Forums > Photography Talk > Shooting at your home

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I'm wondering about your experiences with shooting at your house, especially in the case of married photographers.

I'm asking because I'd prefer to shoot in a studio, but it's a pain lining up studio space that's not too far away or too expensive. I've looked into timeshares, but even that gets pricey quickly.

I've got enough space in our house and garden to do shoots, and of course , I wouldn't waste any time travelling and lugging my equipment.

Still, I'm wary of having models around when my kids and/or wife are here. My wife backs me in my photography, but I think she'd have a hard time actually seeing the models in their skimpy outfits. She also has a hard time with having 'strangers' in our house.

And I fear that I look like a creepy GWC if I have models here while I'm all by myself, with just the model.

Please share your experiences with shooting at your home and how you deal with any issues that might arise, be it with family, the model or neighbors. Or tell me that I'm worrying for nothing.

Thanks

Jun 29 05 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

I have a studio in my basement. No problems to date. Usally there is a MUA present, so I'm rearely alone with a model. My wife happens to be a hair stylist, and former model, so sometimes she's part of the shoot as a styist.

Merle

Jun 29 05 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Elemental Photo

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

I shoot in my living room and my husband is usually there. He just says hello, and then goes to his computer room to work and if i need anything, I can go bug him. Then he comes out to say goodbye when they leave. No problem at all. Though I can imagine kids would complicate things a wee bit. smile

Jun 29 05 09:14 am Link

Photographer

John Allen

Cannes, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

I shoot in my basement, not even a studio, I just push the couch against the wall.  The only real drawbacks are the 7 foot ceilings (hard to shoot those 6' 1" gals in 6" heels) and the carpet (which means to use a background roll I have to put down a sheet of plywood).  The only situation I can think of that would be better would be to live in or right next to a studio.  I have everything I need almost within arms reach: camera equipment, lighting equipment, food, drink, clothes and bathroom for changing.

My real job is software development which I do from an office also in my basement.  I have the model call when she leaves her abode and it takes me only about 15 minutes to "set up".  If the model is late - no problem, or doesn't show - again no problem other than I probably could have booked someone else.  This is also the reason I don't use a makeup artist unless the model books her or brings her.

"Still, I'm wary of having models around when my kids and/or wife are here."

No kids to worry about and the two deals I have with my wife are that no one goes upstairs and I shoot when she is at work unless it is a paid job or the model is from a long way off - out of state etc.

"And I fear that I look like a creepy GWC if I have models here while I'm all by myself, with just the model."

I do prefer to be alone with the model unless the companion is another good looking gal.  If I was to ever consider trying something with a model the LAST place I would want to do it would be in my home.  Much better to rent a studio, hotel room or go to the mountains - or so I have heard.

After 15 years and probably around 700 models I have only had one that refused to shoot after seeing my "studio".  A couple of months ago I even had 12 belly dancers and their makeup artist in my "studio" for a shoot.  That is something I won't do again unless I rent a studio.

I think you are worrying for nothing.  The only important thing is what you see through your lens.

John

Jun 29 05 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Scott Wittman Visual

Appleton, Wisconsin, US

Shooting in a house is tough because it's generally difficult to control light from bouncing all over the place because the rooms are small.

It's definately do-able, though.  Ideally, you would want to use a room that is used specifically and ONLY for shooting.  Maybe a basement or a den, not a living room.  (You would also be able to write off a portion of your mortgage or rent accordingly, provided the room is only for business use.)

Don't worry about the "Creepy GWC" thing.  You get them good shots, models don't care where you shoot.

My commercial studio is over an hour away from my house.  I don't drive there every day.  Some times, when I do simple, single model stuff, I shoot in my house as well.  Some of the headshots on my Profile were shot in my house.

Good luck to you.

Scott @ Reign

Jun 29 05 09:36 am Link

Photographer

MS Photo Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

My studio is my apartment. It's big enough to shoot two models on 9 foot backdrop at best. It's a little cramped but it gets the job done. I'm single so the wife and kids isn't an issue. My bigger concern is bringing strangers into my home but to date it hasn't been a problem.

mike

Jun 29 05 09:40 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

I would never shoot out of my house.  That's just lame.

I would shoot out of the model's house though, lol.

Jun 29 05 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Ephotique

Prescott, Arizona, US

Kortney and I (Ephotique) shoot out of our home.  Our 3 car garage has been converted to a studio.  Where possible, the ceilings have been raised and the overhead lighting, recessed (except when shooting 6'+ models, the 8.5' and higher ceilings haven't been an issue.)  Separate heating and cooling systems have been installed and the place is carpeted, electrical, TV and computer/network drops put in place and floor-to-ceiling storage cabinets installed. 

