Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Goth make-up/hair/clothing

Model

Belle OHara

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Hey.  I know this is the stylist forum, but I figured I might have better luck asking here first.  I recently joined a gothic performing group called Grotesque Burlesque and need some help/advice with hair, make-up and clothing for this.  We don't get paid (we do it for the love of the stage and the local Goth community), so we don't have our own stylists naturally, though we help eachother out as much as we can.  I'm looking for fresh ideas for make-up and hair, and maybe some good sites where we can get these things without paying an arm and a leg.  The more bizzare and unusual, the better. Thanks in advance!
take care,
Belle

Mar 29 06 09:23 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

Belle OHara wrote:
Hey.  I know this is the stylist forum, but I figured I might have better luck asking here first.  I recently joined a gothic performing group called Grotesque Burlesque and need some help/advice with hair, make-up and clothing for this.  We don't get paid (we do it for the love of the stage and the local Goth community), so we don't have our own stylists naturally, though we help eachother out as much as we can.  I'm looking for fresh ideas for make-up and hair, and maybe some good sites where we can get these things without paying an arm and a leg.  The more bizzare and unusual, the better. Thanks in advance!
take care,
Belle

i always suggest having a stylist, but if you are on a buget, you could get some semi-proffessional stylist help at your local beauty/cosmetology school. these are students looking for live modles to practice on. usually thier prices are very reasonable. but remember, they are STUDENTS, and they are LEARNING. so don't expect top notch, but i would definately reccomend doing that over trying to color or cut your own hair at home.

~Emily Chen

Mar 29 06 09:29 pm Link

Model

Belle OHara

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Emily Chen wrote:

i always suggest having a stylist, but if you are on a buget, you could get some semi-proffessional stylist help at your local beauty/cosmetology school. these are students looking for live modles to practice on. usually thier prices are very reasonable. but remember, they are STUDENTS, and they are LEARNING. so don't expect top notch, but i would definately reccomend doing that over trying to color or cut your own hair at home.

~Emily Chen

Maybe I need to clarify what I'm asking...I tend to go off on tangents that can get confusing sometimes.  I'm in a Gothic performing group and am looking for some advice to help myself and the other girls expand our hair/make-up/clothing repertoire for shows.  We often have only a couple of hours to do hair and make-up for shows and in some interesting dressing rooms (we perform at venues all over the city).  We often wear wigs or fake hair pieces, eyelashes, etc and have elaborate make-up.  I'm looking for tips, tricks and inspiration for new looks for the shows.

Mar 29 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Gothic Beauty magazine might have some inspiration. Most large bookstores carry it.

xo
Siân Melton
http://www.alwaysmadeup.com

Mar 29 06 11:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Well sicne your part of a goth lovers group dont you have idea's? I often think of Gothic people as hightly creative and unique. There is a wack of goth models on this site why dont you check them out get ideas from them and ask them questions. you seam like a smart gal I  bet you can figure it out. smile
But I would sudgest BLACK smile

Mar 29 06 11:41 pm Link

Model

Belle OHara

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Yes, we are a highly unique and creative group, but that doesn't mean that we aren't always looking for new suggestions, tips, ideas or inspiration.  And when you have only a small amount of time to get ready before a show and no time to mess around with new ideas prior to a show due to work and rehersals, you tend to get stuck in a rut, and once your in that rut, it can be difficult to come up with new stuff, especially on short notice.

Mar 29 06 11:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Make Up the Design

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Goth is dark and moody.  Dont want to use black and want new tips??   Try using white...some say its the "new black".  The internet is a great place to get ideas from...researching is your best tool.  Not sure exactly what you're wanting from us......draw an anarchy symbol on yer forehead....spalsh blood on yourself (or blood type substance.....the red cross has turned down all my requests).

Mar 30 06 07:09 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Rae Deslich

Chicago, Illinois, US

Yeah...some of the suggestions in this thread are a bit, um, odd.

Not having seen your group, it's hard to suggest new things, since we don't know what you're alreayd doing! In general, checking out the portfolios of goth models who tend to do very high-quality work (Darenzia, Storm, Aprella, etc) will give you lots of good ideas.

I can give you two very general bits of advice, though; first of all, don't be afraid of color. I loooove it when the makeup colors matches the outfit or hair; it makes everything look very polished. So if you've got a red satin skirt, go for red eyeshadow and red lips. Also, using shades other than pink/red for rouge can give an interesting result; I've got a deathrock friend who uses black eyeshadow (very lightly applied, mind you) for cheek contour.

Second, a lot of goth girls have gotten, over the years, very used to doing their club makeup a certain way. When these girls start doing modeling or performance or whatever, they do the makeup the same...even if it doesn't necessarily suit the occaision or theme. More often than not it's things like always the same shape and amount of eyeliner, or always the same eyebrows, or always lining their lips the same way. Don't be afraid to ditch the cat-eyes (they're pretty cliche anyway) or the Divine eyebrows (speaking generally here, not about you in particular).. Mainstream makeup books can be quite useful in learning different shapes, styles, and application techniques for makeup; just take the idea and do it in a different color to spook it up a bit.

