Forums > General Industry > Photographers Should Mention What They Do.

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Not sure exactly where to post this!

Photographers should really mention on their site if they do TFP/TFCD/TESTING/PAY MODELS/ONLY DO PAID WORK. If you ONLY do TFP say you ONLY do TFP. If you PAY MODELS please say you pay models and blah blah.

I want to contact photographers but embarrased to ask them for paid work when they don't mention what they do on their site. So, I could be asking a photographers for paid work who may only do TFP so I would feel embarrased asking and getting shot down.

But like us models all of our sites say we only do TFP, Paid assignments only, depends on assignment. So, if you photographers can mention this on your site that would be A LOT of help.

Jun 30 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Great idea for a thread but I try to leave it open.

So many reasons,  life changes,  sched changes,  people cancel, jobs cancel,  people get sick,  people flip, 

So if I write I never,  I would be lying.  I find the wise models do the same.

Jun 30 05 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

TFP&Comercial

Jun 30 05 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm not sure I understand.

Are you saying that you don't know if you should ask a photographer if they'll ACCEPT PAY FROM YOU to shoot you?

Or are you saying that you don't know if your should OFFER YOUR SERVICES FOR COMPENSATION to a photographer?

I'm sure it's just me being dense :-)

Jun 30 05 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by CO Model Amber: 

Photographers should really mention on their site if they do TFP/TFCD/TESTING/PAY MODELS/ONLY DO PAID WORK. If you ONLY do TFP say you ONLY do TFP. If you PAY MODELS please say you pay models and blah blah.

I want to contact photographers but embarrased to ask them for paid work when they don't mention what they do on their site. So, I could be asking a photographers for paid work who may only do TFP so I would feel embarrased asking and getting shot down.

But like us models all of our sites say we only do TFP, Paid assignments only, depends on assignment. So, if you photographers can mention this on your site that would be A LOT of help.

If the site does not say just ask "do you have any paying work at the moment".

Mike

Jun 30 05 10:59 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Posted by Chris Ambler: 

Are you saying that you don't know if you should ask a photographer if they'll ACCEPT PAY FROM YOU to shoot you?

Or are you saying that you don't know if your should OFFER YOUR SERVICES FOR COMPENSATION to a photographer?

I mean "If they pay models"

Jun 30 05 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

If the shots in your portfolio are worse than the photog's port, don't be silly by asking to be paid. Pretty simple.

Jun 30 05 11:01 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

If the site does not say just ask "do you have any paying work at the moment".

Mike

Thanks! I'll keep that line in mind when contacting photographers. :Smile:

Jun 30 05 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Chris Ambler: 

Don't you get it Chris... You as the photographer are supposed to pay the model as well as let them use all the images how ever they want even if it means them reselling...  Geeeesh how old fashioned can you be. ;-)

Mike

Jun 30 05 11:02 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

If the shots in your portfolio are worse than the photog's port, don't be silly by asking to be paid. Pretty simple.

I'll keep that mind! :Smile:

Jun 30 05 11:03 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Posted by Chris Ambler: 

Don't you get it Chris... You as the photographer are supposed to pay the model as well as let them use all the images how ever they want even if it means them reselling...  Geeeesh how old fashioned can you be. ;-)

Mike

I know where you're going with that. You don't think models should get paid by photographers. But, believe it or not photographers do pay models rather they be professional or amateur.

Jun 30 05 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Hey Amber;

I would say it's relatively simple... if you approach a photographer... expect that YOU should pay him!

Don't approach him/her and say "you can shoot me if you pay me."

Personally... I think that this bad form, others may disagree.

However, if a photographer approaches YOU, either he offers you to pay or shoot TFP and you can decide if you like his work and think it's beneficial for your own portfolio.

Jun 30 05 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Ascending Phoenix

Lexington, Kentucky, US

I dont,to me this is an old thread.Meaning there have been enough threads about

"" CLIENTS PAY MODELS NOT PHOTOGRAPHERS "

Unless of course its a GWC that cant get anyone to work with them

That said.I recommend possibly listing yourself as being AVAILABLE FOR HIRE..here or any other multitude of sites.Another source is the Craiglist

http://www.craigslist.org/about/cities.html

Know models/spokes models that get a fair amount of work through reading WHO IS HIRING there.Its based on locations,Hope the link is of some help to you.

Jun 30 05 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Udo R Photography: 
Hey Amber;

I would say it's relatively simple... if you approach a photographer... expect that YOU should pay him!

However, if a photographer approaches YOU, either he offers you to pay or shoot TFP and you can decide if you like his work and think it's beneficial for your own portfolio.

Bingo. Agreed 100%.

Amber, I don't see anything wrong with approaching a photographer and asking him/her if they know of any paid gigs. The photographer might have a client that needs something for which you're suited.

We're all professionals. We all expect to be paid for our time and talent. Typically the approacher offers compensation, be it prints, cash, or what-have-you. But approaching a photographer and then asking him/her to pay you is, indeed, very bad form.

Just like I would never approach a model, tell her that I love her look, and then ask her to pay me to shoot her.

Jun 30 05 11:09 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Hey Amber;

Oh I'm not gonna be like that. Coming straight out and saying "hey pay me and I will work with you" is a bit unprofessional.

