Forums > Model Colloquy > Pro Scout Event - Are you Going ?

Photographer

luciano Mello

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

Apr 10 06 06:02 pm Link

Model

AnToNiA BaKaLoVa

Atlanta, Georgia, US

hey! I got invited to the proScout event there in Atlanta. Is it worth the money??? I didn't go last time, but they usually come here every year so I might consider it...even though they wanted like $700 for the weekend, and no guarantees

Apr 10 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

Apr 10 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Antonia, for you it just might be worth it.

www.newmodels.com/searches.html

Apr 10 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'm sorry...although they may be legit, you can easily pass through the same agent's doors free of charge!

When I was a teen, I was chosen as a participant...but in reality, I was a "financial sponsor!" 

Lord knows, I couldn't make it at 5'8 as a male...(although I was photogenic as hell!  LOL)

BUT...I was so dillusional...I was happy to have been picked....I didn't realize I was helping the bill for the models who actually had a chance!

Luciano, your work is phenomenal and your models are beautiful...I just don't understand why someone of your caliber would endorse "Pro Scouts."  The $700 registration fee would easily pay for a ticket to Chicago or New York.

Apr 10 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Lund Photography

Puyallup, Washington, US

AnToNiA BaKaLoVa wrote:
hey! I got invited to the proScout event there in Atlanta. Is it worth the money??? I didn't go last time, but they usually come here every year so I might consider it...even though they wanted like $700 for the weekend, and no guarantees

Exactly, I sat in on one while they were in the Seattle area once.. They might be "legit" but they are not a true agency.. NO REAL agency takes a 'door fee'.

Apr 10 06 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Hunter Shelton

Richmond, Virginia, US

What would make anyone believe one of these "advance fee" outfits is legit?

Check out http://www.easybackgroundcheck.com/proscout.html

Apr 10 06 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lund Photography wrote:
Exactly, I sat in on one while they were in the Seattle area once.. They might be "legit" but they are not a true agency.. NO REAL agency takes a 'door fee'.

Ummm, folks . . . Proscout is not an agency.  They don't claim to be an agency.  That's  not what they do.

Apr 10 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Luciano,

Please do some research about ProScout before considering subjecting yourself or your niece to get involved with them.

There have been many complaints about ProScout.  Try a Google search with the name "Proscout" and "Scam" and you'll get a list of things to check out.

While Proscout isn't neccessarily doing anything illegal, most people say they really don't do anything to help further your career.  They are not a talent agency, just another company that claims to be an agency that will hook you up with a talent agency.

You're a great photographer (one of the few who's talent I really admire), and a good guy as well.  I'd really like to see your efforts put into something that will give you great results.

Apr 10 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'd agree that for Luciano's niece it's probably not a good idea.

Apr 10 06 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

Apr 10 06 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Lund Photography wrote:

They don't pretend to be an agency...they are a service that flies in agents from across the country (and some internationally) to gather into one location.

From my experience, you go to an "open call" to meet with "Pro Scouts."  Usually in a hotel ballroom...you show a few snapshots of yourself to the "Pro Scouts" staff.  Everyone is assigned a number upon registration.  Once everyone has been seen, they start announcing numbers...the numbers they call are asked to stay.  The rest leave...some mumbling profanities under their breath. 

Next, when you're asked to stay, you feel really special because you're "accepted."  Then, they convince you on the great opportunity of meeting face-to-face with several agents at one time for the fee of $700.00.  Again, you feel convinced and special because you were chosen...so, you go ahead and pay the fee to participate.

On the day you meet the agents, there is a possibility that some of the top agency's representatives don't show up!  (Many of the names I had looked forward to didn't arrive.) 

From my experience, only a small percentage of the models were asked back by the agents. 

The callbacks had their cheesy "Brady-Brunch" moments as they hugged their friends and family, but there was no guarantee that they were going to sign with the agents requesting the callback!

Txphotog has an excellent article mentioned above…I can attest to it!!!  I was “financial supportâ€? to the cause.

