Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Release forms??

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

Hi,
I've been doing hair for about 4 years now in a salon, and just recently started working with photographers and models, trying to get a portfolio toghrther. I know i'm going to need some kind of paper work that will allow me to use both the model's picture and the photographer's work in my portfolio or website. like some kind of release form. I have no idea where to start. do any of you stylists out there have an example i can look at? i need to know what to include on the form, and who needs to sign what and where.

~Emily

Mar 15 06 12:43 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

Yes I have a release for models and photographers.  And I am glad I do.  One of the girls on America's Next Top Model worked with me once and now I can use her photo without any problems on my cards.  However, I wouldn't.  I just prays she makes it big and then I can be part of her entourage.  It also, it let's the people that I am working with know that I am a professional and that I plan to use the photos in a professional manner.

Send me a message mid next week and I'll send you a copy of mine.  I'm out of town now and would have to go outside to the card and dig out my book.  I'm tired and lazy right now.

( Narvell sits back after a long day of photo shoots during her spring break. )

Mar 15 06 01:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I dont have release forms, I also don't work with the type of photographers that would give me a hard time about what I put in my portfolio.  Most photographers love to see their work in your book or on line, it's advertising for them...just make sure you give them the proper credits.  Don't use anything raw that they are showing you.

A photographer shouldn't release anything to you that he wouldnt be proud to see in your book.   I have never had a photographer ask me to remove a shot from my site, if he did ask I would and if he asks I assume he's ashamed of it and if he's ashamed of it I don't think its something I want to show people either.   As for tears....they are already published and in the public domain, that I just scan and put on my portfolio site....never had an issue at all, the photographers I work with are all pretty good business people, they arent the kind that would have a snit over something like that.

Mar 15 06 10:43 am Link

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

thanx narvel i will get in touch w/ u next week smile

Mar 16 06 05:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

make-up by omar

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It's not so much a "proud" or "shame" thing. It's all about legalities in making sure that your models sign a release.

Every photographer I shoot with has Model Releases that all the models sign. Some releases are from 1 to 3 pages for photographers and some are up to 15 pages for a film production company.

It's called "Cover Thy Ass". I have seen models and modelling agencies sue photographers for publishing their images because they have no paperwork to prove that this was the content that was "originally agreed to be shot".

When models sign the release, they are legally obligated to have their image published without further compensation. Mind you, every Model Release is different and has different language, etc.

Yes the photographer owns the negatives/digital files, It's the content that's in those images that needs to be released. And if it's not done, It becomes a major nightmare for the entire creative team because we can't use any of those great images that we all worked on. Then the resentment starts to build up between the team and the model and their agency. Not fun when you're trying cultivate a creative working relationship within a very small industry where news travels at lightning speed.

And as a Make-up Artist, I do sign the releases as a witness.

It's a total legal thing.

Mar 17 06 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

michaelrowe photography

Los Angeles, California, US

You dont need a release if you intend on useing the images for self promotion - ie: your book, website, comp cards or business cards.

Mar 17 06 08:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

make-up by omar

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

michaelrowephotography wrote:
You dont need a release if you intend on useing the images for self promotion - ie: your book, website, comp cards or business cards.

So the cover of Vogue, Fashion, FHM etc. is self promotion as well. Just like using a tear for the back of your comp. The models don't need to sign a release???

Self promotion is a credit for everyone involved in the shooting process.

Every job I've worked on, photographers, Art Directors let the models sign a release. The models understand this because it's an industry standard practice.

Mar 17 06 08:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Jessica

Dallas, Texas, US

Okay, I just did a TFP with a model and a photographer. She wanted to view the photos first, and "approve them". Now she refuses to sign a release because she doesn't like the way she was protrayed in the photos. She's the one who put on the fishnets and lingerie. She is claiming she has a reputation to uphold, and in some of the photos she thinks she looks fat and trampy (she weighed like 95lbs). I'm really pissed, because that was my time and energy on a Sunday afternoon away from my family to do a free shoot. The photog and I don't know what to do. Now she is not returning phone calls. That's just rude. If legally we don't need a release form then I'm posting her on my MM page, and the spoiled brat can kiss my ass.  Someone please let me in on the legallities of release forms.

