Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Hair to take care of hair that breaks easily...?

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

My hair seems to break extremely easily. For example, I can break off the very bottoms using merely my fingernail. That isn't healthy, is it? If not, how can I take care of the problem without spending $50 a month on shampoo and conditioner?

Mar 22 06 02:10 am Link

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

I meant how to take care of ... Sorry.

Mar 22 06 02:11 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Well, I'm no hairstylist, but I've known enough hairstylists and been around the "friend-hair of the punkrock scene" long enough to know a few things.

First, don't use a blowdrier or straightening iron or any kind of heat on your hair. That dries it out and makes it break more.

Next, don't dye or bleach your hair until the brittle stuff grows out. Strong chemicals like bleaching can damage the hair too.

Finally, try getting some leave-in conditioner or something to moisturize it.

Again, some real hairstylists will hopefully have better-educated advice. But from what I know, I think those might be steps in the right direction.

Look here too:
http://library.thinkquest.org/C0120888/ … 20with.htm

Mar 22 06 02:33 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

well using a heat protecting spray on your hair can help if you are addicted to the blow dryer or flat iron. you can also use a leaving or deep conditioner. get a trim you might just need one. and like the abouve post avoid chemically chaning your hair, via dys or perms or straighteners. Also love you have dont brush it when its wet use a wide toothed comb, take care of it use good products, not drug store ones.
if you love your hair it will love you back...Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Mar 22 06 10:21 am Link

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

Carmilla wrote:
My hair seems to break extremely easily. For example, I can break off the very bottoms using merely my fingernail. That isn't healthy, is it? If not, how can I take care of the problem without spending $50 a month on shampoo and conditioner?

Carmilla, you can use all the conditioning products in the world, but the truth of the matter is, split ends will never "heal". get a good haircut. hair is just a group of dead cells. they will never regenerate. conditioning treatments/products will only temporarily "glue" the ends toghether, or make the hair FEEL better. they will never "heal" the split ends.

split ends are like cracked glass. they will crack up, and up the hair shaft, so the best thing to do is to trim it off before you start getting little breakage pieces that stick straight up (imagine those little flyaways... but 10 times as many!)

and like the others said, heat, chemicals, salt water, clorine all contibute to damage, and if your hair is long, the ends are probably a couple years old. which means they have been through a couple dry winters, and couple years of hard water, a couple years of blowdrying/flat ironing, etc...

it is hard to tell someone to NEVER blowdry thier hair and think it's actually going to happen, so i say DO blowdry your hair but with a good THERMAL product!! go to your stylist and ask what thermal products she would reccomend for your hair type.

Mar 23 06 05:21 pm Link

Model

MarleneM aka Mimi

Jamaica, New York, US

Regular hair cuts!

Mar 23 06 06:51 pm Link

Model

Gone Baby Gone

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've blow dried once in the past year and my fine, fragile hair is all the better for it.

Also, I swear by coconut oil. Just use a few drops of virgin coconut oil on the ends of your wet hair. You may also want to experiment with massaging it in and leaving it overnight as a deep condish once or twice a week. My hair absolutely loves it.

Mar 26 06 11:46 am Link

Hair Stylist

Olivier

I agree with the above posts but one thing i do have to say is you are wanting to become a model and not willing to spend money on your appearance? Spending a few bucks to use good products on your hair and skin could make a huge difference on your look and your look is what people will use to select you for a job or not in this industry. Good luck with everything!

Mar 27 06 08:11 pm Link

Model

Gone Baby Gone

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

'Tis true, modeling sometimes requires investments.

However, if you can achieve equal or better results with a less expensive solution, you can spend the money you saved on a nice manicure or a new barette. Or food.

Additionally, there are expensive products out there that may do more harm than good ultimatey, so it's understandable to want to know all you can about a product before you spend a mortgage payment on it.

Mar 30 06 07:17 pm Link