We have nearly a one acre back yard that has been landscaped in a tropical theme (about 50 palm trees with a heated pool and spa), 2 Koi ponds with a stream connecting the two ponds and 2 waterfalls (1-15' and the other 3'.)  With the exception of 3 images, all of the work on our portfolio was shot in our studio or in our back yard.

We dedicated an additional room for all business and photo processing/printing work.  The business is city-licensed and fully insured.

As for models and other clients in the house... this hasn't been a problem.  My wife is very supportive of what Kortney and I are doing (hell, my wife is the president of Ephotique!)  No, she's not real fond of skimpily-clad models about the house, but she is tolerant and we go to lengths to make sure the model is robed when she's not in the studio.

For us, there is great benefit to working out of our home.  First off is convenience.  The time I and Kortney would be spending driving to and from the studio is better spent working (shooting or processing.)  My wife has her computer in the processing room, so we are together most of the time and we really like it that way.  There's the benefit of having a perfectly lanscaped outdoor shooting area right outside your door with a pool/spa. That in itself would be difficult and prohibitively $$ to have with an off-site private studio (and still have control over the look and feel of it along with private access.) 

There's many more benefits, the last of which is financial.  A percentage of the home (room, garage, yard), expenses (gardiner, house cleaning, utilities, etc.)are deductible from our income tax (yes, we have a sole proprietor type structure, which works best for us right now.)

So all in all, the home studio thing works very well for us at this time in our business evolution.  What will happen next year or the year after may be a whole other story.

Best regards,
John
Ephotique

Jun 29 05 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Posted by Michael Sloane: 
My studio is my apartment. It's big enough to shoot two models on 9 foot backdrop at best. It's a little cramped but it gets the job done. I'm single so the wife and kids isn't an issue. My bigger concern is bringing strangers into my home but to date it hasn't been a problem.

mike

Same with me - but my problem is to explain the models that they have to come to my appartement. Some expecting being some pervert who let's them in, but never out.
So it's always complicated for me - this is why I always suggest a meeting in a public place like a café or so...

Jun 29 05 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

I would definetly shoot out of my house if i set up a studio. The capabilities of changing things as you want for shoots is worth it alone. Dont be sleezy and as long as the model feels safe, secure and not threatened by a sexual attack I cant see why they would mind either. As long as you give them shots they like you should have no problem.
The living room is a no-no to me, i would much prefer basement, empty bedroom (each with a bathroom) for privacy and makeup among the unmentionable use's she may need.

Jun 29 05 10:37 am Link

Photographer

MS Photo Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Hartsoe: 

mike

Same with me - but my problem is to explain the models that they have to come to my appartement. Some expecting being some pervert who let's them in, but never out.
So it's always complicated for me - this is why I always suggest a meeting in a public place like a café or so...

Almost everything in portfolio shot in a studio setting is in my home. Most people can't tell. My studio is small and there are constraints to what I can do but I've learned to work around it. It's what you do you with your space not the size of the space.

mike

Jun 29 05 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Barone Photography

Northampton, Pennsylvania, US

I own my own studio now, but didn't always. My studio was in my home and as long as you are professional and tell the models up front that you operate a home studio there should be no issue.

Michael

Barone Studio

Jun 29 05 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Ephotique: 
Ephotique

Sounds beautiful!

Jun 29 05 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Posted by Hartsoe: 

mike

Almost everything in portfolio shot in a studio setting is in my home. Most people can't tell. My studio is small and there are constraints to what I can do but I've learned to work around it. It's what you do you with your space not the size of the space.

mike

Yeah - all my shots are taken actually in my living room (except for the obvious outside ones). I made it easy to rearrange an it became almost cosy during the shootings, since you have a relaxed, but still professional atmosphere.

Jun 29 05 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I've shot a bunch at my house.  Fortunately I have high ceilings and enough space to make it kind of easy.  After watching JT Smith, I'm kind of convinced that you can take a good shot just about anywhere, if you take the time to see how the light is working and you're careful.

