Forums > Model Colloquy > ideal size for a plus model?

Model

Passionate Kelly

Seneca, South Carolina, US

Plus Size in da house!!! Woop Woop!!! Thick and sexy is what we are!!!!

Dec 09 08 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

Sita Mae wrote:
Read the thread, Shyrel.  Michelle and I have already given you a list of eight agencies in Southern California that rep plus girls.

i heart you Sita Mae...

i must be getting less patient in my old age...

=X

Dec 09 08 06:29 pm Link

Model

Michelle Renee

Los Angeles, California, US

Shyrel wrote:

Yeah I did write all those agencies down and did some research about them already. I was just wondering if anyone else would like to add more agencies. The more the better but while waiting I will try those ones
Thanks again smile

I am going to say that really those are it for plus. There might be an odd agency here or there who may have one or two plus models on hand "just in case", but when I say I know what is going on in the SoCal plus world, I know. I am not holding out any names, and I do not think I forgot any, lol.

There are a few in San Diego, and some in the Bay area as well, but makes the most sense to check out the L.A. agencies first.

Dec 10 08 07:31 pm Link

Model

Biana_Libertine

Brooklyn, New York, US

Shyrel wrote:

I will definitely try fit model but I thought you must have a muscular body or at least some muscles to do fitness modeling ? Glam too is not bad but as long that it 's in a fashion style not too sexy style smile
The rest is just : No way for me !

Well, there are many different modelling generes out there.  But just for the record, I don't think you're too small to get into a plus size division.  It's not about the size you wear(I wear a 4 in most brands) but your measurments.

Dec 11 08 06:54 am Link

Model

Biana_Libertine

Brooklyn, New York, US

Shyrel wrote:

Oh really ? So let me just search all the agencies here in L.A. that represent plus size and contact them for representation ? Please I still need your help guys to find out agencies that represent plus size models here in L.A. I got some already but the more I get will be better smile

Contact them, either go to an open call, or send poloroids.  But don't take my word on that, it's just what I heard from others, I've never been to an agency open call or done poloroid submissions

Dec 11 08 08:02 am Link

Model

Biana_Libertine

Brooklyn, New York, US

Passionate Kelly wrote:
Plus Size in da house!!! Woop Woop!!! Thick and sexy is what we are!!!!

At 4'11?

Dec 11 08 08:04 am Link

Model

Yolena

Thanks again smile
Hey I got a feedback from this agency and they would like to meet me next week but I was wondering, is it agency legit or scam ?
Here is their website :
www.modelmanagementinc.com

Thanks for the help smile

Dec 13 08 10:58 pm Link

Model

Michelle Renee

Shyrel wrote:
Thanks again smile
Hey I got a feedback from this agency and they would like to meet me next week but I was wondering, is it agency legit or scam ?
Here is their website :
www.modelmanagementinc.com

Thanks for the help smile

I big giant and emphatic NO!!!!!

First off, I think they sign anyone who submits and I have heard the word "photo mill" tied to them way too many times.

Dec 13 08 11:05 pm Link

Model

Yolena

What do you exactly mean by that ?
Please explain clearly for my little brain smile

Dec 13 08 11:41 pm Link

Model

Maggie Pie

Bellflower, California, US

You guys got to be fucking kidding me. There is no such thing as the perfect plus size are you fucking serious? Society wants you to be there size. Me personnaly I don't care what size a plus size model is or a skinny model is we are made how we are suppose to be and these agencies got life twisted. I mean seriously gee. Its funny how you models are really buying into this crap. Goodluck in what you really believe in "perfect plus size" lol you can come back to reality now.

Dec 13 08 11:52 pm Link

Model

Michelle Renee

Shyrel wrote:
What do you exactly mean by that ?
Please explain clearly for my little brain smile

Google "scam model management inc. los angeles and you will get a myriad of postings from ripoffreport.com, easybackgroundcheck.com, etc.

