Forums > Events > Eastern State Penitentiary PA Group Shoot

Makeup Artist

Linda Koch-Kious

Antwerp, Ohio, US

dA-gA Photo Editing wrote:
When I asked about shooting there the price I got was at least $1000 and it went up based on no. of people in the crew. Expect to be paying total in the 1000's easily.

I saw the price for commercial shoots but Iam wondering if it maybe a little less for noncommercial.

Also that is way we starting the entry fee at 30-40 dollars per person.

Jan 23 09 08:42 am Link

Photographer

MEK Photography

Westminster, Maryland, US

Linda Kious wrote:

I saw the price for commercial shoots but Iam wondering if it maybe a little less for noncommercial.

Also that is way we starting the entry fee at 30-40 dollars per person.

The problem with most places (at least where permits are necessary) is that when you're shooting models, it's automatically considered commercial.  I would check with them to see what they consider commercial and non-commercial.

Jan 23 09 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Lori Mann

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

I was just there meeting with one of the administrators of ESP to talk about doing one of my workshops there.  Unfortunately, for me, it is not gonna pan out for doing a workshop.  The $1000 price seemed to be pretty locked in even though it was for a workshop and not a commercial gig.  But the bigger problem was the $1000 price covers the use of 1 cell block, and some surrounding outdoor space.  Be aware that the price is not for the whole place.  The rest of the place, all the other cell blocks, etc., are open to the public for tours every day of the year, and you cannot shoot where the public will be. So again, that price covers the use of only one cell block.  And the reason I decided that would not work for one of my workshops at least, is that the cell blocks are long but very narrow.  You could not possibly have more than 2 photogs, each with a model working in one cell block without being in each others pictures.  There wouldn't even be room for 100 people (like you are talking about) to stand in there, let alone shoot.  You will definittely have the use of some of the outdoor spaces as well, however, although the public will be walking around, so if that works for you to spread out all over then it might work for you. 

Also be aware that there are no bathrooms - only porta-potties - so you need to figure in a staging area in the cell block for models to layout their wardrobes, change their clothes, mua's to work, photogs to lay their gear down, etc. 

On the up side though - for those that are interested - it is only $500 for the day (again for one cell block) for 1-10 people to shoot there.  So I plan on grabbing one or two other photogs, a few models, and a mua, and splitting that price.  That then becomes a workable price and a workable number of people.  Something for you guys to consider.  It would probably be worth it, cuz the place is frickin' amazing!

xoxo
Lori

Jan 23 09 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Darker-Side of-Midnight

Southfield, Michigan, US

Lori Mann wrote:
I was just there meeting with one of the administrators of ESP to talk about doing one of my workshops there.  Unfortunately, for me, it is not gonna pan out for doing a workshop.  The $1000 price seemed to be pretty locked in even though it was for a workshop and not a commercial gig.  But the bigger problem was the $1000 price covers the use of 1 cell block, and some surrounding outdoor space.  Be aware that the price is not for the whole place.  The rest of the place, all the other cell blocks, etc., are open to the public for tours every day of the year, and you cannot shoot where the public will be. So again, that price covers the use of only one cell block.  And the reason I decided that would not work for one of my workshops at least, is that the cell blocks are long but very narrow.  You could not possibly have more than 2 photogs, each with a model working in one cell block without being in each others pictures.  There wouldn't even be room for 100 people (like you are talking about) to stand in there, let alone shoot.  You will definittely have the use of some of the outdoor spaces as well, however, although the public will be walking around, so if that works for you to spread out all over then it might work for you. 

Also be aware that there are no bathrooms - only porta-potties - so you need to figure in a staging area in the cell block for models to layout their wardrobes, change their clothes, mua's to work, photogs to lay their gear down, etc. 

On the up side though - for those that are interested - it is only $500 for the day (again for one cell block) for 1-10 people to shoot there.  So I plan on grabbing one or two other photogs, a few models, and a mua, and splitting that price.  That then becomes a workable price and a workable number of people.  Something for you guys to consider.  It would probably be worth it, cuz the place is frickin' amazing!

xoxo
Lori

I could handle that I already am a member..lol  that was only 30

Jan 23 09 12:07 pm Link

Model

KaraMocha

New York, New York, US

I'm very interested in attending... Can't wait to hear more on the details and information!!!

