Forums > General Industry > Photographers: Making a profit from shoots?

Photographer

Michael_Creagh

New York, New York, US

Posted by Marvin Dockery: 
I do not think the photographer owes the model any more money. (Unless there is a formal agreement with the model)

the point is not what you legally owe, it is about being fair.  I lose money on some shoots and have loads of business expenses.  but if a shoot get lucky and makes A LOT more money than expected i shouldn't be so arrogant as to think it is just me that made it big.

I am not arguing it is wrong to make a profit or to make more money than the other people involved in a shoot (Remember hair, makeup, and clothes styling). 

Case study:
Recently I did a shoot for a magazine that paid $600 and $100 to hair/makeup and the clothing stylist had a separate arrangement that i did not know the details of.  There was no model, but instead a music artist.  This shoot was later bought from me by the music artist's label for promotion for more than 10 times the original magazine payment.

How many steps did i have to do to act ethically?

1. Negotiate with the magazine.  Even though I signed nothing over to them, we settled on me sending them a new fashion story for free for them giving me no hassles.

2.  I paid the clothing stylist and makeup/hair their full rates as if i had hired them for a separate shoot that the photos were sold for.This meant that though they had already been paid an editorial rate and had no legal claim, I paid the clothing stylist their music label day rate and this cost me almost $2000.

The music artist was the buyer so i of course paid them nothing.  Did I make money?  Yes, lots and have been hired by that stylist for a couple muli-thousand dollar jobs through his contacts and the makeup/hair is a loyal co-worker.

Thanks
Michael Creagh
http://michaelcreagh.com

Jul 09 05 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

David,

Your release seems to cover all concerns, BUT remember that you are in an ongoing and evolving medium and business.

It is preceisley this delema, that you have brought up as to why I think that most photographers doing TFP/TFCD without the proper release documents are going to eventualy get burned.

IF you are in business, ANY business, you the seller/creator provides for your coustomer (model) a finished usable product at a specific cost. This is business 101.

Bottom line, act like ANY other business and charge for what you do, provide a written receipt (contract). The 2 times in my 20 years of business that I have been taken to court, I have been able to produce a receipt for my services...CASE DISMISSED, with court costs FOR ME!!

Oliver Cole-Professional Photographer

Jul 09 05 08:49 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

That is why I like to use non-commercial standars release forms. If a photographer just uses a stadard release form and wants to sale my pictures the release better say "photos will be sold and model has been paid in full or will get a % of the  profits" or something of the sort. If the release does not say anything like that then you have no right and must talk to me before hand. The release needs to be worded very good none of that "photographer has the right to do WHATEVER they want with the images" NO, it needs to be worded in DETAILS.

Jul 09 05 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

Even in these online groups, sites, formats..EVERY image that has a person in it...I have a signed model release.

Oliver Cole

Jul 09 05 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Abel

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by CO Model Amber: 
NO, it needs to be worded in DETAILS.

Ok, this is the sort of thing that is starting to weird me out a little.  I'm a nobody.  I'll never get paid for my work.  I take pictures because I enjoy it.  However I would love to make money at it.  How am I supposed to specify usage and tems when I have no idea what they might be?  I've never run into anyone who demanded this, but from the general thrust of the various conversations here on this topic, it doesn't matter.  If I don't specify I can still get in trouble later from using a broader all encompasing release because I don't know and want to protect myself.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm married to a model and have strong feelings on the rights of models.  I'm not out to rip anyone off. I just don't know what I should be doing to keep from being ripped off myself.

Standard release eh?  Well there appear to be dozens and if a model wants a change, what do you do if you just d/led the form from a site and don't understand 90% of what is said?

Jul 09 05 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

That is why I like to use non-commercial standars release forms. If a photographer just uses a stadard release form and wants to sale my pictures the release better say "photos will be sold and model has been paid in full or will get a % of the  profits" or something of the sort. If the release does not say anything like that then you have no right and must talk to me before hand. The release needs to be worded very good none of that "photographer has the right to do WHATEVER they want with the images" NO, it needs to be worded in DETAILS.

Are you charging photographers to pose for them plus wanting to control what they do with the images, and maybe getting paid more money later, if they make a sale.

If so that would be like me paying McDonald for a berger, then wanting to tell them how to spend the money I paid them.

Jul 09 05 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

David Holloway

Liberty Lake, Washington, US

So what is paid in full? If I paid you $2000 as a modeling (hypothetically) fee, would you consider that paid in full even though someone wants to license the use of the image for $15,000?

My release states "authority to copyright, publish, and use in all forms and media and manners for advertising, trade, promotion, exhibition, or any other lawful purpose whatsoever any depictions of Model made by photographer"

To me by signing that release and accepting compensation for it you are acknowledging that the photographer can license the use of the photo for money without further compensation to you.

