Forums > Photography Talk > what percentage of a portfolio should be models lanscapes ec

Photographer

corbcn

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

i have been doing photography for a few years and trying to build a portfolio of all my work is there a certain percentage ratio and also wondering if you havent worked with a model is it alright to use yourself   

Jun 29 05 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Personaly i would make the largest portion of your portfolio what your real desire is to shoot. Your strongest or what you really want to do. From that point on have other things your interested in shooting. Try to keep it even but that not always possible since you may shoot more things more often than others.
Models split up glamour, casual, nude ect. but keep your strongest first and largest and work your way thru the rest. Thats how i keep mine and then i keep my best work in the front of each section.

Jun 29 05 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Peter Dattolo: 
Personaly i would make the largest portion of your portfolio what your real desire is to shoot. Your strongest or what you really want to do. 

I agree !!
Its what you see..
There is alota debate on what a Model is..

Is that a Bird!.. Is that a Plane?..No its SuperModel!!!

I dont Care what everyone thinks cause in my Lenz ....

Everything is a Supermodel!!

Jun 29 05 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

My current avatar is a group shot...

Jun 29 05 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I would post mostly a portfolio of slammin' hotttt chicks and maybe like one fine art picture of an old wrecked car in a field or something, so people can see that really I'm an artist not just some guy who likes to look at girls with no clothes on.

GWC!

Jun 29 05 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

1 out of 4 should be horizontal

Jul 02 05 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
1 out of 4 should be horizontal

Is that pics or sex positions?

Jul 02 05 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

DeputyDawg

East Peoria, Illinois, US

What I've read in phot mags and have been told by seasoned photographers:

"Models' Portfolios"...20-photos. 2-of the best from 10 photographers. (Shows versatility of being able to work with various photographers...various styles). Depending on the client's project, show only those photos that pertain to that project. (Don't show "glamour" images to client who has a Mom and Child project). (Don't show Mom and Child images to a client who wants glamour).

"Photographer Portfolios"...20 of the best images you have that show samples of the project you're asked to shoot. (Don't show your model portfolio to an architecture firm). (Don't show architecture to a client who wants you to shoot the cover of "Cosmopolitan").

Basically, they say to have many portfolios for the type of client who wants to hire you. (The Botanical Society doesn't care if you can create a stunning photo of a Mustang GT).

It's what I've read and been told.

Makes sense.

I'm sure "Visual" is right about having horizontals in with verticles but, I just don't know the ratio to go by. "Visual" is probably right.

Mike

Jul 02 05 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

"I'm sure "Visual" is right about having horizontals in with verticles but, I just don't know the ratio to go by. "Visual" is probably right."

Not really.  It creates too much work for the viewer to flip the book...and it takes their focus away.  Landscape type photos are best double-trucked across two pages for most effective viewing.

Mike, you are absolutely correct in tailoring the presentation to the client, and / or shoot requirement.   

Jul 02 05 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by area291: 
"I'm sure "Visual" is right about having horizontals in with verticles but, I just don't know the ratio to go by. "Visual" is probably right."

Not really.  It creates too much work for the viewer to flip the book...and it takes their focus away.  Landscape type photos are best double-trucked across two pages for most effective viewing.

Mike, you are absolutely correct in tailoring the presentation to the client, and / or shoot requirement.   

In my land based doggy portfolio,  I have a separate horizontal shot.  but sometimes I print a double page spread as a horizontal, same as mags.

Jul 02 05 09:19 pm Link