Jan 23 09 01:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Linda Koch-Kious

Antwerp, Ohio, US

Lori Mann wrote:

xoxo
Lori

They said they would work wioth us so I will see what they say on monday.

Jan 23 09 01:27 pm Link

Model

Lynn Louise

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

EA Photographics wrote:
Depending on the dates and cost, I am definitely in!!!

Yipee!!

Jan 23 09 02:15 pm Link

Model

Tia

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I'm interested..

Jan 23 09 09:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Linda Koch-Kious

Antwerp, Ohio, US

Here is the list of locations but not all will probably be able for the shoot:

1. Facade
2. Front Tower
3. Administration Building Office
4. Synagogue
5. Cellblock 7
6. Cellblock 12
7. Al Capone's Cell
8. Chaplain's Office
9. Rotunda
10. Central Guard Tower
11. Chapel
12. Kitchen
13. Dining Hall
14. Cellblock 4
15. Exercise Yard
16. Baseball Diamond
17. Hospital
18. Outside the Operating Room
19. Death Row
20. Outside the Cellblocks

Jan 24 09 06:13 am Link

Makeup Artist

Linda Koch-Kious

Antwerp, Ohio, US

Will calll ESP tomoorrow and hope to be able to post all details by tommorrow night.  I am going to try and rent all 19 areas of ESP.

Jan 25 09 07:01 am Link

Photographer

JRSlater

Wilton, Maine, US

It would be cool if you could get use of Al's cell.

https://jrslater.smugmug.com/photos/386538380_y8gbF-S-1.jpg

Jan 25 09 11:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

Linda Koch-Kious

Antwerp, Ohio, US

JRSlater wrote:

I think they rope it off but I will ask.

Jan 25 09 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Darker-Side of-Midnight

Southfield, Michigan, US

The excitement builds........

Jan 26 09 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Studio-X

Detroit, Michigan, US

i am 100% in if this goes through. i have some favorite rooms i would kill to shoot in! esp is amazing.

Jan 26 09 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Corwin Prescott II

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

JRSlater wrote:

You can not enter Al Capone's cell it is blocked off and can only be viewed, same for the barbers chair, death row, and the majority of the cells.

Last time I worked with them the rates for renting the place out where astronomical, not to mention the amount of places you aren't allowed to shoot at, staff and security following you around, no nudes, no fetish, no heat, no power, and extra charges based on the number of people, and items you planned on bringing with you.

even bringing a tripod was an extra 20 dollar fee...

Jan 26 09 10:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Linda Koch-Kious

Antwerp, Ohio, US

I will call them today, ran out of time yesterday.  They say they wil work with us so I hope they do and we can pull this off.  I am really excited.  If this one pans out then I will check in to an ohio prison with awesome history.

Jan 27 09 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Studio-X

Detroit, Michigan, US

Linda Kious wrote:
I will call them today, ran out of time yesterday.  They say they wil work with us so I hope they do and we can pull this off.  I am really excited.  If this one pans out then I will check in to an ohio prison with awesome history.

the ohio prison is much more reasonable on pricing. also there is a nice one you can rent for much cheaper in west viriginia.

Jan 27 09 07:52 am Link

Model

M0D3L BOI W3S

count me in also i amgoin 2 kill this shoot....wats catpool??

Jan 27 09 11:33 am Link

Model

Sagara Gitane

I am very, very interested.  I also have designs and costumes that I may be able to throw into the mix.

Jan 27 09 12:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Linda Koch-Kious

Antwerp, Ohio, US

Been playing Phone Tag with ESP, Hope to talk to them today.

Jan 28 09 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Laura Dark Photography

Columbus, Ohio, US

Studio-X wrote:

the ohio prison is much more reasonable on pricing. also there is a nice one you can rent for much cheaper in west viriginia.

The Mansfield Prison is IMPOSSIBLE to do group shoots at.  Many many many have tried and all have failed.

Jan 28 09 05:20 am Link

Photographer

BandW

Newton, New Jersey, US

I would like to go too!

Jan 28 09 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

Linda Kious wrote:
Been playing Phone Tag with ESP, Hope to talk to them today.

Hope everything goes alright! : )

Jan 28 09 06:35 am Link

Photographer

JRSlater

Wilton, Maine, US

Corwin Prescott II wrote:
You can not enter Al Capone's cell it is blocked off and can only be viewed, same for the barbers chair, death row, and the majority of the cells.

