Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > What would your MUA reality show be like?

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

It sucks that they have shows about everything else except for makeup.

If you could create a reality show about makeup artists, what would it be like?

Would it be a competition?

Would it be about the lives of successful MUA's?

Who would be your judges?

What would be the final prize?

Mar 16 06 08:48 am Link

Makeup Artist

Naomi

New York, New York, US

ya know I thought about this. I'd rather have them show the following:

Us shlepping our big ass cases everyehere
models bitching and being nasty..telling you what to do
photographers asking you to do a look that they can't describe to save his/her life
us sometimes never getting credit
us sometimes being reflector or prop holder

I could go on..

Mar 16 06 10:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

hehehe Naomi you made me laugh, I think an obstical course carring out big ass cases through it would be a real eye opener for alot of people, smile
But honestly I would love to be on a show that featured the make-up, kinda like Hair wars or Project Runway but more like Mission Make-up , where 13 make-up artist battle it out in crazy challenges like the dollar store make-up challenge, all of the make-up you use is from the dollar store, and you get like $15 bucks to buy it with and 10 min to find what you need. smile or an organic challenge where you have to make all of your own products using stuff found in a grochery store. (excluding the make-up aisle) or do make-up blind folded ,
I could go on and on and on I should approch the makers of Project Runway with this concept,ok and if anyone hears about a show and they have the challenges I have mentioned I am saying I get a cut of the profits. smile smile
Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artisrty

Mar 16 06 01:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lydia Martin

New York, New York, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
hehehe Naomi you made me laugh, I think an obstical course carring out big ass cases through it would be a real eye opener for alot of people, smile
But honestly I would love to be on a show that featured the make-up, kinda like Hair wars or Project Runway but more like Mission Make-up , where 13 make-up artist battle it out in crazy challenges like the dollar store make-up challenge, all of the make-up you use is from the dollar store, and you get like $15 bucks to buy it with and 10 min to find what you need. smile or an organic challenge where you have to make all of your own products using stuff found in a grochery store. (excluding the make-up aisle) or do make-up blind folded ,
I could go on and on and on I should approch the makers of Project Runway with this concept,ok and if anyone hears about a show and they have the challenges I have mentioned I am saying I get a cut of the profits. smile smile
Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artisrty

Ha!! sounds like you can profit from that concept. But what would be the prize? Which line would you have contract the show?

Mar 31 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

It should be like Iron Chef on the Food Network. There would be a Master MUA who takes on a challenger, and right when the show starts the secret theme/prop/product will be revealed that the artist have to center their look around.

I dunno, maybe the prize would be a photoshoot in Vogue or something?

Man, I love Iron Chef...I mean Iron Makeup Artist.

Mar 31 06 01:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I have no doubt one is in the works already.  In fact I got an email not too long ago about this so I know the concept it being worked on at least.

I think it would deter a lot of people from wanting to enter this field and that would be a good thing....

Sometimes when I am on jobs I feel like I'm on a reality show.  Once I had to climb a huge billboard at the top of a hotel to powder a model for a Dupont shoot....one of the only time I chickend out on a job....close to the top I handed her the powder, I just couldnt put myself on the ledge.    Another time I had to climb down cliffs with my set bag and almost lost footing and would have probably broken my neck if I had fallen, I do cliff climbing in La Jolla at least 2 times a month.....Another time I was standing in the shallow beach water when  a huge wave came in and whiped out my kit sitting on the beach....high tide I guess came in while we were shooting.....I have so many stories, this is just the beginning.....so when people say Americas Next Top Model is unrealistic (the things they go through) its not true.....its very realistic for a model that has been doing this for years to run into  many of the situations you see these models in.

I wouldnt be on a reality show as a contetestant, I am at the end not the beginning of my career and wouldnt risk losing big clients over it....I have no doubt I would make an ass out myself of national tv smile    I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a show like this.

Mar 31 06 10:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Mary wrote:
I have no doubt one is in the works already.  In fact I got an email not too long ago about this so I know the concept it being worked on at least.

I think it would deter a lot of people from wanting to enter this field and that would be a good thing....

Sometimes when I am on jobs I feel like I'm on a reality show.  Once I had to climb a huge billboard at the top of a hotel to powder a model for a Dupont shoot....one of the only time I chickend out on a job....close to the top I handed her the powder, I just couldnt put myself on the ledge.    Another time I had to climb down cliffs with my set bag and almost lost footing and would have probably broken my neck if I had fallen, I do cliff climbing in La Jolla at least 2 times a month.....Another time I was standing in the shallow beach water when  a huge wave came in and whiped out my kit sitting on the beach....high tide I guess came in while we were shooting.....I have so many stories, this is just the beginning.....so when people say Americas Next Top Model is unrealistic (the things they go through) its not true.....its very realistic for a model that has been doing this for years to run into  many of the situations you see these models in.

I wouldnt be on a reality show as a contetestant, I am at the end not the beginning of my career and wouldnt risk losing big clients over it....I have no doubt I would make an ass out myself of national tv smile    I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a show like this.

I would love to have seen you crawling up a bill board.I totally agree with you Mary about how realistic the things models have to go through, I once fell through a rusty metal floor on the way to powder a nose, I should have gotten paied Danger pay for  that shoot, instead I had to get a tetnis shot.smile I would totally love to be on a make-up artist reality show I think it would deture alot of "I can do make-up so I should be a make-up artist" people who just stand in my way smile hehehehe

Mar 31 06 11:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Lydia Martin wrote:
Ha!! sounds like you can profit from that concept. But what would be the prize? Which line would you have contract the show?

Hmmm the prize like a million dollar shopping spree at Sephora, or a spreat in Vogue or W something big , ohh and a car too, one thats all "pimped out" to be your make-up studio on wheels smile  ohh hey why not a traier thats like a mobile salon with a sink and a fancy chair :)ahhh that would be nice

Mar 31 06 11:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

Pazza_x_Trucco

El Centro, California, US

Hmmm the prize like a million dollar shopping spree at Sephora, or a spreat in Vogue or W something big , ohh and a car too, one thats all "pimped out" to be your make-up studio on wheels smile  ohh hey why not a traier thats like a mobile salon with a sink and a fancy chair :)ahhh that would be nice

I like that ^_^

Mar 31 06 11:58 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lydia Martin

New York, New York, US

that's hot..

Mar 31 06 12:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I think the ultimate prize would be a shoot with someone famouse for a Vogue fashion spread and yes Sephora could sponser the show and you would win at least $10,000 shopping spree.  I think the winner should also get signed with Art and Commerce for one year, something like that.

Mar 31 06 12:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

FAIRFAX STATION, Virginia, US

Sign me up for the one that carries those prizes Mary spoke of! big_smile

Mar 31 06 09:17 pm Link