Mar 17 06 09:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Pazza_x_Trucco

El Centro, California, US

Makeup by Jessica wrote:

Okay, I just did a TFP with a model and a photographer. She wanted to view the photos first, and "approve them". Now she refuses to sign a release because she doesn't like the way she was protrayed in the photos. She's the one who put on the fishnets and lingerie. She is claiming she has a reputation to uphold, and in some of the photos she thinks she looks fat and trampy (she weighed like 95lbs). I'm really pissed, because that was my time and energy on a Sunday afternoon away from my family to do a free shoot. The photog and I don't know what to do. Now she is not returning phone calls. That's just rude. If legally we don't need a release form then I'm posting her on my MM page, and the spoiled brat can kiss my ass.  Someone please let me in on the legallities of release forms.

If she won't sign I would have her then pay me my rate for that shoot.

Mar 17 06 09:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Jessica

Dallas, Texas, US

Pazza_x_Trucco wrote:

I already thought of that. She's not returning e-mails or phone calls. I know where she lives, anybody wanna help me gang up on her?

Mar 17 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Scott_La

Cheboygan, Michigan, US

Always, and I mean "Always" get a release from the Model and Photog BEFORE the shoot. Do an internet search and fined out the best release form that best meets your needs. ALWAYS!

Mar 17 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Polite

New York, New York, US

make-up by omar wrote:

So the cover of Vogue, Fashion, FHM etc. is self promotion as well. Just like using a tear for the back of your comp. The models don't need to sign a release???

Self promotion is a credit for everyone involved in the shooting process.

Every job I've worked on, photographers, Art Directors let the models sign a release. The models understand this because it's an industry standard practice.

Using photos in most areas of straight self promotion is generally ok.  It gets grey in some areas, though.  Photos on your business card, website, demo reels, etc (ie, self contained stuff)...shouldn't be a problem.  Using photos in, say, a local or national ad for your services and such gets grey.  And selling photos for, say in the example above, a magazine cover...well...I think that's a moral breech and moves beyond self promotion.

I think that everyone has the right to stake their claim and revel in the finished product of a project.  Unless they sign that right away.  It gets grey here too.  Say you do makeup for Titanic II...is it assumed that posting a video clip from the movie on your site is legit?  The director might have said it's ok...or the lead MUA...or your manager.  But one might get a cease and desist from the studio.  The product's owner.

I had to deal with something related to this the other day.  I'm coordinating a photoshoot for my employer.  A friend offered some clothes from her line for wardrobe to use in exchange for photos.  I told her that we'd love to use her stuff...but blahblahblah my company will own all of the photos in the end.  You'll get copies, but fair use basically lies in straight self promotion(websites, business cards, post cards, etc)...ie, the images couldn't be sold by her or used in a local/national print or online ad or used on a 3rd party distributors site and etc.  If the rights were mine to give, she could do whatever she wanted with the output...run them up a flagpole...make a billboard out of them...whatever.  But they weren't mine to give, know what I mean?  She opted out and I understood.

Long story short, every job has different nuances.  If it's a questionable point, then get it in writing before you work.  The more value something has and the more hands it goes through, the more problems you may run into.

Mar 17 06 09:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

correct.  If it's your portfolio of work and you are using it ONLY to promote youreself  you dont need a release.  Heaven forbid I would have to drag around releases with me to every job! 

I just dont work with the kinds of people that have these kinds of issues.... The models and photographers I work with get paid well and they just arent the kinds of people looking to sue an artist for usage....I'm sure these types exsist but I assume they are the amatuer types that sit around pondering extra ways to make money or waves because they are broke and not working.   Thats just an assumeption because I've been in the business over 20 years, I work at least 5 days a week on paid jobs and havent run across this issue yet.

Mar 17 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Polite

New York, New York, US

Pazza_x_Trucco wrote:

You didn't get copies of the photos or you didn't get sign-off from the model to use the photos?  If she signed a release that says she didn't get the right to approve anything, then I think you've basically got the right to use them for self promotion. 

I think morally I'd probably keep them out of public media outlets...MM and the like. 

But beyond that, they can always go in your book.  You can always email them to a prospective client.  You can always hide them behind a password or something.....keep them out of the public domain.  Know what I mean?

Mar 17 06 09:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Pazza_x_Trucco

El Centro, California, US

Makeup by Jessica wrote:

I already thought of that. She's not returning e-mails or phone calls. I know where she lives, anybody wanna help me gang up on her?

I'd use them...if she wanted to start anything legal it's 2 vs 1 and since it was agreed (all parties being able to use the photos in their port.)at the begining, even though it wasn't in writting...either the judge says...the MUA/Photog. have the right to use them & it's over OR....have each person be paid for their time or each one learn from this and get things signed before starting.

Mar 17 06 09:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Jessica

Dallas, Texas, US

Scott_La wrote:
Always, and I mean "Always" get a release from the Model and Photog BEFORE the shoot. Do an internet search and fined out the best release form that best meets your needs. ALWAYS!