They are selling people photos for anywhere from $800 to as much as $1500, and most legit agencies are not advertising on Craigslist, as they have so many models submitting to them they do not need to solicit.

I have heard nothing good about them ever.

Dec 14 08 12:00 am Link

Model

Yolena

Michelle Renee  wrote:
Google "scam model management inc. los angeles and you will get a myriad of postings from ripoffreport.com, easybackgroundcheck.com, etc.

They are selling people photos for anywhere from $800 to as much as $1500, and most legit agencies are not advertising on Craigslist, as they have so many models submitting to them they do not need to solicit.

I have heard nothing good about them ever.

Whoa thank God I asked advices before wasting my time to go and meet them.
I will google it right now and check it out. Thanks smile

Dec 14 08 01:55 am Link

Model

Sam_

New York, New York, US

crystal clear bbw wrote:
You guys got to be fucking kidding me. There is no such thing as the perfect plus size are you fucking serious? Society wants you to be there size. Me personnaly I don't care what size a plus size model is or a skinny model is we are made how we are suppose to be and these agencies got life twisted. I mean seriously gee. Its funny how you models are really buying into this crap. Goodluck in what you really believe in "perfect plus size" lol you can come back to reality now.

Viktoria asked what the "ideal size" was, and by ideal she meant the size that books the most work in the industry at the moment.  The OP explains this loud and clear.

That's great that you don't personally care about what constitutes an industry standard plus model or fashion model, but the "reality" is that this is a business like any other and it is about making money. 

Buying into what crap?

Dec 14 08 03:27 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

crystal clear bbw wrote:

No one is talking about some kind of moral ideal.  We're talking about who gets work as plus models.  To clarify:  plus size fashion models.  We're not talking about whether it's okay to be thick, or about plus size women or fat women who model, or whether eating a cheeseburger makes you a bad person.  We are talking about a mainstream genre of modeling.  That's it.  Deep breath.  Nobody's condemning you or anyone else.

Dec 14 08 11:04 am Link

Model

Biana_Libertine

Brooklyn, New York, US

crystal clear bbw wrote:

The agencies just represent what the clients are looking for.  And yes, there can be such a thing as the ideal plus model size, it would be the size that is most in demand as of now, which, I believe, is what the OP was trying to say.

Dec 14 08 07:40 pm Link

Model

Jasmine E

New York, New York, US

Shyrel wrote:

Awh thanks smile so what do you mean by a great size and great shape ?
You think I'm a plus size model or no ? smile
I love your work, it's amazing smile

Try your luck with a Commercial Print Agency. Size and Height aren't really issues with Commercial agencies. It's not fashion or edgy, but it sure can pay the bills!!!

Mar 13 09 05:49 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Jasmine E wrote:

Try your luck with a Commercial Print Agency. Size and Height aren't really issues with Commercial agencies. It's not fashion or edgy, but it sure can pay the bills!!!

Of course size and height are issues with commercial agencies. There's more leeway in that market if you're a little shorter or a little heavier, but there are still standards.

Mar 13 09 05:53 pm Link

Model

Janice Marie Foote

Viktoria wrote:
does anybody know the "ideal" size for a plus model as well as what the measurements for that size should be? ideal = most work. for instance, straight fashion models are ideally a 2  currently and 34-24-34 ideally.  from what i see on my agency's site plus size seems to range from 12 to 16... but what is "most bookable?"

Plus Model assistance thread: https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=198786

Mar 13 09 06:13 pm Link

Model

Viktoria

Bethpage, New York, US

funny this got bumped. oh and that chick is on crack.

Mar 13 09 06:19 pm Link

Model

Empire

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Oh no!
I'm 38, 30, 41

Mar 13 09 06:32 pm Link

Model

Jasmine E

New York, New York, US

theda wrote:
Of course size and height are issues with commercial agencies. There's more leeway in that market if you're a little shorter or a little heavier, but there are still standards.