Apr 10 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

Apr 10 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I did, she went for the first time and she wants to come back...  I call some major agencies and talk with then about, they all said to me the same thing, they enjoy going it's a good chance to get some news talents.  You can call too  if you want.

"I call some major agencies and talk with then about..."

That's all you have to do...is talk with the agencies and ask them how you can submit your niece's photographs directly to them. wink

Seriously, on the other hand…if it is a fun experience to your niece, and the costs are trivial and unimportant, then most importantly: have fun! wink

Apr 10 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

Apr 10 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

She is not a model, I talked with model agencies only. So I can't subimit her for there.

Visit agencies in L.A would be more expensive than the pro scout cuz, not all agencies set apoitment at the same day or time, so she needs to stay in a hotel and local transportation cust and everything else.  she is in a agency who makes this for her sending her material for major agencies, http://www.kidstalent.net/   there is not the point,  more contacts more chances and they offer a good oppurtunity.   why not ?

Me as a photographer I spend at least 400 dollars every month send my postal cards to Ad agencies for art buyers, I spend 100 dolares in I spend 200 in my web site and other sites like portfolios.com and others  however if somebody put all the agencies together in one place and give me the opurttunity to show my work just like they do on these events, I will be there and I would pay a good money for that.

"She is not a model, I talked with model agencies only. So I can't subimit her for there."
Unfortunately, most of the agencies I encountered at the convention were "Editorial" agencies focused on fashion models.

I am assuming that "Orange County" refers to California, not Florida.  There are many other agencies in L.A., aside from the editorial ones.

I realize the agencies tend to have open calls on the same day...at the same time, but why not try one each week?

Apr 10 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

Apr 10 06 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

luciano  Mello wrote:
by the way you are wrong I was at the last one in OC with her and There was not only acting and talent agents also MTV and CBS was there, among others far way from editorial world.
With all do respect , I don't want to discuss this anymore.

Again I just Ask to the models here if there is anyone who is going too ?

Your repertoire with fashion agencies can lead you into contact with the other types of agencies.  They can suggest to you reputable colleagues.

I'm sorry...things may have changed since, but all of the representatives were only from modeling agencies at the time I attended...I am only trying to be resourceful to you...I am only stating this based on my personal experience.  I once wanted to be the models I photograph today.

BUT YOUR WORK IS INCREDIBLE!!!  Great job!  You are an inspiration...you infuse beauty with art!

Apr 10 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Luciano, may I ask how you "know they are legit?"

I have some experience with Proscout since I went with a model to report on them as a media person.  In my opinion it is NOT worth the money!  Why?  Because they tell you they won't make you a promise for the reason that it is a scouting event.  What that means is that the major agencies like Elite and Fords send their "scouts" ... NOT the licensed agents!  I called and asked!  So why is this important to know?  Well the person who said if you can travel to the office of the agency, you'll get seen for FREE is correct!  I sent a young model whose mom paid me to photograph her to the LA Elite and Fords agencies where they met with her and both offered her a contract!  She had missed the Proscout event.  So if you doubt what I say, just look up the agency phone number nearest you and ask!

I interviewed the owner of ProScout on the phone in which he was kind enough to give me much of his time .. selling me on his "event!"  So as long as the fee of $700 is not excessive, then go for it!  It's fun and she will meet other aspiring models, but don't expect much from the event itself.  Even of she does get accepted, she will still need to travel to LA (or where ever else the scout is from) to meet the agents who actually make the final decisions.  I think it is worth spending the money to visit LA since Las Vegas, Nevada is not that far away ... $700 will put her and a parent in a hotel for long enough to get in the door of a few agencies while there!

Apr 10 06 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sigh.  I've actually attended more than two dozen scouting events, including several by Proscout.  I don't want this to come across as endorsing these kinds of events, because I feel they are advisable only for a small subset of the people who attend.  But I would like to set the record straight.

Patrick Walberg wrote:
What that means is that the major agencies like Elite and Fords send their "scouts" ... NOT the licensed agents!