Yeah, I learned a very valuable lesson. Just because the shoot was fun, and the model seemed really cool, I still need to cover my ass. Never leave without that piece of paper. 

Scott, thanks for the compliment.

Mar 17 06 09:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

You can always put the shots up and take them down if an attorney contacts you to take them down....I assume nobody is going to sue you without making a request to remove the shots first.....

Mar 17 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Polite

New York, New York, US

Yeah, you'll get a cease + desist before they throw the book at you.  If you sold the photos or something, however, then I think the law would come down harder on you. 

I had a friend in HS who covered a Neil Diamond song...put it on a CD...sold, I dunno, 10,000 copies.  5 years later, Neil's people called and asked for royalties from future sales.  $.10/per CD sold or something.  They made their hundred bucks, I'm assuming.  Before lawyers fees.

Wow, Eric....neither here nor there.  Sorry smile

Mar 17 06 09:44 pm Link

Model

Jorma

Houston, Texas, US

As a male nude model I like the following information so it's all clear up front for the photographer and myself:

Models name, address, and Date of Birth with added verification like State Drivers license etc.

I like this language:

1.  My images may be reproduced for art and portfolio presentation, including photographic and/or electronic formats, in galleries, museums, internet sites, fine art books/magazines and all other non-comercial and commercial uses unless specified herein.
2.  My images may be used in the advertising and/or publicity for the work of the Photographer.
3. I _ will _ will not, allow nude, physique-oriented "Body Images" image that may include full-length exposure of my back and sides, but may or may not include frontal exposure, as specified in Paragraphs 5 and 6.
4.  I _ will _ will not allow "Frontal Nudes" in which my genitals appear in the final image.
5.  I _ will _ will not allow "Altered Frontal Nudes" in which my genitals are permanently shadowed or hidden from view in a post-development process, and do not appear in the final image.
6.  I understand that I may exercise control over image content at the time of the Session, but they become the property of the Photographer once created, and may be used by him, as detailed and agreed, herein.
7. Images provided to me from the Photographer may be used by me in the course of my self-promotion; these images may not be used for commercial purposes in which I receive payment.
8.  My consent may be extended to commercial uses of my image, with the attachment of a Commercial Use Addendum, which shall make no other changes to the terms of this Release, except as specifically noted.  (This is a release section on sale of photos by photographer or the model commision at the end like 10%).  A model can be your best sales person so cut them in on the referrals.
9.  My images may be used to create drawings, paintings, murals, airbrush paintings for art and portfolio presentation, including photographic and/or electronic formats, in galleries, museums, internet sites, fine art books/magazines and all other non-comercial and commercial uses unless specified herein.
10. Other terms:
a.  I want not only high res but some web ready shots.  So I ask for 25 high res and 25 web ready, which allows you some duplication for the photographer if a set if not great.
b.  Any disbutes will be decided in the State of _____(one which photographer resides).

No contact is any good without a date of signature by the model and photographer in most states.  Also the model and photographer both have to get a copy.

Comments?

Jorma

Mar 17 06 09:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

make-up by omar

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Scott_La wrote:

Yes, I agree. I've learned this the hard way... a couple of times. And when they don't sign BEFORE the shoot, I pack up and go home.

It only takes a couple of times of being ripped off or scammed and then people saying to you "Well you shoulda, woulda, coulda done this and that and so forth..." before you take very strong stand.

Mar 17 06 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

michaelrowe photography

You absolutley dont need a release unless you are selling the images.   I work in a TOP celebrity photo agency, i deal with some of the biggest celebrity photographers, publicist and agents, TRUST ME.  I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.  NO RELEASE NEEDED TO USE YOUR OWN WORK FOR SELF PROMOTION - IE: PORTFOLIOS, WEBSITE ETC.

Mar 17 06 10:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Jessica

Dallas, Texas, US

You absolutley dont need a release unless you are selling the images.   I work in a TOP celebrity photo agency, i deal with some of the biggest celebrity photographers, publicist and agents, TRUST ME.  I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.  NO RELEASE NEEDED TO USE YOUR OWN WORK FOR SELF PROMOTION - IE: PORTFOLIOS, WEBSITE ETC.

Thank you, great information. I'll have her images up in no time.

Mar 18 06 12:14 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Narvell

Dallas, Texas, US

This is true but some of the nuts we deal with will never be a top celebrity but act like they are.  These are the nuts you better have a release on.  It never fails that this particular person you work with doesn't want you to use the photos for some reason and it may be your best photo to date.  That person wants to take all the credit or they are just plan stupid and come up with some BS.

