Forums > Photography Talk > Fashion Photography and what I don't get about it.

Photographer

Brian Morris Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Robert Randall wrote:

You said watch the movie, so I did. Why do I have to respect that Russel Crow narrated it?

You watched a fearture length movie in 20 minutes? I want to know how to do that. speed reading a movie sounds like fun?

Respect for the same reason that I should respect what you say about crunched black holes?

Feb 11 09 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

Robert Randall wrote:
You said watch the movie, so I did. Why do I have to respect that Russel Crow narrated it?

Of all people, a commercial photographer should be quite aware of the subtlety of using an unknown like Crowe to validate a truly raw production style documentary film shot in HD with 5:2 SurroundSound.

Feb 11 09 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Brian Morris Photography

Smedley Whiplash wrote:

Of all people, a commercial photographer should be quite aware of the subtlety of using an unknown like Crowe to validate a truly raw production style documentary film shot in HD with 5:2 SuroundSound.

The ranks are about to change and some will be left behind.  When and old schooler doesn't show respect he may find himself butthurt. 

Bringing up the youth might help to immortalize you?

Feb 11 09 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Digital Soup wrote:

You watched a fearture length movie in 20 minutes? I want to know how to do that. speed reading a movie sounds like fun?

Respect for the same reason that I should respect what you say about crunched black holes?

You pointed me to a link that had a movie on it. I watched what they showed me. You don't have to respect anything I say, crunchy or smooth.

Feb 11 09 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Brian Morris Photography

Robert Randall wrote:

You pointed me to a link that had a movie on it. I watched what they showed me. You don't have to respect anything I say, crunchy or smooth.

But here is the deal. I want to, without any resistance!

Feb 11 09 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

Digital Soup wrote:

The ranks are about to change and some will be left behind.  When and old schooler doesn't show respect he may find himself butthurt. 

My guess is that the show was funded, produced, and shot by old schoolers telling yet another story of murderous surfer dudes innocently caught up in the nefarious underworld, with the will to survive.

I only wish that Donald LaFontaine was still alive to read my previous sentence live to you. He was a master of making stuff sound like it might be exciting to watch.

Feb 11 09 10:40 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Digital Soup wrote:

Sounds like Utopia. Didn't Orwell discuss this in Animal Farm?

/highjack

Feb 11 09 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Brian Morris Photography

Smedley Whiplash wrote:

My guess is that the show was funded, produced, and shot by old schoolers telling yet another story of murderous surfer dudes innocently caught up in the nefarious underworld, with the will to survive.

I only wish that Donald LaFontaine was still alive to read my previous sentence live to you. He was a master of making stuff sound like it might be exciting to watch.

Watch the fuckin movie then come back to me and give me your opinion!

Feb 11 09 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Brian Morris Photography

MMDesign wrote:

Sounds like Utopia. Didn't Orwell discuss this in Animal Farm?

/highjack

As the moral fabric of society corrodes. Things get more competitive!

Feb 11 09 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Benjamin Carlson

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

just my 0.000002 cents

in commercial
2+2=4 and will always be 4, that explaines why in those real estate catalogs, the head shots will always be somewhat the same, 2+2=4

in fashion
2+2= could be 5 or 3 or maybe just 4.
if you look at fashion to have a set of rules then you will have a hard time of seeing what the editor or the company head would, since you insists that its 4 and not 5 or 3 while they do.

fashion is about the trends, trends of the target audience and therefore could be 3, 4 or 5, insist on being 4 all the time and it wont be you who would say "you dont get it" but they who would say "you wouldn't get you".

there are reasons upon reasons why even though we dont get it and they did, after all, in fashion, we dont wear all the same clothes, do we.

you might have a fashion sense of 10 while the company is targeting the 2 or 3, in commercial, everybody looks 10, try looking like a 1 and your jobless tomorrow.
in fashion they could be 1 and they're still okay.

after all, our 10 for us might be 1 for them.
thats why in fashion, the only permanent trend is change, therefore 2+2 is not 4 all the time.

Feb 11 09 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Brooks Ayola

Chatsworth, California, US

Fashion IS commercial.

