Forums > Photography Talk > How many photogs use Hardware calibration?

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Right now I'm using a Colovision Spyder2 Plus. Mainly was looking foward to the Spyder2, since I use both an LCD and a CRT. Only issue is the Spyder2 software does not yet support dual monitors off the same video card, so I basically have to disable one monitor, calibrate it, then enable the other and calibrate that one. Helps alot considering my left CRT is an old BNC-style hookup from like '94, but its a 21" flat surface glass, so I wanted to keep it around.

I wanted the Gretag Macbeth Eye-One, but I'm not quite that rich. How bout you folks?

Jul 06 05 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Yup, the eye-one for me. Absolute necessity if you're serious about your work.

Jul 06 05 01:34 am Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I have a 20" Sony Trinitron CRT. Love it. Have not had any calibration problems yet.

Jul 06 05 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

That you know of big_smile ... sorry, I'm just to the point that if you dont have a hardware calibration system, its not likely truely calibrated (in my opinion). Don't normally notice til you see the difference. But then again my Apple Studio Display when it got calibrated, wasnt that greatly off from what I had it at before.

The other hardware calibration I seen other than Eye-One was the X-Rite Monaco system ( their HQ is where I live ), but I have not heard much about it.

Chris, do you use it for just the monitor, or are yuo also calibrating your printer with it as well etc.

Jul 06 05 02:32 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

I own an old ColorVision Spyder and a Monaco Optix calibrator, have used Sony's Artisan calibrator and LaCie BlueEye, and currently use Gretag-Macbeth's eyeOne Photo spectrophotometer for calibrating printers. I used to own a Squid, but sold it shortly after getting the Optix.

Both imaging monitors are calibrated every Monday--or at least 3 out of 4 of 'em. Drift is very minor on the 1 year old 2070 (main), but not quite so minor on the 3 year old Sony, or I'd just do monthly checks.

Jul 06 05 04:08 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I've got the monitor calibration tool, but nothing for the printer. Veering toward having large prints done professionally anyway.

The difference before and after calibration of my monitor was amazing, I must say.

Jul 06 05 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Duck Photography

San Diego, California, US

I got the older spyder. Are the newer ones any better?

Jul 06 05 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

I used to sneer at digital photography until a buddy of mine came out with his Spyder and calibrated my display, then hooked his Epson 2200 (with profile) up to my machine and made a few prints. I "got" it at that moment.

One photographer I shoot with uses the same rig as I've got but has never profiled anything and gets terrific prints, too. But it took him weeks of learning that he needed to nudge this curve this way a bit and that tone needed more contrast, etc. I suspect that he spent a lot of $$ in paper and ink trying to get himself happy with his results.

So I see profiling your gear as a short-cut to producing "what you see is what you get" color - and that represents a cost and time savings that's really attractive to me. I never would have even tried digital printing without being able to see an immediate qualitative advantage.

How I profile now: Spyder on the flat panel, Cathy's Profiles for my printer. Total investment: under $50.   "Under $50?" when a Spyder costs quite a chunk? Yeah. I teamed up with several other photographers and we jointly bought a Spyder. The spyder lives with whoever used it last and gets mailed to whoever needs it next. Using Cathy's profiles meant not buying a full color management suite and the results are excellent. http://www.cathysprofiles.com

mjr.

Jul 06 05 08:25 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Has the GretagMacbeth and I am that rich

Jul 06 05 08:33 am Link

Photographer

ErnieR

Paragould, Arkansas, US

I use the Monaco Optix, I hope the spider 2 is much better than the original because it sucked.  It couldn't get any two monitors to even look close to each other.  With the Monaco my Powerbook, eMac and PowerMac all look great.

Jul 06 05 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Ephotique

Prescott, Arizona, US

I also use the Gretag Macbeth Eye-One to calibrate both our dual-LCD studio computers (MAC G5 and a PC) and also our Epson 9600, 2200 and 1270 printers.  It does a great job and is simple and painless calibrate everything with this software.

BTW, I had the Spyder I prior to the Gretag Macbeth Eye-One.  The Gretag Macbeth Eye-One is MUCH better/easier to use.

Best regards,
John
Ephotique

Jul 06 05 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I calibrate just my monitor.

I farmed out printer calibration to a lab with a much better system, and had it done for the two papers I normally use.

Jul 06 05 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

C00P

Anaheim, California, US

I calibrate my monitor with a Pantone Colorvision Color Plus.

Only nitpick is that it's hard to keep it in the right position for a LCD unless you either lay the monitor on it's back or sit there with your finger on the dongle while it does it's thing.

Jul 06 05 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Chicago, Illinois, US

I use the Spyder 2.  You absolutely must calibrate!  Unless of course your colors and tones mean nothing to you!  Also, it helps to have a good monitor.  There are many sites and pro photogs which will recommend better monitors, but the definitely cost $$$.  I personally use Apple Studio displays and love them to death.  I use dual displays when editing and it works wonders with all the palettes and such with PS.  Just my 2 cents....

Jul 06 05 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Terrill

Marion, North Carolina, US

Gretag Macbeth Eye-One for my monitors and then a scanner based program for my printer profiles.  Since the majority of my work is knives and will be published each month, getting that "just right" color is a requirement.

Jul 06 05 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Ok what you guys talkin about?
Ive never calibrated anything!!

Jul 06 05 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 
Ok what you guys talkin about?
Ive never calibrated anything!!

If you're interested in controling the colors in your photos from camera to monitor to print, you need color management (of which monitor calibration is a part).  Here's an intro to color management.

Jul 06 05 06:30 pm Link