Forums > Photography Talk > A Fun Challenge!

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ok Call me crazy, but here is this idea I have for a nice photographer's challenge here on MM.

Call it "The John Waters Fashion Invitational". It's something I thought up of while reading the responses to my previous forum post "Guilty Pleasures" - https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=71 and is loosely based on the Krappy Kamera competition held each year by the Soho Photographic Gallery in NYC.

The idea? Using a oddball camera (and just because a camera uses film it isn't an oddball folks - Blad's aren't guilty pleasures lol) shoot some fashion. Let's see how good you can be without all the technical advances on today's modern DSLRs and the ilk.

Let's see some Holgas, Pinhole Cameras, 110 cameras, Minox, and other just plain crazy cameras out there and lets see what you can do! As far as digital - sorry guys, get 19 bucks and buy a Holga to play with us!

As far as the designs? Try to find a designer friend to make garments for you of the most base materials, hang out in thrift stores, use saran wrap whatever - be as crazy or as couture as you like. Post the results in your portfolio and we'll all comment smile

Any takers?

Apr 17 05 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Scott Johnson Studios

Wausau, Wisconsin, US

You know Sandy you can get some pretty decent images from the disposable cameras. The Earth, moon and all the stars have to be in alignment, but you CAN do it.

Apr 17 05 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Cool - Give it a shot Scott!

Apr 17 05 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Great idea. I can't wait to see what people come up with. I'm game. I have an Imperial Mark XII and a Holga 120s.

But there are a lot of people that shoot with beefed up Holgas. You can hook up studio flash heads, shutter release cords, add fstop capability, etc.
http://www.holgamods.com/
So it starts to become a "real" camera at that point. 

Apr 17 05 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Yeah I've been to tyhe Holga Mod site (hell I've even seen an adapter that lets you attach the 16MP back for the blad). Looking forward to see what you shoot man smile

Apr 17 05 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Kevin, you going to shoot the imperial as well?

Apr 17 05 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Rik Bowman

Taos, New Mexico, US

I've seen a few of the "Franken Holgas" and I think there are cool as crap.

The Fisheye Camera I kinda dig too.

I'm game on this, is there a set deadline to submit?

R

Posted by Kevin Palmer: 
Great idea. I can't wait to see what people come up with. I'm game. I have an Imperial Mark XII and a Holga 120s.

But there are a lot of people that shoot with beefed up Holgas. You can hook up studio flash heads, shutter release cords, add fstop capability, etc.
http://www.holgamods.com/
So it starts to become a "real" camera at that point.   

Apr 17 05 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Yeah, I'll shoot the Imperial as well. I haven't tried it yet. I need to look up how to transfer 120 onto a 620 spool. Actually, I need to get a 620 spool first. LOL

Apr 17 05 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

actually some 620's will fit a 120 roll - I know a lot of the 620 kodaks will

Apr 17 05 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

I tried it. sad  If I shaved the roll down it would probably work. They were pretty close. But I bet the camera shop down the street has some for nothing. I'll get a handful of them.

Apr 17 05 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Cool Kevin., Respooling isn't very hard, just unroll and reroll back onto the 620 spool.

Apr 17 05 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Posted by Scott Johnson: 
You know Sandy you can get some pretty decent images from the disposable cameras. The Earth, moon and all the stars have to be in alignment, but you CAN do it.

The Dollar Tree near my house has some disposables for well... a dollar. I don't know?? I think I'd rather have a hired hand shoot with that while I shoot with my 20D. I'd still take credit for the shots though ; )

Apr 17 05 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Orlando Perez

Anaheim, California, US

Hey everyone.

I'm game for this too, but I have a Canon A2 and a Mamiya 645AFD (film).  I wonder if I qualify for this cool idea.

I'd love to see the outcome of some of the few that still uses film.

OP

Apr 17 05 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Orlando, you need some kind of "junky" camera. Like a Holga, pinhole, brownie or some kind of unique camera. This is going to be fun! 

Sandy, should we send our completed images to you? Then you could create a new user account and post them all in one gallery. Of course giving credit to each photog and linking to their main pages. Also, what is the timeframe on this?

Apr 17 05 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Posted by Orlando Perez: 
Hey everyone.

I'm game for this too, but I have a Canon A2 and a Mamiya 645AFD (film).  I wonder if I qualify for this cool idea.

I'd love to see the outcome of some of the few that still uses film.

OP

Sorry OP the A2 and the Mamiya are far too good for this. Buy a disposable camera or a Holga and come play!