Just CYA... have a release.

Mar 21 06 04:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

The models I test with are with agencies.  They aren't even supposed to sign their own releases.  In over 8 years, I've never used a release and I don't plan on it anytime soon.

Mar 21 06 05:17 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

According to strict legal minutia, anyone who is not the copyright holder should obtain a copyright waiver to reproduce the images in any form and possibly to dsiplay them in an  online profile or portfolio.  In reality, only a complete douchebag of a photographer would actually object to someone using their work in a portfolio context.

Mar 21 06 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Are you kidding?  What color is the sky in your world?  Here, on Earth, we have copyright laws that prohibit use without permission.  The sole exception that I'm aware of would be educational use...I think it'd be a "stretch" to consider the uses you mentioned, "educational use".

Anybody who plans to use an image which they do not hold the copyright to, should have written permission to use it from the copyright holder...which in most instances, is the photographer. 

A perfect example is currently rumored to be in the courts.  Jennifer Anniston, according to the rumor,  is currently being sued.  Allegedly, he paid a photographer to photograph her and make her one print.  She, allegedly,  duplicated that image hundreds of times and used it for "self-promotion" and submitted it with a resume and it was eventually used for part of the selection process which landed her a job on Friends.  The photographer now feels that he was not adaquately compensated for hundreds of duplications of his image (just one), and that she benefitted immensely from unauthorized use his image.  He's now sueing her for part of the benefits she gained....which is in the millions of dollars.

Bottom line, is if you aren't an attorney, cover your butt....get written permission.

Mike

Mar 21 06 05:36 pm Link

Model

Allura

Houston, Texas, US

michaelrowe photography wrote:

How are you supposed to tell other photographers this without them thinking negatively and maybe not working as hard on your shoot?

Mar 21 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Sukach

Ipswich, Massachusetts, US

The Model Release is a contract, where the photographer and model agree to what is / has been, done.  It assures both parties to fair and reasonable benefit -- usually monetary -- for their work.  It is not a "license to kill" - as in all contracts, good faith can easily override the words themselves.

There was a case where a model posed for what she thought would be "mattress/ bedding" ads ... she was in a flimsy negligee', on a bed (to be expected).  She was compensated for her work as agreed, and signed an (unlimited) model release. Some time later, she visited her local Video Store, aand to her shock found an image from that session, not in a mattress ad, but on the cover of an XXX-rated Video.
She sued the photographer - BIG TIME, and won. The court agreed with her suit, "good faith" had been breached. Even though she had signed the release, the work had not been used as she had understood it would be.

Another case would be where a model works for a small-time photographer, with the usual small-time compensation, and the image is sold and used in a BIG-time advertising campaign.  One would do well to give the model extra money, so that she is compensated REASONABLY for her work.  I've done that - and I'll confess that I am happy to.  It is a kick to have someone else share in the success.

One other thing to consider: I had worked with a model - quite a few times - doing figure studies .. nudes, completely with her consent. I had compensated her (I always pay my models - it serves to establish a professional relationship) and had her sign the necessary releases.
Some time later, she maried a guy who was a **brittle** relgious fundamentalist.  She contacted me, DEMANDING that I turn over ALL the work - contact sheets, exhibition prints, negatives - everything, because her new husband did not want anything like that "out there". These demands became greater and greater - I finally consulted my lawyer, who reviewed everything, and advised me that everything I had was mine, and I was well within my rights to keep it all - and exhibit those images, as specifically stated in the releases.  I stood my ground and did not turn anothing over to her.  She/ they must have consulted their own attorney, for the demands ceased abruptly.  Clearly, I was operating within the bounds of "good faith" and the model release was prima facie evidence of her consent to the modeling sessions.
Still, I haven't used any of those images since the demands. I know that to do so will - or may - cause her grief - and I refuse to cause grief to ANYONE, knowingly.  I have better things to do with my time.

One has to be careful with model releases, especially the "boiler plate" releases found in books and on the web.  There is usually language in those that will invalidate them - most usually for being too "broad". Words like, "I consent to any and all uses of these images, no matter how degrading, humiliating, whether or not they violate a law, no matter how adversely they affect me or my reputation", will cause the realese to go down in flames, in any court, again for violating the principles of good faith.

Mar 21 06 06:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Ed Sukach wrote:
The Model Release is a contract, where the photographer and model agree to what is / has been, done.  It assures both parties to fair and reasonable benefit -- usually monetary -- for their work.  It is not a "license to kill" - as in all contracts, good faith can easily override the words themselves.