Feb 11 09 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Benjamin Carlson

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

Brooks Ayola wrote:
Fashion IS commercial.

yes, thats true but commercial will never be fashion. therefore, there are differences between the two.

a model with a dress is commercial as well as fashion since there' clothing and the product which is the clothing. BUt, a model with a shampoo will never be fashion since there's no clothing line being promoted only a product (shampoo).

while some might say, well, i see the model with clothes, that's not the emphasis of the imagery, everytime you look at a photo or an ad think what its trying to convey, what message its trying to connect. a photo is only a photo if the message it was design to deliver isnt received.

thats why, in fashion, its not how good the photo looks, its the essense of the clothing line that matters and what target audience its trying to pleased.

btw, fashion is not just about clothing, it includes shoes, bags, sunglasses, eyeglasses and just about anything that you see on a models body. which explaines why some do see fashion as the same as commercial. as much as fashion IS commercial as posted above, commercial will never be fashion.

Feb 11 09 11:45 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Try 'awareness' and whatever works.

Marketing brief blah, blah, blah...$, $, $.

But how many buy the fashion mags to look at the clothes and be persuaded to buy it ? I look at them for the pic's.
I'll confess that I watch fashion TV for the cut and styles of the clothes. Catwalk and no pretty pic's.

Feb 11 09 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Brooks Ayola

Chatsworth, California, US

Benjie Urbina wrote:

yes, thats true but commercial will never be fashion. therefore, there are differences between the two.

a model with a dress is commercial as well as fashion since there' clothing and the product which is the clothing. BUt, a model with a shampoo will never be fashion since there's no clothing line being promoted only a product (shampoo).

while some might say, well, i see the model with clothes, that's not the emphasis of the imagery, everytime you look at a photo or an ad think what its trying to convey, what message its trying to connect. a photo is only a photo if the message it was design to deliver isnt received.

thats why, in fashion, its not how good the photo looks, its the essense of the clothing line that matters and what target audience its trying to pleased.

btw, fashion is not just about clothing, it includes shoes, bags, sunglasses, eyeglasses and just about anything that you see on a models body. which explaines why some do see fashion as the same as commercial. as much as fashion IS commercial as posted above, commercial will never be fashion.

I just meant it involved commerce, which is what commercial photography is. Fashion is merely a sub-category of commercial photography. Obviously, the whole can't be equal to one of it's small pieces.

Feb 11 09 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

CEEKuno

Atlanta, Georgia, US

The never-ending quest for complication...and exclusivity in it's understanding. I just wanna say "wow" every now and then...and create a "wow" moment for others occasionally...anybody want a daisy?

-Ceek

Feb 11 09 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Mag such as Vogue are for advertisers to stand out from the crowd, a show case for one or two pages amidst other advertisers who are trying to do the same.
And by being that bit different they can attain that bit more attention.

If an advertiser want to be part of the crowd they'd produce a Walmart type catalogue.

That about sums it up.

Feb 11 09 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

I think we know that only in-craft personnal see or care about on first impression, " . . . the blacks are all plugged up, the patterns all get lost in the pampas grass backgrounds, the light is so hard you can cut diamonds with it if only you could find them in the images, the highlights are blown so hard even a hooker wouldn't demand payment... "

What is seen -- or valued by the artist who produces it -- is some kind of essential content that resonates in some heads whatever melange of experiences, iconography, and attitudes happen to be in it.

I'm not much for the repetitive painting of soup cans, say, but Warhol sure had a lot of fun with that pursuit.

I've a fine collection of scarves I thankfully forget about every winter--life's complicated enough without tying another knot around my throat, but if someone wants to feteshize that element (and shortened pants and jackets and other PeeWee Herman type perversions (let's not go too far with that), they're going to garner a little attention.  How long it lasts, well, we'll see.

One can't blame most photographers for wanting photography to be about aesthetics, but (Tiny Time and "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" comes to mind) sometimes the indulgence is about freedom, and there's nothing more indulgent (snoots might say "transgressive", lovely weird popular word, that one) than stealing the freedom to be bad--and turning a few bucks while at it.

