Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Question for make-up artists.

Model

SWgeek678

Millersville, Maryland, US

What kind of glue (or, if not glue, what then) do you use to apply something like the gold in this picture? Thank you for your help and time.
Chrystal
http://wwwimage.upn.com/shows/top_model … hannon.jpg

Mar 12 06 10:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I always use foil that is used to do nail art...it comes in sheets and you wet it just a littlt to make it stick, or if not using that and another kind of gold foil just apply a small amount fabric glue to make it stick on the body... It has worked for me so far....

Mar 12 06 11:09 pm Link

Model

SWgeek678

thank you so much.

Mar 13 06 12:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

anything that is remotely sticky gel or gloss will hold it in place and yuo can buy leaf metal at the craft store.

Mar 13 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Gold foil is an inperfect science.   Using a true glue is not normally needed for a body.

Try ky-jelly,  just a touch to place it on or just plain elmers glue which is water soluble.

Many fabric glues are not.

Mar 13 06 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Jack D Trute wrote:
Gold foil is an inperfect science.   Using a true glue is not normally needed for a body.

Try ky-jelly,  just a touch to place it on or just plain elmers glue which is water soluble.

Many fabric glues are not.

Hmmmm....dog fur, KY jelly, and gold foil. Sounds truly kinky.

Mar 13 06 03:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I have an imagel simmilar in my portfoloi that I did . I attached the gold leaf with many things from a non toxic glue stick, ky gelly , hairspray and sticky lip gloss. so its kinda "try" and 'find" what works. .. Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Mar 13 06 12:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Alexis Fagan Beauty

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Fabric glue isn't made for skin and would probably irritate anyones face.... I would use spirit gum, it's made specifically for your applying different things to the skin. You can find it in any costume shop....

Mar 13 06 12:38 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Los Angeles, California, US

DUO Eyelash Glue should do the trick.

DON'T USE FABRIC GLUE!!!!!!!!

And a no to the Spirit Gum too. Models don't need to have an allergic reaction.

Mar 13 06 02:09 pm Link

Model

SWgeek678

Everyone,
  Thank you for all your replies. I great appreciate them.
Chrystal

Mar 13 06 06:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

Hey, one more...
If you are applying it for a quick photoshoot, all those things work fine, but if you need to have it on all day, for film, or on stage under lights for a few hours you will need something stronger, i.e., Pros-aid, then you need isopropyl myristate to remove it.

Telesys is another that works not quite as well as Prosaid but way stronger than gluestick, and is removed the same.

** adhesives don't stick well to models that have consumed alcohol the night before. Spirit gum and Prosaid are contact glues which means you need a little on both sides of what you are gluing, i.e., to the area of the skin and to the item you are applying.

Mar 13 06 08:22 pm Link