Forums > Photography Talk > Studio Fan advice please

Photographer

StudioGuru

Swindon, England, United Kingdom

I would like to add a fan to my studio for adding motion into hair etc.  what can you recommend? and where can i buy it from?

Jul 04 05 07:25 am Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

Wal-Mart

Jul 04 05 07:37 am Link

Photographer

ErnieR

Paragould, Arkansas, US

I find that the most versitile fan is a small leaf blower.  If you can find one that is battery powered those are best.  Put cloth around the opening and it will spread the air around a bit and make more interesting looking.

Ernie

Jul 04 05 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Cool... guess you need an assistant for that though...

Jul 04 05 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

No I do not have the information but the humans are retarded as usual.  You need a fan with a dial control and something that can go onto and come off of a light stand or common stand.  Something that might be able to travel.   And when I say a dial control,  I do not mean 4 choices but a sensitive control that can be controlled in very small amounts.   Very important on serious shoots.

I just do not have a link but have worked with them often.
Contact my human directly if I have better things to do than waste my time with humans.

When I miss MM or OMP,  I just turn on the oven and the fan and get that feeling of hot air being blown up my butt.

Jul 04 05 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

You could also hire jack and stick a stand up his ass and let him blow but remember it will get rather warm in the studio since he's full of hot air!

Jul 04 05 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by ErnieR: 
I find that the most versitile fan is a small leaf blower.  If you can find one that is battery powered those are best.  Put cloth around the opening and it will spread the air around a bit and make more interesting looking.

Ernie

Yes, I have an "electric" leaf blower mounted on a sturdy light stand. It's really great for creating hurricane force winds and tornadoes, LOL!  It can produce some awesome effects though.

For hair blowing wind a small Tornado fan is great or if you can find and old large heavy metal fan like a Diehl Fan from the 60's or earlier. They made them to last forever back then and were very powerful. GE and other known names from that period were all good.

Jul 04 05 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Yes, you could go to B&H and get a professional wind machine, made to work on light stands--there's a cheap one for $1,250.  The Mole-Richardson is over $4,000.

Or you can go to Home Depot, get a $70 leaf blower and do the same thing slightly less delicately.  And for cleaning up after the shoot, it turns into a vacuum.

If Calvin Klein is buying, I'd go with the wind machine.  Otherwise, I'd find a powerful fan or blower.

Jul 04 05 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by Brian Diaz: 
If Calvin Klein is buying, I'd go with the wind machine.  Otherwise, I'd find a powerful fan or blower.

If all you needed was a blower then you could hire Robb.

Jul 04 05 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

First time I have not seen you be original I'm very let down by you

Jul 04 05 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

ErnieR

Paragould, Arkansas, US

["http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/10456400/prd/15983597/ccsyn/260/ccsid/427825574-6425/adtg/07030523"/] Have a look at thisthis is what I was talking about.

Ernie

BTW, If you hadn't guessed I suck at HTML... This edit probably won't work either but thanks for the help.

Jul 04 05 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Link help

CLICK HERE

Jul 04 05 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

That looks fantastic for a location shoot!

(By the way, use [] these instead of  these, and the url needs to be in "" quotes.  It's not that you suck at html--it's that these boards don't use html.  Check out this thread.)

Jul 04 05 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Do they have Home Depot in the UK?

If Lucas ever made a fan, do not buy it unless you like warm beer.

Jul 04 05 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by ErnieR: 
Have a look at this this is what I was talking about.

Ernie

Seems reasonable but it should still be mounterd on some type of adjustable stand so it's a hands free operation.

Jul 04 05 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Or you could just rent one from a lighting house. The real stuff is all over $1000.

Moleffect Wind Machine $4000+

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/355958.jpg

Also, they pull some serious current, make sure you have a circuit free, and soft backdrops will blow in the wind so really you should use a studio with a hard cyc if you're going to do pro wind effects.