There was a case where a model posed for what she thought would be "mattress/ bedding" ads ... she was in a flimsy negligee', on a bed (to be expected).  She was compensated for her work as agreed, and signed an (unlimited) model release. Some time later, she visited her local Video Store, aand to her shock found an image from that session, not in a mattress ad, but on the cover of an XXX-rated Video.
She sued the photographer - BIG TIME, and won. The court agreed with her suit, "good faith" had been breached. Even though she had signed the release, the work had not been used as she had understood it would be.

Another case would be where a model works for a small-time photographer, with the usual small-time compensation, and the image is sold and used in a BIG-time advertising campaign.  One would do well to give the model extra money, so that she is compensated REASONABLY for her work.  I've done that - and I'll confess that I am happy to.  It is a kick to have someone else share in the success.

One other thing to consider: I had worked with a model - quite a few times - doing figure studies .. nudes, completely with her consent. I had compensated her (I always pay my models - it serves to establish a professional relationship) and had her sign the necessary releases.
Some time later, she maried a guy who was a **brittle** relgious fundamentalist.  She contacted me, DEMANDING that I turn over ALL the work - contact sheets, exhibition prints, negatives - everything, because her new husband did not want anything like that "out there". These demands became greater and greater - I finally consulted my lawyer, who reviewed everything, and advised me that everything I had was mine, and I was well within my rights to keep it all - and exhibit those images, as specifically stated in the releases.  I stood my ground and did not turn anothing over to her.  She/ they must have consulted their own attorney, for the demands ceased abruptly.  Clearly, I was operating within the bounds of "good faith" and the model release was prima facie evidence of her consent to the modeling sessions.
Still, I haven't used any of those images since the demands. I know that to do so will - or may - cause her grief - and I refuse to cause grief to ANYONE, knowingly.  I have better things to do with my time.

One has to be careful with model releases, especially the "boiler plate" releases found in books and on the web.  There is usually language in those that will invalidate them - most usually for being too "broad". Words like, "I consent to any and all uses of these images, no matter how degrading, humiliating, whether or not they violate a law, no matter how adversely they affect me or my reputation", will cause the realese to go down in flames, in any court, again for violating the principles of good faith.

very good post!!!!!  I agree with your position on this stuff.... having the legal "right" to do something doesnt always make it right.

Mar 21 06 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've been reading this thread with great interest.  Some of the advice given has been conflicting and, oddly, in some of those cases both sides are right - with limitations.  Maybe I need to outline the issues more clearly.

A.  What's at Stake Legally

There are two very different rights at issue. 

1.  Copyright (the right to make copies).  Unless something very unusual has happened, it is owned by the photographer, and he has the legal right to control whether or not anyone gets to make copies of his images.  If you already have a copy (say, he gave you one) you are free to show it to anyone you want - but you cannot legally make more copies without written permission from the copyright holder.  Use on the Internet is "making copies".  If he has registered the image with the Copyright Office (he may well; I register all mine) a violation allows him to sue for hefty statutory damages and attorney's fees.  If he hasn't registered, he can sue for actual damages only, which are hardly worth the effort.  Copyright is governed by federal law, and is the same in all states.

Please also note that when a picture is published in a magazine it is not "in the public domain".  It is still protected by copyright, and the use in the ad or editorial is agreed to by the model, but that agreement does not apply to other uses.  Consequently, again as a matter of law, copying tearsheets on comp cards or on the web is a violation of both copyright and the models privacy/publicity rights if permission for that use has not been given.  Also, in such cases, the copyright holder may be the magazine or advertiser; in that event permission of the photographer is not sufficient.

2.  The model's rights of privacy and publicity.  (And, in California, a statutory right which prohibits misappropriation of likeness as a separate tort.)  These rights are governed by state law, and they vary widely by state.  What happens in New York is different from what happens in Texas, and very different from what happens in North Dakota.  No advice given to someone in, say, Texas based on what happens in another state is reliable.

In New York the legislature has explicitly written into the relevant statutes (NY Civil Rights Act Sections 50 and 51) an exemption for use by a photographer in his studio to advertise his services.  So far nobody to my knowledge has challenged the applicability of that exemption to use on the Internet to advertise his services; arguably it is not permitted.

In most states, "editorial use" of non-private pictures (generally, pictures taken where the subject has no reasonable expectation of privacy) is allowed without a release.  "Commercial use" (use for purposes of advertising) is generally NOT permitted without the consent of the subject.  In some states consent has to be written (New York is one such); in others oral consent is accepted.  Note:  use for "self promotion" on a website is "commercial use" and as a matter of law is not allowed without the consent of the subject in most states, no matter what some people would like to believe.

