Forums > Model Colloquy > What do models charge for a paid shoot?

Model

Christina Roelant

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Photographers have been asking me for quotes for photoshoots. I don't know what to charge per hour. Any suggestions?

Oct 01 08 03:37 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Charge them in Canadian dollars.  US money sucks.

Edit:  As can be seen here, this question has been asked many times and what you will find is that the resounding answer is "It depends".

My personal method involves figuring out how much I owe on my student loans and cell phone bill that month and going from there.

Oct 01 08 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

Los Angeles, California, US

MelissaLynnette LaDiva wrote:

Euro's is better.

Oct 01 08 03:42 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

K E S L E R wrote:

Euro's is better.

Excellent point.  Although I do miss lira.  Nothing makes you feel not broke better than a million lira in your hands.  lol

Oct 01 08 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

MCmodeling

Sonora, California, US

I would see what models are charging in your area. As it will vary depending on the area as well as the type of photo's.  I would start out between $50.00 and $100.00 an hour. If you get a lot of jobs that are willing to pay the amount you choose raise your prices a little. If you don't lower them a little.

Oct 01 08 03:47 pm Link

Model

Christina Roelant

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Thanks for the input smile

Oct 01 08 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

john zale

Rockville, Connecticut, US

Based on what I pay generally for models that interest me, I think you should be getting at least $1000 a day.  You definitely bring a lot to the shoot and the shoot will get a lot out of working with you.

Oct 01 08 05:41 pm Link

Model

Jordana Joyce

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Excellent point.  Although I do miss lira.  Nothing makes you feel not broke better than a million lira in your hands.  lol

Haha--so true wink

Oct 01 08 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Roxy Photos

Plano, Texas, US

start at $50/hr for portfolio use and they pay you a percentage or pay you more if they are going to make money off the images by selling them.

Oct 01 08 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

john zale wrote:
Based on what I pay generally for models that interest me, I think you should be getting at least $1000 a day.  You definitely bring a lot to the shoot and the shoot will get a lot out of working with you.

Just one thousand for her first time getting paid?  I would say $5,000 and sit back and watch the offers roll in!

Oct 01 08 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Christina Roelant wrote:
What do models charge for a paid shoot?

varies as per things like: what kind of shoot (fashion, swimsuit, lingerie, implied, artistic, other)? how long a shoot? is the model required to travel? what are the intended uses of the resulting images? etc.

~ fr

Oct 01 08 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Vector 38 wrote:

varies as per things like: what kind of shoot (fashion, swimsuit, lingerie, implied, artistic, other)? how long a shoot? is the model required to travel? what are the intended uses of the resulting images? etc.

~ fr

-Toys being used
-If a fluffer is involved

The list goes on tongue

Oct 01 08 05:49 pm Link

Model

Blahblah

Stewartsville, New Jersey, US

JLC Images wrote:
-Toys being used
-If a fluffer is involved

The list goes on tongue

that was the best thing i've read all day!

Oct 01 08 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

JLC Images

KaTeLyNn MaRiE wrote:

that was the best thing i've read all day!

And a NJ model smile

If you like that I have a great shoot lined up for us!

Oct 01 08 05:55 pm Link

Model

Killa Priscilla

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

You are gorgeous.  You could easily charge 75.-100 and hour..  Probably more $ depending on the type of work.

Oct 01 08 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Visions Photography

Corona, California, US

john zale wrote:

I pay models on occasion, but I could never pay someone $1000. So it depends on who's asking, and what you're willing to work for.

I once messaged a gal who's profile said she was looking do do TFP and she wrote me back with a day rate of $1600. Obviously if I'm wanting to discuss TFP I'm not one to pay $1600.

If it's a hobbyist photographer who is asking, I think $50/hr is fair and very common. If they want you for a catalog or magazine ad, you should get a lot more.

I know a gal who models for Hot Topic and they pay her $25 per hour, which is ridiculous. I've seen both the pictures and her check, I know she's not making it up. But she's not a professional model, just a cute girl who someone knew.

Oct 01 08 06:01 pm Link

Model

Bettie-Bondage

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Hot Topic sucks to model for.

Oct 01 08 06:03 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

K E S L E R wrote:
Euro's is better.

and much more stable wink

Oct 01 08 06:05 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Christina Roelant wrote:
Photographers have been asking me for quotes for photoshoots. I don't know what to charge per hour. Any suggestions?

Don’t charge by the hour. Clients and photographers really dislike models that constantly watch the clock.