Apr 17 05 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Posted by Timothy Hughes: 

Posted by Scott Johnson: 

The Dollar Tree near my house has some disposables for well... a dollar. I don't know?? I think I'd rather have a hired hand shoot with that while I shoot with my 20D. I'd still take credit for the shots though ; )

lol Tim! Go on do like those old Burger King commercials and shoot the disposable yourself! If it makes you feel better paint it black and stick a Canon logo on it lol!

Apr 17 05 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Posted by Kevin Palmer: 
Sandy, should we send our completed images to you? Then you could create a new user account and post them all in one gallery. Of course giving credit to each photog and linking to their main pages. Also, what is the timeframe on this?

Hmmm Well I was thinking you guys just post them in your portfolio, but if Tyler is game we can maybe get him to create a gallery for us, or I can make a page over on my site. Of course all credits go to whoever shot the images.

Apr 17 05 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

That's a good idea. Maybe Tyler can become involved and make it a "Contest" with rules and such. He could post an announcement on the front page.  Have you thought about a timeframe yet?

Apr 17 05 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Well I wasn't looking to make it a contest per say Kevin - basically an open challenge for amyone to show off what they come up with within the bounds of the idea created. As far as time frame - start shooting now! There is no real end - consider it an ongoing creative challenge from me to all of us fashion shooters

Apr 17 05 01:04 pm Link

Model

Model Mayhem

El Segundo, California, US

Sounds cool.

The best way to go about it was mentioned before.  Just start a new profile for it.  So if you want to start it Sandy.  Just name the profile the name of the comptetition and include the details in the about section.  And maybe link to this forum post for discussion.  Or people can discuss on the actual page too and comment on the photos there.  Then Ill set that profile up with some more pic slots.  And I can throw up an announcement on the home page later. 

And if you want to turn it into a contest of sorts.. I could probably setup a voting system.. but thatd have to be a little later.  Im working on getting the servers switched.  (Hopefully we get the Pic Uploader back up in a few hours).

Apr 17 05 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Thanks Tyler. I'll setup the profile after you finish the switch to the new server, and message you when it's ready.

Apr 17 05 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ok The profile has been set up. I also created a website for this. Basically everyone who submits will get their image up on the website, On MM we will rotate the images out as we get new ones old pnes will be retired.

Since we need rules here you go

OK The Rules

1. This is not a contest simply a creative challenge to see how well we can do using the simplest of tools - Oddball Cameras.

2. The subject matter is fashion. The designs can be any thing you want. If you want to shoot Versace with your pinhole camera go for it. If you want to have some designer friend create an outfit for a model out of Tyvek, burlap and Muslin, and shoot it with a Kodak Disc Camera - go for it!

3. An Oddball camera is a unique or junk camera. Only shots taken with these types of cameras will be allowed for exhibition. To all our Digital Only friends - no your Mamiya 645AF is not a junk camera, neither is a Pentax K1000 lol!

Here is a list of currently accepted cameras. Keep asking and I'll add more as needed.

Minox 8x11 cameras (riga, B, C, LX, etc)
Any 110 Camera (Including the Pentax A110 and Super A110)
The Diana
Kodak Brownie
Any Box Camera
The Holga
The Woca (a holga with a glass lens!)
Polaroid Land Camera
Polaroid Pro-Pack Camera
Any Pinhole camera or converted Pinhole Cap camera*
Olympus Pen Series including the PenF series SLR
Canon Demi Half Frames
Canon QL17
Any Disposable 35mm Film Camera
Lubitell 166 TLR
LOMO

That's it for now let's get to shooting!

There is no deadline, and outside of the requirement that these be fashion shots there are no other guidelines. Just go for it and enjoy!

* - A Converted Pinhole Cap is basically taking a body cap to a camera and drilling a hole into it and then placing a pinhole plate there. This is how one can shoot pinhole with a regular SLR. Pinhole adapters are available for many cameras and can easily be manufactured by oneself.

Many Thanks to Tyler for letting us use Model Mayhem as a way to do some really creative fun such as this.

The MM # for this 2053

Apr 18 05 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Junk Fashion

New York, New York, US

Junk Fashion is here!

Apr 18 05 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

edrickguerrero photography

Pasadena, California, US

SWEET! finally, i get to shoot my holga again!!!! yaaay!

Posted by Sandy Ramirez: 
Ok The profile has been set up. I also created a website for this. Basically everyone who submits will get their image up on the website, On MM we will rotate the images out as we get new ones old pnes will be retired.

Since we need rules here you go

OK The Rules

1. This is not a contest simply a creative challenge to see how well we can do using the simplest of tools - Oddball Cameras.

