Forums > Photography Talk > Models and Paid shooting

Photographer

Kris Debus Photography

Cedar Park, Texas, US

I have seen a disturbing new trend on MM...models who state they will work paid only and will not pay a photographer to shoot them...the main "reason" I have seen used is "this is my work, and I won't pay someone else to shoot me" 

I find this odd and wonder why that is....any other photographers run into this and have any explanation other than the obvious?

Feb 12 09 05:44 am Link

Photographer

Roy Levi

Sandnes, Nordland, Norway

Kris Debus Photography wrote:
I have seen a disturbing new trend on MM...models who state they will work paid only and will not pay a photographer to shoot them...the main "reason" I have seen used is "this is my work, and I won't pay someone else to shoot me" 

I find this odd and wonder why that is....any other photographers run into this and have any explanation other than the obvious?

I don't suppose it's much different from photographers who say that they do this for a living, and they won't trade or pay (a model) to work, even if it is to extend their portfolio. It's a valid point, provided you can get paid assignments.

I suppose it all depends on where you are in your life and where you are hoping to go.

Feb 12 09 07:14 am Link

Photographer

A_Nova_Photography

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, US

There are a few around my area who have the "I don't work for free." They also have all the concepts they want to shoot and a very lacking port and I'm sure they don't have a real book either... I just move on to the next one, oh well...

Feb 12 09 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Glamorous Imaging

Atlanta, Georgia, US

ACPhotography wrote:
There are a few around my area who have the "I don't work for free." They also have all the concepts they want to shoot and a very lacking port and I'm sure they don't have a real book either... I just move on to the next one, oh well...

No sense in trying to argue with models that have numerous self-portrait images taken with a cell phone into the bathroom mirror.  Best case scenario, I offer to pay them for their gasoline and if they decline......time to move on.

Feb 12 09 07:22 am Link

Photographer

MikeBelobradic

Hillsburgh, Ontario, Canada

It could be any number of reasons, but if a model (or photographer for that matter) really has reached the point in their career where their schedule is filled to their liking with paid shoots, then more power to them as far as I am concerned. I hope I reach that day someday...only doing selective free shoots for things that I particularly want to do.

Feb 12 09 07:48 am Link

Photographer

BYS

Paris, Île-de-France, France

they must be spectacular
tb

Feb 12 09 07:52 am Link

Model

Anomalia Collaborat

New Brunswick, New Jersey, US

Some of us who charge do so on a case by case basis.  If your work cannot be added to my port, then I charge.  Otherwise, pay my travel and we're square..

If your work is amazing and makes my head spin.. I'll pay your expenses..

All is fair in love and shooting

Feb 12 09 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Jessica Kempen

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

Well I would say one thing nice about working with someone you pay- you don't need to give them photos since it is not a trade situation.

Just a bright spot for ya.

Feb 12 09 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Sungoddess Studios

Keyport, New Jersey, US

I have my 3 cell phone pictures and expect to be paid even though I have 0 experience

Feb 12 09 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

To me, it's simple...

Everyone has the right to ask for whatever compensation he/she wants.

The other party has the right to accept, decline, or make a counteroffer.

Anything else is nobody's business.

Don't worry about it.  These things tend to take care of themselves.  If a model demands paid work only, either she'll get paid work (in which case she's justified) or she won't (in which case she'll consider TFP or give up modeling). 

All you need to know is this:  if you don't want to pay a model, then don't.  Trying to discuss it here makes you sound like a newbie.

Feb 12 09 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

There are 1000s of talented, professional, and reasonable models available, and some of them are on MM.  Why would you waste your time working with those that are not?

When you have something valuable to trade, reasonable models will always be eager to work with you.  Its a waste to worry about the rest.

Feb 12 09 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Scott Spellman Photo wrote:
There are 1000s of talented, professional, and reasonable models available, and some of them are on MM.  Why would you waste your time working with those that are not?

Doesn't your statement imply that models requesting payment are not talented, professional, or reasonable?

Scott Spellman Photo wrote:
When you have something valuable to trade, reasonable models will always be eager to work with you.  Its a waste to worry about the rest.

Everything is negotiable.  But there is no guarantee that two parties will reach an accommodation.

Feb 12 09 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Angelfactory

Foley, Minnesota, US

If you notice it's a lot of copycat formats. The noobs see what others that maybe have a lot of experience and did their time in the trenches have put and put the same thing on their page not knowing they are being rediculous. And then there are cases of unworthy divas and then there are those that ARE just that damn good. It's just a starting point, it's not in stone in most cases. Aim high and let the chips fall where they will I supose is the mentality.More harm then good as you pointed out being discouraged by this but to each their own.

Feb 12 09 08:13 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

It happens all the time.  And you see photographers who ask to be paid.  The obvious is that they want to make money.  Sometimes it's even more obvious that they set their sights too high.

There's a local girl who has probably one shoot under her belt and it was nude.  But she wants paid jobs now.  I just don't see it happening.

Feb 12 09 08:14 am Link

Model

amanda logue

Albany, California, US

If your a new model or photographer and lack experience and skills I agree you should not be demanding paid work only.However just because you have experience,skills and are successfully doing your job as a professional you should still not post in your profile I will not pay a model/photographer..

I see it like this if I contact you out of the blue and ask to shoot with you then you should either offer me a trade,pay or your rates...If the photographer contacts me then I should have the same right to offer a trade,pay his/her rates or give you my rates...That is buisness and is done this way in all types of jobs not just modeling and photgrpahy...

Feb 12 09 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

So are you saying MM is for amateur models only, professionals need not apply?

Feb 12 09 08:43 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I found a market in nude modeling, I make money off of that market.
I love what I do, I have turned what many people do for a hobby into a full time job for the past several years.

Feb 12 09 08:51 am Link