Mar 30 06 10:08 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Luis Rafael

New York, New York, US

Check out www.hottopic.com.  They are affordable and as goth as you can get.

Mar 30 06 10:19 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Luis Santiago wrote:

I sob. They are affordable, but not even close to as Goth as you can get.  See Rozz Williams and Siouxsie Sioux for as Goth you could, theoretically, get.

I would sooner suggest Voltaire's book "What is Goth?"  It's got a few different looks and is pretty funny in spots.  If nothing else, you can learn how to dance like a Goth (badly!)

Mar 31 06 12:23 am Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

Check out the Gothic & Lolita Bible?
http://www.blue-period.fsnet.co.uk/egl.html

This site has some scans of it. It's a slight deviation from typical goth as it's known here in the states but it definately has a following. And it's cute.

Mar 31 06 12:32 am Link

Hair Stylist

Luis Rafael

New York, New York, US

theda wrote:
I sob. They are affordable, but not even close to as Goth as you can get.  See Rozz Williams and Siouxsie Sioux for as Goth you could, theoretically, get.

I would sooner suggest Voltaire's book "What is Goth?"  It's got a few different looks and is pretty funny in spots.  If nothing else, you can learn how to dance like a Goth (badly!)

When I say "AS goth as you can get"  I mean for the price.  Ussually gothic clothing its expensive though beautiful  It sounds like she is looking for something cheap and wearable for someone that its not really into the gothic scene.  Hot Topic might be a good way to start.

Mar 31 06 10:11 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Look on MySpace for the porcelain twins profile. One of them, though damned if I can tell which one, is dating one of my friends. That's how I got to the profile so fast. They're burlesque performers/gals about town here in Portland. Can't tell you how many rockshows I've seen them at. Not all of it is what you'd call goth but their outfits are AWESOME. The downside is that they HAVE to be custom made but it should give you some source material to draw from.

+Edit+ If that's too hard, just go to their website it's at http://www.porcelaintwinz.com

Apr 05 06 05:48 am Link

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

OOO! Yay! I remember you telling me about this wink

Hmm, lots of black eye liner usually does the trick. Really out there, unusual stuff is what most people (including myself) usually do. Coloured shadow with black eyeliner. Hmm, the hair can be done in many different ways. It can be straightened, back-combed for a wild effect, have those dread fall things attached to a set of pony tails, lots to choose from. Gothic Beauty Magazine's website would be a good place to look. Google-ing "gothic" might give you a few looks as well.

Apr 05 06 05:53 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Luis Santiago wrote:
When I say "AS goth as you can get"  I mean for the price.  Ussually gothic clothing its expensive though beautiful  It sounds like she is looking for something cheap and wearable for someone that its not really into the gothic scene.  Hot Topic might be a good way to start.

Your local thrift store is can provide a wealth of goodies.  Goth-look clothing is not typically that expensive until you start to cross over with fetish or serious historical looks (the latter cannot really be found at Hot Topic anyway).

Apr 05 06 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Roz Martinez

Seattle, Washington, US

theda wrote:
[I would sooner suggest Voltaire's book "What is Goth?"  It's got a few different looks and is pretty funny in spots.  If nothing else, you can learn how to dance like a Goth (badly!)

Hahaha!  Voltaire rocks!

I like the idea of tying in some color all over.  By adding some colored ribbon trim to your thrift store finds and tying that in with eyeshadow and maybe ponyfalls with a few streaks of the same color, you could really have a nice look.

Apr 05 06 08:09 pm Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

Luis Santiago wrote:

Ah yes, "insta-goth.... just add black and a hot topic fishnet"...

*sarcasm*

I'd suggest mixing up your style a bit... Hot Topic isn't the devil, but if you're entire outfit is from there, people will notice that you're being a clone... mix up where you get your pieces from... and by the way, goth styling isn't just black...

Here's a good website full of online goff stores :-)

:http://www.darklinks.com/dshops2.html

Hope that helped... and please don't mind the sarcasm... its early and i'm tired

Apr 06 06 09:08 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

Carmilla wrote:
OOO! Yay! I remember you telling me about this wink

Hmm, lots of black eye liner usually does the trick. Really out there, unusual stuff is what most people (including myself) usually do. Coloured shadow with black eyeliner. Hmm, the hair can be done in many different ways. It can be straightened, back-combed for a wild effect, have those dread fall things attached to a set of pony tails, lots to choose from. Gothic Beauty Magazine's website would be a good place to look. Google-ing "gothic" might give you a few looks as well.

I won a free subscription to that rag but it interests me not at all.

Apr 06 06 02:13 pm Link