Not even the model release in "Business and Legal forms for photographers" states "Photos will be sold and model has been paid in full or will get a percentage of the profits."

In the above case scenario..If the shoot cost me $10,000 and I made $5,000 profit I am losing money now because you would want a percentage of the profits even though you were already paid for the shoot.

Does not sound like a fair deal.

Jul 09 05 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Sheesh...there's so much bad information in this thread it's no wonder the industry doesn't take the Internet serious.

Aaron
"...most laws in the US, they are written by and put into place by and for the interests of the wealthy and the corporations..."

No, laws are written to protect the little guy.  The wealthy and corporate behemoths just happen to have the means to hire those that can explore all the loopholes

David,
There is no need to include TFP / Payment information in your Model Release.  That should be done as a separate attachment that outlines the scope of work and payment.  A Model Release is singular in function and should always be made first order of precedence.  It is best kept that way to avoid any conflict and/or interpretation that will void the total document.

Steven,
"...How am I supposed to specify usage and tems when I have no idea what they might be?..."

You don't.  The Model Release is not required to do that specific function, although some (agencies and clients) will negotiate to limit use based on individual assignment.  For personal work it can't be determined if the shooting session has no defined purpose other than creating images.  It simply isn't possible, as who knows what your heirs and assigns might do with your creative body of work once you head to the great studio in the sky.  Terms, such as payment made or received, should be under separate attachment.

Michael,
"...I firmly believe that leading a model to believe the photos are for limited use and then getting them to sign an unrestrictive release form we call "standard" is a horrible practice..."

See "heading to the great studio in the sky" above.  The "horrible practice" you describe lends no posterity to an artist's body of work.  Unless otherwise stated in the terms of the release for specific usage (as in client or agency demand) it makes no sense at all to restrict the value in creating images.  For example, are you going to leave it up to others to track down releases for images included in your biography?

Amber,
A Model Release is a photographer document, not a model document. Again, what you are requesting should be made under a separate attachment that can refer back to the attached agreement by the photographer in the scope of work and payment.  Don't want to do the required paperwork?  Get an agency or hire an assistant to handle your details.

----------------------
There is no reason in the world a model should fear signing a release.  If that attitude is presented on the street with clients the model will soon be shown the door.  They (releases) are "spirit and intent" agreements, meaning if the spirit and intent by the photographer is to defame or cause harm and damage to a reputation the release won't hold up.  If that is a worry, then why would a model even choose to work with one so untrustworthy.  There are ways to determine that trust, through references.  There are ways to be compensated, negotiate beforehand.

Models should understand the purpose in which they endeavor to work...to release their image to the creator.  That is what models do.  If that is a cause for concern then I dare say one should find a different occupation, as the purpose of their work hasn't been clearly understood.

As for the original question, "Making a profit from shoots?" is it not the intent if one is doing more than playing around? 

Jul 09 05 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

David Holloway

Liberty Lake, Washington, US

Posted by area291: 
David,
There is no need to include TFP / Payment information in your Model Release.  That should be done as a separate attachment that outlines the scope of work and payment.  A Model Release is singular in function and should always be made first order of precedence.  It is best kept that way to avoid any conflict and/or interpretation that will void the total document.

Thanks for the tip... I definately want to do things right... Any ideas on a seperate form for payment and shoot info? Does it have to have the same legal jargon as the release.

D.

Jul 09 05 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Posted by Steven Abel: 
Now it sounds like I need a lawyer and several different releases drafted for different situations...

Steven... use a release my friend, ALWAYS.  I will send you a copy of mine if you like, and just change the company name and the county you wish any litigation to take place in.  It's not the equivalent of having had counsel with a lawyer in you area, but it's so much better then nothing.  email me, and i will send.

ClevelandSlim
[email protected]

Jul 10 05 11:47 am Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Posted by David Holloway: 
Does it have to have the same legal jargon as the release...

theoretically, you can hand write a models release, with the terms on it and have the model sign it.  in this democracy of ours, even an oral contract can be binding in a court of law.  the legal jargon just helps to further bind and show intent.  it's very necessary for ease of interpretation.  as for paying the model, just simply use a reciept that states what the model is being paid for, and how much.  and YOU keep the reciept, signed by her stating that yes, in fact she did the work and RECIEVED her agreed upon paymnet for it.

ClevelandSlim

Jul 10 05 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

My TFP release form gives me all rights to the images. If I sell them I will pay the model (+MUA +hair +wardrobe) a share, even though I'm not legally obligated to do so. It's the right thing to do.

Jul 13 05 01:07 am Link