Forums > Photography Talk > paying the model/photograpgher

Model

jeskav

Victorville, California, US

when would you say it is appropriate to pay either?

i do have rates and when photograpghers pay me i give them all of the pictures if we do tfp i exspect my images!!!
i have never paid a photograpgher the only reason i would want to is for some high resolution pictures when they provide wardrobe and make-up

Jul 03 05 04:37 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

The only time I pay a model is when I have a paying job and the client gives me carte-blanche to pick my own model... then I would hire someone I have worked with before and who fits the needs of the client.

Other than that I need to be paid since I will be putting and average of 2 hours of work per each hour shooting to get her images ready for printing and posting, not to mention the wear and tear on equipment (camera, lights, computer), wardrobe laundering/replacement (if applicable), time spent settign up and tearing down, and the cost of the media I give the model her images on.

Jul 03 05 04:52 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Hey Jes, so when you coming down to SD so we can shoot, eh?

Jul 03 05 05:12 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by jeskav: 

i do have rates and when photograpghers pay me i give them all of the pictures if we do tfp i exspect my images!!!
i have never paid a photograpgher the only reason i would want to is for some high resolution pictures when they provide wardrobe and make-up

When would you say it is appropriate to use the search funtion?
When would you say it is appropriate to post in many separate forums with the same question?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?p … ad_id=3757

Jul 03 05 05:14 am Link

Model

jeskav

Victorville, California, US

ouch deal with it

Jul 03 05 05:47 am Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

My quesiton is why waste the time writing that to just rub it in........

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

Posted by jeskav: 

When would you say it is appropriate to post in many separate forums with the same question?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?p … ad_id=3757

Jul 03 05 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

This is the actual end of a MM discussion via the messaging function from today:

ME

I think it is a bad idea to shoot with you on Thursday. I'm sorry, that's just my gut feeling.

You aren't represented by an agency and there is no client involved, yet you want money to model. That's stupid. It would be unprofessional of me to pay you. If there is no client noone should get paid.

You are 16 and you don't want your parents at the shoot. That's a bad idea.

Your response to something I said was "whatever."

I don't think we click at all and that will show up in the pictures. The shoot is off.

- Ched

MODEL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
you have a good life ... and see if that .......philosyphy of yours will take you any where in this industry ...!
hahahahahaha ..............................

So, yeah, I don't pay models, and the ones who ask for money can go to hell.

Jul 03 05 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

16 - You playing with FIRE>>>>>

I woudl never shoot anyone under 18 and 18y/o can be a pain also..

Posted by Ched: 
This is the actual end of a MM discussion via the messaging function from today:

ME

I think it is a bad idea to shoot with you on Thursday. I'm sorry, that's just my gut feeling.

You aren't represented by an agency and there is no client involved, yet you want money to model. That's stupid. It would be unprofessional of me to pay you. If there is no client noone should get paid.

I don't think we click at all and that will show up in the pictures. The shoot is off.

- Ched

MODEL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
you have a good life ... and see if that .......philosyphy of yours will take you any where in this industry ...!

Jul 03 05 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Well, I'm trying to get into high fashion work, so my portfolio needs to have at least a few of them in it.

I know some pretty responsible 16 year olds. This one is obviously an idiot though.

Jul 03 05 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Actually I had a similar conversation with her, and I am *amazed* at the number of photogs kissing this little girl's butt.
Just her attitude is enough to turn anyone off, with her "I'm European, and you Americans need to grow up" thing...

Posted by Ched: 
Well, I'm trying to get into high fashion work, so my portfolio needs to have at least a few of them in it.

I know some pretty responsible 16 year olds. This one is obviously an idiot though.

Jul 05 05 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Low Tek Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Wow, that model is up for a very rude awakening about how the world works when she turns 18. If a model ever contacts me with more than 2 spelling and grammatical errors in the same sentence I just stop reading.

What's with her doing all of the underwear and implied shoots at 16? I hope those photographer's have a parent's signature on that release form...

Posted by Ched: 

MODEL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Jul 05 05 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There are some people I wouldn't even work with if they paid me....no matter HOW "hot" they are--or think they are.

If you have an attitude OR an ego, game over.

Jul 05 05 02:09 pm Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Posted by Ched: 

ME

- Ched

MODEL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Ched this really happened? lmfao! she obviously has no eye for a great talent. i like your philosophy

Jul 05 05 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

I can see two obvious situations:

1.  If a client is ultimately picking up the tab, or there is some other reasonable assurance of the images generating income;

2.  If a model or photographer is just starting out, and wants to get a jump-start by paying someone with a recognized name in the business... that way they have a big name in their portfolio right from the start;

Beyond that, it's capitalism in action, a combination of supply and demand and how badly one party wants something.

Jul 05 05 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

Very very few of the models on here should be pd.
Sites like these,
have really changed the nature of the game:

Girls were much more likely in the past to find a photog. and pay them,
now with everyone on-line-TFCD situations running rampant,
why should a hot model pay?
There's too many of us fools willing to shoot her for free.
If you do get that hot model however---odds are higher,
your shot will look hotter.
So,
in the end.....no one gets pd. but cool shots are had by all.

I make my money from headshots and wedding/portraits-PERIOD.
Sometimes (rarely) a model will shell out $500/and I'll shoot her all day.
But it's rare.
Personally,
I don't think the model who posted this---should be pd. ever,
but that's just my opinion.

Jul 05 05 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Hehe - so if no one get's paid, why is it so many people want to go into this business? Must be the testosterone in all of us yikes)))

Jul 05 05 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

Yup,
and hey---it keeps us young and creative.
That's my attitude on it.
Some of my best/most popular shots have been tests.
No monies exchanged.
B

Jul 05 05 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

ALL of my shots are tests... yikes)

I agree totally - and it keeps the pressure from everybody. And I like the attitude...sounds like mine...

Jul 05 05 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I pay models to shoot. I also don't shoot unless I have a client. If a client brings thier own model, great. If they want me to provide the model, MUA, hairstylist, craft services, etc. I do that as well, for a nominal fee. That's how I get a lot of my catalog work. Clients can have a location shoot in Hawaii for a lot less money than they would spend on sending down a crew because I, or more accurately, my secretary, makes all the arrangements for them.

I don't do TFP. I trade time for time.

If a model wants me to shoot her and she's someone who has a look I think I can use later, I have her scheduled in. Basically, if I work for her for 3 hours, she owes me 3 hours of comp time. In that way, I am able to call upon her when I have a catalog gig, and pocket the extra money from that gig. I've even told models that if they want to, they can bring their own CF card and I will shoot that for them, so I don't even have copies of their photos.

I am the photo whore. Leave the money on the dresser on your way out.

Jul 05 05 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Brian,

I like the way you think.  I also pay models to shoot, but then sell the images as fine art prints to collectors. Over 1700 prints sold on Ebay since 2000.

Jul 05 05 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Ascending Phoenix

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Posted by Brent Burzycki: 

16 - You playing with FIRE>>>>>

I woudl never shoot anyone under 18 and 18y/o can be a pain also..

15yr old Model I would have never considered in the past..

NEVER SAY NEVER..

Her family was great adn treated me like family.Signed a Minor release.very productive opportunity

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pics.php?id=3073

Posted by Ched: 

ME

- Ched

MODEL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Jul 05 05 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by Ascending Phoenix: 

15yr old Model I would have never considered in the past..

NEVER SAY NEVER..

Her family was great adn treated me like family.Signed a Minor release.very productive opportunity

It depends on what you want to do.

Jul 05 05 06:17 pm Link