Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > hair extension

Model

Courtney Paige

Los Angeles, California, US

Hi, i currentally have hair extensions.. by tressalure i belive.. they are put in with the "tape" im getting really sick of them but my real hair is really weak from bleaching it.. so i want to get extensions that last a while and will NOT ruin my hair underneath at all.. any suggestions? maybe someone would want to do a tfp? let me know thanks court

Mar 28 06 07:42 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

hi courtney,

i actually use TRESSALLURE extensions at the salon i work at. I just need to know, how and why are you "getting sick of them". let me know what problems (specificly)  you are encountering with these extensions and i'll be able to give you my proffessional opinion on what you can do.

Mar 28 06 09:37 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Olivier

Your solution is called "Great Lenghts" Extensions smile. They are the best extensions on the market , 100% human hair ( with all the cutticles going the same way wich is not the case with other brands). Fusion with keratine and protein bonds, last 6 months and do not damage the hair. Check it out all the stars, supermodels use them ;-) comes in all lenghts up to 24 inches. Hope that helped!

Mar 28 06 09:43 pm Link

Model

Courtney Paige

Emily Chen wrote:
hi courtney,

i actually use TRESSALLURE extensions at the salon i work at. I just need to know, how and why are you "getting sick of them". let me know what problems (specificly)  you are encountering with these extensions and i'll be able to give you my proffessional opinion on what you can do.

i love they way they look but serioulsy they come loose all the time.. right now im at about 1 week and i already have one that has detached.. ususally they only last about 4 weeks if that.. and i mean 120$ a month to get them fixed isnt cheap.. i just feel like with modeling and having other people do my hair i should have some that are a little more "stable" thanks so much for your responce

Mar 29 06 07:35 am Link

Model

Courtney Paige

Olivier wrote:
Your solution is called "Great Lenghts" Extensions smile. They are the best extensions on the market , 100% human hair ( with all the cutticles going the same way wich is not the case with other brands). Fusion with keratine and protein bonds, last 6 months and do not damage the hair. Check it out all the stars, supermodels use them ;-) comes in all lenghts up to 24 inches. Hope that helped!

yes, i will def. check into that!!

Mar 29 06 07:36 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

If your hair can hold a braid well, have someone sew in tracks.  It'll last at least 2 months and it's much cheaper.

Mar 29 06 07:38 am Link

Model

CAPRI

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, US

being as though white girls wash their hair a lot more i would suggest fusion.
its ultra expensive but like the person above stated ..it lasts about 6 months.
i personally just use the bonding glue but again I know how to do my own extensions.

Mar 29 06 07:44 am Link

Model

shimmer

Arlington, Texas, US

I have often thought about extensions,but I'm just terrified at  the thought of jacking my hair up.

Mar 29 06 07:56 am Link

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

Courtney Paige wrote:

i love they way they look but serioulsy they come loose all the time.. right now im at about 1 week and i already have one that has detached.. ususally they only last about 4 weeks if that.. and i mean 120$ a month to get them fixed isnt cheap.. i just feel like with modeling and having other people do my hair i should have some that are a little more "stable" thanks so much for your responce

I'm wondering if they were put in properly b/c tressallure extensions are very easy to screw up. Chemically, they do not damage hair, but if they are put in improperly, or if one is not following proper care at home, they can pull on the hair and cause mild breakage.
  and like somebody else wrote, Greatlengths extensions are great, they are more expensive and take longer to put in, but i the long run, i think they definately work out better than any type of track extensions (track= extensions that come in the form of a long weft rather than individual pieces. these include Tressallure, "Sew in", "glue in", and some others).
or, if you only need extensions for a shoot, i would suggest the glue in type which is very inexpensive, and lasts about 1 or 2 shampoos. you have less of a chance damaging your hair w/ these b/c it is only temporary.

Mar 29 06 11:13 am Link

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

Just so you have it, this is the proper home care you should follow according to TRESSALLURE manufacturers.

Shampoo hair apprx 2-3 times a week.
(do not use shampoo or conditioner with any type of citrus ingerdients! citurs will dissolve the bonds) when you are shampooing, DO make sure you shampoo your roots and underneath the tracks ( about 24 hours after the initial allpication of the extensions, the tracks should lift from the scalp and become somewhat of a "flap", so when you shampoo, make sure you get underneath that "flap" to rid any oils that can weaken the bonds) and rinse THOUROUGHLY.

