Forums > General Industry > How do you define GWC?

Photographer

C and J Photography

Hauula, Hawaii, US

There is an inherent problem in categorizing artists based on their motivation, or rather on other people's perception of the artist's motivation. It is an inappropriate process and behavior pattern.

Acronyms, or categories that represent classes of artists, would be more useful and appropriate if they were based on other, more legitimate characteristic. Labeling someone as a GWC is just derogatory without any hope of a meaningful description.

Wouldn't the use of terms that describe the outsider's perception of product or behavior better suit the situation?

PWC = Pervert with Camera, or is it Perfectionist with Camera.
GWC = Groper with Camera, or is it Gentleman with Camera.
LOV = Lack of (artistic) Vision.

Back to my point, It really shouldn't matter to anyone else what the artists motivation is. I know I have a few lovely seashells that were not created for the art. Or were they? How can I really know the motivation behind the creativity? Why should I care? Yet I find them beautiful from an aesthetic standpoint. Someone else may find it macabre and disgusting that I keep the skeletal remains of a creature hanging on my wall. Occasionally the person offended by my collection might have their own collection, perhaps Butterfly or own a nice fur coat or a leather wallet. To each their own.

What does matter is Behavior and Product. If you want to address those I personally think opinions are more valid and useful.

If someone acts inappropriately it is worth the remark.

If their art stinks (to you) move on and let other people decide if and how it speaks to them.

02 cents

Sep 27 08 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Mr Black

BRONX, New York, US

The Rusty Horse wrote:
A GWC is someone who triggers insecurity in the arrogant.

Everyone has right to hold a camera. There are an awful lot of people, it seems, ready to scream 'GWC', who would do better to spend a little time in front of a mirror.

so true..
https://icemanphoto.com/Smiley/thumb.gif

I am officially a GWC
gwc?https://icemanphoto.com/Smiley/ahhhhhhh.GIF

Sep 27 08 11:14 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Sita Mae wrote:
After three years I'm better than more than a few of the egomaniacs I've met who have been shooting longer than I've been alive,

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh shit.
LMAO.... High-FivE!

Sep 27 08 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Mr Black

BRONX, New York, US

Jacob Fakheri wrote:

Well, what you are saying basically implies that there is a license/liberty debate on whether or not you can physically hold an object. As far as I know currently, in laws around the states, there is no licensing exam, no test to take, etc, to be able to physically pick up a camera, and take photographs.

Sorry, but... that's a stupid position. From a purely legal standpoint.

I concur
https://icemanphoto.com/Smiley/thumb.gif

Sep 27 08 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

The Rusty Horse wrote:

Everyone has right to hold a camera. There are an awful lot of people, it seems, ready to scream 'GWC', who would do better to spend a little time in front of a mirror.

/discussion.

Sep 27 08 11:26 am Link

Photographer

bmiSTUDIO

Morristown, Vermont, US

Digital Fantastique wrote:
I think a GWC's work defines them as such.

Anyone can pick up a camera and shoot but it isn't hard to determine whether someone is a hobbyist or a talented eye with some skills.

You can't fake vision, but I've also seen some skilled photographers with a good working knowledge of lighting and the technical aspects of photography who don't take very interesting photos.

Eye of the beholder, I guess.

Your work is great, by the way.

You can find many GWCs that have a great grasp of photography, both technically and creatively. They can produce stunning images. Many are well off financially, so they can acquire top of the line cameras and equipment and hire the best models. I tend to think of a GWC based on their behavior. Most that I have met personally are photographers simply because they want to photograph naked women. They tend to be crass and unprofessional, they come on to the models, they touch and fondle them, etc. I have seen them do so in large group settings, so they either don't care what others think or they are ignorant enough to think that their behavior is acceptable.

Sep 27 08 11:30 am Link

Photographer

ledrayphoto

Laguna, California, US

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/mikeledray/426117261575010.jpg

would you call ME a GWC?

Sep 27 08 11:31 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto II

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

I define GWC as a nasty, extremely offensive slur used to insult and degrade photographers and make the person using the term feel like a superior being.  It's the N word of photography.  I'd support a rule permanently banning anyone who uses it on MM.

Sep 27 08 11:32 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto II

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

The Rusty Horse wrote:

Exactly.

Sep 27 08 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

BMImages Studio wrote:
Most that I have met personally are photographers simply because they want to photograph naked women. They tend to be crass and unprofessional, they come on to the models, they touch and fondle them, etc. I have seen them do so in large group settings, so they either don't care what others think or they are ignorant enough to think that their behavior is acceptable.

The more i hear this stereotype promoted, the less i believe it exists.

