Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Who makes the best makeup..and why is it the best?

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

As a photographer I have no clue as to why some makeup is considered better than others.

I see people posting about MAC products, and I've actually worked with a model that was MAC certified.

I would love to hear some technical arguments about why certain makeups are superior to others.

Mar 28 06 03:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Stefani Nicole

San Francisco, California, US

OPPS!

Mar 28 06 03:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Stefani Nicole

MOST PROFESSIONAL ARTIST THINK THAT MAC SUCKS, IT'S TOO MAINSTREAM.  I USED TO WORK FOR MAKE AND I THINK THEY'RE OVER-RATED.  MAKEUP ARTIST SHOULD HAVE MULTIPLE LINES IN THEY'RE KIT, SOME THINGS WORK BETTER ON DIFFERENT SKIN TONES, COMPLECTIONS AND SKIN TYPES, AND THATS UP FOR THE MAKEUP ARTIST TO FIND.  ARTIST SHOULD'NT BE CLOSE MINDED COLOR IS COLOR, IT'S UP TO THE MAKEUP ARTIST TO MANIPULATE IT. dON'T GET ME WRONG I HAVE TONS OF MEC IN MY KIT (IT WAS FREE) BUT I HAVE TONS OF OTHER LINES AS WELL.

Mar 28 06 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

Bill, In one breathe I'm inclinded to say that the stove doesnt make the cook a chef. therefore the makeup doesnt matter, it's up to the MUA. HOWEVER, I have just seen tooooooooo many instances where the MAC gals get the superior results. Maybe its training, I dont know. I DO know that if you want bold, striking and vibrant colors, MAC has em. I did a series of images for Mehron and we used their Precious Gems powders and they were totally outstanding. Amazing. and seemed to hold up to long shoots under hot lights much better than anything I had ever seen before.
Probably has to do more with the comfort level of the MUA with the product than the product itself...

Mar 28 06 03:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

i have a bit of everything in my kit: chanel, ysl, tarte, laura mercier, mac, stila, smashbox... etc...

it is my experience that MAC salespeople are good with doing the MAC thing, but tend to not be super versatile to do anything else... particularly to tone it down. There are always exceptions to the rule and some great artists have come from MAC. But, there is this conception out there that MAC is the end-all be-all and that is simply not true. While it used to be a very artist friendly line... it is now all consumer... every collection looks like all their other collections and its just not formulated with artists in mind anymore.

i used to be all into mac before i discovered the plethora of other and better brands out there, now i rarely buy from them.

Mar 28 06 04:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Personally I dont think that MAC is so amazing , all I have of a MAC item in my kit is 2 lip glosses,and they were a buy one get one free. I would much prefer not to be a name brand whore. I have a little of this and A little of that in my kit I have everything from 2 dollar lip linners from the drug store to 30 dollar ones, its all in how you use it. I think MAC is just a name brand that get stuck on the tips of peoples tounges and its the 1st brand they think of.
I love RCMA for foundations, BEN NYE is also a favorite of mine for eye shadows and blushes, I have some Chanel, Paul and JO, wet'n'wild and so on , I find products that work for me, have great colors and good quality. Some times you dont need a major name brand to be amazing but some times you do.
in most cases you get what you pay for. I would not hire some one if they only used one brand but I might question why they dont try others.
but thats just my 2 cents smile

Mar 28 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

I personally think Make Up For Ever is one of the best "mainstream" makeup brands, followed by Nars. But for foundations, nothing beats RCMA.

I have everything in my kit, though, from drug store stuff to the very expensive high-end makeup. Every brand has their good products and bad products. smile

xo
Siân Melton
http://www.alwaysmadeup.com

Mar 28 06 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

Ok, cool.
I think I get it now.
It makes perfect sense that different brands are better for different aspects of makeup.

I only named MAC because they're the only name I've heard of in the modeling world (remember I'm a photographer please - lol!)

So I guess no professionals use Cover Girl or Maybelline ?

Mar 28 06 04:39 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Bill Tracy wrote:
Ok, cool.
I think I get it now.
It makes perfect sense that different brands are better for different aspects of makeup.

I only named MAC because they're the only name I've heard of in the modeling world (remember I'm a photographer please - lol!)

So I guess no professionals use Cover Girl or Maybelline ?

Pros use whatever works.  Occasionally, that's a surprisingly cheap drug store product.

MAC trained make-up artists are trained to sell MAC make-up, not to do proper make up for film.  I'm sure there are MAC employees that are truly skilled, but it's not really part of their job with MAC.

