Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > why didn't I get the job?

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

Just a quick question.  I applied at MAC last week to work in the store and I was told that I would get a reply within a couple of days.  I was just wondering if it was a mistake to tell them that I am currently working as a freelance artist.  Or is it because MAC is more edgy and my book is a little more on the commercial side?

I'd just like to know why I did not get the job.  Was it a mistake to leave a comp card with them?

Thanks Much,
Melissa

Mar 29 06 10:15 am Link

Model

Naomi Jay

New York, New York, US

Maybe they thought if you freelanced, you'd call out a lot to do jobs. WHo knows..

Mar 29 06 10:17 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I think your work looks great. If they didn't see that, their loss! Have you tried someplace like Sephora or Ulta maybe?

Mar 29 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

If they hired someone else why not ask the person you interviewed with why
they didn't choose you.  Nothing wrong with leaving a card or letting them
know you freelance.  Yet if you're curious, ask.

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

Like most employers - they call when they need you.
Continued contact is good and you should always leave them w
a card and good impression.

E L

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

mac tends to look for lifers as opposed to actual working professionals. next time you will just have to dumb yourself down a little bit. the fact that you are a working pro, can be intimidating to most of the management.. because they are not. When I applied to MAC I was working on a tv show 2 days a week, and they weren't too happy about that. if you go to a place like mac or any counter... its best just to make yourself seem no to pro- like working at the MAC counter is your DREAM job.

Mar 29 06 10:53 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

It's just MAC,  thier loss not yours. Dont worry about it, Like the above post MAC wants Lifers, they want people who only want to work for MAC. Who life eat and breath MAC. So dont worry hun your stuff is  just fine . They just dont know what they are missing. smile

Mar 29 06 11:03 am Link

Photographer

C and J Photography

Hauula, Hawaii, US

One thing is obvious. They didn't pass on you because of your work. It is fantastic.

Mar 29 06 11:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Dont worry- sometimes it can take 2 weeks to get back to you.
However it is easier to get into a MAC counter ( like Macys) than the free standing store.
For the store they like to hire internally first and then if they cant find anyone in the company they will pull from outside.
Like Rachel says they really want someone who is 115% committed.
So continuing to freelance while working there may be a conflict depending on how many hours you get taken on.
MAC is a VERY different company than 6 years ago- "THank you Ms Lauder"!
-that was sarcasm-

Anyhoo- what about freelancing with MAC?
You have control over your hrs and if you have a slow period you can still get 30 hrs in there.

For the regular interviews they dont care anymore if you are a great artist.
It doesnt mater that you even have a portfolio!!!!!
They want you to have retail skills.
Quote- "MU skills can be taught"
So when you go for te interview you have to show off that you can sell and are great at multi tasking..
Ugh.....typing all of this reminds me why I quit!

Good luck though.

Mar 29 06 12:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

double post

Mar 29 06 12:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ray Filipowicz

what is your retail experience? they're looking for retail people, not makeup artists

Mar 29 06 02:12 pm Link