Jun 29 05 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Temple City, California, US

The way i see it is that if you have to shoot you got shoot. I have a in-home-studio and that is just what i call it when i ask models to shoot at my studio. If they have a problem i just let them know that I have some one with me at all times or that they can bring some one along to the shoot. As long as they don't get in the way. I have a 1 bedroom apt. I dont often stay here. I shoot on Mon Tue & Wed from 9am till 9pm I dont pay rent here. The place belongs to my Godfather. So why let a good thing go down the drain. I have my house in an other city not to far from my apt. I use the living room as a studio. I have all my equipment set up. I have my own garage downstairs. I have over 50 different color papaer back drops that i use. It is great. The atmospher is proffesional i get good lighting, an excellent fact is that i can down load the images and give the models a CD upfront. I do how ever charge for studio time. Lighting isn't free and I do have to pay for my electricity and phone and water and gas bills... So yeah haveing a in-home-baised studio works for me. Bravo Magic Image Photogrpahy.

Jun 29 05 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

I shoot out of my house.  On a location if the shot fits.  Personally, I would love to be one of those lucky souls that can boast a seperate studio with ooodles of natural light facing whatever direction, studio lights, makeup stations, bathrooms with rose scented water, chocolate dipped strawberries, etc etc etc.  Unfortunately, current reality is different so I make do with what I have.

The only big problems are scheduling around other people in the house and making sure the model (if a new one that hasn't worked with me before) isn't expecting a Victoria's Secret Lifestyles of the rich and famous type setting.

Jun 29 05 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by JvR: 
Or tell me that I'm worrying for nothing.

You're worrying for nothing.

Especially in and around the city, we New York photographers have to conserve space as best we can, and one way to do that is to shoot from home.  My "studio" (in Astoria, Queens) is simply the living room with the dining table moved to the kitchen.  And I set up hair and makeup in my bedroom.  At first, I thought it might make me seem unprofessional, but almost everyone who comes comments on what a great space I have and how lucky I am to have such a great apartment.  And it helps to have a great couch.

I can't speak about spouses or kids, but my roommates utilize the time I spend shooting to hone their Playstation skills.  And when the crew is chipping in to order food, I make sure we get enough to feed the roommates, too, so they never complain.  And sometimes I make them hold reflectors or break down light stands.  It's amazing what 2 slices of pizza will buy you.

I think the key is when you're talking about your space, never think of it as anything but your studio.  A studio is not a type of space, but a location where you create.  If you believe in the space, so will your guests.

Jun 29 05 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Smitty

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have a two bedroom townhome and I am single I use the extra room as my studio. I have lights set up backdrops my computer for the model to view the images when I am done shooting I hav'nt had any problems I guess the space is sufficient enough it gets the job done.

Jun 29 05 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Belmont

Rochester, Washington, US

I think it is a simple issue really: do work that would not provoke your wife.  I don't mean you have to compromise your artistic vision per se, but don't take sexually motivated of nude OR clothed women (or men).

You should not have to hide anything from your partner in life, as you would not like it if they worked this way, hiding it from your view. 

~Joel

Jun 29 05 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

dame

New York, New York, US

i shoot out of my 3 bedroom, NYC apartment. i use the livingroom for alot of my stuff. i have learned how to do alot of things with the space i have.

i feel ok doing it. i also feel like its a challenge to my creative mind to come up with different things with such a small space. the avatar im using right now (june 29th..10:00 pm) was shot in my livingroom as was 11 other pics in my current portfolio. i actually got tired of using my apt, until i started thinking out of the box. then i started seeing value in whatever corner i felt like using.

but to all who dont like shooing in their house... give me your address, and ill be over there to do it for you.   smile

one love,
dame

Jun 29 05 08:59 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Very few of the photographers I've worked with (including the pros) have access to a studio other than the one they build in their tiny apartments.  YTou might be surprised to learn how many  of the fashion editorials you see were shot in the photographer's tiny apartment.

Jun 29 05 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by JvR: 
I'm wondering about your experiences with shooting at your house, especially in the case of married photographers.
...(snipped)...

I'm being serious okay? ...if it's that time of the month, I avoid shooting at my place. I'm strictly outdoors, or someone elses place.

Jun 29 05 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Dimler

Tampa, Florida, US

I just bought a home in a small town just outside of a college town to be closer to family.  It sits on two acres with some really beautiful trees and landscape and to look past my back fence are rolling hills of gorgeous paster.  The black angus cows come up the fence every morning to say hi.  It's actually quite nice and I often sit on the back deck and just look through the hills.  It's a gorgeous part of the country and I am getting fairly known in this town with the models and aspiring models.  I do want to start working towards making a part of my basement into a studio and feel that I can shoot outside on my property if need be.  Also for my work with car and bike models, I have a perfect setting outdoors as well for nice scenic shots and have no problem fitting the cars and bikes onto the property.  (I also do other types of photography genres, but mainly in the car and bikes arena)  The summer time, I often have a problem finding an indoor air conditioned place to shoot.  In the winter I have several businesses that will let me use their space for a photo shoot and some are quite nice, but do not keep it air conditioned in the summer. 

