Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Can someone explain something about makeup ads?

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

I have a question that may be a little silly.

I know that it is said that we shouldn't use drugstore products for film or print.  But I was wondering, don't those lines  (Maybelline, Revlon, L'Oreal, Covergirl etc.) own products have to be used in their ads.  When I see ads in magazines or commercials on tv the makeup looks good to me.

So I just wanted to know if those brands have to use their own products only for their ads or if they can use other brands.

Silly question but I was just wondering!

Thanks Much,
Melissa

Mar 16 06 09:43 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:
I have a question that may be a little silly.

I know that it is said that we shouldn't use drugstore products for film or print.  But I was wondering, don't those lines  (Maybelline, Revlon, L'Oreal, Covergirl etc.) own products have to be used in their ads.  When I see ads in magazines or commercials on tv the makeup looks good to me.

So I just wanted to know if those brands have to use their own products only for their ads or if they can use other brands.

Silly question but I was just wondering!

Thanks Much,
Melissa

I always wondered that too. but i think i might recall watching a marathon of america's top model one night and noticed that the models were getting their makeup done with proffessional products right before a 'cover girl' shoot. hmmm...

that's a good question. well i know one thing, many mascara commercials use
models with fake (and obviosly fake) eyelashes. i'm thinking if they can legally do that, maybe they could legally shoot make-up commercials w/o using their own makeup? maybe as long as they don't specifically SAY that the models are wearing thier makeup they can get away with it? not sure. that's just and educated guess.

Mar 16 06 09:53 pm Link

Model

Savvy1007

Emily Chen wrote:
I always wondered that too. but i think i might recall watching a marathon of america's top model one night and noticed that the models were getting their makeup done with proffessional products right before a 'cover girl' shoot. hmmm...

that's a good question. well i know one thing, many mascara commercials use
models with fake (and obviosly fake) eyelashes. i'm thinking if they can legally do that, maybe they could legally shoot make-up commercials w/o using their own makeup? maybe as long as they don't specifically SAY that the models are wearing thier makeup they can get away with it? not sure. that's just and educated guess.

I'm sure Cover Girl has high end professional products that aren't for sale.   But even that would be deceitful since they're not using the products they're selling.  But we all no that the actresses who advertise for hair dye products don't use them.  And all that matters in the end for the company advertising/using movie star in ad is how much money they will bring in.

Mar 16 06 10:01 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Rae Deslich

Chicago, Illinois, US

There is also the wonder of airbrushing. Even if they use Cover Girl makeup, they can still cover any smudges, clumps, or blemishes (that the makeup won't cover) with photo editing.

Mar 16 06 10:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Keep in mind that 99% of all advetizing is digitally editied, or photo shopped in some way. I just saw an add with Cristy Brinkly and the comertical was toally edited, her eyes looked freeky becasue they were way too bright and the white of her eyes prictically glue in the dark. it was crazy and I had to change the chanell. I think that they might not use thier  drugstore products for the adds and cometials. or maybe they use like 10% of their product. but like they have said before you cant belive everything that you see on tv.

Mar 16 06 10:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

Nope, for the most part, what you see in the ads is rarely what was used. I remember reading that as long as what was used gives a comparable result, you do not have to use the exact product being advertised. And virtually anything can be added in post production anyway.

As far as product placement on shows, that's exactly what it is. "Product Placement" by sponsors. When you see a story in a magazine that says "so and so for (cosmetic line X) they didnt necessarily use that product, they may have used a comparable product and the line merely paid to have their name on it.

HTH!!

Mar 16 06 10:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

I remember looking at a Clinique ad which had a smoky eye.
I looked at the shadow the collection was spotlighting and noticed on my hand it was WAY too sheer.
After staring close at the ad, I came to a conclusion they used a silver creme base under the shardow to make it more opaque.
Now, the "collection" had no mention of this cream shadow.

I have always heard for ads that they use only thier product. But I know they combine things and say its just one item. 

MAC would use a color but say it was something else just cause the newer one had less color payoff for an ad. But it was still a MAC color.

Mar 16 06 11:02 pm Link

Model

Kara Mae

Baltimore, Maryland, US

most of the drug-store cosmetics are made by companies that also have high-end products.

However... who says you shouldn't use drug store products?  You should use whatever works for you.  Drug store cosmetics are sometimes perfect for shoots because they don't have staying power, but last long enough to take some shots.
Of course, high end cosmetics are usually better for eye colors, I find.
Almost every pro-makeup artist I've known has had some drugstore products in their box.

Mar 16 06 11:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

Oddly enough, there are only about four companies that make cosmetics.... they carry different targeted to the different markets; teens, women, middle aged, older, etc... If you will look at the packaging you can see similarities, MAC sells to the younger crowd, yet Trucco (same packaging with close to same type products) sells to middle aged baby boomers.

