Forums > General Industry > Defining Terms

Photographer

datadr

Vancouver, Washington, US

First I would like to introduce myself as a new member here. I hail from Portland OR/ and Dallas TX.

Now I would like to see a concise definition on the following modeling styles.

Fashion, Casual, Swimsuit ( think it speaks for itself), Glamour, Nude,
Fetish.

And all those other terms that are thrown about. For example I saw a model ad recently that said she did glamour, but her images showed her topless. So I saw another ad for a glamour model, contacted her, and was told she did'nt do topless, but would do sheer.
Somewhere there has to be a definition. If there isn't one, perhaps there needs to be one.

Thanks

Datadr

Jul 06 05 06:25 pm Link

Model

lisamona

Toronto, Iowa, US

like one smart photographer told me:
Fashion- "F you"
Glamour- "F me" attitude
casual i think speaks for itself as well as swimsuit
nude/seminude- nakedfully or not fully
implied Nude where you are naked but doesnt really show anything.
fetish .. i think its when the model is handcuffs/ ropes stuff like that.

hope i helped...
and welcome to MM
~K

Jul 06 05 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

To me glamour is lingerie pushed to the next level. It can include nudity, implied nudity and sheer lingerie. It also tneds to have a setting. Lingerie can just be the model in a bra and panties sitting on a chair. Glamour would be more located in the bed room or perhaps the bathtub. Fetish is a tricky one. For the most part fetish is bondage but it can also fall into body parts. If someone just wants a to photos of feet that is a fetsih but from my stand point light bondage is fetish. Of course what do I know. I've only been at this a few months.

Jul 06 05 08:08 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Someone keeps posting a "new models" website... that has most areas defined.... hopefully they'll post the link here for you to use too smile

Jul 07 05 01:03 am Link

Model

Katty

Posted by Sara Green: 
Someone keeps posting a "new models" website... that has most areas defined.... hopefully they'll post the link here for you to use too smile

Here it is smile
www.newmodels.com

Jul 07 05 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

I read almost that whole newmodels.com website and it was pretty intresting. Now I really have no desire to work with a model who deals with an agency, sounds like the pain in the ass I've heard it usually is. I guess I prefer the "glamour" models to the fashion or commercial since the ones I have booked with are all under 5'9 and I dealt with them directly and not an agency, very easy.

Jul 07 05 01:18 am Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

*AHEM* take is from a model who does fetish modeling.  There are different kinds of fetish modeling-
BDSM fetish: ropes, cuffs, whips, chains, any other bondage gear
and Fetish Fashion (also simply called "fetish"): tightly-laced corsets (not talking stuff you buy at lingerie stores), super-high heels (5" +), PVC, Leather, and Latex clothing...and a whole lot of it!

Jul 07 05 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Well I just started my own thread on "glamour," a post I've been meaning to make for a long time about something that bugs the shit out of me.

Another thing that bugs the shit out of me is "casual," someone here already said it speaks for it self, maybe so if you're an OMP person, but I say what in the fucking hell is casual for god's sake? It doesn't mean anything if you ask me, it's a bizarre made up term, I assume made up by OMP, but I have no idea. It means absolutely nothing in the real world of modeling or photography, there is no such category. I'd never heard of it until occasionally looking through OMP portfolios, and even in looking there it doesn't seem to have any particular meaning judging by the variety of photos I've seen it applied to.

Jul 07 05 04:40 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by datadr: 
I saw a model ad recently that said she did glamour, but her images showed her topless.

Topless isn't exactly nudes, now is it?

lol

So I saw another ad for a glamour model, contacted her, and was told she did'nt do topless, but would do sheer.

Sounds good to me.

smile

Jul 07 05 07:44 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Aaron_H: 
Another thing that bugs the shit out of me is "casual," someone here already said it speaks for it self, maybe so if you're an OMP person, but I say what in the fucking hell is casual for god's sake?

I suggest dictionary.com

It means absolutely nothing in the real world of modeling or photography, there is no such category.

God, when will you people ever shut up about your "REAL WORLD" modeling.  You want Real World?  Watch MTV or something.

Jul 07 05 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by MichaelBell: 
Now I really have no desire to work with a model who deals with an agency, sounds like the pain in the ass I've heard it usually is.

Welcome to MM - I don't know what you heard as far as agency or agency models but there are a ton of positive reasons to shoot them.

- first off, you have to prove that you can provide the type of images the agency needs in order to market their girls, so it's a higher level of photography
- your skills will improve becasue you are now shooting for agency approval which means that you are now producing a product that includes, hair and makeup, clothing and the correct location based on the clothes and desired look - you will be responsible for everything
- no BS in terms of no shows or unusual attitudes, if you have a problem, simply call the agency and they'll handle it
- these girls will get commercial work so you'll have girls that are known by ad agencies which further promote you
- huge selection of marketable girls / guys - once you get to the point to where they allow you to choose who you want
- first step towards getting to the level of shooting for ad agencies
- more exposure in the commercial world

There are more reasons but this all I can think of for now.

Jul 07 05 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

Posted by Aaron_H: 
Another thing that bugs the shit out of me is "casual," someone here already said it speaks for it self, maybe so if you're an OMP person, but I say what in the fucking hell is casual for god's sake?

I suggest dictionary.com

I know what the word means you total moron, but it's meaningless as a modeling category.