2. The subject matter is fashion. The designs can be any thing you want. If you want to shoot Versace with your pinhole camera go for it. If you want to have some designer friend create an outfit for a model out of Tyvek, burlap and Muslin, and shoot it with a Kodak Disc Camera - go for it!

3. An Oddball camera is a unique or junk camera. Only shots taken with these types of cameras will be allowed for exhibition. To all our Digital Only friends - no your Mamiya 645AF is not a junk camera, neither is a Pentax K1000 lol!

Here is a list of currently accepted cameras. Keep asking and I'll add more as needed.

Minox 8x11 cameras (riga, B, C, LX, etc)
Any 110 Camera (Including the Pentax A110 and Super A110)
The Diana
Kodak Brownie
Any Box Camera
The Holga
The Woca (a holga with a glass lens!)
Polaroid Land Camera
Polaroid Pro-Pack Camera
Any Pinhole camera or converted Pinhole Cap camera*
Olympus Pen Series including the PenF series SLR
Canon Demi Half Frames
Canon QL17
Any Disposable 35mm Film Camera
Lubitell 166 TLR
LOMO

That's it for now let's get to shooting!

There is no deadline, and outside of the requirement that these be fashion shots there are no other guidelines. Just go for it and enjoy!

* - A Converted Pinhole Cap is basically taking a body cap to a camera and drilling a hole into it and then placing a pinhole plate there. This is how one can shoot pinhole with a regular SLR. Pinhole adapters are available for many cameras and can easily be manufactured by oneself.

Many Thanks to Tyler for letting us use Model Mayhem as a way to do some really creative fun such as this.

The MM # for this 2053

Apr 18 05 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Sweet Edrick! Don't forget to check out the profile and I'm busy working on the website now!

Apr 18 05 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

I'll go for it, with a pro-back and a pinhole con I have been playing with. Whats the deadline?

Apr 18 05 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Posted by Steven LaMarco: 
I'll go for it, with a pro-back and a pinhole con I have been playing with. Whats the deadline?

Great Steve! Look over at profile 2053 - All the info is there. There is no deadline - this is basically an ongoing creative challenge.

Apr 18 05 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

I added that profile as well. Love this idea, been itching to do more stuff like this. I am trying to do so much right now, so I figure it might take me a few weeks to complete the work. Thanks.

Apr 18 05 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Posted by Steven LaMarco: 
I added that profile as well. Love this idea, been itching to do more stuff like this. I am trying to do so much right now, so I figure it might take me a few weeks to complete the work. Thanks.

Take your time steve - hell just take your pinhole with you on your next fashion shoot and shoot a quick frame or two for fun!

Apr 18 05 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

Will, do I am doing one during the school break so it will work out well. Kudos to you and Tyler for being so willing to help out. He rocks.

Apr 18 05 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Junk Fashion

New York, New York, US

Sweet!

Apr 18 05 01:55 pm Link

Model

TinajaLove

Rawlins, Wyoming, US

To bad I am so far away, you will need models for this project! Sounds interesting to me......

Apr 18 05 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Junk Fashion

New York, New York, US

Posted by TinajaLove: 
To bad I am so far away, you will need models for this project! Sounds interesting to me......

Find a photographer who want to play in your area and shoot with them smile

Apr 18 05 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I love it. I think I'm going to go for trailer park couture.

Apr 18 05 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Woot Brian! Don't forget to check out the profile for Junk Fashion for instructions on how to submit!

Apr 18 05 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Junk Fashion

New York, New York, US

Trailer park Couture is the best kind of Couture. Don't forget the Pink Flamingos!

Apr 18 05 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

That might be a little too "high class". What do you think? This is some kind of double-wide neighborhood? Single-wide on bricks because the tires rotted off, Section 8 approved and a liquor store on the corner with a "liberal" policy for the use of EBT.

;-)

Apr 18 05 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

lol Sounds about perfect Brian lol!

Apr 18 05 11:07 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

I've done pinhole work with a guy once.  It's awesome stuff.  That's major old school.  If you can do pinhole work correctly then you're one awesome photographer, IMO. smile

Venus

Apr 18 05 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Sandy Ramirez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Posted by Venus: 
I've done pinhole work with a guy once.  It's awesome stuff.  That's major old school.  If you can do pinhole work correctly then you're one awesome photographer, IMO. smile

Venus

Sounds like I have a model for my pinhole camera! Hmmmm Saran Wrap and.....

Apr 18 05 11:43 pm Link