Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > MUA's...portfolio Q's

Makeup Artist

Kate Couture

Los Angeles, California, US

Okay, so all my work is online.  Now it's time to start sending out my book and I don't know what to get.

So, I'm told the industry standard is 9x12. Do I get a 9x12 or a 9.5x11.5 book?
And, if I go smaller (8.5x11 or 8x10) does that look any less professional?

Any suggestions on size and where to buy? And any other suggestions would be appreciated!

thanx,
Kate
www.couturefaces.com

Mar 13 06 06:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Katie
My book is a 8.5 x 11, I like this size personally as a MUA and I also noticed that most agencies are using this size again...I guess it just depends on what you want and how much you are willing to pay for a book. I also chose this size because many of my agency style photos were already this size and I didn't want to spend the extra $$$ to duplicate the photos. Good luck!

Mar 13 06 08:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

kittykate wrote:
Okay, so all my work is online.  Now it's time to start sending out my book and I don't know what to get.

So, I'm told the industry standard is 9x12. Do I get a 9x12 or a 9.5x11.5 book?
And, if I go smaller (8.5x11 or 8x10) does that look any less professional?

Any suggestions on size and where to buy? And any other suggestions would be appreciated!

thanx,
Kate
www.couturefaces.com

I have A 10 X 13 , I LIKE THE BLACK BOURDER  around my images. but thats just me . Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Mar 13 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

I have 9x12's in a leather portfolio that is slightly bigger, so I have a nice black border around my pictures, and I usually make a 5x7 disposable portfolio to leave with people, so they can look at my stuff after I've left. I'll also include a disc, so they can have images to send through email, if need be. Now that I have my website, though, I probably won't need it as much. It's a nice touch, though. I've been told its incredibly thoughtful and professional.

I bought my portfolio at an art store and get my pictures printed at this neat printing place where you rent a MAC computer for hours at a time and the screens are all calibrated, and you can edit, pick what kind of paper, ink, etc and print them perfectly. Its heavenly.

xo
Siân Melton
http://www.alwaysmadeup.com

Mar 13 06 10:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Naomi

New York, New York, US

I have 81/2 x 11 and having no problem. It looks better with my tears that are same size. When I get prints lately (instead of CD) , they have been this size. I'd say go with this or 9x12. I rarely see 11x14 unless it's a photographer.

Mar 14 06 09:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Naomi

New York, New York, US

btw you have some great work..your book will look lovely!

Mar 14 06 10:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

My book is 9x12 and I get my prints 8x12 at www.ezprints.com (they dont do 9x12 prints)

Yisell
www.yisellsantos.com

Mar 14 06 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Every artist/stylist book I've ever seen is 9x12, so that seems to be the standard, at least in the cities I work.  Maybe some clients and shooters think anything smaller is unprofessional, but I for one look a the quality of the work, not the size of the prints.  One photographer's opinion anyway...

Mar 14 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yisell wrote:
My book is 9x12 and I get my prints 8x12 at www.ezprints.com (they dont do 9x12 prints)

Yisell
www.yisellsantos.com

9x12 prints are available, just a pain in the ass and more expensive.  I've always wondered why 9x12 - my theory is that it's suppose to suggest a magazine page, but otherwise it's just seems to be some nether-size that only the fashion industry uses.  We just have to be different.

Mar 14 06 09:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

Mine are about 8x11as well

Mar 15 06 01:28 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Yisell wrote:

Yisell
www.yisellsantos.com

yikes Wow... they have great prices.  I think I'm going to use them.  However, my buddy told me for a 9x12 just put a 9x12 image on a 11x14 print and cut off the boarder.  To me this was too expensive and a waist of money.  With the prices from www.ezprints.com I can afford to do that.  Here in Dallas, I was finding printers at $7-$9 a print. tongue  Thanks for that printing tip!

Mar 15 06 01:41 am Link

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

I have a 9x12 book...total industry standard.

Most of the ppl I know get their prints from Adorama, www.adorama.com .
they are inexpensive, fast and excellent quality.

HTH!!

Mary

Mar 15 06 11:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kate Couture

Los Angeles, California, US

THANK YOU, THANK YOU smile

It is always nice to compare with other working artists out there.  Everything had been online until this point.  And, making the wrong decision for a portfolio...$$$$$!

So, I got a leather 9.5X12.5 with screw binding that allows more inserts if needed.  The page inserts are 9x12.  Photos are being printed 9x12.  Not cheap.
I will absolutely use the website that were listed (thanks again!).  I paid $7 a print, but...I needed them by Friday.

Take care all!

xo
Kate Couture
www.couturefaces.com

Mar 15 06 01:26 pm Link