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Say again sam,

Never say never,

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Oh I'm not gonna be like that. Coming straight out and saying "hey pay me and I will work with you" is a bit unprofessional.

No,  I disagree,  giving it to me straight is more professional or serious.

Jun 30 05 11:10 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

I disagree. I've let photographers know that I like their work or would like to work with them - how else do they know I'm available. [It works the other way to, there are thousands of photographers on just this site. I try browsing a few a day, but I may never see each one unless they comment, tag or send me an email.]

If their profile states they sometimes book models or have paying work for models, all the more reason for the model to hope for pay.

I agree. smile

Jun 30 05 11:13 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Okay back to the post topic please lol.

Jun 30 05 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Plastercasting

Wichita, Kansas, US

I guess I am easy to figure out....I pay all models I work with.  Models and/or individuals will contact me about specific sculptures they want done and if they want something done for them, its pretty obvious they are paying for it.  If only life was as simple as all of this!

Jun 30 05 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

What is off topic?

Most often I tell people that they are brain dead to think I will even shoot for free but I do do free shoot.  I do do paid shoot for me.  I do do think about shoots where I pay the model from my own pocket.  Unusual for sure,  but why cancel everything because it is different from what I do do.

Jun 30 05 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

I work for money, tearsheets, exposure, clothing sponsorship and weed, lol.

Oh, and if the model is hot, I might just shoot her for free.  If she's nice to me that is.  hehe

smile

Jun 30 05 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

I know where you're going with that. You don't think models should get paid by photographers. But, believe it or not photographers do pay models rather they be professional or amateur.

I believe that some photographers pay for models and I believe some models pay for photographers, BUT I know that a model that contacts a photographer asking for pay will most likely be the same model that wants a few extras like "shared copyright".

Notice I did not mention you, but was replying to a sarcastic post by another photographer.

Mike

Jun 30 05 11:28 pm Link

Model

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
I work for money, tearsheets, exposure, clothing sponsorship and weed, lol.

Oh, and if the model is hot, I might just shoot her for free.  If she's nice to me that is.  hehe

smile

lol

And CO Model Amber, my post was right on topic... and it seems to be the consensus. For example, Chris Ambler's post... (I was just typing my reply when Chris Ambler's posted).

Jun 30 05 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Mike Cummings: 
Notice I did not mention you, but was replying to a sarcastic post by another photographer.

Mike

On this board? Sarcasm? No way...

OK people...stay on topic!

Jun 30 05 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Ascending Phoenix: 

That is not always true. If I think I have a marketable image I would pay a model. ie if I am going to submit it to someone like Domai.com BUT if I am paying for it you will not use the image.

Mike

Jun 30 05 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

That is not always true.

No... it's always true.  lol

Jun 30 05 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Star

How would you feel if photographers contacted you asking for pay?

Jun 30 05 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

That is not always true.

No... it's always true.  lol

Man you are cheaper than I am...

Mike

Jun 30 05 11:40 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I agree with Udo.

Unless someone has posted an ad of some sort stating they are seeking to hire, it's very bad form to email them and ask for money.

I almost killed the last person that did that to me.

Jun 30 05 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Ascending Phoenix

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

That is not always true. If I think I have a marketable image I would pay a model. ie if I am going to submit it to someone like Domai.com BUT if I am paying for it you will not use the image.

Mike

And all this time I thought no one ever read what I write in these threads..

Bartender...get me a Long Island Ice tea

Mike Cummings is buying..LOL

Jun 30 05 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Hells yeah!  I'm pretty cheap, lol.

Jun 30 05 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Wait,  I need to poop.

This thread is coming from someone who posted four searches for photographer seeking to work with her is CO and NO one replied.

Give the dog a bone.  Shit she is just pissed off.

Jun 30 05 11:48 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Posted by Star: 

If his/her rates are reasonable like my own rates and their work is really good and can do something for my portfolio and I have money at the time I wouldn't mind paying a photographer. But, I havent had to pay anyone at the moment. I started with TFCD shoots and got PLENTY of those and now I ask for paid work and I'm getting paid shoots.

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Mike

You make it down and I will buy you one. Bring models.

Mike

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Hells yeah!  I'm pretty cheap, lol.

We know you are cheap,  we see your images.  Duh..

Jun 30 05 11:49 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
Wait,  I need to poop.

This thread is coming from someone who posted four searches for photographer seeking to work with her is CO and NO one replied.

Give the dog a bone.  Shit she is just pissed off.

Actually there's a thing called "sending the person a message personally" Please do not be rude.

Jun 30 05 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
We know you are cheap,  we see your images.  Duh..

Wow, a doggie with jokes.  You deserve a doggie treat, you son of a bitch.  lol

Jun 30 05 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Star: 

If his/her rates are reasonable like my own rates and their work is really good and can do something for my portfolio and I have money at the time I wouldn't mind paying a photographer. But, I havent had to pay anyone at the moment. I started with TFCD shoots and got PLENTY of those and now I ask for paid work and I'm getting paid shoots.

Are you getting those paid shoots by contacting the photographers or by them contacting you?

Mike

Photographer

Ascending Phoenix

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Mike

You make it down and I will buy you one. Bring models.

Mike

Im in Atlanta now .leave for Kentucky tomorrow.Think anyone flip if I make a  U TURN in  Arizona ??