Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > wardrobe help.

Model

S. Stark

Los Angeles, California, US

as summer is coming and i've given most of my frumpy/worn out clothes to thrift stores...i need a new wardrobe.

i've notice that nothing i buy ever seems to look as great on me at home as it did in the store...and that shows in my pictures.  i look like i don't care about my appearance every time i do a shot with clothes on (rare). 

someone please look through my pictures and suggest a color scheme or SOMETHING to help me feel more confident with my clothing choices.  my legs are long, my torso is short...not much junk in the trunk, and chest got MUCH smaller once i started working out.  i need to know what type of cuts i should be looking for in tops and jeans that will make me look less boyish and more womanly.

also...when i where skirts i look gigantic.  like...skinny little me at the top and then BAM...what style should i buy to remedy this?

shandra

Mar 18 06 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

i love the copper on you in the headshot, i'm not so crazy about the purple.

off topic: did you get my email regarding a shoot on april 8th?  let me know if you're interested, we'd love to have you.

Mar 18 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Wow! I'm surprised if you're having self-perception problems. You're a very good-looking young lady.

I see you in combat boots, skin-tight stretch camo jeans, a khaki shirt partly unbuttoned with the sleeves rolled up, gathered at your waist with a belt with some kind of big buckle. smile But then I'm weird. smile

You've got nice sized/shaped b(.)(.)bies and you can get a lot of mileage out of them with strappy-shouldered tops and you could layer shirts (in varying degrees of loose) over top of those. Stick with fitted skirts that accentuate your waist and hips and show off your legs and you'll probably attract more attention than you want.

mjr.

Mar 18 06 09:28 am Link

Model

S. Stark

i only have self-perception issues when clothed...i think i'm fabulous naked! smile

thank you very much for the advice.

Mar 18 06 09:31 am Link

Model

S. Stark

another thing...capris.  okay for my body type or not?

i absolutely hate shorts...jeans are fine...but they drag alot and aren't fun to wear during the summer.  i generally end up wearing the same skirt and flip-flops all summer long.  i love the way cropped pants feel, but am worried about what they'll do for my body in pictures (i never care what i look like in everday life...sweatpants/pj shorts all day everyday).

Mar 18 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Shandra wrote:
another thing...capris.  okay for my body type or not?

i absolutely hate shorts...jeans are fine...but they drag alot and aren't fun to wear during the summer.  i generally end up wearing the same skirt and flip-flops all summer long.  i love the way cropped pants feel, but am worried about what they'll do for my body in pictures (i never care what i look like in everday life...sweatpants/pj shorts all day everyday).

personally, I think most people look silly in tight, cigarette pant type capris.  you have to be very tall and slender to pull it off.  But I think most people who can't pull off tight pants look good in some wide legged cropped gouchos.

Mar 18 06 09:47 am Link

Model

S. Stark

grr...fucking gouchos.  I suppose I can try them on.  they would, afterall, be comfortable.  they're just all i ever see anymore.

sigh.

Mar 18 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Shandra wrote:
grr...fucking gouchos.  I suppose[/] I can try them on.  they [i]would, afterall, be comfortable.  they're just all i ever see anymore.

sigh.

at least they are fashion foward.  last season all you saw were cigarette pants smile

Personally, I've always worn gouchos, whether they were "in" or not.

Mar 18 06 10:16 am Link

Model

S. Stark

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
last season all you saw were cigarette pants smile

very true.  i understand now.  i give in.

Mar 18 06 10:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I think that a wide legged capri would look great on you, try the whole layered look go vintage you have a face that could do alot of "period" styled lookes. (1920's-1950's) play with style go for what you like , fashion right now is very playful you can be a girly girl or a seriourse figure its up to you.

Mar 18 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
I think that a wide legged capri would look great on you, try the whole layered look go vintage you have a face that could do alot of "period" styled lookes. (1920's-1950's) play with style go for what you like , fashion right now is very playful you can be a girly girl or a seriourse figure its up to you.

I agree.  I looove vintage styles and they would suit Shandra very well.

Mar 18 06 10:57 am Link

Model

S. Stark

excited that others think that style will work for me.  vintage and period-style clothing=pretty much my favorite of all time.

i'm writing everything from his forum and my e-mails down...going shopping an an hour or so...will take pictures of what I bring back and post in here smile

excited.