Sep 27 08 11:34 am Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

BMImages Studio wrote:

You can find many GWCs that have a great grasp of photography, both technically and creatively. They can produce stunning images. Many are well off financially, so they can acquire top of the line cameras and equipment and hire the best models. I tend to think of a GWC based on their behavior. Most that I have met personally are photographers simply because they want to photograph naked women. They tend to be crass and unprofessional, they come on to the models, they touch and fondle them, etc. I have seen them do so in large group settings, so they either don't care what others think or they are ignorant enough to think that their behavior is acceptable.

Good observation.  I actually saw a webmaster of a modeling site exhibit similar behavior... in fact, it's part of what prompted the discussion that led to the first use of the term.

Sep 27 08 11:34 am Link

Photographer

ledrayphoto

Laguna, California, US

Can a GWC have more than One Camera?

Sep 27 08 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Fiddlers Green Photo

Edmonds, Washington, US

I have a bunch of cameras! Hahaha

I have said this one before and I'll say it again:

If you have a stick up your ass everyone else is a GWC

I could give a crap.

I like naked women, I recommend them as fitting subjects for art.

I like ships, boats, and birds too.

I like you.

Etc

Sep 27 08 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

The Rusty Horse wrote:

Well said and right on point,GWC are as much a part of this thing we do with a camera as anyone else.They don't owe anyone an explaination  or an apology for what they do or why they do it,the same goes for me or you.Everyone who claims he is only in it for the art and beauty is being a hypocrit,the reason we see beauty and art is because the opposite gender is attractive to us,period.We translate that into many different forms and expressions of appreciation,but deep down inside we are all the same.
   Not to mention some of the best photographers started out as "The Dreaded GWC",and learned something along the way.

Sep 27 08 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

The Rusty Horse wrote:

I'd have to say it depends a lot on who's defining it.

Personally, I call anyone who claims to be a "professional" photographer with enough connections in the industry to blackball a "model" who fails to reply to his e-mail but simultaneously claims to be working 70+ hours per week at a job that is *not* photography a "GWC."

Sep 27 08 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Æmagine

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

It's usually used by a person who thinks they're a pro who is attempting to differentiate him/herself from anyone that person thinks is below him/her.  Transitionary arrogance if you will.

I don't hear real pro's talking about GWCs.

I don't view it as a derogatory term.  We have the word pervert for that.
I've met many who would be considered GWCs who are quite good photographers, they're just not pros.

Sep 27 08 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Amelia G

Los Angeles, California, US

stan wigmore photograph wrote:
Well said and right on point,GWC are as much a part of this thing we do with a camera as anyone else.They don't owe anyone an explaination  or an apology for what they do or why they do it,the same goes for me or you.Everyone who claims he is only in it for the art and beauty is being a hypocrit,the reason we see beauty and art is because the opposite gender is attractive to us,period.We translate that into many different forms and expressions of appreciation,but deep down inside we are all the same.
   Not to mention some of the best photographers started out as "The Dreaded GWC",and learned something along the way.

I do not think amateur and GWC are remotely synonymous.

But are you saying you think all photographers want to sleep with their models but inexplicably use cameras for the interaction, instead of the more usual body parts? You think people only photograph the gender which matches their sexual preference?

Cause, if that is what you are saying, it is kinda, ya know, ridiculous.

Expressing sensuality or sexuality or anger or sorrow or any other portion of the human experience through art is the point of the exercise. If the only point is to get next to a naked person, I recommend, ya know, dating.

Sep 27 08 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

AUTONOMY

Sita Mae wrote:
I am so...fucking...sick of the GWC debate.  I am tired of it being used as a synonym for an amateur, or someone who is just beginning to develop their business.  I am tired of being continually put down and insulted by virtue of the fact that photography isn't my career, as though the exchange of money is the only measure of value in the world.

Fuck that.  I'm a damn good photographer, and I am sick to fucking death of being treated as though I am some sweaty-palmed sleazeball simply because I'm new.  After three years I'm better than more than a few of the egomaniacs I've met who have been shooting longer than I've been alive, and who like to beat us all over the head with that fact on a regular basis.

Yeah.  I said it.

So guess what, folks?  If my piddly little self, with my three years of experience and my small paid jobs and my collaborative shoots is actually impacting the business of supposedly brilliant, experienced, full time professional photographers, then guess what?

The problem ain't me.

I think that sums it the fuck up!

Sep 27 08 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

JSPHOTO

Appleton, Wisconsin, US

Amelia G wrote:
I wondered about this while reading another thread where people were discussing whether the economic downturn would decrease GWCs or give them an edge.