It means absolutely nothing in the real world of modeling or photography, there is no such category.

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
God, when will you people ever shut up about your "REAL WORLD" modeling.  You want Real World?  Watch MTV or something.

Probably never, there's no reason to. When will you ever shut up period? Unfortunately I already know the answer to that.

Jul 07 05 08:10 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Aaron,
The term "casual" is a misnomer, an Internet thing. 

It would be more clearly defined (and termed) as lifestyle, commercial or editorial.  Each of those terms can crossover to other areas as well, such as editorial fashion.

The term "casual" does not define distinct enough purpose, thus if you wanted to book an agency model for casual shots the booker would likely respond with, "Huh?"

Jul 07 05 08:42 am Link

Photographer

piers

London, Arkansas, US

Casual: adjective
* unconcerned
- done or acting without sufficient care or thoroughness.
* happening by chance.

That will explain why no one wants to work with models who put it on their profile ;-)

My peeve: 'portrait modelling' - WTF?

Jul 07 05 09:09 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by lisamona: 
like one smart photographer told me:
Fashion- "F you"
Glamour- "F me" attitude

(raises hand) it was me...

Jul 07 05 10:37 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

artisitc = makes the photographer look good
fashion = makes the clothes look good
glamour = makes the model look good

Jul 07 05 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by datadr: 
First I would like to introduce myself as a new member here. I hail from Portland OR/ and Dallas TX.

Fetish.

And all those other terms that are thrown about. For example I saw a model ad recently that said she did glamour, but her images showed her topless. So I saw another ad for a glamour model, contacted her, and was told she did'nt do topless, but would do sheer.
Somewhere there has to be a definition. If there isn't one, perhaps there needs to be one.

Thanks

Datadr

Datadr,
  You can't rely on definitions for these types of terms.  There are no solid definitions that everyone agrees on and there never will be.  Just be clear and specific up front when discussing the details of a shoot with a model.  That's the only way to make sure everyone understands each other.

Jul 08 05 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
artisitc = makes the photographer look good
fashion = makes the clothes look good
glamour = makes the model look good

I LOVE it!  I've got to get this tattooed somewhere.  Perfect definitions...

Then, of course, there's MY photography, which makes no one look good... smile

Jul 08 05 01:59 pm Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

West Hollywood, California, US

Posted by datadr: 

Fetish.

Thanks

Datadr

my definitions:

Glamour - An air of compelling charm, romance, and excitement, especially when delusively alluring.

to me this is a sample of glamour (there is no nude in glamour)
https://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2004/03/01/image603135x.jpg

Fashion to me can be lingerie, swimsuit, outfit that is new, refreshing, latest style, off the wall designs, trend setting.

Nude (again to me) is the chest or pelvic area showing

fetish - tied up, taped up, chained up, ball thing in mouth, grinding heals in someones private area,  whips or any other items bound around a person tight (at least this is what i've seen on various peoples pages that are labeled fetish.

I can see there are many different views to what this is. Mostly I do not understand when people started defining glamour as nudes.. two totally different things to me

Jul 08 05 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by AshleyDanielle: 
I can see there are many different views to what this is. Mostly I do not understand when people started defining glamour as nudes.. two totally different things to me

Glamour can have an element of nudity to it just like fashion can.  It's not the presence or absence of clothing that makes glamour, it's the more the atmosphere or emotion evoked by the photo, like what you stated in your definition of glamour.

IMO, that photo you posted as an example is not glamour at all.  It's red carpet paparazzi.  I would agree that the dress and woman could be described as glamourous but it's a terrible photo and not a "glamour" photo (I hate all this red carpet celebrity stuff so please excuse me if that sounded a little harsh).

I don't think of nude as a genre or style of photography, I think of it as an element that may or may not be present within various styles, i.e. fashion, glamour, artistic (this term bugs me too but that's another debate) etc.

Jul 08 05 03:44 pm Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

West Hollywood, California, US

Posted by Gary Davis: 

Glamour can have an element of nudity to it just like fashion can.  It's not the presence or absence of clothing that makes glamour, it's the more the atmosphere or emotion evoked by the photo, like what you stated in your definition of glamour.

IMO, that photo you posted as an example is not glamour at all.  It's red carpet paparazzi.  I would agree that the dress and woman could be described as glamourous but it's a terrible photo and not a "glamour" photo (I hate all this red carpet celebrity stuff so please excuse me if that sounded a little harsh).

I don't think of nude as a genre or style of photography, I think of it as an element that may or may not be present within various styles, i.e. fashion, glamour, artistic (this term bugs me too but that's another debate) etc.

LOL I meant her not the photo, but for lack of a quick choice online as what I thought of someone glamourous.. how she looks is what I mean. Not harsh at all, I should of stated "her" in the photo (hair, face, figure, dress) and not the photo it's self. Hard to find exactly what you want when you want it tho tongue

Jul 08 05 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

LOL I meant her not the photo, but for lack of a quick choice online as what I thought of someone glamourous.. how she looks is what I mean. Not harsh at all, I should of stated "her" in the photo (hair, face, figure, dress) and not the photo it's self. Hard to find exactly what you want when you want it tho tongue

Ah ok, I gotcha.  As a photographer I tend to look at the overall photograph first smile

Jul 08 05 04:24 pm Link