Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > "As Seen on TV" pieces of crap!

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I just bought this Pasta Express thing today:

http://www.pastaexpress.tv/

Luckily, I only paid $9.95 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Anyhow, don't waste your money. I followed the instructions to the letter and it doesn't freaking work. My spaghetti is crunchy even though I left it in there for the recommended time. On top of that, the lid doesn't come off very easily and I nearly burnt the hell out of myself.

At the end of the manual, it says "Practice makes perfect." But the box says "Make perfect pasta every time." Shouldn't it say "Every time, except the first few times"?

Anyhow, the saying "A satisfied customer will tell someone. An unsatisfied customer will tell 100. Well, here I am. Don't buy this piece of crap!

Share your lemon.

P.S. I'm taking this thing back!

Mar 12 06 08:41 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

I think there are microwave cooking guides, maybe a longer time will fix it?

Mar 12 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

This doesn't use a microwave. You fill the tube with pasta. Then fill with boiling water. Then put the lid on and leave it on the counter for 8 min. I left it for 10 and it's still crunchy!

Mar 12 06 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Cooking for youself, are you ?

Throw it in the garage witgh the rest of the crap you bought over the last 30 years!

Mar 12 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
Cooking for youself, are you ?

Throw it in the garage witgh the rest of the crap you bought over the last 30 years!

I'm taking it back to the store. Right after I leave my testemonial on their website.

Mar 12 06 08:50 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:
I'm taking it back to the store.

If they only do exchanges... you can get yourself a foot massager, or thick fluffy soft towels, or a warm soft blanket smile or one those massaging shower heads wink

My SO bought me an egg poacher / boiler once... As Seen on TV! The boiler part broke after the first use sad The egg poacher part doesn't clean very well. So it's on a shelf in the kitchen, I avoid cooking eggs when he's here wink I just do it the "old fashion way" now... with water in a pan on top of the stove tongue

Mar 12 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I bought Jack LaLane's Power Juicer. Freaking thing worked nice from the beginning. Except that after 10 uses the blades went so dull (from carrots and apples) that it no longer does any reasonable job. Yup, i say the same. "As Seen On TV" - piece of junk.

Model

safiraangel

Killeen, Texas, US

I used to work for a company that takes the calls for alot of the infomercial products. After they sent us samples of those products I will never buy one of them again. My favorite was the magic bullet blender which stops working in like minutes.

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

safiraangel wrote:
I used to work for a company that takes the calls for alot of the infomercial products. After they sent us samples of those products I will never buy one of them again. My favorite was the magic bullet blender which stops working in like minutes.

Funny!!!! I was thinking about buying one of those. Thanks for the heads up! I think the only "As Seen on TV" product I am completely satisfied with is my Foreman Grill. That thing is a MUST HAVE!

Mar 12 06 09:01 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

safiraangel wrote:
My favorite was the magic bullet blender which stops working in like minutes.

My suitemate has two and loves them...

Mar 12 06 09:02 pm Link

Model

safiraangel

Killeen, Texas, US

John Jebbia wrote:
Funny!!!! I was thinking about buying one of those. Thanks for the heads up! I think the only "As Seen on TV" product I am completely satisfied with is my Foreman Grill. That thing is a MUST HAVE!

lol yeah those things are a BIG waste of time don't bother.

Ohhhhhh i forgot about the Foreman Grill. I love mine!

Mar 12 06 09:03 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

A couple of years ago, I bought one of those "natural bras" or something like that. They are the stick on things that look like silicone implants. Needless to say, they didn't stick well, and made me sweat. We bought the blasted thing in the actual "as seen on tv" store in a mall in Seattle. Now, when I walk into one of those places, all I think is "Wow, what a bunch of crap!"

I have to hide the credit cards from my husband, and keep him away from the tv late at night, because he is the one who is always tempted to buy from those infomercials. His problem is the exercise equipment. Right now, we have basically a complete home gym...a crossbow trainer, Ablounge sport, and a walkmill treadmill. All we seem to be missing is the gazelle trainer...which we sold last year when we bought our house...

Mar 12 06 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

BeccaNDSouth wrote:
I have to hide the credit cards from my husband, and keep him away from the tv late at night, because he is the one who is always tempted to buy from those infomercials. His problem is the exercise equipment. Right now, we have basically a complete home gym...a crossbow trainer, Ablounge sport, and a walkmill treadmill. All we seem to be missing is the gazelle trainer...which we sold last year when we bought our house...

Did you guys buy the Body Blade? That rediculous thing that looks like a waterski that you shake over your head.

Mar 12 06 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

The first thing I ever bought off tv was a "Popeil Pocket Fisherman" - still use it.

Also bought the Foreman grill - love it.

Mar 12 06 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

" as seen on t.v. ....paper weights "

Mar 12 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

I've never bought anything that I've seen on TV. I don't watch infomercials, and I have the shopping channels programmed out of my remote. It's not because I'm ever tempted to buy any of this stuff, I just find it all rather stupid. Now, the Foreman Grill is something that I would buy; I know they work, but I don't eat red meat so it's a bit pointless. And I bought a wok that was advertised by this English dude; he did this infommercial and he was very convincing. I had a friend that bought one, and he really liked it. So, I picked one up at a kitchen store here in Saint Paul. I only used it a couple times; not because it was crap but because my cooking is crap. The wok is actually quite nice.

