Forums > Photography Talk > Where do I get power in abandoned buildings?

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

I was just wondering... I would love to shoot outdoors. In construction sites, abandonned buildings, old graveyards (with permission) etc.
One of the things which kept me from was, that I couldn't get some power in there. Somehow the extention cord wouldn't get me too far. Do I have to rely on the original light?
I gues it comes down to a power generator. But what kind of. I don't want it too noisy - but since I'm chaep I don't want it too expensive either... yikes)
Any experiences in that matter around here?

Jul 06 05 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

You can always by a power inverter. That takes 12 volts DC and converts it to 120AC. Just add up your wattage and buy the size you need.

Mike

Jul 06 05 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

most studio lighting manufactures have portable power supplies, usually battery powered invertors..

my alien bees unit was around $300 if i remember right

Jul 06 05 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Boy I am glad Doug dropped in... Make SURE your equiptment can be powered by an invertor. Some equiptment can be harmed by the use of an invertor.

Side note: Hey Doug do you have your generator and blue roof tarp ready?

Mike

Jul 06 05 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I have only used generators or powerful hand held unit such as the 60 CT 4. 

How is the invertor different from the generator? 
What type of battery does it work off?  Any?

Jul 06 05 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Jul 06 05 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by marksora: 
I have only used generators or powerful hand held unit such as the 60 CT 4. 

How is the invertor different from the generator? 
What type of battery does it work off?  Any?

They work off of 12v car batteries.
Power Inverter

They are different because a generator is a gas powered engine that powers an alternator that produces AC power.

Jul 06 05 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

i actually used my car to charge my vagabond unit, so i had lights after charley..still abunch of blue tarps in my neighborhood from the last go 'round..

Jul 06 05 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

i actually used my car to charge my vagabond unit, so i had lights after charley..still abunch of blue tarps in my neighborhood from the last go 'round..

Thank God we only caught a little bit of each. One broken window. I used a power inverter to run my computer and TV. Handy things they are.

Jul 06 05 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

dyna-lite makes a nice inverter, runs a 1000ws pack. Should be safe to use with most packs that power or lower. runs about $1200  though and is good for ~700 pops at full power. Pure sine wave inverter so it's cleaner than a lot of AC outlets. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … 315&is=REG

Jul 06 05 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

ThruMyLens Photography

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

The difference between power sources is the output wave generated. True AC is a sine-wave output. Some inverters or power generaters may created a stepped square wave instead. There are power filtering/conditioning devices you can use that will rectify the output to a pure sine wave.

An inexpensive solution is to buy a Deep Cycle lead-acid battery and a quality power inverter. Deep Cycle batteries are built to handle long-duration discharge cycles (extended use). An inexpsive trickle charger/conditioner would recharge it after you got back.

As for the power inverter, read the fine print. Most are rated showing their PEAK output, with nominal ouput often being half that. For strobes, not a problem since they are more of surge just during charging cycles. For hot-lamps and other steady-power devices you should be a bit more conservative.

Sealed lead-acid batteries can also work, but have less capacity. You can buy several and connect them in parallel (NOT in series) to get more runtime.

Jul 06 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Look around for the power lines comming in,in most cases they dont turn off the power they just remove the meter...

Hint!!

Honda generator is the only generator worth mentioning!!

Quiet and very dependable..

Inverters are very Rockin dont leave home without 2 of them!!

Use a 350 watt and a 1000 watt

And a size 27 deepcycle battery

The inverter will run everything but my printer

Jul 06 05 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 
Look around for the power lines comming in,in most cases they dont turn off the power they just remove the meter...

Hint!!

Inverters are very Rockin dont leave home without 2 of them!!

Use a 350 watt and a 1000 watt

And a size 27 deepcycle battery

The inverter will run everything but my printer

Honda does make a really nice generator that is designed to work with electronics. i.e. producing a sine wave and not a sawtooth wave.

Jul 06 05 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Do what we do... get yourself a 1000 foot extention cord and mooch power off the building down the street... LOL!

Jul 06 05 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Britek Lights makes a battery operated Strobe that was on sale for $100 a few weeks ago. A friend picked one up and for a basic light with only full or half power and no model light when running on batteries it's not a bad light for the money runs on 8 AA I think or maybe 6

Jul 06 05 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

ethan long

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Hartsoe: 
One of the things which kept me from was, that I couldn't get some power in there. Somehow the extention cord wouldn't get me too far. Do I have to rely on the original light?
I gues it comes down to a power generator. But what kind of. I don't want it too noisy - but since I'm chaep I don't want it too expensive either... yikes)
Any experiences in that matter around here?

I rely on good old sunlight...

Jul 06 05 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

digitaljpeg

Doylestown, Ohio, US

You bring a Honda generator with you

Jul 06 05 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

I have rented Broncolor Mobil 16000Ws capacity and I am in the process of buying  Profoto's B2 1200Ws units end of month.

Jul 06 05 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Uuhh - geez... never thought there were so many different solutions... yikes)

Thanks to all of you - I do aprecciate it! I will check every of your replies (hehe - it will take me a while yikes) )  and then decide what to get.
But I'm glad of the variety here - it shows me (again) what a great place this is to get started in photography...

Jul 06 05 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Hartsoe: 
Uuhh - geez... never thought there were so many different solutions... yikes)

Thanks to all of you - I do aprecciate it! I will check every of your replies (hehe - it will take me a while yikes) )  and then decide what to get.
But I'm glad of the variety here - it shows me (again) what a great place this is to get started in photography...

