Forums > Photography Talk > Any Photographers Doing Their Own MU/Styling?

Photographer

stalure

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Just wondering if any photographers here do their own MU / Styling for shoots. One of the problems being based out of CT is it is difficult to find a MUA/Stylist that has the experience and availability.

I think its important to know the basics but what are your feelings on the topic? Or better yet, how do you handle the situation?

P.S. If anyone knows any good MUA / Stylist in CT please let me know..haha

- M

Jul 06 05 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Temple City, California, US

I recieved my AA in Photography in a local Jr. College and I also took some Make up and fashion design classes. I had been told by many photographers how nessary it was to be able to do hair and make up with models since it is so hard to get a hold of a good MUA. I not only shoot them i make them up as well.

Jul 06 05 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I am in the process of learning Makeup.  I have a full very large high quality kit.  But even separating myself from the camera during set up is harder than it looks.

I want to know for simple shoots, emergencies and maybe more.  Makeup and hair is harder than it looks.

Jul 06 05 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

stalure

I agree a 100% mark. It definately is worth taking the time to learn though...

Im going to try and hookup with some MUA's @ Fashion Week in Sept and see where I can take it. Its getting frustrating.

Jul 06 05 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Fashion Man

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Yes, and have been sense my MUA moved to New York. A great way to express yourself artisticly.....

KMax    http://public.fotki.com/kenton/     

Jul 06 05 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

stalure

Awesome stuff Kmax...!!

:-)

Jul 06 05 01:32 pm Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

i've worked with several photographers that do makeup too.  also, i know a few models who took formal training to learn makeup (MAC Pro, etc).

i like having a dedicated MUA/hair stylist on set, but they are often harder to book than the photogs!!!  so, i guess i can see why a photog would be better off if he/she knew how to do basic makeup.

but for dramatic, true "artistry", i'm pro-MUA for sure.  wink

Z

Jul 06 05 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Most MUA's I work with don't do hair, so I usually do the hair for my shoots with the longer-haired models,

Star

Jul 06 05 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Star: 
Most MUA's I work with don't do hair, so I usually do the hair for my shoots with the longer-haired models,

Star

I state this with the difference of a shoot for the model and a one for a client or a spec to go into a magazine. 

I find that the hairstylist to be often but not always more important with many models than is the makeup artist.  But it varies greatly on what you are shooting and whom.

I do not have an ongoing love affair with photoshop, for she has been overused and has been around the block.

But with that said,  A picture can be rescued from a pimple but it is much harder to rescue "bad hair".

That is my story for this hour.

Jul 06 05 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

stalure

Great post Mark...I think alot of attention is put on the makeup and the hair is ignored too often...

Jul 07 05 09:27 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I almost always style my models, but makeup is something different. I think having a makeup artist adds another dimension to the shoot. The makeup artist I use, really helps the models get comfortable and relaxed before we start shooting.

Jul 12 05 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Viva Van Story

Long Branch, New Jersey, US

I do almost every hairstyle on my models!  I used to do make-up and still do sometimes but now I just prefer doing the hair since I love over-the-top pin-up styles.  I also provide most of the wardrobe for my shoots.   I guess you could say I'm a bit controlling and like everything to be just perfect for my shoots. 

Jul 12 05 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Like with many specialized areas of my life... taxes, cooking, my daily calendar... I pay professionals to do these things for me. Accountant, eat out, secretary, MUA, hairstylist, etc. What I really need is a maid...

For getting a good MUA, the 2 I use most often I got from the MAC counter at Macy's and from the Aveda counter as a referral.

Jul 12 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Zairias Photography

Belleville, Illinois, US

I have done both make-up and hair. I just ask that they arrive  11/2 hours before I am scheduled to shoot if they want me to do it. Depending on what I'm shooting, make-up doesn't take long but hair, can take a while.

Sarah

Jul 13 05 01:56 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by mmaler: 
P.S. If anyone knows any good MUA / Stylist in CT please let me know..haha

Tracey?

Jul 13 05 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Elin Striga

Örebro, Örebro, Sweden

Often my models do their own hair and makeup but for those who refuse to do their makeup if the MUA cancels I do it for them. But I rarely do hair. I sometimes have an assistant who is great with hair creations though.

https://modelmayhem.com/pics/20050601/1/429dd7dc88b9b_m.jpg
https://modelmayhem.com/pics/20050628/1/42c14560ef246_m.jpg
Makeup and photos by me (original sizes in my gallery)

Jul 13 05 08:05 am Link