Umm .. The PineSol Lady doesn't look anything like a model in the traditional sense, but I'm sure she has a commercial/commercial print agent. Just sell that toothpaste, soap, cereal, etc and SMILE! smile

My point being to Shyerl is that if she's too big for straight size, and too small for plus size, commercial print is best for her as they uses girls stuck in between classifications ....

Mar 13 09 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

RSM-images

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Fashion industry "plus models" are trim and proportional -- *not* obese.

Mar 13 09 09:21 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Jasmine E wrote:

Umm .. The PineSol Lady doesn't look anything like a model in the traditional sense, but I'm sure she has a commercial/commercial print agent. Just sell that toothpaste, soap, cereal, etc and SMILE! smile

My point being to Shyerl is that if she's too big for straight size, and too small for plus size, commercial print is best for her as they uses girls stuck in between classifications ....

Dollars to donuts she's not signed with any kind of commercial print agency and her only agent is her acting/talent agent. 

While it's true commercial print models often fall between straight and plus models in size range, there is a specific set of requirements for commercial print and it would be misleading to insinuate otherwise.

Mar 13 09 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Chateau LaCroix

New York, New York, US

Ideal size is 12+ and 14 for a 5'10 to 5'11.
I worked a lot with Plus Size for catalogs. Size 12 is the minimum and we request them sometime to bring paddings. In general the Plus Size collection is not tight to the body anyway.
In the fashion/retail industry we book models mostly for there face bc they have to sell the product and the high to give that large outfit a good proportion.

Mar 14 09 01:53 pm Link

Model

Lakisha Alston

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

I would like to ask for my height and size is there any work in fashion for me because i am shorter than the 5'8. please check out my pics and let me know what field of modeling i should go for.

Mar 16 09 04:22 pm Link

Model

Stella Dean

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Lakisha Alston wrote:
I would like to ask for my height and size is there any work in fashion for me because i am shorter than the 5'8. please check out my pics and let me know what field of modeling i should go for.

No.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=334270

You can get some good advice there.

Mar 16 09 05:26 pm Link

Model

Shaka

Tucson, Arizona, US

I love it when you ladies drop knowledge! WOOT! Gives me chills.

Mar 27 09 01:02 pm Link

Model

Yolena

I was told I'm not a plus size model but a Missy size 8 what does that mean please ? smile

Jun 18 09 06:15 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Seifu

New York, New York, US

Who told you that?

Jun 20 09 07:46 am Link

Model

Yolena

An agency booker why ?

Jun 21 09 04:58 pm Link

Model

Luz Lenoir

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Very informative thread! I don't have exact measurements but I'm a size 13 and I am 5'7. Do you think there is hope for me?

Aug 16 12 12:04 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

it used to be 14/16, now it's more a large 12 of a very small 14 if you're tall (like 5'10 and taller), and 10-12 if you're on the short side (like 5'7, 5'8). the trend is really leaning towards smaller models now (remember that crystal renn is still "sold" as plus, and she's like an 8 now)

so either that, or on the other side: 16 or 16-18. then you have an advantage (if you're gorgeous ofcourse), because there aren't a lot of models like that, so the clients that want that have a small pool of models to chose from.

but size is not as relevant in plussizemodelling as it is in straightsize modelling: it's more the look first, followed by the size

there is also no exact perfect measurement. as long as there is enough difference between chest and waist, and waist and hip, proportionate, boobs not too big (but not too small either), long legs and toned.

PS OP, I personally think you'd be great for plus smile

Aug 16 12 12:49 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Luz Lenoir wrote:
Very informative thread! I don't have exact measurements but I'm a size 13 and I am 5'7. Do you think there is hope for me?

if you really are a size 13, then you should measure yourself again. because the measurements on your profile put you at a size 8.

to measure, it's across your boobs (so not under), the smallest part of your waist (without sucking in your stomach too much) and the largest part of your hip/ass (that depends on bodytype, so measure yourself at various places and take the largest measurement. for me, my hip measurement is actually right below my butt, cause I have saddlebags)

Aug 16 12 12:55 pm Link