No one cares about blown highlights while they're full of themselves and creating or adopting (also discarding) popular emblems.

Feb 11 09 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

CP Portraits and Sports

Long Beach, California, US

"You go to your closet and you select out, oh I don't know, that lumpy blue sweater, for instance, because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, it's not turquoise, it's not lapis, it's actually cerulean. You're also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar De La Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves St Laurent, wasn't it, who showed cerulean military jackets? I think we need a jacket here. And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of 8 different designers. Then it filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic casual corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and so it's sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you're wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room. From a pile of stuff."

~Miranda Priestly

Love that movie

Feb 11 09 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

MartinImages

Robert Randall wrote:
Doncha think I have better things to do, and wouldn't be putting up with all this negative attitude if it wasn't important to me. Every frickin time I open my mouth for an answer, I get someone with an agenda but no real answer.

I could kill Blondie for all that rap music crap!

You ever heard of potassium permanganate? Its a bleach that can be used in photography, but there is a special method you need to employ to use it, because after the bleach is finished, you need to fix it to stabilize the print. All fixers I tried ruined the bleach effect. There in no documentation for any process with it that works. I spent two years trying to find a solution to that problem. Literally thousands of prints went through some iteration of a bleach process with it. Its messy and dangerous and god awful to work with and now its very difficult to get a hold of. I went through all of this because I was shown a print that Penn had used the bleach on. Words can't adequately describe the beauty of that image, it has haunted me for almost 8 years. In my quest for an answer to that nagging problem I stumbled by accident upon some of the coolest images I've ever made in a darkroom. I'm pretty certain I understand how Man Ray came across a few of his more interesting images.

I'm an expert at some things, and a non expert at more. Just because you don't understand the question doesn't entitle you to belittle the questioner.

Unless you want to.

You're kidding about Blondie, right?  Please say yes.  wink

Cryptic reply...  I get your devotion to the art and your passionate pursuit of a look. 

Not sure if you're saying I was belittling/not understanding the question.

I was just commenting on your 'harder to innovate' thing. And suggesting that loosening up on the technique and feeling the flow of it, might be part of the answer.   And speak a bit to your original post maybe.   

And for the record..I think this is a great thread.  All passionate quibbles aside, it's great discourse and way more relevant than most threads.  Good on ya for starting the fracas.

B

Feb 11 09 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Brooks Ayola wrote:
Fashion IS commercial.

That's not a fair categorization. Some parts are esoteric.

Feb 12 09 05:40 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

CEEKuno wrote:
The never-ending quest for complication...and exclusivity in it's understanding. I just wanna say "wow" every now and then...and create a "wow" moment for others occasionally...anybody want a daisy?

-Ceek

Nah, I'd probably shoot my eye out.

Obscure pop culture references are more easily understood than fashion I'd venture.

Feb 12 09 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Bill Clearlake Photos

San Jose, California, US

Having poked my finger into the pie called fashion photography and having a tiny taste, I'm also having a lot of questions come up.  Burberry sells a cashmere scarf for nearly $300.00.  It's not a particularly attractive scarf.  I'm sure it's well-made, maybe not as well made as an 8-yard hand-made wool kilt that might sell for $500.00. 

http://www.burberryusaonline.com/produc … age=search

But somehow Burberry has sold people on the idea that a piece of plaid material is worth $300.00.  And somewhere in there is the selling of an image -- a lifestyle -- an attitude or something that people identify with or want to be seen as being a part of to the tune of 300 smackers for a couple of yards of cloth.

The question of how that's done is probably far more pedestrian that what Robert is asking.  In fact I'm so far down the chain that I'm pretty sure now that I don't have the knowledge to know what I don't know to be able to even grasp what Rob is asking.

But this thread has certainly got me thinking and being more observant.

Feb 12 09 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Jefferson Dorsey

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Creative Works LLC wrote:
In fact I'm so far down the chain that I'm pretty sure now that I don't have the knowledge to know what I don't know to be able to even grasp what Rob is asking.

Thank you for that; one of the better and more honest statements in this thread.  I know that applies to me.  And I'd wager it applies to a lot of the people who have posted, though they'd never know or admit it.