Last time I worked with them the rates for renting the place out where astronomical, not to mention the amount of places you aren't allowed to shoot at, staff and security following you around, no nudes, no fetish, no heat, no power, and extra charges based on the number of people, and items you planned on bringing with you.

even bringing a tripod was an extra 20 dollar fee...

True, it is blocked off, but it would make a pretty cool room to shoot in wouldn't it?

Jan 28 09 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Eric Scott

Washington, New Jersey, US

I'd be interested

Jan 28 09 09:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Linda Koch-Kious

Antwerp, Ohio, US

I sent a detailed message so I hope to know something this week.  Just can't seem to catch Brett on the phone.

Jan 28 09 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

bmiSTUDIO

Morristown, Vermont, US

Good luck. I've looked into group shoots there. Once they know anyone in the group makes a penny as a model, photographer, MUA, etc. they will consider your shoot commercial and charge you accordingly. I tried to convince them that the shoot itself was not a commercial shoot, but that doesn't matter to them. And they will confine you to certain locations because there are public tours that will cause many parts of the place to be off limits. You can have the run of the place I think after hours, but then it's dark and you have no electricity for basic lighting needs. The commercial rates are designed for high end productions that provide everything necessary to pull off a shoot. Unless you know some way of convincing them otherwise they are pretty firm in their policies.

Jan 28 09 03:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Linda Koch-Kious

Antwerp, Ohio, US

BMI Studio wrote:
Good luck. I've looked into group shoots there. Once they know anyone in the group makes a penny as a model, photographer, MUA, etc. they will consider your shoot commercial and charge you accordingly. I tried to convince them that the shoot itself was not a commercial shoot, but that doesn't matter to them. And they will confine you to certain locations because there are public tours that will cause many parts of the place to be off limits. You can have the run of the place I think after hours, but then it's dark and you have no electricity for basic lighting needs. The commercial rates are designed for high end productions that provide everything necessary to pull off a shoot. Unless you know some way of convincing them otherwise they are pretty firm in their policies.

They said they woud wok with us so once I accually talk to brett we will have to wait and see what he says.

Jan 29 09 05:15 am Link

Photographer

Wolffoto

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

I'm interested!  Obviously the schedule makes it a guaranteed IN.  Sounds like a blast.

Jan 29 09 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Nubian Studio

Count us in - photographer and two models.

Jan 29 09 07:26 pm Link

Model

-Briana-

San Diego, California, US

this sounds sooo fun. too bad im allll the way in Cali sad

Jan 29 09 07:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Linda Koch-Kious

Antwerp, Ohio, US

-Briana- wrote:

I think there was another from there interested.  Look throught the thread maybe you guys could work something out.

Jan 30 09 05:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

Linda Koch-Kious

Antwerp, Ohio, US

Gonna make another call today, cross your figures I get to talk to a person and not a machine.

Jan 30 09 05:22 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

JRSlater wrote:
True, it is blocked off, but it would make a pretty cool room to shoot in wouldn't it?

Yes, it would... :-)

https://journalpix.com/ESP/DBP-ESPShoot-032605-0063.jpg

(PS: unused outtake because of the shadows)

Jan 30 09 05:32 am Link

Photographer

Darker-Side of-Midnight

Southfield, Michigan, US

-Briana- wrote:

planes..trains....and automobiles

Jan 30 09 05:32 am Link

Photographer

S and R Images

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I'm interested,depends on the date

Jan 30 09 05:42 am Link

Photographer

Darker-Side of-Midnight

Southfield, Michigan, US

JRSlater wrote:

yes it would

https://www.dennisonjones.com/ebay/photoshoppedgirlin.jpg

Jan 30 09 05:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Linda Koch-Kious

Antwerp, Ohio, US

Finaly heard back from Brett at ESP, we can pull this off but to have free run of the place we need to have the shoot sometime Dec - March.

Jan 30 09 12:54 pm Link

Model

KaraMocha

New York, New York, US

Linda Kious wrote:
Finaly heard back from Brett at ESP, we can pull this off but to have free run of the place we need to have the shoot sometime Dec - March.

Dec 2009 - March 2010???? Just want to make sure I'm understanding you clearly

Jan 30 09 01:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Linda Koch-Kious

Antwerp, Ohio, US

KaraMocha wrote:

Dec 2009 - March 2010???? Just want to make sure I'm understanding you clearly

Will try to shoot for March 2009

Jan 30 09 01:21 pm Link