Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Allergic Reaction!!

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

Ok as a MUA I know that there are certain things that people are allergic to.  I'm so anal about being clean that I have to sets of brushes in case I have more than 1 model to do.  I always make a priority to ask people what they are allergic to and tell them the products that I use.  Everything that I have (such as moisturizer, toner etc) is for sensitive skin.  I have a makeup trial with a bride and she is allergic to MAC foundation and has very sensitive skin.  MAC is all I have so I was wondering if there is anything else that I can use that she or anyone else will NOT have an allergic reaction to.

Also, what if I were to use something that she didnt know she was allergic to and she breaks out?  Is that my fault?  I just like to be cautious and prevent things before they happen.

Thank you all  smile

Mar 27 06 09:38 am Link

Model

shimmer

Arlington, Texas, US

If she didn't know she was allergic to anything adn you don't know, it can't be your fault, though you can probably recommend to her that she (should this ever happen) see her doctor and check into perhaps getting some sort of treatment.

Or she can pop a benadryl or six. *shrug*

Mar 27 06 09:44 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

actually, a lot of people have reactions to mac and theres not really a way around it. you might want to invest in some foundations as another option. Laura Mercier is a bit pricey, but their oil free foundations are great for everybody and have excellent wear. they run about $40 a piece, but they are fantastic. I haveabout 8 different options available for my clients:

laura mercier tinted moisturizer (the ultimate and best)
laura mercier oil free foundation (another super one)
smashbox conversions (Great for photography)
smasbox studio seamless (was given to me during fashion week and seems to work well)
Mac face and body (good all around, I use it when I have to do extras or a lot of people)
Mac Select spf (Which I rarely use because it flakes sooo bad)
Stila Complete Coverage (I rarely use this one as well, because it moves too much on the face)
MUD foundation pallettes (I rarely rarely use these, ususally on dark skin, becuase the color stays pretty true)

I have used the RCMA palettes before and I like them too.

Mar 27 06 10:43 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

So you only have one kind of foundation hmmmm the thing is its good to have a couple different brands and kinds of foundations, I would ask your bride what kind of foundation she uses. My sister is super sesitive to make-up and she use the Almay brand it has a couple of different kinds of base foundations and she hasnt had a problem with it. I works well for her, I have dealt with many people who have allergic reations to things that I would never thought they would have an recation to like Aloe , Camimile, even Vit E. So you really can never know if some one will have a reaction. I would definatly ask the bride what product she has used before, even if its a drug store product, as a professional you should be able to make it work. I know my skin and I use the Loreal Color Match, its light weight ,covers well and is one of the few brands that can match my alabaster skin.
I personally dont like to buy one product specifically for a bride, depending on how much you charge you can either add it to the total of your fee or just give it to her. Or if you want to save a buck, return it most big stores will let you return the "used" product withing a certin amount of days. I am not a big fan of this but I have done it when perchasing foundations for my self, whats the point of keeping something that you cant use, they have those retun policys for this reason so why not use it. smile
Hope that helps...Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Mar 27 06 12:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Naomi

New York, New York, US

I use Clinique on sensitive skin or Make-Up Forever.
I heard MAC uses some minerals people are allergic too.
Maybe she tused Accutane or retinol  in her life or something.
That tends to make skin very sensitive.

Mar 27 06 01:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

UkMakeupArtist

Liverpool, Illinois, US

bobbi brown moisture rich is brilliant on sensitive skin. It has great wear and brilliant colour choice.  For brides thats my first choice, if they want something with a little more coverage I use RCMA mixed with a little revlon skin lights, looks amazing on their wedding pictures!

Lucy x

Mar 28 06 03:28 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beautiful By Default

Brooklyn, New York, US

I had this  one model completely break out in hives once..since then I wisened up and bought and entire seperate case for people with sensitive skin. I use the almay foundations(oil free and don't clog pores) as well as neutragena foudnations for girls with acne prone skin (Such as myself) from the moisturizer all the way down to the eyeshadow it has to be oil free and made for senstive skin. Sure it's a bit of an investment but in the end it will be worth it.

I also set up my case by heavy full coverage (mac), sheer coverage (revlon-diffuse tints/loreal-true match foundation),senstive skin (almay), and acne prone (neutragena)...yes I'm anal! smile

Mar 28 06 05:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

Ok so I bought the color match just for her skin tone and tried it.  I also used Origins Cleanser, Toner and Moisturizer that is for sensitive skin.  Origins makes their stuff from Aloe and all those natural things.

She still had an allergic reaction!!  I dont know what to do!  She doesnt know what she is allergic to and I feel like the bad guy here.  So now I'm waiting to see if she's going to hire me cos this is NOT good.  *sigh*

She says that she breaks out for any little thing.  But I still feel like crap that I made a client break out.

HELP!

Mar 28 06 09:08 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

there is no such thing as being allergic to a particular brand of makeup.  People can be allergic to one or more of the  ingrediants found in makeup..

When someone tells you they are allergic to something like MAC you have to ask them what is it they are allergic to because if they have had a reaction to MAC foundation, chances are they will have the same reaction to most foundations.  Most foundations have the same ingrediants with a variation of a few things. 

I refuse to take on clients that tell me they have allergies to makeup but do not know what the ingrediant is that they are allergic to....If they have never tried a makeup that they can wear comfortably, chances are it doesnt exsist.

When someone tells me they have found a makeup they can wear, I will use theirs....people with allergies normally carry their own makeup to photoshoots.  I wouldnt bother with this allergy issue, its too complicated.

Mar 28 06 09:31 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Yisell wrote:
Ok so I bought the color match just for her skin tone and tried it.  I also used Origins Cleanser, Toner and Moisturizer that is for sensitive skin.  Origins makes their stuff from Aloe and all those natural things.

She still had an allergic reaction!!  I dont know what to do!  She doesnt know what she is allergic to and I feel like the bad guy here.  So now I'm waiting to see if she's going to hire me cos this is NOT good.  *sigh*

She says that she breaks out for any little thing.  But I still feel like crap that I made a client break out.

HELP!

She might be allergic to ALOE my best friend is so allergic that she cant even touch an aloe plant. just because something is natural doesnt mean they cant have an allergy to it.

Mar 28 06 04:20 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

A LOT of people are allergic to various metals.  This won't be an issue with foundation, but I know MAC's metallic eyeliners are similar to the sensation of rubbing my eyes with sand paper and marinating in lemon.  In my case, it's nickel that kills me.  I know other people that can't use anything with cobalt.

Mar 28 06 04:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

UkMakeupArtist

Liverpool, Illinois, US

Mary wrote:
When someone tells me they have found a makeup they can wear, I will use theirs....people with allergies normally carry their own makeup to photoshoots.  I wouldnt bother with this allergy issue, its too complicated.

I had a model a few months ago for an ad campaign that had hugey sensitive skin.  She couldnt wear any foundation really the only thing she had found that she could wear comfortably was Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser.  She was so used to breaking out, she carried her own with her on every job.  I have to say, she is a grat advert for them! I went out and bought their main shades after using it because its just so lovely!

Lucy x

Mar 29 06 05:33 am Link

Model

Miss Christina

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

I have really sensitive skin and dry too. Funny cos MAC Moistureblend works well for me (never tried it in photos though), I tried so many foundations but most of them were too dry.
I used to wear Kanebo, it was sooo good for my skin and then they changed the colours and formula and wham---allergy reaction for me sad
I would suggest your bride brings her own stuff, or maybe she doesn't even wear makeup normal days?

I agree that natural is not always best, it can be the other way around when you have sensitive skin!

Mar 29 06 12:32 pm Link