Mar 18 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Shandra wrote:
excited that others think that style will work for me.  vintage and period-style clothing=pretty much my favorite of all time.

i'm writing everything from his forum and my e-mails down...going shopping an an hour or so...will take pictures of what I bring back and post in here smile

excited.

ooooh tell me what stores you are hitting.  there are some great ones just off of state st... ragstock, moxie, and a few little weird ones just around the corner from jamba juice (i think).  I'm going vintage shopping today too, with my mom!  yesss!

Mar 18 06 11:07 am Link

Model

S. Stark

ragstock for sure, plato's closet (like good will for "gently used" clothing), charlotte russe, target smile, then i had just planned to walk up and down state street looking for clothes in stores i've never been in(actually...state street first).  I've lived here for about three months and never gone aside from visiting the sushi bar and Himalchuli(sp)

Mar 18 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Shandra wrote:
ragstock for sure, plato's closet (like good will for "gently used" clothing), charlotte russe, target smile, then i had just planned to walk up and down state street looking for clothes in stores i've never been in(actually...state street first).  I've lived here for about three months and never gone aside from visiting the sushi bar and Himalchuli(sp)

i love state st... i've found it's less snooty and more accessible than the milwaukee equivalent (brady st).  the food is wicked and there's always something fun going on.  you'll love the summer on state st!

Mar 18 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Taryn Lindsey

Columbus, Ohio, US

The best thing to do is to go to a clothing store and pick several themes, then pick the one (or two) that suit you the best.
Make about 10 different outfits (for example):
A vintage look-lace and furs, etc.
Bohemian- long, loose skirts, lots of layered tops
A city look- pencil jeans or j-lo shorts (they'll give you a booty!) a sweater with extra long sleeves
Maybe try the poofy tops and pencil jeans? They'll make your top and bottom more balanced.
Just my two cents!

Mar 18 06 11:22 am Link

Model

S. Stark

balance...that's exactly what i've been missing.

Mar 18 06 11:36 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have one word for you: Color. Personally I think draker clothing tends to wash out your skin whereas you looked much more vibrant in the light purple top. As far as feminity, think outside of the box and do things which accenuate those long legs of yours but compensate for the fact that you're not full chested (which can be a good thing). Try a mini dress with a deep v-neck (something that actually works well on smaller chested women as there's little to no chance of a wardrobe mishap) and get some heels which will accentuate your legs even further. On a completely different side of the spectrum you could also try some shots in more tailored menswear pieces (a man's button down white shirt looks good on every woman). BTW you'd look good in gauchos, don't foget the heels though smile
Good luck!
~Tiffany B.~

Mar 19 06 10:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sara Marshall

Kilmichael, Mississippi, US

I won't pretend to know as much as others on here but my first thought for your body type, skintone, and overall look you portray was to try a 1950's style donna reed type knee length dress or skirt style. Poufy in the blouse will help with thickening the top half, the belt(i suggest the wider the better just because I like that look and it doesn't make you look sliced in half like a smaller belt will)will give you a defined waistline and accentuate a curve and the a-line of the skirt will finish an hourglass shape as well as show off your long legs.  Maybe modernize the look by leaving the top unbuttoned a bit with a contrasting feminine or glitzy camisole underneath and some strappy heels in the same color as the camisole.

I agree that color is definately what you should go for. Warm colors. Take a camera with you when you shop. a little polaroid or a digital and try color and shapes.  You look different in pictures than you do in the mirror. Take them home and show them to people and get their opinions. Especially stylists who may can help you weed out the bad and accentuate the good more.  Take a friend you trust will tell you the truth and not just boost your ego and who has some sort of fashion sense.

Mar 21 06 10:06 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I would stick with short skirts to show off your legs, or long slim fit pants, these will accentuate your long legs.   I would stick with feminine tops and dresses to sofen you up....I dont mean frills and lace, I mean flowing soft fabrics.  You might also want to consider hair extentions....I think long hair would go farther then a new wardrobe in softening your look.  You are a beautiful girl, your eyes are incredible, long hair with the top pulled back on the sides will make your eyes pop.

Mar 21 06 10:44 am Link

Clothing Designer

La Bella Femme Style

Modesto, California, US

need new clothing? See my profile page for my website

Mar 29 06 03:15 am Link

Model

Phoebe I

Austin, Indiana, US

Labellafemmestyle wrote:
need new clothing? See my profile page for my website

Your Women's knitted multicolor rayon