Uneducated guess, they really don't care if the makeup is theirs, the postproduction in photoshop can take away blemishes and soften skin, take away lines and circles etc... as stated before, the mascara companies showing their product making lashes look so long (are really artifical lashes) who are they kidding??? They sell the emotion in marketing.

Mar 17 06 12:30 am Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

I know mascara companies almost always use false lashes in their ads.  Even before I became a MUA I knew the lashes were fake because I had never met someone whose natural lashes touch their eyebrows.  But maybe that's just me.

Someone mentioned this.  I wonder if on shows like America's Next Top Model (Covergirl) and on Project Runway (L'Oreal) if they only use the products they show on camera.  Because I know that for certain looks they have to use products that those lines do not carry.

Mar 17 06 09:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

well i personally think that a makeup artist can figure out a way to make anything work. i also don't think that there is any rule about using high end v. drugstore as there are some drugstore brands that work better than some hihgh end ones. it is also true that mots cosmetics comapnies are hugh conglomorates (for example loreal owns kheils and estee lauder owns mac, bobbi and a million other brands).

i think that it is more about the technique than the product. a good MUA can make a cover girl shadow do what it wants to do, do i reccomend stocking your kit with covergirl... not exactly. I don't doubt that they use other colors and brands, but most of those big low end comapnies still have national artists pat mcgrath did the max factor campaign with carmen electra, collier strong does all the loreal ads...etc... anyways, the point being that a MUA can make it work.

Mar 17 06 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Daemon

West Hazleton, Pennsylvania, US

I am not a stylist, but deal with a lot of makeup, I used to be in the industry. The price of a product has very little to do with the end result. Some inexpensive drug store lines are great, while some high end "pro" products don't work so well. And products vary greatly within the same line.

Use what works. Products that are sold in dept stores here are sold in drug stores in Europe, and vice verse. It's marketing.

There's a website that critiques cosmetic formulas that I have gotten a lot of good info from.

www.cosmeticscop.com

Mar 17 06 10:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Kara Mae wrote:
most of the drug-store cosmetics are made by companies that also have high-end products.

However... who says you shouldn't use drug store products?  You should use whatever works for you.  Drug store cosmetics are sometimes perfect for shoots because they don't have staying power, but last long enough to take some shots.
Of course, high end cosmetics are usually better for eye colors, I find.
Almost every pro-makeup artist I've known has had some drugstore products in their box.

umm actually some drugstore products DO NOT work for photo shoots, especially foundations. some eye shadows have too much shimmer in them and they create hot spots. and some times you need more staying power , i have worked on shoots that last up to 8hrs and trust me I dont want to re do make-up half way through a shoot. I do have some drug store products but I dont skimp on things like foundation or eye shadows.

Mar 17 06 12:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

i dont know though, a lot of MUAs use La Femme, especially ones int he film/tv industry and they are like 2 bucks a pop.

Mar 17 06 01:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

rachelrose wrote:
well i personally think that a makeup artist can figure out a way to make anything work. i also don't think that there is any rule about using high end v. drugstore as there are some drugstore brands that work better than some hihgh end ones. it is also true that mots cosmetics comapnies are hugh conglomorates (for example loreal owns kheils and estee lauder owns mac, bobbi and a million other brands).

i think that it is more about the technique than the product. a good MUA can make a cover girl shadow do what it wants to do, do i reccomend stocking your kit with covergirl... not exactly. I don't doubt that they use other colors and brands, but most of those big low end comapnies still have national artists pat mcgrath did the max factor campaign with carmen electra, collier strong does all the loreal ads...etc... anyways, the point being that a MUA can make it work.

That was more the point I was trying to make but Rachel vebalized it better.

The artist can find a way to make it work- Using a cream base under the shadow to make it more opaque or last longer.. Using a less frosty color in the line but blending it with a slight shimmer, but saying its that frosty one in the ad.

The MUA will find a way to make it work- thats why they make 1000$s of dollars.

Mar 17 06 04:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

Not that I condone this BUT alot of drugstore products can be used for flash photography photoshoots. Shadows...be careful with the shimmer...stick with what is matte or has a slight sheen. Foundation...just check on the ingredient list...make sure Titanium Dioxide is not amoung the first 6...that means if it says "may contain" ...it should be perfectly fine for a shoot since it contains less than 20% titanium peroxide.

Mar 17 06 06:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

The foundation is almost always a professional brand and not the brand they are selling, I have done a few cosmetic ads and nobody even bothered to ask me what I was using.  There is no truth in advertising, trust me on that one.

Mar 17 06 07:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

Mary wrote:
The foundation is almost always a professional brand and not the brand they are selling, I have done a few cosmetic ads and nobody even bothered to ask me what I was using.  There is no truth in advertising, trust me on that one.

Kinda like last years Project Runway when they showed MAC make-up palletes and said it was "Loreal" studio make-up. That is so true.

Mar 17 06 10:08 pm Link