Jul 04 05 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

ErnieR

Paragould, Arkansas, US

Posted by Glamour Studio /Gary: 

Seems reasonable but it should still be mounterd on some type of adjustable stand so it's a hands free operation.

I've got a stand/cart with a ball head on it and wire basket that is a general catch all for small oddments and the blower mounts to it rather easily with 2 utility clamps. 

Ernie

Jul 04 05 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by Ched: 
Or you could just rent one from a lighting house. The real stuff is all over $1000.

Moleffect Wind Machine $4000+

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/355958.jpg

Also, they pull some serious current, make sure you have a circuit free.

The real stuff can easily be duplicated with a little know how. When I owned my camera store most of the garbage selling for tons of money was junk and rarely worth that kind of money. I built about 80% of the equipment in my studio myself and it will do the same job and last much longer. Most didn't cost nothing more than the time to build it.
What the velocity of that wind machine is I haven't the slightest doubt I can reproduce it spending from $0 to $50.

Jul 04 05 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by ErnieR: 

I've got a stand/cart with a ball head on it and wire basket that is a general catch all for small oddments and the blower mounts to it rather easily with 2 utility clamps. 

Ernie

That's what I'm talking about, a little ingenuity goes a long way.

Jul 04 05 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by Robb Radford: 

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

First time I have not seen you be original I'm very let down by you 

Hey,,  sorry I turned the fan on high.

Jul 04 05 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
When I miss MM or OMP,  I just turn on the oven and the fan and get that feeling of hot air being blown up my butt.

LMAO!

Jul 04 05 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

According to mole.com, volume: 2390 cubic ft. per minute; velocity: 1700 ft. per minute.  That's for the 18" version.  The 24" is 4400/1750.

It's about $50/day to rent.

Jul 04 05 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by Brian Diaz: 
According to mole.com, volume: 2390 cubic ft. per minute; velocity: 1700 ft. per minute.  That's for the 18" version.  The 24" is 4400/1750.

It's about $50/day to rent.

Without even attempting to build your own the options are simple even for new. Much cheaper used and no cost on trash nights where these can be found many times in perfect working condition or even if it needed work your paying $00 and some elbow grease and maybe parts.
This is only the first brand I stopped at.

Air King 36" Direct Drive Drum Fan

HIGH - 9,630 CFM,  800 RPM, AMPS 6.50, WATTS 570

LOW - 6,900 CFM   445 RPM, AMPS 5.10, WATTS 390

$399.00
-----------------------------

Need More Wind?

Air King 42" Industrial Grade Belt Drive Drum Fan

HIGH - 18,350 CFM, 1725 RPM

LOW - 13,100 CFM,  1140 RPM

$509.00

More units from the same page.

http://www.rewci.com/ingrdrfa.html

Jul 04 05 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
No I do not have the information but the humans are retarded as usual.  You need a fan with a dial control and something that can go onto and come off of a light stand or common stand.  Something that might be able to travel.   And when I say a dial control,  I do not mean 4 choices but a sensitive control that can be controlled in very small amounts.   Very important on serious shoots.

I just do not have a link but have worked with them often.
Contact my human directly if I have better things to do than waste my time with humans.

You can get a variable current control extention box with the control knob that extends from the units wire to the wall socket. That will make the fan totally variable controlled. It does exactly what the control does that is built into the fan, they're cheap too.

Jul 04 05 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

You can get a variable current control extention box with the control knob that extends from the units wire to the wall socket. That will make the fan totally variable controlled. It does exactly what the control does that is built into the fan, they're cheap too.

Your dog must have told you that because that is too smart for humans.

Jul 04 05 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

LOL

It is a good suggestion...

Jul 04 05 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

It wasn't a dog. You underestimate the cat's thinking process. All that sleeping isn't for nothing. They're really brainstorming. When they wake up I get flooded with information and new technological ideas.

