Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > how to make hair look thicker

Model

Malice N Wonderland

New York, New York, US

I have a lot of hair, but it's fairly thin.  I was wondering what products people have used to make it appear thicker.  I've seen Bed Head's "Superstar" in stores which claims to make hair thicker.  At $15 a bottle I wanted to know if it actually worked before shelling out the cash.  Any opinions and suggestions?

Mar 29 06 04:32 pm Link

Model

Karina Kerr

Dunwoody, Georgia, US

okay.. I'm not a hair stylist YET - but I only have 2 more semesters. Products help.. especially volumizing tonics used on your roots before blowdrying.

ALSO - "teasing" also known as backbrushing also helps. If you don't want the "messy" look you get when you tease... just tease your under layers... then smooth out the top layer with a boarbristle brush smile

hope i helped smile

Mar 29 06 04:38 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

Like the previous quote stated, teasing will help. but if you are wondering about a hair product that claims to THICKEN the hair...

first of all be careful if your hair is colored. many volumizing/thickening products thicken hair by using high pH levels which open up the cuticles of the hair shaft(imagine scales on a fish, or shingles on a roof- that's what cuticles are for your hair) which indeed gives each strand a thicker appearance, but unfortunately if you color your hair, much of the artificial pigment is deposited underneath your cuticles -meaning in a nutshell, that product will cause your color to fade, not to mention strip your hair of moisture that is normally tucked away safely underneath the cuticles.

although many volumizing products use this older method of "thickening" many newer lines are comming out with volumizing products that thicken by pushing keratin/protien bonds and other reconstructive material into the cuticles, makeing the hair appear thicker, but also keeping the color and moisture in the hair.

now, i don't work with TIGI products at my salon so i wouldn't be able to tell you which method of thickening their products use, but i do know that the new KMS line (KMS California now, they revamped and reformulated the whole line!) carries volumizing products that use this newer, safer method to thicken the hair.

Hope this helps.

~Emily

Mar 29 06 08:51 pm Link

Model

Malice N Wonderland

New York, New York, US

That's a huge help.  I baby my hair in between sessions of horrible chemical abuse.  I definitely try to stay away from anything that might strip moisture from my hair.

Mar 30 06 01:41 pm Link