Forums > General Industry > Contacting Under 18 Models...

Photographer

NWDigphoto

Federal Way, Washington, US

Is there a proper/recomended way to contact models who are under 18YO for assignments.

Regards

Jul 02 05 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Elizabeth Zusev

Seattle, Washington, US

I usually start with "Dear (Model) and Parent/Guardian."  Parents seem to appreciate it.

Jul 02 05 11:18 am Link

Model

newhall243

Rosedale, New York, US

Posted by Elizabeth Zusev: 
I usually start with "Dear (Model) and Parent/Guardian."  Parents seem to appreciate it. 

And I agree!!

Mother of Steph
Mary

Jul 02 05 11:26 am Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

Posted by Elizabeth Zusev: 

That's a great and professional answer!

Jul 02 05 11:27 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

First make sure the assignment is proper...

Jul 02 05 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Ascending Phoenix

Lexington, Kentucky, US

I will be working with my first MINOR Model Today.From here on MM.I sent her an email and asked her parents to contact me after viewing my sample images.If they felt comfortable with what I do.And that what I would shoot would obviously be AGE APROPRIATE.To contact me.

They have.And we all meet today for a Test Session/Meet and Greet.Good luck

Mike

Jul 02 05 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Yea, I mainly address the guardians. Though I normally don't shoot minors. But when I do, that's what I do.

Jul 02 05 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

I agree that the "socially acceptable" method would be to contact the parents first.

I don't.

I talk to the kid first. To me, since the kid is the one getting the pictures done, it seems MORE respectful to ask the kid what THEY think first. I like giving the kid the power to say no. As a child, I always appreciated that sort of thing - when adults spoke TO me and not around me.

If they like my stuff, and they want to shoot with me, THEN I will talk to the parents. And I always have a parent or guardian there during the shoot.

But, like I said, I think contacting the parents first is the more socially proper method.

Jul 02 05 12:39 pm Link

Model

s0ngs0fpraise

Los Angeles, California, US

ya, im 17 and whenever i go on a shoot, i have my dad there or something.
the last shoot i had though, my bf took me (hes 22) and the photographer emailed me the release form and i had my mom sign it.
my parents get a kick out of me doing this, and the photographers always talk to me first, and then once i plan eeverything out, i talk to my parents about it. ha

Jul 02 05 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

Posted by s0ngs0fpraise: 
the last shoot i had though, my bf took me (hes 22) and the photographer emailed me the release form and i had my mom sign it.
my parents get a kick out of me doing this, and the photographers always talk to me first, and then once i plan eeverything out, i talk to my parents about it. ha

That photographer is a moron, and just asking for trouble.  If the model is under 18, the parent/legal guardian needs to be present and sign the relase in person.

geesh . . .

Charlie

Jul 02 05 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I always contact the model first and suggest they have their mom bring them to town.  There's no way to contact the parents first mainly because most parents don't know their kids are posting on these sites until told.

Coincidently, I just contacted a 14-yr-old and 15-yr-old last week and shot the 14-yr-old last Friday.  The 15'er was all ready to roll but no word from her lately so I assume her mom quashed the idea.

Paul

Jul 02 05 11:45 pm Link

Model

Jessica Loren

Baltimore, Maryland, US

My mom has access to everything model related. I trust her judgement and she's been right on so far. We are buddies and she always let's me decide things and we usually agree. I have my own ideas and limits and of course, she's real happy about that! smile
She does my make-up and hair too so she definitely goes on all my shoots.
OK yeah, sometimes she plucks my nerves...lol BUT she's just doing her job.
I know what's out there but she knows more.

-Jess

Jul 02 05 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Simple. Write it the way you'd want someone to write to your daughter. Courteous, Polite and Professional.

Jul 02 05 11:54 pm Link

Model

TiffanyB

Clinton, Mississippi, US

I just recieved this email so it may help you:

Hi,
My name is .... and I would love to work with TiffanyB. Please have your parent contact me for further information if you are interested in working with me. You can see my work at:......
Sincerely,
It's that easy smile
XoXo
Tiff

Jul 02 05 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

The only way I would do a shoot with a minor without a parent/guardian present is to have *notarized* letter stating, in detail so there can be no mistakes, who the person chaperoning the minor is and clearly stating that that person is authorized to act on their stead regarding the photoshoot with me.
Anything else is asking for trouble.