Jul 04 05 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I've built a few portable dimmers myself. For $40 you can make a 1000w dimmer pack with a 9 ft tail. Most lighting manufactureres would charge you $75-130 for something like that.

I do still think that you're discounting the value of a Mole Richardson product, those suckers hold up in horrific conditions. It's worth $50 a day.

Jul 04 05 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by tony1989tony: 
I would like to add a fan to my studio for adding motion into hair etc.  what can you recommend? and where can i buy it from?

Tractor Supply/northwest ag has those huge round steel fans for about $200. They'll give you a serious tornado effect and are very quiet, too.

Oh, dear. I just noticed you're in the UK. No agway or tractor supply. You might try a place that sells supplies for horse-barns.

mjr.

Jul 04 05 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by Ched: 

I've built a few portable dimmers myself. For $40 you can make a 1000w dimmer pack with a 9 ft tail. Most lighting manufactureres would charge you $75-130 for something like that.

I do still think that you're discounting the value of a Mole Richardson product, those suckers hold up in horrific conditions. It's worth $50 a day.

Well that is a good point if you only use something like that possibly twice a year. Still, industrial quality fans are far stronger than than a Mole. If you rented the Mole say 4 or 5 times a year you're much better off finding a used industrial unit for around $100. These things are all over, trash nights, garage sales, estate sales, flea markets. It really makes no sense to keep renting one when you can save tons of money buying one and having it right there in the studio whenever you want to use it.
A model might blurt out, "hey, you got one of those wind maker things? That would be awesome!"  Uummm, well, no not here but I'll be back in an hour or two with one.
And you better have the $50 to spend also.

The more money you waste the less you make. A wind machine to me is totally essential for the studio. I use it constantly and the models love it.

Jul 04 05 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

StudioGuru

Swindon, England, United Kingdom

Thanks v much everyone, that includes the small dog with the big bark and nasty bite!

Jul 04 05 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

I use this fan to blow hair on a single model (see: Lisa Grace image in my MM profile) with a high degree of success:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ … J64C2A7Y02

It is not very powerful but quiet and cheap.  Effective if you are interested in simply blowing hair and are within 10-15 ft of model.  I would not personally spend any more than that amount unless you are looking at a purpose-built wind machine.  I like the reFan:

http://www.reelefx.com/Documents/REFAN/refan.htm

They are powerful, but also quiet and compact.  They are better designed and substantially less costly than the Mole Wind Machine ( I think around $1000) and I believe more controllable and compact.

Jul 04 05 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by Dan Howell: 
I use this fan to blow hair on a single model (see: Lisa Grace image in my MM profile) with a high degree of success:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ … J64C2A7Y02

It is not very powerful but quiet and cheap.  Effective if you are interested in simply blowing hair and are within 10-15 ft of model.

Excellent. Just ordered one, thanks!

Jul 04 05 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

hstokesphoto

Huntsville, Alabama, US

I bought one from Goodwill, the one on the adjustable stand for $7 bucks.  A little 409 cleaner and done.

Jul 08 05 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

If Lucas ever made a fan, do not buy it unless you like warm beer.

Rotflmassoff

Jul 08 05 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Robb Radford: 
You could also hire jack and stick a stand up his ass and let him blow but remember it will get rather warm in the studio since he's full of hot air!

Again Rotflmassoff

Jul 08 05 01:00 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Costco.  $40

Jul 13 05 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Ephotique

Prescott, Arizona, US

I've used a number of fans, but currently use the Bowens Jet Stream Wind Machine.  Works great for continuous wind and has a convenient variable power feature.  I was fortunate enough to find a photog selling his and was able to pick it up for a song.

Interestingly, the best wind machine that I've found for getting a model's hair to look like its uniformly exploded back and up all at the same time is a simple 3'x2' sheet of 1/4" foamcore (of course you do need an assistant for this.)

Best regards,
John

Jul 13 05 10:10 am Link