance hairstylist getting to a point where I do not wish to do TFCD or TFP shoots anymore.  Just curious about what other people's standard day/hourly rates are for shoots.   Feedback is greatly appreciated.

you need to specify what type of shoot as they differ and the city you will be shooting in.

Mar 12 06 09:46 pm Link

Hair Stylist

The Mane Ingredient

Flushing, New York, US

I wish to know the answer to that as well Honey Hair. Alot of photogs and models don't think that we should get paid a good amount of money. They don't want to pay for anything. I think $100 for 3 looks is fair. And that's very cheap. But if the models hair is pre-washed and all you have to do is style it, i think that's a fair price. One photog wanted to pay me and my MUA $50 altogether. I don't think so.

Mar 13 06 11:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Hair Magic wrote:
I wish to know the answer to that as well Honey Hair. Alot of photogs and models don't think that we should get paid a good amount of money. They don't want to pay for anything. I think $100 for 3 looks is fair. And that's very cheap. But if the models hair is pre-washed and all you have to do is style it, i think that's a fair price. One photog wanted to pay me and my MUA $50 altogether. I don't think so.

OUCH!  That's too cheap.  And I highly suggest not charging a 'by look' fee.  You won't find any working professionals doing it.

Mar 13 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Genell Canty

Baltimore, Maryland, US

HoneyHair wrote:

You work is AmAzInG my dear.

The price really depends on who you are working with and how intense the styling is. Take a look at salon pricing. Braiding always costs more than anything else. Make sure that you get paid good money for braiding! It's hard work and I know from experience.

Mar 13 06 12:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Hair Magic wrote:

the cheap photographers and models are cheap because they don't make any money....they're just playing in the field and they want you to be like them.  If you charge more then they can afford they call you elitist, snobish, whatever.  Nothing insults a photographer more then working or hearing about an artist that charges more  for  a days work then they're getting.  They would rather pull you down to their pay scale then lift themselves up to above yours where they should be (if they were better at what they did)

FORGET what people think of your rate....Charge the going rate for your area.  Charge by the day or half day...per look is some kind of internet invention that should stay right there on the internet...

Mar 13 06 11:14 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Los Angeles, California, US

Paid Testing $0-100-150-200-250   (you are testing in hopes to better your book)

I'm with the girl who said $100 (for testing only). After you are working people into paying you for testing and the better your book becomes... raise it a little more.

Commercial $Your Market

Editorial $They Tell You, usually

Mar 14 06 03:32 am Link