Posted by s0ngs0fpraise: 

Jul 03 05 02:38 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Since we live in a society where experts estimate 1 in 4 girls  and 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused brfore their 18th birthday (source- Darkness To Light 7 Steps to preventing...child sexual abuse) photographers are either stupid or dangerous who contact minors without at the same time contacting the parents. Granted the way these model places work its impossible to know for certain that the parents read what we send, but not to do all in our power to address the parents is begging for trouble.

I wish there was a way for places like MM or OMP to prevent emails from being sent to minors. I don't know how it could happen. To OMP's credit there is a red warning that pops up when one tries to write to a minor. Its an effort, how effective I have no idea.

One charge of child abuse and your life is changed for ever and being innocent does not remove the stigma.

Minors are emotionally vulnerable and I think it is our responsibility to protect them at all possible costs. Don't take risks with kids - for their sakes as well as your own.

Either talk with the parents and have one present at a shoot or don't shoot minors.

And as for minors who lie about their age... that's a whole different problem, and a huge one.

Jul 04 05 06:52 pm Link

Model

SageBell

Portland, Oregon, US

many address to Janelle & parent, if they address it directly to Janelle I always reply starting with, Hi, this is Nina (Janelle's mom) and go from there

As long as your offer is above board, no matter how you address it initially, should be ok, and insist that a parent contact you, include your phone # too

You'd be suprised how many wannabe's are out there online, who's parent's don't know that they have a portfolio. 

Always insist to speak to a parent, insist they bring a parent, insist they bring the minor's id & the parent's photography both with the parent in the pic, then you have proof you did all you can.

Jul 04 05 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I've had a minor approach me asking for a shoot and I approached one on another modeling site.

The one who approached me is very naive. I've had to insist on her parents' presence and signed consent.

The one I have approached, I went through the manager's link, yet the girl is relaying messages from her mother. They are being cautious and asking for references which is reasonable in this day and age. Still, I expect to be working with her before the naive one...

Jul 12 05 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Posted by CharliesImages: 

Posted by s0ngs0fpraise: 

That photographer is a moron, and just asking for trouble.  If the model is under 18, the parent/legal guardian needs to be present and sign the relase in person.

geesh . . .

Charlie

exactly. and not that she does this, but I have known some underage rebelious girls have the photographer email a model release and the girl signs it just like moms signature and mom or dad don`t even know the shoot took place cause she is" going out with some friends for the day"
Mom or Dad sign it in my presence even if I have to go TO them to get it signed.

Aug 08 05 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
Simple. Write it the way you'd want someone to write to your daughter. Courteous, Polite and Professional.

Exactly. I have had parents select me specifically out of tons of others who contacted them based on the email or phone call I gave them.

Aug 08 05 12:35 am Link

Model

Smith

New York, New York, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 
I agree that the "socially acceptable" method would be to contact the parents first.

I don't.

I talk to the kid first. To me, since the kid is the one getting the pictures done, it seems MORE respectful to ask the kid what THEY think first. I like giving the kid the power to say no. As a child, I always appreciated that sort of thing - when adults spoke TO me and not around me.

If they like my stuff, and they want to shoot with me, THEN I will talk to the parents. And I always have a parent or guardian there during the shoot.

But, like I said, I think contacting the parents first is the more socially proper method.

I like this method the best. It really irritates me when a photographer talks to my parents first instead of me. I understand the reasons for it, of course, but I still prefer to set up my own shoots. My mom always comes with me though:)

Aug 08 05 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Imagine you have the sexiest 14 year old daughter in the world.
How would you want a photographer to address an email to her?

Aug 08 05 07:07 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Glamour Boulevard: 

Dumpster diving?

Aug 08 05 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Aug 08 05 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If the model contacts me first I always answer by asking them to have their parent call me.  (wonder why most of them don't call???)  If I contact the model first I address it to the model and the parents and I offer to call them to discuss (or they can call me).  I REQUIRE that I meet with the parent and model ahead of the shoot and I REQUIRE that the parent be present at the shoot (the entire shoot).  I make a copy of the parents id and attach it to the release.  Overkill?  Maybe, but I feel that it's not a lot to ask for to make sure everything is on the up and up.  I don't shoot a lot of juniors but I have shot several and no one has complained about the process yet.  I shoot age appropriate material and involve/consult the parent on poses. 

Aug 08 05 11:57 am Link

Model

Ashley Jaime

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't mind if a photographer contacts me and addresses me or my parent.We are here to network.Hopefully if undereage you already know the release is to be signed by a guardian.Even though we are young some of us are extremely professional.Don't let my age change your mind.

Aug 08 05 02:52 pm Link