Forums > Photography Talk > How to say no

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Ive got a small bit of a problem.  A friend of mine doesnt have a great deal of money and his wife was fixing to graduate from College.  He asked me to take her pictures for her, assuming Id be doing her cap and gown, which i have no problem doing that, its very straight forward stuff kind of like weddings.  So I told the both of them I would do her pictures... but like a dumb ass i didnt verify with them that they where cap and gown or not.  She wants to go on a photoshoot.  She has no pior expirence at all infront of or behind a camera and she doent fit with any of my projects I have planed.  I simply cant use her, and I told her that I hadnt a clue as to what to use her for, so she has been trying to despiratly come up with shoot ideas and i dont want to nor can use her.  How can I tell her this without sounding like a complete asshole?  Please tell me someone else has had this happen to them...  HELP ME!  thanks...

Apr 18 05 01:23 am Link

Photographer

James Berglie

Nottingham, Maryland, US

well I guess I just am an asshole because I will usually ignore a e-mail or phone call from someone who I dont want to shoot with.  --  mainly because I want to avoid the akwardness and I dont really want to hurt anyone's feelings.  --  but frankly... you all know it.  some people... you just simply can not make look good.  --  Personally, I am extremely selective about who I shoot with.  --  since modeling photography is a side thing of mine, I can be selective, since Im not relying on it for income.  --  but I have turned down many of paying people who wanted shoots done..... simply because they were.... well... Ill say it... they were ugly! 

Im sure from a business standpoint, not the smartest thing... but I dont want their pictures in my portfolio... and I simply cant make them look good no matter what I do.  -- If Im not happy with the pictures myself, how can I expect the client to be happy with them? 

-- As for you.... good luck!! -- I just try to avoid these type of situations! lol!! 

best of luck,
james

Apr 18 05 01:32 am Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Been there....this is what I did... 

I shot it to make my person happy, and even though those pics were no good, I did it anyway,...and so, I am not the bad guy to them..  I limited my use of film,...even shot with the RB back on multiple exposure for a while on purpose, and fudged that I "made a mistake"...sorry!  I did however have some nice photos, and what do you know, she bought several 8x10's and 5x7's and then I wish I never fooled around because it cost me in sales..  In addition to this, there is no better form of advertisement than word of mouth,.. it is free, and it generally brings in more business...unless they think you were the bad guy for telling them, no! ..Never say no.  You don't HAVE to make 24x30's of them and hang them in your show window... you don't have to put them on your website,...you don't have to show them to future clients..or anyone else..

One thing I've learned is that no matter what, if someone wants to shoot, and I make it clear to them that I will do it for $, I will make money..  So they don't have any money,...so what.... I'm sure that won't be the case for ever.. She may remember you, and hire you to shoot something else in the future...and or refer you to her friends because you were special to her for doing souch an awesome favor for her..

Just my thoughts on the subject..

Good luck!

JP

Apr 18 05 02:13 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

DAF,

Here's what you can try. Find a photog on MM or omp who is building their portfolio. Contact and tell him that you'd like him to test with her. If he says yes, call and tell your friend's wife that you'd like her to shoot with him. If she asks why, tell her that you'd like her help in testing him. Lol.

Just a quick thought in response to your predicament.

I would just shoot with her and keep to the committment you made.

Apr 18 05 02:18 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

You're a photographer, why do you have to have a project to take some simple pictures?  Shoot her in front of a tree for God's sake, I'm pretty sure they will be happy.  lol

Apr 18 05 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Brian

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

If you already said you would without asking the details, then I would suggest just going through with it, or being honest about why you don't want to do it.  Anything else will just end up with the old what goes around comes around ..

Apr 18 05 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Steele Photography

Madison, Alabama, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
You're a photographer, why do you have to have a project to take some simple pictures?  Shoot her in front of a tree for God's sake, I'm pretty sure they will be happy.  lol

What he said!

Apr 18 05 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Sorry, but yeah, you made the commitment. At this point I think you're obligated to finish it. Do an idiot book update type of session, 2 hours max, no hair or makeup person unless she hires her own and have her husband be your lighting grip. Go all digital and let them get their own proofs printed once you do your digital post production.

Apr 18 05 04:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Tell her that location shoots are very expensive and time consuming - you simply can't do it - you wish you could - but you are already booked out...  however, you still would "just love" to do some professional "Actor Head Shots..." (She'll be like, "ooooohhh!  Actor headshots!  of me! that's so cool! I must be special...." ) 

Tell her you see her in "something classic...maybe black and white...you would like to do few full body shots as well..."  (pump the ego - but not too much - keep it simple - or you'll be dealing with a Peter Pan complex).

