Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Why is it that MUAs all say the same thing ?

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

I am a photographer and every MUA says the same thing to me when I ask them how they like to do there makeup on the models? They all say it should look like they don't have any makeup on ? Then by the time we are done the model will have some color and eye makeup and lip gloss. Don't get me wrong I like a model to have color but they never end up looking like they have no makeup.. I just think it's a little funny..

I learned a long time ago to never shoot if you can help it without a pro MUA..

Mike

Mar 30 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

When I interview my MUA's I always ask what they want to do most.
All pro's know how to do that light beautiful look because the agencies all usually want it so to pay the bills they do that kind of makeup.
Realizing this I always tell them as we change looks I want them to let themselves go and really expand what they want to do with the model, building up slowly to the final artistic vision they want to show.
It happens best on a relaxed, professional and fun set. It sounds to me that your set is such a set and the artists feel that they can expand and be free to put on the makeup they feel.
Of course this is a problem if you need them to be light and airy so communication is key.
David

Mar 30 06 05:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Make Up the Design

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Glad you always use a Professional!!!  yay team!!!
Look like they are not wearing any make up.....doesnt mean that they cant have blush on or lip gloss or color....I think the idea here is to see the model and not the make up.  Basically...you dont want to see where the make up starts and ends.  Whats that commercial...."maybe its maybeline"  (dont go out runnin to buy maybeline).
However...in my opinion...sometimes you DO want to see the make up.....I tire easily of the natural pretty look.  But this does not mean that the model should sport "racing stripes"  (make up lingo for 80's style bush).
If the goal of all your make up artists is to make the model look pretty and like they are wearing no make up.....gimmie a call...we can take a trip outside the box.  OooooOoh....pretty!

Mar 30 06 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

CaliModels

Los Angeles, California, US

Not being an expert myself...But, if you want a natural look, it's called beauty. If the model has a clean look to start, then you may get better results. However, if the model has blemishes and scars, then you may not get as natural as you want.

Mar 30 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Thos Damn Yankees

Well, I agree that an MUA is or can be valuable. But to be honest with you, when a model is naturally beautiful, your work is 90% there - the rest of the magic can unfold in retouching.  Most competant pro models are quite good with their own make up and I find anymore that I rarely need one for the type of images I tend to create.
Just my two cents...
Mark

Mar 30 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

About using retouching for makeup. I have shot with film for so long and getting the results right w/o having to retouch is something I try to do. Retouching is needed but I would rather hire or work TFP with an artist than spend party time in photoshop.
I have had 2 situations that would have been disastrous if not for having a pro MUA on hand.
One the model had surgery scars and the other the guy got himself a serious sunburn the day before - face and chest- luckily the MUA had theater makeup which covered it all perfectly. I still would have been trying to get rid of that red in photoshop lol

When you interview the MUA I guess looking for the wildest and crative would be of help besides of course being able to do the beautiful look because situations arise that one would need to be able to rebound from and handle.

Mar 30 06 06:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Make Up the Design

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

CaliModels wrote:
Not being an expert myself...But, if you want a natural look, it's called beauty. If the model has a clean look to start, then you may get better results. However, if the model has blemishes and scars, then you may not get as natural as you want.

I'd have to disagree....and this is why...
  I've worked with a few models whose skin was less than clear.....we're talking acne, acne scar and what not.  A combination of proper make up and lighting (the photographer used a soft light) and she looked amazing...even close up....would have never known and she looked natural (no caked on make up). 
psssst....her pic is in my profile...i can tell you which one if that helps you.

And conversly....I've worked with gorgeous girls who just dont know how to pose or about facial expressions and their beauty doesnt end up comming thru in the pics.

Mar 30 06 06:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

That Look Photo wrote:
I am a photographer and every MUA says the same thing to me when I ask them how they like to do there makeup on the models? They all say it should look like they don't have any makeup on ? Then by the time we are done the model will have some color and eye makeup and lip gloss. Don't get me wrong I like a model to have color but they never end up looking like they have no makeup.. I just think it's a little funny..

I learned a long time ago to never shoot if you can help it without a pro MUA..

Mike

umm one question did you want the whole no make-up make-up look?? cuz if you dont want them to look like theres any make-up on thier face you should stipulate that. I just did a no make -up make -up shot on a 14 year old girl and we wanted to see her face, her skin she had the most beautiful freckesl but had some acne too and dark circles under her eyes, (pale transulsent skin just like me smile ) so I had to apply make-up to make her skin look flwaless but sheer enogh to see her freckes. I applied the smallest amount of blush just to bring out her natural glow and to hightlight her face. I also evened out her lip tone and made her look stunning and yet not made up. Still age approprite.
I think that when working with a make-up artist you need to be specific unless you tell them they have free rain. everyone has a differnt idea of what natural is. Some think natural is red lips, not me but i have seen this happen. I think natural can have alittle small amount of eyes and light lips and some blush, if you dont hightlight and conture the face will look flat and the result wont be as good. but thats just me..Mandy of Deadly Desing Make-up Artistry

Mar 30 06 09:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup By Diana Marie

North Valley Stream, New York, US

i think that MUA's should have diversity on all of their looks. They should meet with the photog. or speak to them prior to the shoot to determine the exact look wanted & achieved. Professional MUA's should all know that. Diversity is key. look at their portfolio and make sure every person looks different. Every person is different in some way or another. If we make them all look the same then they're like mannequins (like the video I just had to do... they NEEDED to be mannequins)which should tell the person viewing it that they only know one look. Natural is great when the mood is right and the attire & background fit the look. Many things are taken into consideration for one person on a shoot. Pro is the way to go!!! You need to know your stuff.

Mar 30 06 09:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ivy Lam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mark Wangerin wrote:
Well, I agree that an MUA is or can be valuable. But to be honest with you, when a model is naturally beautiful, your work is 90% there - the rest of the magic can unfold in retouching.  Most competant pro models are quite good with their own make up and I find anymore that I rarely need one for the type of images I tend to create.
Just my two cents...
Mark

As a professional MUA, I have a photo background. And its really important to put makeup on a model to enhance their features, to bounce light and darken shadows where its important. Esp with digital cameras where everything seems to flaten out a little bit.

I do "digital Makeup" myself and I think that retouching is very important. But makeup sometimes creates a mood and can enhance emotion on the face. just like your avatar:)

Mar 30 06 09:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

it really all depends on the model's skin and features. if the models' skin has poor texture  and she has anorexic eyebrows, its going to take more to correct these.

sometimes a no makeup look can entail a lot. usually it is mascara, browscara, cream cheeks (either liquid bronzer, cream blush or my new favorite the tarte cheekstains), lipgloss, spot foundation and spot concealer. and that would be for an exceptionally clean look in natural lighting. also you still have to consider shadows and highlights.

i find that a lot of times photogs and muas have a bit of a language barrier: i.e. when a photog tells you "get crazy, go all out" and what they really want is a smokey eye and a pink lip. so it is best to find a makeup artist who has pictures in their port of natural beauty makeup.

i dont agree that "everybody should look different" because to be honest, most commercial jobs want the SAME look. so i might have 3 different models that have very similar makeup.

in this industry its not so much about variety as it is precision and talent.

Mar 30 06 09:50 pm Link