Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Why is Talc bad for you?

Makeup Artist

Ivy Lam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A lot of cheaper products have talc in it...why is it bad for you?

Mar 28 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo

Simi Valley, California, US

Ivy Lam wrote:
A lot of cheaper products have talc in it...why is it bad for you?

Not being a stylist I'm taking a guess that talc is used as a filler rather than an actual pigment.

Mar 28 06 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

It's another one of those things that can cause cancer. Right along side potato chips and ketchup (note: I don't actually know if those things are thought to cause cancer, I am just attempting to be witty).

If I am not mistaken, there have been quite a lot of studies and many scientists have concluded that talc is toxic and can lead to ovarian cancer.

xo

Mar 28 06 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Actually, nothing conclusive has been found about talc.  It is nowhere close to as toxic or carcinogenic as some lipsticks...  smile

Talc - Wikipedia

Mar 29 06 12:02 am Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

lll wrote:
Actually, nothing conclusive has been found about talc.  It is nowhere close to as toxic or carcinogenic as some lipsticks...  smile

Talc - Wikipedia

Eh, you can google "talc + makeup" and find a lot of stuff about how "toxic" it is. But I use quotes around "toxic" for a reason, just like people think milk is "bad" for you.

EVERYTHING will kill you these days... it just depends on your point of view.

Mar 29 06 12:21 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:
Eh, you can google "talc + makeup" and find a lot of stuff about how "toxic" it is. But I use quotes around "toxic" for a reason, just like people think milk is "bad" for you.

Yep!  I ate too much rice.  smile

Generally I don't care about using Google because it always comes back with opinions that's just folklore.  Out of interest I searched the academic database and found out that most of these "toxic" claims are bogus urban legends.  I'd rather trust the scientists (me, being one of them!).  smile  Trust us...we will save you!  lol

Try Google Scholar, you will find much more credible information that has been peer-reviewed.

Mar 29 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

lll wrote:

Yep!  I ate too much rice.  smile

Generally I don't care about using Google because it always comes back with opinions that's just folklore.  Out of interest I searched the academic database and found out that most of these "toxic" claims are bogus urban legends.  I'd rather trust the scientists (me, being one of them!).  smile  Trust us...we will save you!  lol

Try Google Scholar, you will find much more credible information that has been peer-reviewed.

But..but...why would people lie on the Internet?!?!?!?!?!?!

Since it's online, it must be true. wink

Never heard of Google Scholar - I'll have to check it out - thanks.

And now I'll get back to talking on my cell phone, drinking milk, eating salmon, and cooking with aluminum pots....ha ha.

Mar 29 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:
And now I'll get back to talking on my cell phone, drinking milk, eating salmon, and cooking with aluminum pots....ha ha.

You forgot to mention: Breath!

Mar 29 06 12:35 am Link

Model

Chelsea Gilgore

Seattle, Washington, US

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:
It's another one of those things that can cause cancer. Right along side potato chips and ketchup (note: I don't actually know if those things are thought to cause cancer, I am just attempting to be witty).

If I am not mistaken, there have been quite a lot of studies and many scientists have concluded that talc is toxic and can lead to ovarian cancer.

xo

I love your avatar. smile

Mar 29 06 12:36 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Talc powder and baby powder do pose an inhalation hazard, that's about all I can think of though.

Mar 29 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Chelsea Gilgore wrote:
I love your avatar. smile

Thank-you smile

lll wrote:
You forgot to mention: Breath!

*deep inhale* Mmmm can't you taste the toxins? Yummy.

Mar 29 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

BlueTree Images

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Hmmm.  I was told by my doctor not to put baby powder on my feet for athelet's foot because it containted corn products and starches that viruses could feed on.  I know that it primarily consists of talc so I am not sure if that is true.  Anyway, maybe it's related somehow.  Sorry this is such a vague post but I thought it might give you a clue for research.

Mar 29 06 01:10 am Link

Model

Tuesday Jean

As far as I remember it can be toxic but the ammount that would induce such toxicity is rather high. Mostly it tends to be an irritant to sensitive skin types much like pure tea tree oil  is, especialy when in high ammounts. Or I could be wrong and Ill keel over tomorrow from talc poisoning. Which I personaly would find highly amusing consider my dietary and smoking habits wink

Mar 29 06 01:20 am Link

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

yes everything kills you! diet soda will give you cancer, regualar soda will give you diabetes!! i think many more people die every year driving a car than they do using cheap talc based makeup.

Mar 29 06 11:42 am Link

Photographer

majoy

Newark, California, US

How about we all just strip naked and live off our mother earth eating what she so generously provides?  Forget this commercialized society we live in with all the processed and refined foods... that's full of technology that will lead to our demise.  But, I'll have to go home on Wednesday... America's Next Top Model is on and I prefer watching it live versus tivo.

Mar 29 06 12:34 pm Link

Model

Raffi

Penzance, England, United Kingdom

i have a L3 in holistic therapies so we studied cancer...a lot....ovarian cancer can be caused when the talc is applied directly to the intimate area.  Tracies of talc have been  found in the tumor when its and disected (sp, dyslexic sorry).  so dont go sticking it around places and stuff

Mar 29 06 12:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ivy Lam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate it! learned lots!

Mar 29 06 10:25 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Raffi wrote:
i have a L3 in holistic therapies so we studied cancer...a lot....ovarian cancer can be caused when the talc is applied directly to the intimate area.  Tracies of talc have been  found in the tumor when its and disected (sp, dyslexic sorry).  so dont go sticking it around places and stuff

It cetainly would have to work it's way up there, wouldn't it? Have there been studies regarding correlation versus causation? Have these results been compared to disections of healthy ovaries? This reminds me of the theories that that anti-perspirant causes Alzheimer's that were floating about.

Mar 30 06 02:34 am Link

Photographer

WillSpringfield

Los Angeles, California, US

majoy wrote:
How about we all just strip naked and live off our mother earth eating what she so generously provides?  Forget this commercialized society we live in with all the processed and refined foods... that's full of technology that will lead to our demise.  But, I'll have to go home on Wednesday... America's Next Top Model is on and I prefer watching it live versus tivo.

but if we eat too much fish we will die of mercury poisoning :-) but i second the notion of everyone stripping nude! lol

Mar 30 06 02:42 am Link

Model

Lillith Leda

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

It prevents the skin from being able to breath, hence glogging up your lymphatic system.

Mar 30 06 02:44 am Link

Photographer

Phil Edelstein

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lillith Leda wrote:
It prevents the skin from being able to breath, hence glogging up your lymphatic system.

Mar 30 06 02:45 am Link

Photographer

Phil Edelstein

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lillith, come breathe the Vegas air!

Phil

Mar 30 06 02:45 am Link

Model

Lillith Leda

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Phil Edelstein wrote:
Lillith, come breathe the Vegas air!

Phil

Phil!!!  big_smile You're too much, I love it! And don't doubt it, it's an absolute priority!

Mar 30 06 02:49 am Link