Feb 12 09 11:50 am Link

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Robert Randall wrote:
Can we use Scott Schuman again as an example to argue about, and this time no fighting?

http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/

The Sartorialist is old and busted.

LOOKBOOK is the new hotness.

smile

Feb 14 09 10:25 am Link

Photographer

MC Film

New York, New York, US

Very interesting thread.

I think the simplest way to break it down is that catalog photography is direct communication and fashion is indirect communication.

DKNY's choice to use the guy from The Sartorialist says many things. It suggests they're cool from know who's '"in" at the moment. It suggests that their clothes are for people who read the blog or for people who like the idea of clothes that make strangers stop you on the street. They also know that he's going to write about the shoot, so they get free advertising on top of it. There are plenty of reasons beyond who knows who.

Jul 19 11 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Monito -- Alan

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Zombie thread.  The OP is no longer a member.

Jul 19 11 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Julian W I L D E

Portland, Oregon, US

I hate to be simplistic, but ever heard the phrase "it's who you blow?"

Jul 19 11 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Stefano Brunesci wrote:
I don't claim to understand fashion, and I don't 'get' the images in the blog. Maybe only those who claim to understand it are in on the secret?

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

And that's the purpose 'is is art, is the photogapher expressing some sorts of creative deep meaning or is total BS'.

Jul 19 11 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by BE

Midland, Texas, US

rambo      this thread.

It was started and finished 2 years ago, and someone had so much time on their hands that they revived it.

Jul 19 11 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

BrandonMattNg

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

What an interesting thread!
I personally like his works and admire it because he chooses his "model"/image carefully, he goes for a specific trend or what appeals to him in a fashion sense. Fashion photography is not often understood by all, it's like not everyone understanding cooking. It is highly subjective. Sorry if I went off topic or anything but that's just my thought so far for this thread. I do admire the way he manages to get his "models" to look relaxed in every photo and there's no force into it, they just seem all natural.

I have a strong passion for fashion (can't believe I just used that quote). This is because I was influenced by my mum, I believe fashion shows your identity, not just your style.

I guess his works are just highly subjective, some like it, some don't. Same with many things, you like it, or you don't. As for his appreciation of his works, that leaves a question to the audience, I like his work because I enjoy looking at the latest trends. As for his photography, it's not perfect, but it did capture a moment of style and the relaxation of the "models" is a +1.

Jul 23 11 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Moderator Warning!

Photography by BE wrote:
rambo      this thread.

It was started and finished 2 years ago, and someone had so much time on their hands that they revived it.

There is nothing inherently wrong with reviving a legitimate thread.

There IS something wrong with reviving one to cause drama, or disrupting a thread to snipe at someone for having revived a legitimate one.

If you feel a thread was inappropriately revived, please contact a moderator; do not hijack it.

Jul 23 11 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Anthony

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

La Seine by the Hudson wrote:
It comes down in large part to this: you're looking at one thing. They're communicating another. Part of what you're looking for and pointing out and bothered by is often irrelevant and occasionally harmful. In other words, differing priorities.

Fashion photos should NOT look like commercial photos. It tends to do them harm. That is my own personal opinion, heavily reinforced. The first two sentences are not simply opinion, however. We could debate why, but frankly it would take a book and I just don't have the energy today, so I'll have to leave it at this for the moment.

But none of this surprises you, I'd wager. I wonder why you'd asked.

Bingo!

To the OP:  Each fashion house is trying to get across a feeling for their brand.  Perfectly lit photos of their clothes isn't the way to do that.  Fashion isn't about the clothes--it's about how the clothes make you feel.  The ad campaign tells people how the clothes make you feel.

Each brand also has a target audience.  If you are not the target of a campaign, chances are the images won't appeal to you.  Great ads aren't art--they are commerce.  Great ads get people to buy what the company is selling.  The best way to judge an ad campaign is by looking at sales figures.

Jul 23 11 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

DarkNamelessOne

O FALLON, Missouri, US

I miss Mr Randalls quirky sense if humor.

DNO

Jul 23 11 09:37 pm Link