I think it is frustrating for any artist trying to get by to offer someone a totally fair and commercially viable rate and have them come back with the rate a GWC gave them. The whole point is that a GWC is not basing their rates or policies on being a professional artist, so, when paying a model a gajillion dollars an hour or whatever, a GWC does not have to factor in how little they will actually make from wherever the work is likely to be published. I do not think of GWC as meaning someone who is untalented or a beginner necessarily, just someone who is holding the camera for reasons which have little to do with the final image.

How do you define GWC?

Really easy: 

A Photographer is concerned with what they shoot and how it's shot.

A GWC is concerned with who they shot and how they're hot.

Joel

Sep 27 08 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Denny Lee Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm a recovering GWC.... (no lie)
=P

or is there such a thing as a wannabeGWC??

Sep 27 08 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

SineadMcCarthy

Long Beach, New York, US

As a model I will always keep my rate negotiable. There are certain photographers who I would shoot with for nothing. Others who I might even consider raising my rate for. Also as a model one has to keep in mind that paid and published shoots raise exposure as opposed to joe schmoe who wanted to be with a naked girl and play camera won't.
I don't define gwc, I think everyone should be respected for trying to create something with a camera.

Sep 27 08 10:05 pm Link

Model

Beccalette Synthetic

Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada

I'm gonna get really technical.

It's...
a guy...with a camera.

Sep 27 08 11:10 pm Link

Model

Beccalette Synthetic

Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada

photoscloseup wrote:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/mikeledray/426117261575010.jpg

would you call ME a GWC?

No, I'd call you effin' hot.

Sep 27 08 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Ferreira

Port of Spain, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago

gwc brings images of pervs to my head

Sep 27 08 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Sita Mae wrote:
I am so...fucking...sick of the GWC debate.  I am tired of it being used as a synonym for an amateur, or someone who is just beginning to develop their business.  I am tired of being continually put down and insulted by virtue of the fact that photography isn't my career, as though the exchange of money is the only measure of value in the world.

Fuck that.  I'm a damn good photographer, and I am sick to fucking death of being treated as though I am some sweaty-palmed sleazeball simply because I'm new.  After three years I'm better than more than a few of the egomaniacs I've met who have been shooting longer than I've been alive, and who like to beat us all over the head with that fact on a regular basis.

Yeah.  I said it.

So guess what, folks?  If my piddly little self, with my three years of experience and my small paid jobs and my collaborative shoots is actually impacting the business of supposedly brilliant, experienced, full time professional photographers, then guess what?

The problem ain't me.

Amen brother!

To paraphrase Chase Jarvis, if you're worried about GWC's, then you need to become a better photographer.  :-)

Sep 27 08 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

R80

Marceline, Missouri, US

Ah, finally got another abreviation cleared up.  I always wondered what the hell these people were talking about....Winston Churchhill was never a general.

Sep 28 08 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Temple City, California, US

A GWC is more like a college student with out a Major. He or she has no idea what they are doing in college don't even care how much they spend on books or classes since Daddy and Mommie are paying for it and just want to get out of haveing a 9 to 5 job. So it means that a GWC is some one who has been around people who have and use their cameras in a professional way but just want to show of that they can do better A GWC may be some one who just loves to shoot pictures and hopes one day to get a very nice one that they may sell or use in a gallary.Some GWC are like Cogars they just go out for the young stuff. GWC may or may not have any photography skills or know how to print or do photoshop. Some GWC's by cheap over the counter cameras and if it has a big lens much much more better to make them look profesional.

I was a GWC when i was 13 now im just a MWC Man With Camera

Sep 28 08 01:14 am Link

Photographer

coach moon

Pensacola, Florida, US

Sita Mae wrote:

Yeah.  I said it.

The problem ain't me.

haha. fuck yeah.

Sep 28 08 01:16 am Link

Photographer

coach moon

Pensacola, Florida, US

Sita Mae wrote:

Ought To Be Shot wrote:
Amen brother!

To paraphrase Chase Jarvis, if you're worried about GWC's, then you need to become a better photographer.  :-)

that thur brother's a sister, brother. ninja

Sep 28 08 01:19 am Link

Model

GAusten

Ladue, Missouri, US

RStephenT wrote:
When we first coined the term "GWC" (in OMP's chat room) after my return from the great OMP Las Vegas shootout it was intended to reflect what I had seen.  GWC is simply a guy who uses his camera to get close to attractive women... the images are secondary.  That's all it was intended to reflect. 

And it is in distinct difference towards amateurs who might be very talented but simply don't make their living from their photographic pursuits.

Calling an amateur, or a newbie a "GWC" automatically is incorrect and offensive.