Since Texas is at issue in this thread, here is a summary of Texas law on a person's Right of Publicity.  There is no statute that applies to living persons, but Texas has recognized a common law right of publicity (labeled "privacy") for living persons. Kimbrough v. Coca-Cola/USA, 521 S.W.2d 719 (Tex. Civ. App. 1975); Henley v. Dillard Dep't Stores, 46 F. Supp.2d 587 (N.D. Tex. 1999). To prove a cause of action, a plaintiff must show (1) that his or her personal identity has been appropriated (2) by the defendant (3) for some advantage, usually of a commercial nature, to the defendant. Nat'l Bank of Commerce v. Shaklee Corp., 503 F. Supp. 533 (W.D. Tex. 1980). 

Again, note that "for some advantage" includes self promotion.

There is also a right of privacy in Texas that applies as a separate tort:  Texas has made the misappropriation privacy tort actionable. Billings v. Atkinson, 489 S.W.2d 858 (Tex. 1973); Patton v. United Parcel Serv. Inc., 910 F. Supp. 1250 (S.D. Tex. 1995). Texas does not recognize the tort of "false light" invasion of privacy. Cain v. Hearst Corp., 878 S.W.2d 577 (Tex. 1994).

Note in all these cases that "copies" is not the issue.  The photographer, as copyright holder of an image, is free to make as many copies as he wants under the law.  He just can't show them to anybody ("for some advantage").  A stylist can't even make copies (without the photographer's permission), and also can't show the pictures to anyone "for some advantage" without permission.

All of the above says that, as a matter of law a makeup artist cannot put pictures of a person on her website, use them in comp cards or make any other use without the written permission of the photographer and the permission (written or oral, depending on the state) of the model in most cases.  She can use the pictures in her book, if the photographer gave her the picture and she has permission of the model.

B.  Modifications for "Industry Standard Practice"

The foregoing was the strictly legal situation.  It applies any time there is any question of the continued actual or tacit consent of the photographer and model to use of their images.  But among professionals, particularly agency professionals, that legal requirement is generally ignored, and without any problems.  As a matter of industry standard practice it is understood that tests are for the use of the model, photographer and other team members for self promotion, and nobody ever objects to such use.  To do so would likely mean the person objecting would be blackballed by the rest of the industry - and their objection might be rejected in the courts because of a tacit consent theory.  Or it might not.

The Jennifer Anniston case above, if true, would be just such a case.  A headshot photographer certainly expects that his work will be reproduced in headshots, and even though he generally doesn't give the subjects a waiver of copyright, as a practical matter, not as a matter of law, he loses any right to object when the pictures are used for the purpose that was intended.  (If the same shot was suddenly used on a Wheaties box, however, all bets are off, and the photographer is in for a big payday.)  In this case (again if true - I haven't seen any other coverage of the issue) it sounds like a photographer has decided that he can make enough on this one lawsuit to overcome any blackballing in the industry - and he may well be right.  Or the judge may rule against him.

So while I agree with the commentary of Mary and Ashley above, it is based on the fact that they are operating in professional environments, governed by "Industry standard practice".  When you work with other people that protection breaks down, and may not exist at all.  Some random "model" who isn't with an agency and never will be is probably not aware of those "standards", doesn't feel (and isn't) bound by them, and can exert her formal legal rights if she chooses.  Same for amateur and peripheral "pro" photographers.  It's very unusual for a photographer to ask for compensation for a model or team member to use shots on comp cards, for instance, but I have known it to happen.

Short form advice:  get a release from the model and a copyright waiver or license from the photographer.  If you don't, you are at potential peril in the future when the model changes boyfriends or the photographer gets real strapped for cash and decides he needs money more than he needs a good reputation.

That said, I expect real professionals working among themselves to continue to operate without releases, and without problems.

Mar 21 06 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jorma wrote:
As a male nude model I like the following information so it's all clear up front for the photographer and myself:

Models name, address, and Date of Birth with added verification like State Drivers license etc.