Charge a flat rate for the shoot.
If the shoot is estimated for 3 hours be prepared to spend 4 hours. Work all the way through and when the shoot ends you will have a new group of people that will hire you again. In this silly business good news travels quickly but bad news is the kiss of death.

Oct 01 08 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

john zale

Rockville, Connecticut, US

JoJo Suicide wrote:
[ Clients and photographers really dislike models that constantly watch the clock.
If the shoot is estimated for 3 hours be prepared to spend 4 hours. Work all the way through and when the shoot ends you will have a new group of people that will hire you again. In this silly business good news travels quickly but bad news is the kiss of death.

Great, realistic advice, for those who want to get invited back!!!

Oct 01 08 06:12 pm Link

Model

Whitney Peyton

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

will work for chocolate!

Oct 01 08 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Roxy Photos

Plano, Texas, US

JoJo Suicide wrote:

Don’t charge by the hour. Clients and photographers really dislike models that constantly watch the clock.

yeah I agree, always give a flat rate based on how long you think the shoot will last.

for me, I do $125 for two hours then add $50 for each additional hour I think it will take.

if there is gas costs or makeup time or whatever involved...add a little extra to it.

it's all about negociating as well...

Oct 01 08 06:14 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Visions Photography CA wrote:
I know a gal who models for Hot Topic and they pay her $25 per hour, which is ridiculous. I've seen both the pictures and her check, I know she's not making it up. But she's not a professional model, just a cute girl who someone knew.

I didn't even know they paid that much. I thought it was $9/hour (the same they pay their clerks in LA). They're ridiculous.

Oct 01 08 06:20 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

JoJo Suicide wrote:

But I prefer it when my clients have to watch the clock a bit.  When I give a flat rate thinking the shoot will run 3 hours, it usually runs 6.

Oct 01 08 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

john zale wrote:

So do you pay your models that much 'cause I think I might look good in
a mini dress.  Seriously, I don't see hobbyist photographers on a site like MM
paying anywhere near that for non nude or heck even nude models.  Editorial rates
for many magazines are around $200 a day.

Oct 01 08 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Bottom line is, most of us yammering here have no idea what your market will pay you for what you're willing to do.  Pick one of the numbers thrown out here, or one you select yourself, and start quoting it to people who inquire about photographing you.  If you continue to have more work than you can keep up with, raise your prices until it's manageable.  If nobody bites, lower them.

Your market will let you know what your value is.

Oct 01 08 06:26 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

JoJo Suicide wrote:

theda wrote:
But I prefer it when my clients have to watch the clock a bit.  When I give a flat rate thinking the shoot will run 3 hours, it usually runs 6.

I’ve been there too wink

If you see the shoot taking on a life of its own (4½ hours into a 3 hour shoot) it never hurts to mention that you have another shoot in 3 hours.

Oct 01 08 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Moderator Warning!

john zale wrote:

Please stop trolling the forums it is against MM rules.

Oct 01 08 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

asieslavida

North Richland Hills, Texas, US

Edit:  As can be seen here, this question has been asked many times and what you will find is that the resounding answer is "It depends".

well there you have it. the ultimate answer - the thread police always nipping at the heels of us who dare post or repost questions that may be a gazillion years ago.

Photogs will ask for quotes in hopes of you liking their work to some degree and working out a negotiable rate. Some models charge a flat $150 per hour with two hour minimum or quote in 1/2 and day rates from $300 to $1200. None of these models quote rates to me like this for clothed work however. These quotes are for glamour and fine art nudes. But there are models who work on a TFCD basis up to much lower rates because they like the work the photog creates.

This means every model tends to have different rates for different photogs and for different genre of work

In my case, I have been fortunate enough to have wonderful models work with me on rates more affordable to my level of work. This can be TFCD to $300 per day where a day may not be more than 4 hours of work.

Oct 01 08 08:14 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Cazee wrote:

well there you have it. the ultimate answer - the thread police always nipping at the heels of us who dare post or repost questions that may be a gazillion years ago.

Are you fucking kidding me?  Probably not.  People are sensitive lately.  roll

Oct 01 08 08:45 pm Link

Model

Ermine

Chicago, Illinois, US

$40-50/hr for fashion, maybe $75 for lingerie,

Oct 01 08 08:50 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

For the rest of the year I'm charging $400 for a half day and $800 for a full day. I'm only charging hourly if people come to me and the rate is higher.

My rates will go back to varying in 2009. But that's what I'm doing the rest of the year. Some people think I'm cheap, some people think I'm reasonable, some people think I'm fucking nuts.

Whatever.

Oct 01 08 09:24 pm Link