Yes this is a Great Place!! (:---

Jul 06 05 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Ephotique

Prescott, Arizona, US

Posted by Doug Harvey: 
Honda does make a really nice generator that is designed to work with electronics. i.e. producing a sine wave and not a sawtooth wave.

Agreed!  I have the Honda 2000i.  I had borrowed a 2000i a few weeks ago for a night time shoot in a local park.  We used it to power 2 Alien Bee 1600's, a portable computer and a Wireless Access Point so that we were able to shoot wireless and transmit the images directly to the portable, view the shots and know we got the shots that we needed.  The Honda is whisper quiet... as quiet as conversation between 2 people... and it can run nearly 20 hours on a single tank of gas. (and it weighs in at just at or under 50 pounds.)  I order mine a few days afterward.

Its also nice to have it around in case of a power failure. :-)

Best regards,
John

Jul 06 05 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Just realize that the Honda is a gas-powered generator - I don't know how what kind of emissions it gives off nor the noise for indoor use. They are called "super-quiet," but that's compared to *what*? They're also not very flexible when it comes to travel - you can't take gas-powered generators on planes.

The dyna-lite and broncolor, on the other hand, are battery-based, compact and safe to travel with (although you should give the TSA a heads-up about traveling with lead batteries). They're also silent. But they're designed to do ONE thing: power strobes. Plug a laptop or hotlights into one and it's drained in a hot second (or two). Gas-powered generators have the edge in flexibility there, and was mentioned earlier, can be pressed into service during things like power failures.

Jul 06 05 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Todd S.

I'm sorry to be following my own post, but I wanted to make it clear that I'm NOT dissing gas-powered generators. I weighed the benefits of both and went with battery. I can easily see buying a gas generator for other purposes though.

Jul 06 05 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Ephotique: 

Posted by Doug Harvey: 

Agreed!  I have the Honda 2000i.  I had borrowed a 2000i a few weeks ago for a night time shoot in a local park.  We used it to power 2 Alien Bee 1600's, a portable computer and a Wireless Access Point so that we were able to shoot wireless and transmit the images directly to the portable, view the shots and know we got the shots that we needed.  The Honda is whisper quiet... as quiet as conversation between 2 people... and it can run nearly 20 hours on a single tank of gas. (and it weighs in at just at or under 50 pounds.)  I order mine a few days afterward.

Its also nice to have it around in case of a power failure. :-)

Best regards,
John

Same experience. Didn't have all the wireless stuff, but it worked great, very quite, stable power is what sold me as well as knowing a lot about electronics.

Jul 06 05 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Robbie Wolf Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Don't forget that a gas generator puts out carbon monoxide like any gasoline engine. There were a few people in Florida last year who forgot that and managed to kill themselves after the hurricanes by running generators inside their homes. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation if you are shooting inside an abandoned building or put the generator outside and run a long cord into the building.

Jul 06 05 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

If it is a well ventillated area, gas generator is the way to go. If not. I use yacht batteries and an inverter.

Jul 07 05 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Brian Kim: 
If it is a well ventillated area, gas generator is the way to go. If not. I use yacht batteries and an inverter.

Oh Yacht Batteries!!
Oh how convienient!!

Of course they are old ones from your personal Yacht!!

(:---

Jul 07 05 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Harstoe, For me there is only one way (generators make noise, invertors have to be close to cars[where would you put the car in a cemetery?]. For a long long time when I need power outdoors I use my American made Norman 200s. I have the 30 year old one with the third generation batteries. One of my Normans I had modified to be a 400 (as in watt seconds). These units are dependable, indistructible and some even come with international chargers that switch from 110 to 220. I cannot speak more highly of these very good flash units. Armed with an efficient softbox (one that has a silver interior) you can photograph about 75 uniformed young girls (nice shot that one!) per battery. With one unit and two batteries you are set. And then an old Norman is retro and you can find them in eBay.

Jul 07 05 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

All depends on how much you need. A 12 volt inverter has different power outputs. Of course the higher it is the more it drains your battery. They're best used with independent batteries you can take along. Inverters and batterey powered lights must have backup batteries. Not all batteries are created equal and some die out much sooner than others.

The other which is also mentioned is the gas generator which is I what would use with an exhaust hose out the window if kept inside. The hose will also greatly quiet the engine, of course not to mention keep you from dying from exhaust fumes.

Jul 07 05 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Posted by alexwh: 
Harstoe, For me there is only one way (generators make noise, invertors have to be close to cars[where would you put the car in a cemetery?].

"It Depends" smile

I've been using an old Xantrex XPower 600 600 watt inverter/40 amp-hour battery unit to power my Speedotron 800 packs (805, 802, 802b, depending), and it's good for around 200 full-power shots (or 350+ 400 watt pops, etc.). Since it has  large wheels, and all of those packs fit on top, I use it as a cart for the power pack.

It's NOT as lightweight as a Norman 200B/C, 400B, a Quantum, or Lumedyne, but at $130 for the unit, I could use my existing studio lights on location as long as it wasn't too remote and/or the terrain wasn't too rough.

The 600 has been discontinued (which is how I got it for that price), but the XPower 1500 (60 amp-hour, also with wheels, 1500 watt inverter) is still available, and isn't that expensive either. (Neither is a good choice for many (most?) monolights--they don't generate a pure-enough sinewave for some modern designs.)

Jul 07 05 06:46 pm Link