DO NOT use conditioner at the roots!! a leave in contioner is reccomended as well as long as you only apply to the ends.

DO NOT use any silicone based products at the roots or near the tracks. if anything try to not allpy ANY styling products close to the roots.

Brush hair with a Tressallure Loop Brush, specially designed to reduce pulling, or catching on the tracks. or if you do not have a loop brush, hold the bonds down with one hand while you brush w/ the other.

Put your hair in a ponytail or braid before going to bed.

When blowdrying, try not to place direct heat on the bonds/roots.

and remember, the extensions are 100% human hair, so you should treat it like your own for the most part. always use a thermal product (AVOIDING ROOTS/BONDS) before you dry or iron the hair. the better you take care of the extensions, the longer they will last. Hope this helps.

Mar 29 06 11:27 am Link

Model

Courtney Paige

Emily Chen wrote:
Just so you have it, this is the proper home care you should follow according to TRESSALLURE manufacturers.

Shampoo hair apprx 2-3 times a week.
(do not use shampoo or conditioner with any type of citrus ingerdients! citurs will dissolve the bonds) when you are shampooing, DO make sure you shampoo your roots and underneath the tracks ( about 24 hours after the initial allpication of the extensions, the tracks should lift from the scalp and become somewhat of a "flap", so when you shampoo, make sure you get underneath that "flap" to rid any oils that can weaken the bonds) and rinse THOUROUGHLY.

DO NOT use conditioner at the roots!! a leave in contioner is reccomended as well as long as you only apply to the ends.

DO NOT use any silicone based products at the roots or near the tracks. if anything try to not allpy ANY styling products close to the roots.

Brush hair with a Tressallure Loop Brush, specially designed to reduce pulling, or catching on the tracks. or if you do not have a loop brush, hold the bonds down with one hand while you brush w/ the other.

Put your hair in a ponytail or braid before going to bed.

When blowdrying, try not to place direct heat on the bonds/roots.

and remember, the extensions are 100% human hair, so you should treat it like your own for the most part. always use a thermal product (AVOIDING ROOTS/BONDS) before you dry or iron the hair. the better you take care of the extensions, the longer they will last. Hope this helps.

hey, thanks for your help.. it seems as if i am taking care of them right.. as for her putting them in right.. i cant answer that.. are your clients getting more then 4 weeks out of them? Do you also do the great lenghts? if so.. would you be intersted in doing my hair and how much would then run? Im serioulsy getting sick of the ones i have in now.. i have one hanging on but i really dont want to call her and tell her because i feel like i live at the salon. haha... well thanks again let me know..
court

Mar 29 06 05:09 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

Courtney Paige wrote:

hey, thanks for your help.. it seems as if i am taking care of them right.. as for her putting them in right.. i cant answer that.. are your clients getting more then 4 weeks out of them? Do you also do the great lenghts? if so.. would you be intersted in doing my hair and how much would then run? Im serioulsy getting sick of the ones i have in now.. i have one hanging on but i really dont want to call her and tell her because i feel like i live at the salon. haha... well thanks again let me know..
court

for the most part, the majority of my clients are getting about 4-6 weeks out of them (same as a color, it grows out in about 4-6 wks), however, everyone is different. i had one client come back after only two weeks, b/c some tracks were comming loose. i discovered that she had an abnormally oily scalp, and hair too fine to not shampoo daily. extensions were a poor choice for her (either look really greasy or risk loosening the bonds -those were her choices). this is a rare case. i imediately called the manufacturer to see what could be done and was told that about 5% of the population does not have the right genetics to wear tressallure extensions and my client was one of them. do you have an oily scalp and fine hair?

and as for calling your stylist, i think you definately should and tell her what's going on. you won't hurt her feelings. being a stylist myself, i would much RATHER have my client call in about any problems she is having than have her just sit at home and hate her hair. infact, i always tell them to call me with any concerns before they leave the salon. it does not hurt my feelings smile. if anything it helps me understand my clients' hair even more.

Best of Luck,
Emily Chen

Mar 29 06 08:35 pm Link