Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Anybody have experience making aliens?

Photographer

Marc Gonzales

San Francisco, California, US

I might need to make some aliens for a project that I am doing? Anybody have any tips, or proping ideas?

Mar 28 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Marcos Uriel Neri wrote:
I might need to make some aliens for a project that I am doing? Anybody have any tips, or proping ideas?

U're in California right?? I thought that like half the population was aliens. Do u need the legal or the illegal kind?

GWC!

Mar 28 06 07:25 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Don't be a smart-arse, GWC. Don't be a dumb ass either.

Well that would depend upon the size of alien you want and how realistic. Do you want free-standing aliens or something like an alien head ? My first inclination is to tell you to get a LARGE regular shaped balloon and do the old papier mache on a balloon thing. The head would be the right shape and then you can lightly sand and paint the bugger. If you really want to be labour intensive you could get a block of floral foam, NOT the grren oasis stuff and carve carve carve, then the eyes would be right there as a unit. you could then paint him with liquid latex over some acrylic craft paint, then he'd be shiny. You can make his body out of wire and tinfoil for the thicker bits and then papier mache over that. He won't be terribly posable but you can make them into the right pose. It would be easier to poke a wire armature neck into a styrofaom head. I'm just spit balling here. I'm sure others have better ideas.

Mar 28 06 08:30 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

HeeHee. It almost looked like you said PROBING ideas. 

Well that would depend upon the size of alien you want and how realistic. Do you want free-standing aliens or something like an alien head ? My first inclination is to tell you to get a LARGE regular shaped balloon and do the old papier mache on a balloon thing. The head would be the right shape and then you can lightly sand and paint the bugger. If you really want to be labour intensive you could get a block of floral foam, NOT the grren oasis stuff and carve carve carve, then the eyes would be right there as a unit. you could then paint him with liquid latex over some acrylic craft paint, then he'd be shiny. You can make his body out of wire and tinfoil for the thicker bits and then papier mache over that. He won't be terribly posable but you can make them into the right pose. It would be easier to poke a wire armature neck into a styrofoam head. I'm just spit balling here. I'm sure others have better ideas.

Mar 28 06 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Miss Anthropy wrote:

Its my role in life to be a smart dumbass!!!

OK let me ask the obviouser question -- do the aliens need to be 100% scale? Can you get some little plastic aliens and photograph them under the same lighting angles and then composite them together into your life-size image?

GWC!

Mar 28 06 08:34 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

GWC wrote:

Its my role in life to be a smart dumbass!!!

OK let me ask the obviouser question -- do the aliens need to be 100% scale? Can you get some little plastic aliens and photograph them under the same lighting angles and then composite them together into your life-size image?

GWC!

I was kidding, GWC. Yeah, you live in Cali, why not go to a theatrical rental house and RENT some aliens. I hear tell that a lot of movie and tv props end up at those places. Might be more cost effective than Making some and they're less likely to look as homemade as homemade aliens. That sounds like a band name...HMM...My friend is looking for a name for his band.

Mar 28 06 08:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

well it depends on how much you want to spend and how quickly you need it. ? smile
there are some great ways to make em. what are you looking for?
Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Mar 28 06 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

Illegal aliens ?  were  ?

Mar 28 06 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

BlueTree Images

Nashville, Tennessee, US

This is a picture of an actual alien skull I found in the Eastern Oregon desert.  For the body I just used a ladder draped with some gold fabric.

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=43c5ec5907352

I've also got some bridges for sale...

Mar 28 06 09:29 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Are you looking to make aliens out of models, or some other form? Any good SFX artist should be able to help you.

Mar 29 06 12:38 am Link