Confused about why some keep getting deffensive for others in the past having called them a "gwc" ....  if this is the original meaning of the coined term???  I mean, you can call me whatever you want, but I know what I am and am not ---  so just "brush it off" already.  I have a perfect example of a "GWC" but will not place his name on his thread. He's been making a living off of the industry for a long time ....  but the images are crappy, there is no talent involved in the end result ... and one other consistent feature? ... he always tries to get the girls to do nudes .... in a "I've been doing this for years so you can trust me" kinda way.

Anyway --- "And it is in distinct difference towards amateurs who might be very talented but simply don't make their living from their photographic pursuits."

...in distinct difference .... ummmmm ..... what is so hard to understand about this statement????

Sep 28 08 01:31 am Link

Photographer

Nicholas Cooper

Portland, Oregon, US

It's one of those things I have never really cared about, or paid attention to. I am familiar with the acronym, and I would hope it doesn't apply to me. I do lack experience with portrait work, but I don't lack skill when it comes to using a camera. I've been shooting landscape for a little over 2 years and want to do something different. I'm not looking for dates, don't care if I see a naked model, etc. I just want to take some great shots that myself and the people involved can feel proud of. I'm happily in a relationship and even when I was single, I didn't have that mentality.

Not only that, but I'm one of those fat guys that most models wouldn't even look twice at... haha.

Sep 28 08 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Pawlak

New York, New York, US

Amelia G wrote:
I wondered about this while reading another thread where people were discussing whether the economic downturn would decrease GWCs or give them an edge.

I think it is frustrating for any artist trying to get by to offer someone a totally fair and commercially viable rate and have them come back with the rate a GWC gave them. The whole point is that a GWC is not basing their rates or policies on being a professional artist, so, when paying a model a gajillion dollars an hour or whatever, a GWC does not have to factor in how little they will actually make from wherever the work is likely to be published. I do not think of GWC as meaning someone who is untalented or a beginner necessarily, just someone who is holding the camera for reasons which have little to do with the final image.

How do you define GWC?

It might be:
a beginner, talented
a beginner, untalented
someone who is holding the camera for reasons which have little to do with the final image
or anyone with very little equipment and/or knowledge;

hence: GUY with CAMERA.

I don't know how the economy will effect anything yet...
and if a GUY is charging a rate to models, is he even still a GWC anymore?

(I've just picked up a camera for the first time this year...I don't consider myself GWC though).

Sep 28 08 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Pawlak

New York, New York, US

C and J Photography wrote:
PWC = Pervert with Camera, or is it Perfectionist with Camera.
GWC = Groper with Camera, or is it Gentleman with Camera.
LOV = Lack of (artistic) Vision.

Pervert/Perfectionist WC

I'm not those other 2

and LOV sounds LOVely...

Sep 28 08 02:01 am Link

Photographer

CarlMaiorinoPhotography

New York, New York, US

Sita Mae wrote:

Yeah.  I said it.

The problem ain't me.

Thank you for saying it...I am doubly fucking sick of this tired old horse being beaten to death several times a week.  I don't understand the obsession on these forums with this topic...

Sep 28 08 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Visual Edge

Fenton, Michigan, US

Being new to photography or amateur does not automatically mean someone lacks passion in their work. We were all new at some point. GWC is often seen as a negative suggesting that the person in question only uses the camera to be around models. I think people often mistake experience or limited experience as a reflection on someones conduct.

There is a difference between conducting yourself in a in a professional manner and photography being your profession aka "Professional Photographer" A person that is new to the industry or has limited experience may some day be one of the legends of the industry. It by no means automatically means they are incapable of proper conduct just as years of experience automatically means you are a saint.

Everyone has their reasons to pick up a camera. It can be money, passion for their art, perversion, etc, etc... or even a combination of many reasons. I love what I do. Making a living at it can be tough at times. I also enjoy the interaction with people and I am very passionate about my work.

When I look for models to work with I look at what they bring to the shoot. Do they fit the look I need or my client needs, and I hope they are also passionate about what they do. I hope they are professional in their conduct and they will be on time and dedicated to creating the best images possible. This is not always the case of course.

If you are a photographer new or seasoned pro the labels are a waste of time. The industry is changing and that is inevitable. If you are a model the labels don't mean a sure thing. Look at the persons work, how they communicate their ideas and how working with them bring you closer to your goals as a model. The quality of images may increase with the more experienced but you can learn from anyone along the way.

Sep 28 08 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Vizual Synergi Imaging

Aspen Hill, Maryland, US

Call me GWC.... Guy Without Cash hehehe

Sep 28 08 02:14 am Link