Ford usually does not support scouting events at all because they have their own.  It's very rare for them to show up at one, although I have encountered one of the Ford people (a booker) from the Chicago office at a Proscout.  Elite generally sends Karen Lee, their Director of New Faces, who works in the New York office with the bookers.  She's vastly more than "a scout" - she's the primary person who makes initial decisions about models.  If they don't get past Karen, they don't get into Elite NY.  They will also have a booker from the local office (if there is one nearby).  For instance, they will have someone from NY and Atlanta offices at the event in Atlanta.

The great majority of attendees from agencies are bookers from those agencies, or the agency owners.  There are some "scouts" also, but they are very experienced scouts who have the confidence of the agencies and travel on the model search circuit nearly every week.

And since the people from New York agencies come, the notion of "licensed agents" is nonsense.  There are no licensed model agents in NYC.

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Well the person who said if you can travel to the office of the agency, you'll get seen for FREE is correct!

Yes you can.  However, "free" depends on what it costs you to get there, and if they will let you in.  Commercial agencies generally don't have open calls.  International agencies don't have open calls in the US.  Fashion agencies (which predominate, as Bert said, among the model agencies present) do have open calls - but to get to them you would have to spend a lot of time each in Miami, New York, Los Angeles and, usually, one or two other cities.  Getting to them all can cost a lot more than $500, which is why Proscout can be cost-effective for people who aren't near those major market cities.

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Even of she does get accepted, she will still need to travel to LA (or where ever else the scout is from) to meet the agents who actually make the final decisions.

Yes, she will.  And if she is accepted by the agencies, she will have to relocate to NY or LA or wherever to work.  You can't phone it in, or fly in just for jobs.  It doesn't work that way.

And in my experience, that is the part that always comes as a huge shock to the attendees.  They have this naive notion that they can come and be "discovered" and continue to sit at home, but just go to modeling jobs when they book them.  They have no concept that they have to relocate - and the great majority of people that agencies would be interested in turn down offers because they aren't really prepared to accept them.

Apr 10 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

johnny olsen

Los Angeles, California, US

waste of time

Apr 10 06 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Fotografikos Imagery wrote:
What would make anyone believe one of these "advance fee" outfits is legit?

Check out http://www.easybackgroundcheck.com/proscout.html

Go to this link and READ IT!... it pretty much TRASHES Model Search America AND Proscout... exposing both as scams and ripoffs.  Save your money... Proscout, MSA, IMTA and all these 'traveling dog and pony show' model searches are a MAJOR waste of your time AND (loads of) money... wink

Apr 11 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

tyat

Miami, Florida, US

In my opinion, it could be a rip-off, or it could be worth the money, depending on your situation and what you are looking to get out of it.

My friend's sister has a beautiful daughter. She (the mom) talks about these conventions a whole lot, about how they attended a couple of open calls and  both (mom and daughter) kept getting picked. They haven't gone to an actual convention since it is a lot of money for them. My friend kept telling her not to do it because
-she lives in a major market where there are tons of agencies to walk to
-it is not likely she will need to or be able to move anywhere for her 8-year old to model, if it even comes to that

Anyway, so we talked over dinner (she brings up these "being picked but don't have money to go" thing every time we see each other) about how she can see agencies on her own, etc. Gave her some names of those who specialize in kids. Next time we talked, she was still talking about the next convention-type open call, and we were like, "Um. Do you remember what we talked about last time?"

Lo and behold, she did go to the agency I suggested and was turned down. She was just outraged about how they said her daughter was too short. "Too SHORT?!?! SHE'S A CHILD!!!", she screamed. Apparently the agent called a bunch of kids back according to their photos and gave a lecture on the industry and basically tried to educate the parents about what to expect if your kid starts working. Then some kids were signed and some were sent home for different reasons. And to this, she felt that they misled her into believing they were going to represent her daughter and turned around and sent them home. This, in her mind, made them illegit.

So, the point to this very verbose post is, to yet some people, a shortcut to a quick No is not as good as a long road of pricey and time-wasting Yes-es. People will do a lot to earn the right to brag and feel that they have what it takes but just had to turn it down for whatever reason. As for me, I think I'll just smile and nod next time she talks about being picked YET AGAIN at one of the open calls.

