Forums > Photography Talk > Is This Boudoir Diva's Book/Package worth it?

Photographer

CanonGuy

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

bump

Dec 25 08 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Gil Rivera

New York, New York, US

CanonGuy wrote:
My wife wants the Boudoir Diva's Bad -A** Guide to Boudoir Photography

http://www.theboudoirdivas.com/blog/?page_id=11

Does anyone Have it and if so is it worth it?

Nah, Go to Barnes and Noble and you'll find books on it for cheaper.

Dec 25 08 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Olds Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Having looked at their website I think the primary goal of this book and their strategy is not too necessarily teach you how to take boudoir pictures (although that's part of it) but to teach you how they do their business.  I'm not for or against this book or these women but it seems that a lot of us as photographers struggle with the business side of things more than the photography.

Kudos to these women if they can make money selling their ideas.  Making a living at photography is not the easiest thing to do!  If you can find your niche you are one up on a lot of struggling photographers.  Let us know if there is anything valuable in this book because it sounds like you are going to buy it anyway.

(also I don't blame them for not wanting to sell their ideas to photographers in their own area for fear of direct competition)

Dec 25 08 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Eduardo Frances

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

hmm after seeing the "promotional" video I would be reluctant to learn marketing from that person........

Dec 25 08 05:58 pm Link

Model

Brandy_Lynn

Lexington, Kentucky, US

I make an excellent living, and no way would I buy that. They are out of their effin minds.

Dec 25 08 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Never saw a 30 day money back guarantee on the site, or any pages to get a feel for the text, just a book held by a woman in a video with poor lighting. This is just like some one posting a link to promote their product. What was that famous quote " a sucker born every second"

Dec 25 08 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Focal point of light

Bellevue, Nebraska, US

I bought the Book off of ebay for $40. It not a bad book, but I would have very upset with it if I payed the full price. As the title states it is a posing book, NO LIGHTING. There are better and cheaper books out their. Hell, you can buy poser 8 software for as much as the book list for.

I'll keep it, so it not a bad book just a very poor vaule.

May 16 11 05:58 am Link

Photographer

INTROSPECTION Lab

CLEARWATER BEACH, Florida, US

Try Sandy Puc's  UKANDU Site, she has a pretty good posing guide ($49) and some very nice marketing materials for Boudoir.  They include postcards and Email Blast templates that are great looking.  Went to the Divas seminar when they first started, the term Internet Whores was originated just for them.
Good Luck
http://www.ukandu.com/search.asp?keywor … earch.y=11

May 16 11 09:19 am Link

Photographer

BR3 Photography

Roseville, California, US

I just heard about this book for the first time and WOW, I gotta say, NO photography book is worth that much! Silly! Glad to see others who have read it dont think its worth the money either.

Sep 30 11 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Gerhart

San Antonio, Texas, US

Just look at the splash page of their web site. Anyone who refers to photographers as photog is not to be taken seriously.

There are many other resources available. My experience has been that you can read all you want but without the experience of doing there is no knowledge gained.

Sep 30 11 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

btdsgn wrote:
The images they show on the website look pretty crappy to me so I can't imagine they're going to teach you anything more than how to take crappy pictures?

I wonder if that's a result of their $11 "Boudoir Action" for Photoshop.

Sep 30 11 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Downtown Pro Photo

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

they are far better at marketing than they are at photographing.  No way is the book worth it even at $2.00.  If you want bad lighting and poor posing, you can learn that for free.

They charge so much for a session because they got themselves on talk shows, and people think that anything on TV must be good.

Sep 30 11 08:10 pm Link