Mar 28 06 04:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

theda wrote:
MAC trained make-up artists are trained to sell MAC make-up, not to do proper make up for film.  I'm sure there are MAC employees that are truly skilled, but it's not really part of their job with MAC.

yeah that is the point that i was trying to make. its not just a mac thing, its a counter thing in general. its more about selling make-up than anything else. but there are a lot of pro muas that take freelance jobs for product and money, but for the most part they are just lifers.

Mar 28 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Well I own the company. Now what! you guys have something to say now!

Mar 28 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Joshua Gottesman

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kryolan makeup, available at http://www.cosworx.com/ has a very good reputation as a stage makeup, which dovetails with a lot of shoots.  It comes in about 160 different shades, and holds up very well.  I don't think its really an every day makeup, and it may suit your purposes.

And yes, that was a blatant plug for my wife's company.

Mar 28 06 06:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

theda wrote:
Pros use whatever works.  Occasionally, that's a surprisingly cheap drug store product.

thank you.

Do you know what MAC pays their employees?  its more then a fast food resteraunt but not by all that much.  Do you think a really talented artist would work for counter pay?  ummmm.  No. 

I am not saying that a few of their artists are not talented but then why are they at MAC?  building their portfolio and trying to get the hell out is what they're doing. 

Why would a photographer work at Olen Mill or the Sears portrait studio?  that would be the equivilent of a real artist working at a makeup counter...some do it when they are not yet established but that would be your newer artists.

As for makeup, I love professional makeup, RCMA, Cinema Secrets, etc....I do have a few MAC pencils and lip colors but thats because I am using them up to get rid of them. Makeup doesnt have to be expensive to be good but it has to perform well and be high pigment, most drug store brands are not.

just saw the above post, Kryolan is also good, its a professional high pigment product....and Since we are doing blatant plugs  www.CameraReadyCosmetics.com  LOL!

Mar 28 06 06:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Mary wrote:

thank you.

Do you know what MAC pays their employees?  t more then a fast food but not by all that much.  Do you think a really talented artist would work for counter pay?  ummmm.  No. 

I am not saying that a few of their artists are not talented but then why are they at MAC?  building their portfolio and trying to get the hell out is what they're doing.

Yeah, at one point I needed some extra money and thought about going to MAC. I did their interviews, but they were put off by the fact that I was actually a working artist. They like to seem super professional, but they are actually pretty intimidated by noncounter MUAs.

Mar 28 06 06:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Hutchings

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

A Make Up Artist should be able to make any product work no matter how crappy or how good, that is if you are a good MUA.

I have found that Laura Mercier is an amazing foundation. The coverage is unbelievable! I mean flawless and even better when through an airbrush.( try it if you haven't)

MAC has some great products and also some really crappy ones. I mean I'd have to say I'm not really a fan of their concealers, but when it comes to vibrant colors they've done their homework. If you go to almost any fashion show around the world most likely they are using MAC products.

I think to be a good MUA you need a little bit of everything. You need some high end brands like Ysl or Chanel because people know there stuff these days and are impressed when you pull out brands like these. However there are always staples in your kit like cinema secrets concealer I think I would die with out it.

All in all it really doesn't matter what you use because the make up doesn't make the artist, the artist makes the make up!!!!!!

Mar 28 06 06:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Ashley Hutchings wrote:
A Make Up Artist should be able to make any product work no matter how crappy or how good, that is if you are a good MUA.

I have found that Laura Mercier is an amazing foundation. The coverage is unbelievable! I mean flawless and even better when through an airbrush.( try it if you haven't)

MAC has some great products and also some really crappy ones. I mean I'd have to say I'm not really a fan of their concealers, but when it comes to vibrant colors they've done their homework. If you go to almost any fashion show around the world most likely they are using MAC products.

I think to be a good MUA you need a little bit of everything. You need some high end brands like Ysl or Chanel because people know there stuff these days and are impressed when you pull out brands like these. However there are always staples in your kit like cinema secrets concealer I think I would die with out it.

All in all it really doesn't matter what you use because the make up doesn't make the artist, the artist makes the make up!!!!!!

the reason why they use MAC at most the fashion shows is because they get the product and the artists free.  Its a deal MAC has made and its a sweet one for everyone except freelance artists.

I agree that a good artist can make just about anything look good except foundation.  If you are using a foundation with Titanium Dioxide, Its not going to look good on print.  It's always going to look unatural.

Mar 28 06 06:55 pm Link

Model

MarleneM aka Mimi

Jamaica, New York, US

As a MUA, I don't care who makes the product-It's about pigment, texture, & effectiveness. Clients/Models always ask me what makeup brand do I use, I always say "every brand has it's star product". We don't all buy our clothing from one exclusive store, we don't all buy food from only one restaurant, & the analogy of the Sears photographer is quite accurate.

-m&m

Mar 28 06 07:51 pm Link