Personally I think it could actually be a good opportunity for the right, albeit very  few, people.

Apr 11 06 01:20 am Link

Model

Zoe Myers

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If you've exhausted every other avenue open to you and you have the money to burn, do a convention.

However, most aspiring models are simply looking for the easy way and they are flattered to be "invited" to attend....flattered that they are asked to PAY MONEY to attend!  that's dumb.

If you are 5'10" and extremely unique, you can probably go to any convention, workshop, class or whatever and you will be scouted heavily.  However, you could also simply WALK THRU THE DOORS of a legit agency and be welcomed FOR FREE.

I've given up trying to educate people about these type of events..they don't do their homework and they dont listn to those of us who have first hadn information about them.  Why do we all bother to try to advise folks who don't listen when you don't say what they want to hear?

Zoe

Apr 11 06 07:01 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Select Models wrote:

Go to this link and READ IT!... it pretty much TRASHES Model Search America AND Proscout... exposing both as scams and ripoffs.  Save your money... Proscout, MSA, IMTA and all these 'traveling dog and pony show' model searches are a MAJOR waste of your time AND (loads of) money... wink

The trouble is, the guy who runs easybackgroundcheck.com is not an industry professional, has an axe to grind, and doesn't know how to put things in proper context.  The article you linked to is a mish-mash of comments on things that are not the same as Proscout (or MSA), and are every bit as misleading as he claims the searches and conventions are. 

That site (and others like it) are good early warning indicators, but they are not good at authoritative judgments about a company.  They just don't have the experience to understand the realities of the industry.  The trouble is, to a reader who also doesn't understand the realities of the industry they look like "truth".

Apr 11 06 09:12 am Link

Model

LETITIA WINN

Chicago, Illinois, US

ModelInstinctive wrote:

They don't pretend to be an agency...they are a service that flies in agents from across the country (and some internationally) to gather into one location.

From my experience, you go to an "open call" to meet with "Pro Scouts."  Usually in a hotel ballroom...you show a few snapshots of yourself to the "Pro Scouts" staff.  Everyone is assigned a number upon registration.  Once everyone has been seen, they start announcing numbers...the numbers they call are asked to stay.  The rest leave...some mumbling profanities under their breath. 

Next, when you're asked to stay, you feel really special because you're "accepted."  Then, they convince you on the great opportunity of meeting face-to-face with several agents at one time for the fee of $700.00.  Again, you feel convinced and special because you were chosen...so, you go ahead and pay the fee to participate.

On the day you meet the agents, there is a possibility that some of the top agency's representatives don't show up!  (Many of the names I had looked forward to didn't arrive.) 

From my experience, only a small percentage of the models were asked back by the agents. 

The callbacks had their cheesy "Brady-Brunch" moments as they hugged their friends and family, but there was no guarantee that they were going to sign with the agents requesting the callback!

Txphotog has an excellent article mentioned above…I can attest to it!!!  I was “financial supportâ€? to the cause.

I agree with you I was chosen to attend a cattle call oops.....Pro-Scout event and let me tell you DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!! It is not what it is cracked up to be at all! Don't get me wrong I was one of the VERY few out of almost a thousand people picked for "Call Backs" and after the excitment of the event wore down I'd never heard back not even once from the agent who chose me. But if you have 700.00 to spend (and I see they up-ed the pot because mines was 650.00) on going to the event for two days the first being spent sitting all day listening to some bonk mc trying to hype you up that you are the next Top Model then being asked to buy their "Agency Approved Pictures" for an additional 135.00 only to flash them very quickly across the faces of people of whom are not paying you any attention because as the mc will state you are not allowed to talk to the agents during the casting process because they are "working". Then go ahead but like stated in some of the other comments you can use that money for a ticket to a larger market and have one on one meetings for free and have a hell of a better chance then going to something like that! Just my opinion smile

Apr 12 06 09:55 am Link