Forums > Photography Talk > KODAK----No more DSLR's

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

More breaking news from inside the imaging industry.

Kodak informed dealers in June that the company has discontinued the DCS Pro SLR/n and DCS Pro SLR/c bodies. Remaining inventory, as well as cameras previouly purchased, will be fully supported through warranties, tech support, and any necessary software/firmware upgrades through the end of "2008" (after that you're shit outa luck). Kodak's decision was based on "old" DSLR technology and nothing new under development.

Kodak has made a decision to only concentrate on the consumer grade digital cameras and digicams at this time. (They hold the #1 position in sales of consumer digital cameras)

Jul 02 05 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

...most likely profits $$$ drive big yellow's marketing decisions here.  They remain a big supplier of digital sensors for medium format digital backs.....

Jul 02 05 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

True.

Both of these camera's use the same full frame, 24mmx36mm CMOS sensor that delivers a top end resolution of 14 megapixels. The full frame sensor allows it to use lenses at their true focal length, with no magnification.

Jul 02 05 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

I thought that news what out before or am I thinking of something different.

Jul 02 05 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

Could have leaked out somewhere, happens. They only announced it to dealers a few weeks ago. I used to be a camera dealer so I still get the dealer industry news, which is only meant for dealers.

Jul 02 05 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Our news services are better at the dog run,  we got all the business information. 
Do you really think all we do is just sniff butts all day?

Jul 02 05 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

BarryH

Taipei City, Taipei City, Taiwan

Maybe you're thinking of the other news-- about a month ago Kodak announced it was discontinuing its black & white paper.  But it's all in the same direction, away from more serious photographers and toward the casual snapshooter.

Jul 02 05 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Posted by Glamour Studio /Gary: 
, will be fully supported through warranties, tech support, and any necessary software/firmware upgrades through the end of "2008" (after that you're shit outa luck).

if you think the current digital rig you have will be worth keeping by the end of 2008, I have some laptops from 2001 to sell you.  Unlike film rigs the only thing that'll be worth hanging on to will be the glass for the front of your camera, especially if it's a good brand of lens.  Speed, memory, and image size will progress at a fairly quick pace (probably not like Moore's law) but way faster than most folks went from a Nikon F1 to an F5.  The biggest issue sensor manufacturers have is that above 8 meg, the pixels decrease in size enough, that they loose the ability to "take in" light, without some serious algorithm crunching.

Jul 02 05 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
Our news services are better at the dog run,  we got all the business information. 
Do you really think all we do is just sniff butts all day?

Naw, I figured you took time out for some ball licking.. Oh sorry, forgot you have no balls...  LOL!!!  :-D

Jul 03 05 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

that doesnt keep them from performing the related acts Keith. :p

Oh far as kodak go, they may have done some nice sensors for the digital backs, but their professional DSLR were far from professional, end result quality was quite less than I exptected for the price range. Also their aggressive noise reduction was a pain in the ass, especially when you cant turn it off.

Jul 03 05 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by BarryH: 
Maybe you're thinking of the other news-- about a month ago Kodak announced it was discontinuing its black & white paper.  But it's all in the same direction, away from more serious photographers and toward the casual snapshooter.

[url="http://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=2305" ] ,Tuesday, 31 May 2005,
Kodak has today confirmed that the DCS Pro SLR/n and DCS Pro SLR/c digital SLRs have been discontinued and will no longer be manufacturered. In our conversation with Kodak Pro we were assured that existing owners will continue to be supported through 2008 and that this will include firmware and Photodesk updates if required. ......(16:10 GMT)Tuesday, 31 May 2005
[/url]

Jul 03 05 05:19 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

Posted by BarryH: 

[url="http://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=2305" ] ,Tuesday, 31 May 2005,
Kodak has today confirmed that the DCS Pro SLR/n and DCS Pro SLR/c digital SLRs have been discontinued and will no longer be manufacturered. In our conversation with Kodak Pro we were assured that existing owners will continue to be supported through 2008 and that this will include firmware and Photodesk updates if required. ......(16:10 GMT)Tuesday, 31 May 2005
[/url]

That does it! I'm cancelling that stupid magazine even if it is free. Even dogs get the news first.

Jul 03 05 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Those Kodak pro DSLRs were never that great in my opinion.  Too overpriced.   Plus, the market is rabid with advancement and product turnover.  Definitely a hard market to survive in... 

Jul 03 05 07:21 am Link