Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Cosmetic Sponsorships

Makeup Artist

AE ARTIST

Los Angeles, California, US

Since this is my first posting in the stylist forum I thought I would make it something I am truly curious about..... I am the head artist for a new TV show and was approached from our exec. producer to look into sponsorship and product placement. Has anyone here ever had to deal with this?
I contacted two of my fav. cosmetic lines and was responded with questions. I replied and am waiting for status...included show info, cast info, my resume,etc. and a wish list as requested.

Thanks to all of you who respond, look forward to your input smile

Mar 22 06 06:50 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

I have no experience with this at all, but I would venture to say that the manufacturer would want assurances as to the talent involved, distribution, and the nature of the show before they would want their name associated with it. I would have as much information at my fingertips before calling companies to get sponsorship.

Mar 22 06 07:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

If there is a big name involved, you'll have no trouble at all getting lines to send you gratis.  Just contact the PR person for the lines you're interested in and tell them a little bit about yourself (like if you've been nominated or won any oscars or emmys, which celebs you work with, shows you've worked on) and the show (who is involved, when it airs, which network, a little bit about the show, your audience, etc) and they'll either say great (most do) or no thanks.

Ashley

Mar 22 06 09:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

AE ARTIST

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:
If there is a big name involved, you'll have no trouble at all getting lines to send you gratis.  Just contact the PR person for the lines you're interested in and tell them a little bit about yourself (like if you've been nominated or won any oscars or emmys, which celebs you work with, shows you've worked on) and the show (who is involved, when it airs, which network, a little bit about the show, your audience, etc) and they'll either say great (most do) or no thanks.

Ashley

Thanks Ashley! I emailed one back and let them know all the details as well as gave her my resume and info on me. I will know by tomorrow!

Mar 22 06 10:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

its just a matter of developing a good report with the PR people at the cosmetic lines. I have recieved gratis goods just from sending my resume and call sheets. most of them will probably want a crew list, but it seems that they are pretty anxious to get their products out there.

Mar 25 06 11:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

AE ARTIST

rachelrose wrote:
its just a matter of developing a good report with the PR people at the cosmetic lines. I have recieved gratis goods just from sending my resume and call sheets. most of them will probably want a crew list, but it seems that they are pretty anxious to get their products out there.

Two companies I emailed responded back, they will both give me product placement smile. I already get a discount from Laura Mercier but they are giving me product as well.

Mar 27 06 07:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Congrats Ellen- on the show and the sponsorship- your work is beautiful and you deserve it!

Mar 27 06 08:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Ellen wrote:

Two companies I emailed responded back, they will both give me product placement smile. I already get a discount from Laura Mercier but they are giving me product as well.

the pr lady at laura mercier is a total sweetheart.

Mar 28 06 01:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

AE ARTIST

Thank you Jessica!

Everyone I have talked to from my fav. cosmetic companies PR are sweethearts!

Mar 29 06 08:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ivy Lam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

rachelrose wrote:

what are call sheets? wow you guys are amazing! Please tell me more about how to get gratis. I still buy my supplies with no real discounts.

sad

Mar 29 06 10:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ivy Lam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ellen wrote:
Since this is my first posting in the stylist forum I thought I would make it something I am truly curious about..... I am the head artist for a new TV show and was approached from our exec. producer to look into sponsorship and product placement. Has anyone here ever had to deal with this?
I contacted two of my fav. cosmetic lines and was responded with questions. I replied and am waiting for status...included show info, cast info, my resume,etc. and a wish list as requested.

congrats!

Mar 29 06 10:32 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Ellen wrote:

Sponsorship is different than product placement.

For both money should be exchanged.

A sponsorship is when a cosmetic company contracts an artist to use their products (or credit them... ie Ellen/ L'Oreal) this artist will be paid by the cosmetic company usually on a per credit basis, price varies on magazine or the contract set forth for a flat rate. Noah from L'Oreal gets about $1,800 from L'Oreal per credit. While others may only get a few hundred dollars that varies. Free products of course are given.

Product placement is when a cosmetic company pays the production company (or pays the middle man who takes his/her cut then pays the production company) for the artist to use their products in exchange for credit... or product endorsement... or products exposed on a show, in a film... etc. Products as well are supplied for the artist's usage.

It's a whole lot more complex than what I'm reading here. If those cosmetic companies don't have to pay to be credited... that's great for them. But bad business. But great for you to learn and get relationships going. The producer will be very nice to allow you to do this, as there really is no reason to not collect money from any outside sources.

I do want to say congrats on the job. And congrats for the opportunity to start negotiating with cosmetic companies. Sponsorships and playing a hand in product placement and endorsements can be very lucrative business accomplishments. Sometimes you can make more money from outside sources than the job itself. Good luck.

Apr 01 06 12:30 am Link