Forums > Photography Talk > How to write an effective bio for your photo site.

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

I'm getting ready to launch a new web site. One of the hardest things for me to tackle is writing a bio that doesn't sound narcissistic or lame. It's been suggested to write it in the 3rd person and keep it short. My MM profile wouldn't work for my site so I kind of have to start from scratch. I'll have a separate column for credits so I don't really need to talk bout clients or credits in the bio section.

I'm wondering if anyone has some examples of what they thing are effective photographer bios and/or some suggestions of do's and don'ts.

I appreciate any input.

thanks!

Patrick

Jan 17 09 12:59 am Link

Photographer

FashionPhotographer

New York, New York, US

A few different photo sites with bios , to give you a taste of what works for different people. Some are short some are long.

http://kaitlyngroth.com
under bio.

http://www.perou.co.uk/biography.php

http://albertwatson.com/
under profile

These are three examples; one a student, one a professional, the other a legend.

- Phen

Jan 17 09 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

I've found that it's much easier to sit down and write out a list of things you want to include first. Start with the basics such as name and education. From there move to your style or objectives, then finish with accomplishments. You're not writing a paragraph but rather a list of things. Once you have that list you incorporate those items into a short paragraph.

Basically this technique allows you to identify the things that you want to include before you try to start writing. It's the same technique that many people recommend for writing a resume.

Jan 17 09 01:44 am Link

Photographer

GS Photography, LLC

Trinity, Florida, US

Don't write in 3rd person - doesn't sound personable!

How about only talking a little about your photography/you as a photographer - as your work speaks for yourself. Instead try to write stuff people would want to know about you as a person.

Or you can try making a list of your favorite things....

Jan 17 09 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Russell Lewis

My advice is DO NOT do it in the 'third person'.

These third person things always turn out badly and are usually hugely detrimental to being taken seriously. Unless you are a very good copy writer, it will always come across as someone trying to buff up their importance. To be honest, whenever I come across 'third person' profiles I just hit the back button.

If you are writing about a company that employs a number of people, individual bios should use third-person as it works better in context, but an individual should always be first-person. You are trying to sell yourself and your work; why would people have any faith in you if you can't (apparently) speak for yourself?

Just in case you should look and feel that I am contradicting myself! - I currently have a 'third-person' bio on my website. This is a genuine article, since it is taken from a published magazine interview and I have credited the journalist. My new site (when I finally get the thing done) will have a completely different, 'me' version.

Interviews and reviews by bona-fide third-parties are great and can add a degree of gravitas, writing about yourself in the third-person, however, makes you look a bit silly and will not be taken seriously. This whole third-party thing is largely an internet phenomenon, most obviously preferred by the semi-literate and the pathologically self-important.

Ask not what you can do for your profile; ask what your profile can do for you..

That's what The Rusty Horse reckons, anyway. Now he has work to do and tea to drink.....

P.S. Write it. Hide it away for at least a week, then read it - you'll spot any 'horrors' much more efficiently that way.

Jan 17 09 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Flick

London, England, United Kingdom

The Rusty Horse wrote:
P.S. Write it. Hide it away for at least a week, then read it - you'll spot any 'horrors' much more efficiently that way.

That is similar to the advice I give people when they say they want a tattoo. I say find a design you love, stick it in a drawer for six months, then look at it again. If you still love it, have it done.

Back on topic though, also don't try to big yourself up. If you haven't worked for international magazines, don't say you have. If you took a candid snap of a B-list celebrity at your local drive though, this does not make you a celebrity photographer.

Although you may think you are pulling the wool over somebody's eyes, any potential client will see straight through the bullshit. Check out your local competitoion too and see what they are putting and make yours better.

For examples, my local competitors are: http://www.georgeimpeyphotographer.co.uk/about.html
http://www.daviddoughty.co.uk/Biography.html

I will openly admit that mine is written in the third person (www.nickwebster.com), so maye I will have to change that.

Whatever you do, don't make it boring, don't put in jokes and don't look for sympathy.

Jan 17 09 02:25 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Patrick Shipstad wrote:
I'm getting ready to launch a new web site. One of the hardest things for me to tackle is writing a bio that doesn't sound narcissistic or lame. It's been suggested to write it in the 3rd person and keep it short. My MM profile wouldn't work for my site so I kind of have to start from scratch. I'll have a separate column for credits so I don't really need to talk bout clients or credits in the bio section.

I'm wondering if anyone has some examples of what they thing are effective photographer bios and/or some suggestions of do's and don'ts.

I appreciate any input.

thanks!

Patrick

1)  Keep it terse.
2)  Let your photography do your talking.
3)  I prefer 1st person bios.
4)  Get your foot in the door -- meaning, just make a good first impression.  No
     need for a big book.
5)  Stay focused on your business objective; eliminate extraneous info (like
     non-related hobbies).

Jan 17 09 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Dustin Dodge

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Dbl Post

Jan 17 09 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Dustin Dodge

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Get someone else to write it. I had my marketing director write it and it came out great. Check it out on my website.

www.DustinDodgePhotography.com

Jan 17 09 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Waring

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

i write in third person.
i quite like it too.

different strokes for different folkes i suppose.

i thought a 'biography' was supposed to be third person anyway

Jan 17 09 10:19 pm Link