Photographer

Marta Photo

Dallas, Texas, US

I heve been photographing african american woman. They make their make up themselves. It seems good to me until I see the results. Some areas of the face get reddish, specially in the cheekbones. Any advices?

Thanks
Marta

Mar 13 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Yeah, I got advise for you:

Use a makeup artist that knows how to do it, don't rely on any model who thinks she can do a great makeup.

Being holla'd at by brothers in da'club doesn't mean that those makeup skills are fit for photowork.

Mar 13 06 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY

Miami, Florida, US

Hi Marta, if you are shooting jpegs, try to make a custom WB, but I recommend RAW. I used to shoot in front of a red wall, of course the shadows were reddish and it was a pain...no matter PS.
Sometimes is the MU the models use, you have to create your system, but one step at the time:). Hope this helps a little. Best. Tito

Mar 13 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Marta Photo

Dallas, Texas, US

Tito Trelles wrote:
Hi Marta, if you are shooting jpegs, try to make a custom WB, but I recommend RAW. I used to shoot in front of a red wall, of course the shadows were reddish and it was a pain...no matter PS.
Sometimes is the MU the models use, you have to create your system, but one step at the time:). Hope this helps a little. Best. Tito

When I shoot in RAW it seens worse. I use Auto WB. What is MU?

Mar 13 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

"MU" would be make up

Mar 13 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

UdoR wrote:

Use a makeup artist that knows how to do it, don't rely on any model who thinks she can do a great makeup.

Being holla'd at by brothers in da'club doesn't mean that those makeup skills are fit for photowork.

I had to give a sista that lecture once. kind of down south go to church makeup!
But that should be modeling 102 up front- do not f..k with your face!

sometimes it's because they had a bad experience from someone who can't deal with dark skin!  I had a haircut from  a Lutheran ONCE!

Might be the photog also ?

Mar 13 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY

Miami, Florida, US

Hi again, sorry, MU means make up:). I have the feeling you have to correct some details...the color space. I suggest you start calibrating your monitor, in my case, my monitor is correct, so I created a profile and saved it, its the one I use and its pretty close to the one printing places use, that means the final print I make at home is pretty close to the one a magazine will print.
Automatic white balance is an emergency mode, many times the camera software make the wrong corrections and the photos look crappy. That's why I suggest RAW, because its what the sensor saw, no modifications, and you can correct everything more precisely.
My way... the color space I use in Camera Raw is the same I use in Photoshop, so after I am done with the RAW file and launch Photoshop it wont be any difference between the colors.
I hope I didn't confuse you more:) Let me know. Best. T

Mar 13 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

UdoR wrote:

wisdom from Udor..makes sense 2 me.....

Mar 13 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Tito Trelles wrote:
Hi again, sorry, MU means make up:). I have the feeling you have to correct some details...the color space. I suggest you start calibrating your monitor, in my case, my monitor is correct, so I created a profile and saved it,

Hi Tito;

I shoot A LOT in the urban community/market and a lot of AA models and recording artists.

In my experience, if the makeup artist is skilled, you need to do much less post production or photoshop correction.

Marta described in her OP, that the models applying their own makeup, and that is the first warning signal to me.

Just because a model applies her own makeup all her short adult life, doesn't make her knowledgable how that same makeup will appear under strobes and different lighting.

That's exactly why I mentioned the "club" situation in my response.

Mar 13 06 11:55 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

images by elahi wrote:

wisdom from Udor..makes sense 2 me.....

Thanks!

Mar 13 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Marta Photo wrote:
I heve been photographing african american woman. They make their make up themselves. It seems good to me until I see the results. Some areas of the face get reddish, specially in the cheekbones. Any advices?

Thanks
Marta

This is why make-up artists are so important. Look around your area for make-up artists that have dark skinned models in their books, and see if you can collaborate with them. Or learn make-up. Either is much better than letting the model do her own make-up. Make-up for film is entirely different than make-up for wearing in public.

Mar 13 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Marta Photo

Dallas, Texas, US

Tito Trelles wrote:
Hi again, sorry, MU means make up:). I have the feeling you have to correct some details...the color space. I suggest you start calibrating your monitor, in my case, my monitor is correct, so I created a profile and saved it, its the one I use and its pretty close to the one printing places use, that means the final print I make at home is pretty close to the one a magazine will print.
Automatic white balance is an emergency mode, many times the camera software make the wrong corrections and the photos look crappy. That's why I suggest RAW, because its what the sensor saw, no modifications, and you can correct everything more precisely.
My way... the color space I use in Camera Raw is the same I use in Photoshop, so after I am done with the RAW file and launch Photoshop it wont be any difference between the colors.
I hope I didn't confuse you more:) Let me know. Best. T

Tito. tried all the WB and the best result was in AUTO. which one do you use.?  is Color space Adobe 1998 or something like that?

Mar 13 06 12:20 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

wow udo, wow.

Mar 13 06 12:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I would have to agree with who ever sudgested a make-up artist. I am one and I know how to make-up the skin so that it wont look red or flat or ashy  in the pictures. I think alot of models think " heck I can do my own make-up" but they dont have any training or knowlege of what kinda make-up to use, lots almost all of the drustore foundations will NOT work for photographey and alot of them dont want to spend the money on Make-up that will work.  If I were a photographer and I was shooting alot of Dark skinned models I would either bring in a Make-up Artist myself or require them too just so you bot will get amazing results in the end.
but thats just my 2 cents... Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Mar 13 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Nerlande wrote:

wow udo, wow.

It wasn't me... it was you talking... wink

Mar 13 06 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

My mentor has told me that when photographing African Americans, you must pay particular attention to your white balance for exactly that reason. I usually adjust on the back end in photoshop with either curves, or color balance.

It's not a matter of make-up

Mar 13 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

michaelrowe photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I shoot black skin all the time and never had that problem.  but,  no matter if you shooting black, white or other,  A Make-up Artist is the key if you are shooting beauty and fashion like me.  If not then a good retoucher.

Mar 13 06 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

00siris wrote:
My mentor has told me that when photographing African Americans, you must pay particular attention to your white balance for exactly that reason. I usually adjust on the back end in photoshop with either curves, or color balance.

It's not a matter of make-up

Your mentor seems not to have shot black models before digital... which could mean he has not been around before digital cameras.

I shot frequently black models (such as my two previous wifes) before digital cameras... and... he's simply wrong.

Bad makeup is the FIRST reason for bad images..., as we used to say... "photoshop is for those who can't shoot right the first time"... it's tongue in cheek, but some truth is to it.

Gotta start first with the beginning of the shoot... before to blame it to post production.

P.S.: BTW, Osiris,... I love your work... totally... but that statement is not against you, but your mentor. Basic photography...

Mar 13 06 11:08 pm Link