The problem I see is that so many models are putting in their profiles that they will not shoot at someone home or apt.  If that is going to be the case in my part of the country...Kansas, then why should I put forth the effort into turning some of my space into a studio?  Or should I just "built it and they will come".  I don't know...your thoughts??

Doug
D2Images

Jun 29 05 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

David Hoffman

New York, New York, US

I shoot a lot my home and I am married. It has never been an issue for my wife or for the models I've worked with. I think you'll find that you can get excellent results at home too and that your location shouldn't change your method.

Jun 29 05 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Clint Kapp

San Pedro, San José, Costa Rica

Posted by dame: 
i shoot out of my 3 bedroom, NYC apartment. i use the livingroom for alot of my stuff. i have learned how to do alot of things with the space i have.

i feel ok doing it. i also feel like its a challenge to my creative mind to come up with different things with such a small space. the avatar im using right now (june 29th..10:00 pm) was shot in my livingroom as was 11 other pics in my current portfolio. i actually got tired of using my apt, until i started thinking out of the box. then i started seeing value in whatever corner i felt like using.

but to all who dont like shooing in their house... give me your address, and ill be over there to do it for you.   smile

one love,
dame

We rarely, if ever use a commercial studio any more. While our house is a typically small-ish San Diego home, it works just fine. Creativity and use of space, as Dame so aptly puts it, is the key. We use Kino's, so the huge soft-box issue is no longer an issue.

There has never been a problem with a model's attitude towards coming to our home. My girlfriend Niki is my production and prop person as well as the fashion and make-up consultant, so I never shoot alone anyway.

Now if John and Kourtney at Ephotique want to adopt a 47 year old son son with a mean set of beams, their locale referenced in an earlier post sounds mighty juicy....

Clint

Jun 30 05 09:57 am Link

Photographer

cosfrog

San Diego, California, US

I also converted my garage (not as extensive as John E.), painted the walls 18% grey and put up a background system. My only issue is shooting the glamour stuff while family is in the room next to us feels a bit awkward to me (models have no problem so far). Once I got it done, after the first shoot I wanted more space =o) But it is better than having to kick out the family and convert the living room and then taking it all down again.

Jun 30 05 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Ephotique

Prescott, Arizona, US

Posted by Clint Kapp: 

Now if John and Kourtney at Ephotique want to adopt a 47 year old son son with a mean set of beams, their locale referenced in an earlier post sounds mighty juicy....

Clint

Hmm... I'm thinking... Do you do windows?   :-)

John

Jun 30 05 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Lesley Brown

Marfa, Texas, US

i shoot a lot at home.  if my husband is home, he will just go out to his garage and leave me alone.  my husband 100% supports and loves what i do, so that is never an issue.  i do not have a studio, or space to create one.  i have small bedrooms so i just make do with what i have.  one time i did a shoot in my office and had to crawl under my computer desk so that i could get the shots i wanted smile  the best part is, i live out of the city and i have a ton of desert right out my front door and i have a huge backyard.  i did however do a shoot in my driveway a few months ago and all the neighbors kept peaking out their front doors.  it was actually kind of funny.  it is very quiet where i live and i rarely see my neighbors.  but as soon as there was a gorgeous woman in a bathing suit in my driveway they all appeared at once smile

Jun 30 05 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I like that 'its just lame' comment.

I built a recording studio in my home years ago...recorded several local bands, and put out two of my own records. I guess they dont count because its my home. Pop those cds in, you'll hear nothing, lol.

That same studio is now my photo studio. Why should I rent an additional space when I have one here? I have a wife (who has her own degree in fine art), do plenty of nude work, and its not a problem. Then again, we're not running a porno ring here either.

Is it not the PICTURES that do the talking? or is that also lame?

Jun 30 05 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Dimler

Tampa, Florida, US

Thanks girls and guys.  I feel that if I make a nice and safe studio both inside and out then I shouldn't feel bad about having models come out to the studio (house).  So when I get those models that refuse to go to a home studio I can say "location and be hot or cold" (unless the weather is nice) or "sorry, I have a created a studio in my home and also use my land as outside locations when needed".  But I will always go do location shot if the weather is good....heck even if the weather is not as long as the model feels ok with it. 

Thanks again!!

Doug
D2Images

Jun 30 05 06:11 pm Link