Forums > Photography Talk > Who does your print work?

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

I was curious as to who uses who to do your print work?

I do most of mine online with Mpix Prices are good and product is good never tried to print nudes with them though.

Jun 30 05 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

I go to a loca repo-studio. They print on linen, high glossy and everything imaginable. Even extreme oversize for a reasonable price.

They're fast too. Never tried online though...

Jun 30 05 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

i used to print everything myself (black and white) but when i don't, i use a custom printer named David Wang on lexington avenue here in nyc.  that's for regular gelatin and platinum prints.

i print a lot of my work with an epson 2200 inkjet printer using rag paper for the black and white work. i'm playing around with different paper for color. not totally in love with anything yet. my custom color guy left ny because the market was dying so i've been printing all of my color work on the epson. everyone loves it and the inks have a longer archival life than many color photo papers.

Jun 30 05 08:05 am Link

Photographer

cosfrog

San Diego, California, US

I use a local pro lab here in San Diego. I get great prices for my bulk sports work, wide variety of paper and sizes, and they now have an online feature to send the work in so I only have to make one trip now to pick up.

Jun 30 05 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Ed Nazarko

Lebanon, New Jersey, US

I do on an Epson 4000.

When I give disks to models, I always offer that if they want to get reprints, please call me and I'll profile the image for them with profiles from Dry Creek.  (So far, most have said they get prints at WalMart, which is the same print equip as anyplace else...and Dry Creek has profiles for all the Fuji Frontiers at Wal Mart.)  After all the work I put into minute color tweaks, I'd HATE to see images done badly.

Jun 30 05 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I use michiganphoto.com.  AFAIK, they have no problems printing nudes.  I use them for 8x10's and larger.

Paul

Jun 30 05 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Sid Ceaser

Nashua, New Hampshire, US

self-printing with an Epson 4000 and an Epson 7600 for color.  Slowing researching b&w with inkjets.  Otherwise, I do Albumen printing for b&W.

Jun 30 05 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

cosfrog

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Ed Nazarko: 
(So far, most have said they get prints at WalMart, which is the same print equip as anyplace else...and Dry Creek has profiles for all the Fuji Frontiers at Wal Mart.)  After all the work I put into minute color tweaks, I'd HATE to see images done badly.

Ed, while Walmart (and the likes) may have the same equipment I do not believe you will get the same prints. I used costco for awhile (Frontier machines) but was never happy with the results and different day and differnet results as well. I profiled and everything but if you do not have trained operators (Saw one of the techs doing shopping cart duty once) then....I now go to a pro lab, and while they use the same machine they also are are the same operators day in and day out. They also check the chemicals twice a day and calibrate daily. Never had a problem since I switch.

When I give a model a file (which is rare) for printing I get their assurance that they will use the same lab. Most times I provide the prints for the same reason you state, I want the prints out there of my work to be the best they can be.

Jun 30 05 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

It depends what I'm printing. Everyday reprints and proofs for models, PhotoTrends at Pearlridge. The owner used to be with a company called Disk Maker in downtown Honolulu. When she opened her own business, a bunch of us that worked well with her followed. Strictly minilab type stuff, but I try to give her as much of my business as I can.

Large prints, usually Hawaii Digital.

Specialty prints, like linen, usually Hawaii Pacific Photo.

Large printing jobs, I have a contact in Indonesia. Mostly for calendars or posters.

Cibachromes and large specialty prints, I have a contact in Montreal, BC, Canada.

Jun 30 05 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Get to know the guy at your local Frontier lab. (or girl)  Find out when they work.  It's a pain but the small places (some wal marts, some Ritz, etc) can take extra time for you because you take extra time with them.  It is a trade of your time instead of your money.

(there is an obvious limit to the quality you can squeeze out of these places)

Jul 17 05 03:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I get my 9x12s at www.adorama.com

Jul 17 05 03:57 am Link

Photographer

PhotographerMV

Norwood, Colorado, US

get yourself either an Epson 1800 or 2400 or a Cannon i9900 both (3) are 13" wide carrages. learn how to .icc profile the hardware (international color consortium), youll produce exactly what you expect, youll only need to send out work that needs a lot of copies produced.

The epson is better ink/paperwise but the cannon has a better print engine. they both print incredibly accurate. i use ilford light pearl pretty exclusively for people and gloss epson for auto's and other shiny items.

a note to anyone who 'profiles' before the lab gets the image file may be stating what there doing improperly. it goes like this;
your equipment is all calibrated and you adjust the image accordingly, then you send that out, (printlab) or to your own printer. the imaging software you are using along with the print engine (software) can adjust the image per the .icc profile relative to that specific piece of hardware and ink/paper combination that you allready went through the motions of calibrating (providing you have done it properly). the outsourced lab itself impliments its own calibration per the paper specs its printing (developing).

Jul 17 05 04:08 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

90% in-house(traditional & digital prints), the other 10% fiber base printing done by a small lab in Detroit.

Jul 17 05 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Rick Blaine

Centerville, Ohio, US

I use WHCC.com (White House Custom Color). Great work, quickly.
They give concise and explicit instructions for their workflow requirements. Never had a problem. They even do free test prints to make sure your output is what you need.

Jul 17 05 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I print all my personel stuff myself which allows me to give additional prints to the crew.

Jul 17 05 09:04 pm Link

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

since im a graphic designer....i do my own printing and im pretty much all digital, i print my large stuff on my Epson 1280 and my smaller stuff on my Epson C60 and my Epson 1280 does up to 13 x 19 and 13 x 44 panaramas...but if it were to be larger i would send it off to a printer with a larger/wider format printer. smile

Jul 17 05 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Lone Shepherd

Purcellville, Virginia, US

I also use WHCC (White House Custom Color) for my prints.  I'm a new client there but so far have been very happy.

They cater to pros, have excellent customer service, and have a variety of paper and finish options.

Jul 17 05 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

DumDum Productions

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I did all my old b/w stuff myself, but I sometimes used La Baak studios in Grand Rapids, MI. They always did a stellar job and had very reasonable rates.

For digital, I just got a new Canon Pixma and I'm really amazed at the quality. I used to use an Epson Stylus Photo that cost much more and didn't do half the job the Canon does.

Jul 18 05 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

For prints designated for show or sale: Custom lab in NY using a  Durst Epsilon - www.stuartphotoservice.com

For herky jerky stuff....mpix.com

Jul 19 05 07:09 am Link