But when I was a kid I bought a set of 100 plastic soldiers. I thought they would be the same ones that I could buy at the drugstore (the ones that were about 2 1/2 inches tall). I got the thing in the mail, and the soldiers, tanks and trucks were all tiny little flat pieces of plastic... I think they were like 1/2 inch tall. I was rather disaponted by that and I never trusted any of those advertisements again. I think I equate infomercials with that type of quality as well.

-P-

Mar 12 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
But when I was a kid I bought a set of 100 plastic soldiers.
  -P-

You mean Army Men? the little green guys in various combat positions? I had a ton of those things as a kid!

Mar 12 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

John Jebbia wrote:
I just bought this Pasta Express thing today:

http://www.pastaexpress.tv/

Luckily, I only paid $9.95 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Anyhow, don't waste your money. I followed the instructions to the letter and it doesn't freaking work. My spaghetti is crunchy even though I left it in there for the recommended time. On top of that, the lid doesn't come off very easily and I nearly burnt the hell out of myself.

At the end of the manual, it says "Practice makes perfect." But the box says "Make perfect pasta every time." Shouldn't it say "Every time, except the first few times"?

Anyhow, the saying "A satisfied customer will tell someone. An unsatisfied customer will tell 100. Well, here I am. Don't buy this piece of crap!

Share your lemon.

P.S. I'm taking this thing back!

It would have been easier to buy some Ramen!

Mar 12 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

The egg-stractor...damn thing is a piece...it blew the egg across the kitchen and made a mess...

Mar 12 06 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

The George Foreman grill rocks.

Everything else that was "seen on TV" was likely because no 99 cent store would even have it.

I rather invest my savings, buying a lakeside piece of property from that Eric Estrada guy.  What was that place? . . . "Stumpwater Acres" . . .  Oh Yea - that's the one!  Over near Dumpstink Oklahoma *Home of Americas largest Offal Processing plant!!*

Yep - that baby will do nuthing but go up in value once I finish paying the 187.000 dollars for that 1/4 acre in the bottom of a flood control ditch.

Man - I'm set - no buying junk for me!

VintageV

Mar 12 06 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

I have that set it and forget it machine and I love it,

Mar 12 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

McKenzie Bros Photo wrote:
The egg-stractor...damn thing is a piece...it blew the egg across the kitchen and made a mess...

lol

Mar 12 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

F-ing Nuts Benny wrote:

Is that that rotisery(sp?) thing?

Mar 12 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Is that that rotisery(sp?) thing?

yes it is

Mar 12 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

John Jebbia wrote:
This doesn't use a microwave. You fill the tube with pasta. Then fill with boiling water. Then put the lid on and leave it on the counter for 8 min. I left it for 10 and it's still crunchy!

I was wondering how that thing worked.  Sounds like a terrible idea.

Pasta needs space to move around for the excess starches to separate.  And the water off the heat will stop boiling quickly.  It might work for very thin pastas, like a thin spaghetti or an angel hair, but not the normal size.

Mar 12 06 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

F-ing Nuts Benny wrote:

It's a little awesome, but it's a bitch to clean.

My favorite thing in the world ever for a while was that it came with a big sticker on the front that said, "DO NOT TAKE 'SET IT AND FORGET IT' LITERALLY."

Mar 12 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I was wondering how that thing worked.  Sounds like a terrible idea.

Pasta needs space to move around for the excess starches to separate.  And the water off the heat will stop boiling quickly.  It might work for very thin pastas, like a thin spaghetti or an angel hair, but not the normal size.

I can attest to that. It doesn't work! The whole reason I bought it was I thought it would be easier than having to clean my big pasta pot/strainer-in-one thing. But crunchy spaghetti tastes like poo poo.

Mar 12 06 10:10 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

It's a little awesome, but it's a bitch to clean.

My favorite thing in the world ever for a while was that it came with a big sticker on the front that said, "DO NOT TAKE 'SET IT AND FORGET IT' LITERALLY."

yes it is a bitch to clean and lol that sticker made me laugh too

Mar 12 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

John Jebbia wrote:

You mean Army Men? the little green guys in various combat positions? I had a ton of those things as a kid!

Yep -- the same. And I thought the "Footlocker of 100 Army Men" would be the same. I was traumatized for life I tell ya! The "real" army men were great; and you could by little M-60 tanks and trucks for them as well.

-P-

Mar 12 06 10:14 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

this is also crappy
https://www.seen-on-tv.ws/better-pasta-pot/better-pasta-pot.jpg

the pot i got was painted red on the outside but for some reason it made my pasta red

Mar 12 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
Yep -- the same. And I thought the "Footlocker of 100 Army Men" would be the same. I was traumatized for life I tell ya! The "real" army men were great; and you could by little M-60 tanks and trucks for them as well.

-P-

I know they hurt like hell if you stepped on them barefoot in the middle of the night going to the bathroom. And god forbid my dad ever stepped on one. That was an asswhoppin for sure!

Mar 12 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Benny wrote:
this is also crappy

the pot i got was painted red on the outside but for some reason it made my pasta red

Mine is actually this great big pot with an inner pot that acts as a strainer. Just lift out of boiling water and viola! Your pasta is drained. What's more, it has another inner pot that acts as a vegetable steamer. But this thing is too damn big and a royal pain in the ass to wash.

Mar 12 06 10:18 pm Link

Model

Shura

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

Benny wrote:
this is also crappy

We had the red one as well. In fact, we got the set of 2 in the box plus a big turkey roaster about 2 years ago. Pots were thrown out after about 9 months, while being a dnag good idea, they were just extremely poorly made. Still got the roaster though.

Mar 13 06 12:23 am Link