I like this language:

1.  My images may be reproduced for art and portfolio presentation, including photographic and/or electronic formats, in galleries, museums, internet sites, fine art books/magazines and all other non-comercial and commercial uses unless specified herein.
2.  My images may be used in the advertising and/or publicity for the work of the Photographer.
3. I _ will _ will not, allow nude, physique-oriented "Body Images" image that may include full-length exposure of my back and sides, but may or may not include frontal exposure, as specified in Paragraphs 5 and 6.
4.  I _ will _ will not allow "Frontal Nudes" in which my genitals appear in the final image.
5.  I _ will _ will not allow "Altered Frontal Nudes" in which my genitals are permanently shadowed or hidden from view in a post-development process, and do not appear in the final image.
6.  I understand that I may exercise control over image content at the time of the Session, but they become the property of the Photographer once created, and may be used by him, as detailed and agreed, herein.
7. Images provided to me from the Photographer may be used by me in the course of my self-promotion; these images may not be used for commercial purposes in which I receive payment.
8.  My consent may be extended to commercial uses of my image, with the attachment of a Commercial Use Addendum, which shall make no other changes to the terms of this Release, except as specifically noted.  (This is a release section on sale of photos by photographer or the model commision at the end like 10%). A model can be your best sales person so cut them in on the referrals.
9.  My images may be used to create drawings, paintings, murals, airbrush paintings for art and portfolio presentation, including photographic and/or electronic formats, in galleries, museums, internet sites, fine art books/magazines and all other non-comercial and commercial uses unless specified herein.
10. Other terms:
a.  I want not only high res but some web ready shots.  So I ask for 25 high res and 25 web ready, which allows you some duplication for the photographer if a set if not great.
b.  Any disbutes will be decided in the State of _____(one which photographer resides).

No contact is any good without a date of signature by the model and photographer in most states.  Also the model and photographer both have to get a copy.

Comments?

Jorma

Several comments on the things in bold.  Let's go through them one by one:

1.  art and portfolio presentation:  The term "portfolio" is ambiguous.  Arguably it allows for a collection of pictures on an Internet pay porn site.  From Webster:

Main Entry: port·fo·lio
Pronunciation: pOrt-'fO-lE-"O, port-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -li·os
Etymology: Italian portafoglio, from portare to carry (from Latin) + foglio leaf, sheet, from Latin folium -- more at BLADE
1 : a hinged cover or flexible case for carrying loose papers, pictures, or pamphlets
2 [from the use of such a case to carry documents of state] : the office and functions of a minister of state or member of a cabinet
3 : the securities held by an investor : the commercial paper held by a financial house (as a bank)
4 : a set of pictures (as drawings or photographs) either bound in book form or loose in a folder

Under defintion 4, and your allowing use on the 'net, this can be construed more broadly than you intend.  Bear in mind, in case of ambiguity the general rule is that the issue is resolved against the person who wrote the language.  That means you lose.

2.  and all other non-comercial and commercial uses unless specified herein.  You've just given permission for the pictures to be used on milk cartons, on porn sites or to advertise gay cruises.  That's what "all other . . . commercial uses" means.

3.  I may exercise control over image content at the time of the Session, You can understand anything you like, but it's not clear what legal significance it has.  Sign the agreement at the conclusion of the session and leave this out.

4.  My consent may be extended to commercial uses of my image  Too late, it already has been.  See item 2.

5.  (This is a release section on sale of photos by photographer or the model commision at the end like 10%). A model can be your best sales person so cut them in on the referrals.  This stuff has no business being in an agreement; I assume you are including it as a commentary to the reader of this post, not in something you'd have a photographer sign.

6.  and commercial uses  Here we go again . . .

7.  I want not only high res but some web ready shots.  So I ask for 25 high res and 25 web ready, which allows you some duplication for the photographer if a set if not great.  You want.  You "ask for".  You get it or you don't.  Since the wording is not phrased as a mandatory deliverable, it has little or no legal force.  And the second part of the sentence shouldn't be in an agreement.

8.  in the State of _____  Generally it's advisable to put in the state whose laws apply as well.  If the case is tried in North Dakota but under the laws of New York, you are in a much stronger position.

9.  No contact is any good without a date of signature by the model and photographer in most states.  Also the model and photographer both have to get a copy.  This isn't a contract, it's a release.  There is nothing in it that a photographer is bound to do, and typically photographers don't sign releases.  Even if he did, I don't see how it changes the force of the document.  There is no law in most states (any that I am aware of) requiring both the model and the photographer to get copies, and saying so doesn't make it so.  Finally, although it's very advisable to get a date on the document, it isn't absolutely required - and you shouldn't say it's required in the document.