Tell her to bring two different outfits, and to go to the mall and get a complimentary make-over for the shoot...  Stress make-up is very important and must be done right.  Give her two hours of shoot time...

A friend in need is a pest - but unfortunatly still your friend - make the sacrifice. Your word is your bond...  do the honorable thing and shoot her to fulfill your promise - but on your terms. 

After eveything is said and done... take two asprine and call me in the morning.

-Dr. Reese

Apr 21 05 11:14 am Link

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

Oh boy. Well just flat out tell her that you can't use her for any projects. I have been told from photographers that they can't use me. Let her down slow.Good luck

Apr 21 05 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Elston

Salinas, California, US

Posted by DAF Productions: 
Ive got a small bit of a problem.  A friend of mine doesnt have a great deal of money and his wife was fixing to graduate from College.  He asked me to take her pictures for her, assuming Id be doing her cap and gown, which i have no problem doing that, its very straight forward stuff kind of like weddings.  So I told the both of them I would do her pictures... but like a dumb ass i didnt verify with them that they where cap and gown or not.  She wants to go on a photoshoot.  She has no pior expirence at all infront of or behind a camera and she doent fit with any of my projects I have planed.  I simply cant use her, and I told her that I hadnt a clue as to what to use her for, so she has been trying to despiratly come up with shoot ideas and i dont want to nor can use her.  How can I tell her this without sounding like a complete asshole?  Please tell me someone else has had this happen to them...  HELP ME!  thanks...

just be honest and professional about it. its not personal its business you dont have to be rude just tell her to check out omp there are plenty of photographers that would gladly shoot her i am sure.

Apr 21 05 05:24 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Posted by John Paul: 
you're truly the kind of personj I like

xox

Been there....this is what I did... 

I shot it to make my person happy, and even though those pics were no good, I did it anyway,...and so, I am not the bad guy to them..  I limited my use of film,...even shot with the RB back on multiple exposure for a while on purpose, and fudged that I "made a mistake"...sorry!  I did however have some nice photos, and what do you know, she bought several 8x10's and 5x7's and then I wish I never fooled around because it cost me in sales..  In addition to this, there is no better form of advertisement than word of mouth,.. it is free, and it generally brings in more business...unless they think you were the bad guy for telling them, no! ..Never say no.  You don't HAVE to make 24x30's of them and hang them in your show window... you don't have to put them on your website,...you don't have to show them to future clients..or anyone else..

One thing I've learned is that no matter what, if someone wants to shoot, and I make it clear to them that I will do it for $, I will make money..  So they don't have any money,...so what.... I'm sure that won't be the case for ever.. She may remember you, and hire you to shoot something else in the future...and or refer you to her friends because you were special to her for doing souch an awesome favor for her..

Just my thoughts on the subject..

Good luck!

JP

Apr 21 05 07:57 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Posted by Ryan Elston: 

just be honest and professional about it. its not personal its business you dont have to be rude just tell her to check out omp there are plenty of photographers that would gladly shoot her i am sure.

But it IS rude, as is not replying as suggested earlier. Don't u think THAT ''hurts peoples felings'' ?

Why be mean and not follow thru?

Why get people disgruntled when they can be not just friends but FANS or customers...

Do a quick session - somewhere outside in natural light , even ... Friendship is worth more than a couple of hours of your time. Show her the photo shop on 1 picture right away (she wont expect many images touched up when she sees how long it takes).

You are bound to get repeat biz if she likes the images but even if not, her looking better than usual, they will all be happy  - is that so bad?

ps
Im a fitness trainer, and within reason, I give my expertise to anyone who wants it - whether they are paying or not!

Apr 21 05 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Steel

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Britt: 

Posted by Ryan Elston: 

Posted by DAF Productions: 

But it IS rude, as is not replying as suggested earlier. Don't u think THAT ''hurts peoples felings'' ?

Why be mean and not follow thru?

Why get people disgruntled when they can be not just friends but FANS or customers...

Do a quick session - somewhere outside in natural light , even ... Friendship is worth more than a couple of hours of your time. Show her the photo shop on 1 picture right away (she wont expect many images touched up when she sees how long it takes).

You are bound to get repeat biz if she likes the images but even if not, her looking better than usual, they will all be happy  - is that so bad?

ps
Im a fitness trainer, and within reason, I give my expertise to anyone who wants it - whether they are paying or not!

Britt,

Does that mean I can have free training sessions?  lol  i would welcome your expertise as middle age i fast approaching and with that all of the bad habits that no longer affected me now do  :-(   

Apr 22 05 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I really do appriciate everyones input.  I think I know what im ganna do, thank you very very much everyone

Apr 22 05 10:59 am Link