Mar 21 06 08:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

I have yet to respond to any of this "copywrite" or "stealing pictures" nonsence before, because I have fell victim to it. I have had my work stolen- and I don't care (Try to reproduce it). I have published something (in honor of my work as an MUA) and have had the photographer come after me for rights and residuals- and I don't care. In truth- none of this means anything. Do a good job, always stand by your latest work, and our judicial system dosen't want to be tied up by the idiocy of the fashion industry.
The photographer owns the rights to all of the pictures if s/he has a release from the subject (though said subject may be under contract from agency- which them endows them with commercial rights). All images can be used by all parties as personal promotion. Period.
Just make sure to have CDs or prints of the finals because even if you own the negatives- some professional printers will not produce work without the consent of a photographer, unless you sign a liability claim form.

Mar 22 06 04:49 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jessica Steele wrote:
The photographer owns the rights to all of the pictures if s/he has a release from the subject (though said subject may be under contract from agency- which them endows them with commercial rights). All images can be used by all parties as personal promotion. Period.

Neither of these statements is true as a matter of law.

Agencies have no "commercial rights" to images of their models, other than the non-exclusive right to use the images of their models in promoting the model and the agency.  That in no way influences the rights of anyone else.

And for a discussion of your claim that "All images can be used by all parties as a matter of personal promotion. Period," that is false as a matter of law.  I just wrote a long post on that, above.

Mar 22 06 07:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

Margoux Le Roux

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Wow, so much information...that I NEEDED to know.

Well I'm slow....TXPhotog..I love your knowledge and thanks, but can you tell me this in slow people terms...

As a make-up artist, say I did a TFCD shoot...You're saying I can't make hard copies to submit anywhere without getting them from the photog?...Unless he gives me written permission to do so?  I need a waiver from him?

If a photog submits a photo and makes money off of a print, do I get a cut?

I never used any forms before, so I don't know what the hell.

Also, does anyone have any examples of release forms..please let me know..THANKS A BUNCH!

Mar 22 06 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Le Roux wrote:
As a make-up artist, say I did a TFCD shoot...You're saying I can't make hard copies to submit anywhere without getting them from the photog?...Unless he gives me written permission to do so?  I need a waiver from him?

Legally, that's correct.  However, the more professional photographers won't worry about it.  Print shops might (those who don't customarily deal with things like comp cards especially), so it's always a good idea to get that written permission.  Photographers are seldom asked (I've only been asked three times in 30 years) but they should never object if they don't have to do any work.  Just have the form for them to sign at the shoot - and make sure the photographer gets a release for the model, and that your license form includes that you are using his authority under that release.

If a photog submits a photo and makes money off of a print, do I get a cut?

Probably not, although an interesting case could be made that you should, especially for extensive painting or artwork.  I've never seen a case that pushed the issue, but arguably you are a joint copyright holder with the photographer.  Still, that would be  a very unpopular position to take, and shouldn't be taken except under extreme provocation.

Mar 22 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

This is the common perception of putting images in your portfolio without a release.

Mary wrote:
correct.  If it's your portfolio of work and you are using it ONLY to promote youreself  you dont need a release.

This is the legally more realistic view.

theda wrote:
According to strict legal minutia, anyone who is not the copyright holder should obtain a copyright waiver to reproduce the images in any form and possibly to dsiplay them in an  online profile or portfolio.  In reality, only a complete douchebag of a photographer would actually object to someone using their work in a portfolio context.

TXPhotog wrote:
Short form advice:  get a release from the model and a copyright waiver or license from the photographer.  If you don't, you are at potential peril in the future when the model changes boyfriends or the photographer gets real strapped for cash and decides he needs money more than he needs a good reputation.

People seem to think that self-promotion isn't commercial because they are not selling the photos or using it to endorse a product.  The fact is they are using the photos to endorse a product; their own photography, stylist or modeling services!  The goal is to have people look at the photos as representations of their work and as a result, book them.  Different people have had different views on this and the courts haven't published any decisions as yet.  However, the general concensus seems to be that promotional use may be construed as commercial if an action were filed.

I have offered this link before, I will do it again:  http://www.danheller.com/model-release.html

Dan Heller has offered a very cogent and enlightening tutorial on model releases and when they are needed.  For a stylist to display images provided to her by a photographer, he/she would properly need a license by the photographer to display the image and a release from the model allowing the stylist to use his/her likeness to endorse her work.

As a practical matter, most photographers and models are happy to have their work on display.  If they are not, you will usually get a cease and desist letter before anyone takes action against you.

I have never understood though why photographers don't just carry a two paragraph form setting out the terms under which they provide images.  The release signed by the model to the photographer probably gives him the authority to let a stylist display the images on her site.

I agree, there is little risk when you display images for promotional purposes, but the risk is greater than zero.  My question is why would you want to expose yourself when you can protect yourself so easily?

Mar 22 06 04:07 pm Link